Log in or Register

Insurance Quotes
forums Campsite Search Comp Directory tips virtual brochure Profile
Tent and Awning Reviews Competitions Caravans and Motorhomes For Sale Shopping Diary Contact Us

Index : Towing and Towcars : The driving licence you need to tow a caravan or trailer - by UKCampsite.co.uk

Choose another section:  

The driving licence you need to tow a caravan or trailer

There is often some confusion over what type of driving licence you require to tow a caravan or trailer. Below are some guidelines to what you need to know, as provided by Directgov. If in any doubt over your entitlement, please consult the Driving Licencing Agency, or the Directgov website below.

Car licences held before 1 January 1997

All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. ( maximum authorised mass (MAM) of vehicles and trailers - this should be taken to mean the permissible maximum weight, also known as the gross vehicle weight )

Car driving licence first obtained since 1 January 1997

If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

The car and trailer practical driving test

The car and trailer test (B+E) is based on the lorry driving test and lasts for approximately one hour. Please note that B+E tests are conducted at vocational (bus and lorry) driving test centres.

The towing test (B+E) includes vehicle safety questions, an off-road reverse manoeuvre, a controlled stop, uncoupling and coupling of the trailer and driving on the road.

You won't be expected to carry out the following exercises:
  • emergency stop on the public road
  • reversing round a corner
  • reverse parking
  • turning in the road

Vehicle safety questions

These are basic safety checks that you should carry out to ensure the vehicle is safe for use. Although some checks may involve opening the bonnet to identify where fluid levels would be checked, you won't be asked to touch a hot engine or physically check fluid levels.

As vehicle technology advances, more and more vehicles are being equipped with electronic diagnostic systems, which inform the driver of the state of the engine fluid levels and tyre pressures. It will be acceptable for you to refer to the vehicle information system (if fitted) when answering questions on fluid levels or tyre pressures.

You will be asked five questions, that will be a combination of 'show me' and 'tell me'. A driving fault will be recorded for each incorrect answer to a maximum of four driving faults. If you answer all five questions incorrectly, a serious fault will be recorded.

For a list of the questions you can be asked on your driving test, please click on the vehicle safety questions link below.

Download vehicle safety questions for car and trailer tests (PDF, 27K)

How to book a practical driving test

You can book a car and trailer test online, over the phone or by post. You'll need a credit or debit card and your driving licence number to book a test online or over the phone. To book online, please click on the link called 'book a practical test online' below. To book over the phone, please use the national booking line - 0870 01 01 372.

Book a practical test online

If you want to pay for your practical test by cheque or postal order, you'll need to complete the practical test application form which you can download from the link 'download the practical test application form for cars and trailers'.

Download an application form for a practical driving test (PDF, 168K)

More Information

This article is meant only as a guide and was correct at the time of publishing on 26th May 2009. You are responsible for ensuring all regulations are met, and laws correctly adhered to. If in any doubt over your entitlement, please consult the Driving Licencing Agency, or the Directgov website below.

For more information, or if you have any questions, please visit the DirectGov website

This article has the following linked sections

Warnings for drivers just over Speed Limit
Motorists caught driving at just over the speed limit are to be targeted in a new police crackdown. Police Scotland has secured legal powers to issue formal warnings to drivers who are clocked at just a few mph over the limit.
Driving Licence Changes from 8th June 2015
The tax disc has just gone paperless and now your driving licence is going to follow suit. Here’s some important info that all drivers need to know about what’s going to happen. The driving licence changes come into effect on June 8, 2015

Index : Towing and Towcars : The driving licence you need to tow a caravan or trailer - by UKCampsite.co.uk

5206 Visitors online !

Free UKCampsite.co.uk Window Sticker  -  Recommend to Friend  -  Pensions Auto-enrolment

[Message Forums]  [Caravan Sites & Camping]  [Company Listings]  [Features / Advice]  [Virtual Brochure]  [Shop!]
[Reception]  [Competitions]  [Caravans & Motorhomes For Sale]  [Event Diary]  [Contact Us]  [Tent Reviews

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2016