Visitor Reviews - Exe Valley Caravan Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Site Reviews

Exe Valley Caravan Site
Mill House
Bridgetown
Exmoor
Dulverton
Somerset   (Browse area)
TA22 9JN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  10m  5m   5m

Open: 12th March To 18th October

Reviews:  180 in total, now showing 101 to 110                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin 200 Walkers Camping Kit and Tent AND 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sue999 6 reviews from this member

First visit to this site and I was very impressed. A nice friendly welcome from the wardens. The pitches are a decent size and you have a choice of being on the side with the mill leat or the other side with the River Exe. I chose the Exe and my tent was about 1. 5 metres from the river - a lovely spot to sit and watch the kingfishers and dippers using the river like a motorway.

The facilities are basic but were always clean. I didn't have to wait and the water was piping hot with hairdryer in the ladies. They have the dish washing area and a laundry for a small fee.

There is also a microwave and ice block freezing service. 10amp EHU and TV points available. A small shop on site selling all basics. There is a Wifi shed for those that need access to the internet.

A fish & chip van is in the village of Winsford a couple of miles away on Weds evenings - well worth it - they were lovely. There is a pub about 5 minute walk from the site and Winsford also has a lovely thatched pub, I cant comment on either buy they are there!

There is a small shop in Winsford and Dulverton has a coop for more provisions and a cash point should you need it.

The site has very detailed info about what is available in the local area even a folder with walk routes from the site, and a couple of mountatin bikes for hire for the more energetic!

They allow dogs and have a nice dog field at the end of the site with the River running through it and a weir at the end, the only downside for me, on the opposite bank there are hundreds of pheasants and the only time my dog does not listen to me is when there are pheasants around, cant blame the site for that though! Even warning signs on all the local roads!

A very peaceful site that I cant fault and will definitely be returning to as soon as I can.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Lmcm 3 reviews from this member

I have just returned after a week on this site, and as a novice camper (fourth trip - first full week), I have to say that it was great and I disagree with the comments below about the wi-fi and the showers. The wi-fi advertised on the website is in the wi-fi hut and only campers near here managed to receive it in their units. As an addict to the internet, it was a complete break for me, (at the far point of the site away from the hut), to have a break from my addiction! The showers are fine; they're nice and hot, you just need to let them run a few seconds and one needs to use a cord; all of which are explained in the details the wardens give you on arrival. The area is lovely and I spent most of my days touring. I had three dogs with me and they seemed to take to Dunster beach, so I spent a few days on there. Dulverston is very pretty and there are great walks everywhere you go. The wardens are lovely and nothing is too much for them. A fresh fish van is outside every Wednesday morning, and I bought fresh tuna, sord fish and prawns from him; he'd just been round to local restaurants and the fish was wonderful. Each EHU also has a TV arial connection and the wardens will loan you, for free, the lead you need. A really lovely site and highly recommended. I'll be back next year!

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: David McCrudden 5 reviews from this member

Just spent 10 days at this excellent park. Arrived on site & booked in. The owners did the booking as it was the wardens day off, they were very helpful pointing out all amenities and explaining the rules which weren't many. A sheet showing the layout of the site and site ruled and other local information was provided, as well as a comprehensive notice board, free wi-fi hut and library.

The site is well laid out and all pitches back onto water either the river Exe or onto the mill leat.

All pitches are clearly signed, with very spacious pitches, and after pitching our trailer tent we had about 5 yards at each side and 20 yards in front.

The toilets and showers were always spotless as were all other amenities, even the chemical toilet was spotless. There were plenty of drinking water points and a few recycling points.

The dog walk was amazing, 300 yards along the river bank and I would think that no-one would complain if their pitch was in this area.

Locally the Badgers Holt pub did good food with specials twice a week eg 2 stake meals for 12, with a good selection of drinks. We enjoyed Dunster, Dulverton and several other towns within 30 mins drive.

I would recommend this site to anyone, always remembering it adults only.

Reviewer: Flashdan 9 reviews from this member

We have just come back from Exe valley having stayed for a week. The site is lovely with the river Exe flowing down the left side and the mill stream down the right, we were greeted with a very friendly welcome.

The local pub serves a good range of beers and the food isn't bad either but unfortunately this is where it ends, the promised Wifi didn't materialise and the showers were hopeless.

The two men's showers were nearly always smelly and dirty, one had a Mira shower which the temperature ranged from tepid to stone cold. The other had an electric unit which was almost impossible to control, my wife told a similar story.

The dish washing facilities had a sign saying ' very hot water ' I never needed to worry as the temperature never got above lukewarm.

Its a shame as the site is beautiful but we don't think we will be going there again.

Reviewer: Freedom4us 41 reviews from this member

Stayed on this site for 2 weeks. The wardens are fabulous really friendly and helpful even when we had lost our drainage pipe they came to the rescue!

The site is in a lovely position next to the river. Yes you do have to drive for provisions but that said its a small price to pay. We backed onto the road and there is a lot of traffic noise but we got used to it.

The dog walk is fab - read the previous review re: dogs & adults in the river well my dogs loved it and they weren't killing defenceless living things so I'm glad they played in the river!

Shower block is a bit tired but totally clean and functional. The area is great for walking we went to the Tarr steps (among other places)which is lovely.

Dunster is also nice. The pub over the road sells basic pub grub and is fine we also recommend the pub in winsford and wetton cross both very nice food and real ale.

I was able to get wifi no probs as I went to the shed and sat there in peace and quiet to catch up on emails etc.

All in all a lovely site - my only gripe is having to pay extra for dogs & for the awning even though we forgot to take the sides! - at least we remembered to have a fab time!

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Peejay12 16 reviews from this member

This site is one of the best I have stayed at. It is the first time I have stayed at a site for more than three days.

The position is perfect, quiet, clean with very friendly wardens and owners with a real passion for their site.

The Sunday tour around the mill is not to missed, and the dog walk is magic. Being interested in wildlife I was delighted to see the 'Dippers' in action, have not seen these birds for over 40 years but down by the weir they were there every day.

The showers did need some patience but they we spotless and nice to have piped radio.

The wifi was great, it only went about 300 yards into the camp but the wifi 'shack' was ok and made up for the weak coverage.

The weather wasn't very good but there was a bus service to Minehead and Tiverton that passed by the camp and stopped on request and we found that the weather was a lot better just out of the valley situation of the campsite. A great bus service with very helpful and friendly drivers.

Minehead is a nice town, if you look beyond the 'kiss me quick hats', with a great railway station, if you like steam

Engines. Some great walks around the 'headlands 'passed the harbour were good.

If the weather is kind a walk to Winsford is a nice trip out. Not

A lot there but a nice tea room and a pub. If you do walk

There ask at the tea room for a walking route back, very

Helpful. The village green is great picnic place.

There is no phone, radio, or TV coverage, the camp provide a 4 channel TV service with plenty of spare cables, satellite coverage is good.

Wish I were there now!

Didn't think the pub at Bidgetown, just by the camp, was that friendly, the staff were but the landlord was a little 'distant'.

Love to go back there soon.

Reviewer: Nickcb 10 reviews from this member

This site is in a beautiful location, but it is remote and therefore I was a little surprised to find the 'shop' very basic. There is a village shop at Winsford, about two miles away but appeared to have very limited opening hours although it is very well stocked with the camper in mind.

Dulverton has everything but is seven miles away. The wardens are extremely helpful and friendly, the owner likewise. Some friends who visited in a tent for one night complained of only luke warm water in the shower, I only used the water for washing up and did not find a problem. That might have been due to the time of day.

If the weather is wet there is a real problem and if you have a choice go for hard standing. There has been an attempt to improve drainage but it is not adequate. At one stage our awning was nearly ankle deep in water, likewise our next door neighbour.

As for the fishing, I really wouldn't bother. When the sun comes out the river is infested with 'adults' and dogs alike thrashing around throwing sticks etc. This happened on every warm sunny day during our stay.

Now for the real highlight of this area. It's the pub a couple hundred yards from the site entrance. The Badgers Holt. This is NOT one of those public houses that think they have a captive clientelle with a campsite nearby, It attracts local people from miles away, I spoke to one couple who travel from Minehead regularly and I can see why. The Landlord and Landlady are extremely welcoming and their staff friendly and efficient. The food on offer is exquisite and during our stay was so good it could compete with a one star Michelin restaurant. I forgot to point out that well behaved dogs are welcome in the bar where of course food is served also.

To sum up then: Make sure the weather isn't wet. Bring your own supplies. Don't bother to fish and make sure you visit the local pub!

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Rlemin 3 reviews from this member

We were met with a cup of tea, having arrived 4 days early. The site was very friendly allocating a pitch we could use throughout our extended visit.

You cannot fault the size of the pitches, big enough for even the most space hungry outfits. The showers and toilets were adequate, and the free wifi as advertised but not always possible to access the web.

The river running through the site has a good stock of salmon par and small trout, providing some interest in the evenings. It is possible to buy a permit for most of the Exe down to dulverton for 15 but the fly fishing is not for the novice. Excellent dog walking facilities both on and off site.

The local pub provides good food with very generous portions. Good value site we will be back.

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Joodles 1 review from this member

We very much enjoyed our stay at this site despite the bad weather. The toilets and showers were clean and adequate. Washing up facilities were also very good.

The space for pitching was very generous and the site very quiet. Although near to a road we were not disturbed by the noise of traffic at all.

We had a meal in the Badgers Holt. I would rate the food as ok. We visited Dulverton, Dunster and Minehead while there. All worth a visit.

Had the weather been better we would have liked to have done a couple of long walks on Exmoor. Tarr Steps and Dunkery Beacon looked very inviting.

There is a lot of information provided in the information hut about walks in the area. The fact that this is an adult only site was a bonus for us. There is a small shop selling basic groceries.

We are planning to return when the weather looks more promising and would recommend.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Adg147 4 reviews from this member

Nice site, very spacious, cup of tea on arrival was nice. Very spacious pitches. Toilets could do with updating ladies was a bit smelly, stayed for 5 nights but only had hot water in the shower once.

Shop was shut for 3 days while we were there so had to do a bit of driving for the basics. Site was a bit remote.

The badgers holt pub served good food and drink and is less than 5 minutes walk away.

Make sure you take a trip to tarr steps, dulverton, and dunster, we also visited clovelly which was very nice (about 50 miles from the site).

Previous     180 Reviews in total, now showing 101 to 110      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Somerset   -   Search for a site

Win a Buzzwing Tilting and Folding 4 Bike Rack Win your favourite OLPRO Windbreak from 6 Fab Designs

UKCS Meet UK Autumn Motorhome & Caravan Show 2nd to 3rd September
Season-finale event, taking place at Newark Showground, discounted tickets too ...more