Visitor Reviews - Eskdale Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Eskdale Campsite
Boot
Holmrook
Eskdale
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA19 1TH   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 019467 23253  or  019467 23270

1m  1m 5m  1m   1m  1m

Open: 01/03 To 14/01

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  200 in total, now showing 91 to 100                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mrbaggy 2 reviews from this member

Just returned from a five night stay on this site.

What a fantastic site it is and don't let any of the (in my opinion) undeservedly negative points from other reviewers put you off visiting.

Shower block was always very clean and never too busy even at the weekend when the site appeared full. Showers are hot, constant and fully adjustable.

Washing-up facilities are also first class, 5 sinks if I remember correctly. More than enough.

We stayed alongside the entrance road about 20 yards from the shop (Have a look for the tree with a face. Crazy!) and it was never too noisy and the site was whisper quiet by 10-11pm. Even during the day the family area was never raucous and looked really friendly. Beautiful view from our tent of the surrounding Boot Bank hillside.

Considering the facilities available this must be one of the best sites in The Lakes, I can imagine the NT sites are good but the facilities are basic I believe whereas everything at Eskdale is faultless in my opinion. Even the Stella was ice cold!

Excellent walking in the area and if I had bought my kids when when they were young we would have definitely taken the walk to Stanley Waterfall, they would've loved the river.

I would also recommend the 'step back in time' visit to the watermill a stones throw from the site, a fantastic little place, full of character, which is more than I can say for Muncaster Castle. It'll be a long time before I subsidise the toffs again.Not much of a 'hoot' I can assure you.More like 'twits'.Yes, it's also an owl sanctuary. They looked as unimpressed as we did.

One last note of praise to the owners and staff, when our car required attention in nearby Seascale they couldn't have been more helpful.

We will definitely return to this site, in a more substantial tent. Man did it rain!

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Joshnosh 2 reviews from this member

This is an excellent campsite for exploring the north, west Lakes. It's not the easiest to get to, but that just increases it's charm. It's not huge; divided into 3 area's - 1 for tents, 1 for electric hook ups (tents and camper vans)and 1 area with camping pods, and some smaller tent pitches.

Everywhere is lovely and clean. Excellent produce at the shop, newspapers delivered for a price, play area for children and a self catering cottage. No caravans - I guess because of the remoteness. 2 pubs very nearby both serving breakfast. I love this site, have been 3 times and can't wait to go back.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dafodil2919 2 reviews from this member

The camp site here is fantastic we loved it, it was our first time camping. The toilets / showers were really modern and clean, I agree with another reviewer they were more like you'd find in a hotel.

The kids loved the play area especially the trampoline although it was spring bank and it was busy!

The scenery was lovely and we as a family enjoyed walks and a trip on the local steam railway.I enjoyed the fact you did not need to use the car much.

But most of all the staff were very friendly and helpful considering when we were just about to leave the recent unfortunate events happened in the area. The staff looked after all the campers and their families in the camp site shop and for this I will always be grateful.

Date of Visit: April 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Timetoshine 3 reviews from this member

This is a great campsite.

We've been a couple of times and everything about it is fantastic. The owners are really friendly and helpful; even giving up their Sunday paper because I'd forgot to order one!

The toilet and shower block are immaculate and better than a few hotels I've stayed in.

There's a small play area tucked out of the way and a drying room for when its raining.

The location's great too, only a short walk from the Boot Inn where a pint of Dizzy Blonde can wash down a big slice of Boot Pie.

Eskdale and the surrounding area are all naturally beautiful and there are great walks to pass the day.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Feeblecat 40 reviews from this member

A gem of a site. First visit and will be followed by many.

Very helpful and friendly wardens; great toilet and shower facilities; the best and cleanest chemical disposal point ever (so my husband says, I wouldn't know about such things LOL); shop sells all the basics; wonderful views; loads of different walks of all levels direct from site (you could park your car for the length of your stay); 3 pubs within a short walk serving meals (only ate in the Boot Inn but food was great); accessible for most of the Lakes attractions.

My only small gripe was that I felt some of the units were very close together but then again, I did chose to visit on one of the busiest weeks of the year - half term (purely accidental as I wouldn't normally chose such a busy time).

I wish I could have stayed longer and will definitely book to go again as soon as I can.

Date of Visit: May 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Glossop Campers 1 review from this member

What a nice place to stay. This campsite was very peaceful and staff was so friendly, The lovely hot showers and toilet facilities were very clean at all times. The information room was very useful with pay phone as no signal on mobile phones.

We would recommend this site to all campers. Just sorry we didn't stay for longer but looking forward to going back to this lovely area. Three lovely pubs within walking distance from the site, that have great beers and lovely food.

Date of Visit: April 2010 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Sue.too 2 reviews from this member

Love this site. We were staying before CCC came along. For walkers it is excellent. Big walks away from Ambleside. Oh and 3 pubs on the doorstep.

However it's been rather wet under foot the last few years. I know the weather has been strange but soooo many campers must have an effect too. It can't cope?

I love the place don't too many people come!

Date of Visit: December 2009 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Sazza42 17 reviews from this member

We had a few nights staying here in the Camping Pods between Christmas and New Year. There was snow on the ground during all of our stay, but the Camping Pod was cosy with the insulation and the small heater that is provided for you.

The campsite is in a stunning location with the fells rising up around you. We ate in the pub in Boot each night and enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. The facilities were lovely and clean - plenty of hot water as well which was extremely important at that time of year! The on-site shop looked to be well stocked as well.

The pods could fit 4 people, but it would be a squeeze in the winter when you want all of your gear indoors. However, there was loads of room for the two of us and we had plenty of space for the masses of gear we had brought. Each pod has a deck area out the front which I would imagine would be lovely for summer evenings.

Date of Visit: April 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fifi77 7 reviews from this member

What a lovely site! Great walking right from the site, two pubs in the village (we went to the one further up the lane - not the one on the corner) the one definitely allows dogs inside - and they gave our dog his own sausage while we were waiting for our meals so he's keen to go back! Facilities are very good and clean, although there are only 3 showers in the ladies so we had to queue every time, but it was a bank holiday weekend.

The shop has a good selection of everything - milk, bread but also different local meats and non-essentials plus some toys, balls etc. The site's really well kept and nicely laid out with benches dotted around although it was really busy when we were there. As there aren't many sites in the area I would expect that it is often fairly busy but it is a really lovely place so we'll definitely go back.

Date of Visit: April 2010 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Steve McV 21 reviews from this member

We have just come back from Eskdale C&CC site & are now hooked on camping pods. The pods are very close to the toilets & washing up, & are grouped in two circles around picnic tables - reminded me of the covered wagons in the old cowboy films (Blazing Saddles & baked beans?)

They are a fairly cheap way of going away with little equipment. Cost us 40 per night. Probably not as comfy as a family tent with a bit more space, but great for a small family & excellent for year round breaks due to the insulation.

The location of the site could not be faulted. Local attractions are too many to list. Take (or hire) bikes. Follow the waymarked 9 mile Esk Valley Trail downhill to Ravenglass, then get the little narrow gauge steam train back up.

The site has an excellent range of facilities. The shop sells local produce including eggs, meat & real ale. The toilets were spotless in spite of horrid weather in April. In addition to the camping pods we stayed in, there is a self contained camping barn complete with log fire. The kids play area has swings, a small assault course & a trampoline. The manager owns an adjacent woodland & is happy for kids to play in there. Follow the path to the village of Boot with the oldest working water mill in the country at the end.

Brilliant site, brilliant location, facilities & staff. We will be back.

Previous     200 Reviews in total, now showing 91 to 100      Next

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Pop up Utility tent

UKCS Meet NEC Caravan Camping & Motorhome Show 20 to 25 February 2018
UKs biggest showcase of caravans, motorhomes, tents snf camping equipment. We've got 20 Tickets to Give Away! ...more