Visitor Reviews - The Old Oaks Touring Park (adults Only)

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Site Reviews

The Old Oaks Touring Park (adults Only)
Wick Farm
Wick
Glastonbury
Somerset   (Browse area)
BA6 8JS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01458 831 437

5m  5m  1m

Open: 01/3 To 20/11

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  306 in total, now showing 91 to 100                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a £300 Prize Package including £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Reviewer: VillaMan 6 reviews from this member

I had the pleasure of a two night stay at this site recently and it is difficult to praise it too highly. It is hard to describe how good it is as from the moment you arrive quality oozes from everything they do at The Old Oaks. It’s as if the owners sat down with a blank sheet of paper, listed all the niggles, disappointments, shortcomings and oversights found at other sites and said right what can we do to make sure that this does not happen at The Old Oaks. This site sets the bar very high. I am a fully paid up (and very satisfied) member of the Caravan Club but this site takes quality and customer satisfaction to new heights. For example upon entering the shower block you feel as if you are in a hotel or at an up market leisure club, it is that good. And there is none of this nonsense of closing the shower block for cleaning, a continuing source of irritation with Caravan Club sites, for my wife and I. As you enter the shower block, to the left are the ladies facilities and to the right the men’s. To the left and right there is also a row of unisex privacy cubicles with a loo, wash basin and shower, effectively your own en-suite. Everything is to a very high standard and everything is spotlessly clean. There is even a seating area with comfy chairs and magazines if you were waiting for your partner to finish off. It really is a nice space to be in witnessed by the fact that I was in no hurry to leave the facilities. So often I soggily leg it back to the van asap to flee the skanky mess that is typical of many commercial sites.

There is a range of services offered by the owners and the site including a freezer to freeze your ice packs, a microwave and lots of other food niceties. And you get the feeling that if the service wasn’t on offer if you had a word with the wardens they would somehow manage to satisfy your request.

I asked one of the wardens about the best route to cycle into Glastonbury. I knew he was a cyclist himself because he rode his bike as we followed him to our spacious, level, hardstanding pitch. He was very helpful and we went into the visitor information building to look at some maps. Nothing too unusual about that so far except to say that when we got into the room, not only did it have all the usual literature about local attractions, it also had laminated maps for suggested walks around the area which were, of course, free to borrow. Also in there, there was a lounge with a bookcase containing a good selection of books, which again you’re free to borrow, a huge flat screen television, a pool table and comfy seats to relax in. I was amazed at the attention to detail and the quality of what was on offer. The warden said that people are welcome to sit and watch TV, read, play pool or just socialise and if you did want to bring a drink with you then go ahead and enjoy a drink in there. In short this adults only site treats its customers… well, like adults !

I could wax lyrical about this site for ages but I think I’ve got my point across – it is a very very good site and you will enjoy your stay there. Unbeatable value at £25 per night.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Basichendo 9 reviews from this member

Old Oaks, Glastonbury

First off the executive summary:- Wow.

This is the seventh site I have been to in my short time camping - it is by far the best. Some of my early reviews were probably a little generous as I was so happy with this new past time I have discovered! If I could I would edit them down to be 1-2 stars lower… as this site should stand out.

It is Adult only, but that simply means peace perfect peace. We chose it as the destination for our first break away from children is 6 years. We spent 4 nights here and loved it. I have always said I doubt I’d go to the same site ever again as there are so many to chose from and sample - I may have found an exception, as this place was exceptional.

That said, everywhere looks better in the sun, and we had 5 days of blue sky, not a drop of rain and 24 degree plus heat.

We arrived on a Friday and took advantage of the Fish and chip delivery service - as did many others! Delicious.

On the Saturday we took the arranged mini cab into Glastonbury - 7pm collection and 10pm return - bargain at £2/person.

We also had fresh bread and a paper delivered in the morning - more like a hotel than a camp site!

There are lots of good points to say about this place. Our Pitch - Tall Oaks 11. This was a ‘super pitch’ and although not the biggest it did meet my requests of sun in the morning, shade in the evening and not under a tree.

Inside the shower block are 7-10 self contained unisex suites comprising toilet, basin and shower. Also, the showers are button free! There are also further showers in segregated male / female parts as well as further toilets etc. Also in there is a laundry with 2 x w/m and driers and ironing board, freezer, microwave and washing up facilities.

There is a further toilet block but I don’t think it had showers - never went in.

Recycling and bin areas throughout.

Pool table and large screen TV in the tourist info room. Also some board games and a book exchange.

The shop is really really well stocked - lots of local, and their own, produce. Really good cakes and also meat - don’t take your own!

There is also a really good self contained dog-walk for exercising the pooches.

Staff

To a person were helpful, welcoming and polite. Nothing more to say, the owners and wardens all live on site so it’s very easy to get a hold of one. They were always out tending to the immaculate layout, watering hanging baskets etc.

Reviewer: Clarkellp 6 reviews from this member

A beautiful site in a lovely location. The site is quiet, very well-presented and spotlessly clean throughout with fantastic facilities. The owners were welcoming and friendly and could not do enough to help. A well stocked shop and comprehensive tourist information added to the experience. We were sorry that we were not staying longer and would definitely recommend it.

Reviewer: Norfolkenchants 2 reviews from this member

This is an exceptional site, well managed and beautifully kept. There are two reasons though I can't give it full marks. Firstly security - the main gate is locked after 11. 15 I think but there is no barrier entry system and anyone could drive in during the day. Having seen the strange gawd helpuses that inhabit nearby Glastonbury for us it was a worry. Secondly on our last night in an all superpitch area they sited a noisy couple in a tent next to us. Quite why they thought thus would work defeats me. Result - disturbed sleep. Not the couples' fault just a wrong call by the management.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: TankieMac 1 review from this member

Wow! Where do I start? This was my first visit to this adult only, dog friendly campsite and I have to say it is fantastic. Starting with the efficient online booking system and followed by arriving at reception being met by the friendliest wardens you could wish to meet. We felt like old friends being welcomed. The pitches are all really spacious. The facilities are spotlessly clean as is the rest of the site. The shop is well stocked and you can pre-order fresh baked bread and newspapers. The dog walk is fully enclosed and big enough for some decent exercise. The walk up the Tor and on into Glastonbury was exhilarating. We didn't use the fishing lakes but enjoyed an evening stroll around it and a chat to a very successful fisherman! We will definitely be back to this 5 star site I just hope that we manage to get a pitch.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Bunny boy 3 reviews from this member

Just got back after a great three night break, well what can I say one of the best sites we've been on. Well the site is so special so clean and tidy the facilities the toilet block and the views over the countryside are stunning. You cannot fault it. (and I'm picky). We went for a walk to Glastonbury followed the signs over the hill back of the campsite, we had a meal at the pub (you wood never have thought it) strange name but good food plus you get 10% voucher from campsite. We got a taxi back costing £7 not bad for 2 of us. Glastonbury itself is quirky did not know it was a hippy town. There's a morrisons on the edge of town. The weather was great all in all great. Thank you wardens credit to you. We will be back !

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: AndySally 2 reviews from this member

We visited The Old Oaks for the second time in April 2014 having been in September last year. We just fell in love with it the moment we got there. Despite the weather being less than the best on both visits we thoroughly enjoyed the site and the local surroundings. A very peaceful site with lovely views of the countryside. The fantastic shower block is the best I have seen, with en suite style bathrooms having a heated floor. The on site shop was well stocked and the homemade cakes are a must. The pitches are lovely with most offering fab views.

The Tor was only a short walk from the site and is recommended for those feeling energetic; it's well worth the effort when you get to the top. If you are not up to that then there are still some lovely walks around the area of the site. If you like shopping for a bargain then you must make a visit to Clarks outlet village - designer brands at reduced prices.

We will definitely be returning.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Stevasht 4 reviews from this member

Set just under Glastonbury Tor we stayed here for just three nights. The whole site was well maintained and in a beautiful location, our pitch, a 'super pitch' was superb with stunning views. The toilet facilities were second to none and the only criticism was that the hand dryer in the older of the two toilet blocks was one of those weak older things, the sort where walking out and waving your hands about was just as effective as using the dryer. That said this is about the only negative thing I can mention about the site.

On an 'orientation trip' around the site we visited the newer of the toilet blocks and this was fantastic. That said the older block, still outshines (literally) most campsite.

We visited the nearby Clarkes Village Outlet - there was some cheap stuff if you looked. Just a tip, the first car park you get to from the site was very busy and no spaces - go up the small incline to the traffic lights, on the dual carriageway and follow the alternative car park signs, this took us to a half full car right next to the outlet village.

Our stay was brief and we used it as a base to travel looking for motorhomes - so didn't really explore the local area in any detail. Would definitely go back again - hopefully with a motorhome, and explore the area in more detail - it seems to be a site where you can walk to a few places, or just sit relax and enjoy the view.

Can I find any faults with the site? - well I mentioned the hand-dryer (not a big issue) - the biggest problem I found was when leaving - just cant work out when we will get the chance to go back. 10/10 all around for me

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Dajosprite 1 review from this member

Wow! Where do I start? This was my first visit to this adult only, dog friendly campsite and I have to say it is fantastic. Starting with the efficient online booking system encompassed within an accurately informative website, arriving at reception being met by the cheeriest wardens you could wish to meet and not just on arrival but throughout the stay whenever you see them. The facilities are spotlessly clean as is the rest of the site and staff couldn't be more helpful. My visit comes a few days before the minibus and day trips start but even before the season kicks in properly you can pre-order fresh baked bread, newspapers & a new service - the Friday fish & chip run. My only concern……. Will I manage to get a pitch as often as I'd like to visit.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Prof9 3 reviews from this member

This is one of the best sites we have visited and found the facilities the best we have ever used the unisex suites are an excellent idea and the whole of the block was kept very clean, and the grounds tidy and well kept. Pitches were excellent with plenty of space between, the staff were very pleasant an helpful with an excellent shop and services provided we will definitely be returning and would highly recommend this site.

Previous     306 Reviews in total, now showing 91 to 100      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Somerset   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth £49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans – plus 1000s of accessories ...more