Visitor Reviews - Cofton Country Holidays

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Cofton Country Holidays
Starcross
Dawlish
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
EX6 8RP   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0800 0858649  or  01626 890111

5m  5m  5m  5m  1m   10m  1m  5m

Open: All Year Round

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  192 in total, now showing 101 to 110                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20

Date of Visit: December 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bob61 20 reviews from this member

This would not normally be my type of site since in the summer months I would imagine it to be very busy and commercial with a swimming pool, bar, shop, take-away foods, games room etc. However, in the winter I can only describe it as basic with no facilities except the washroom.

The site advertises itself as 'open all year' but even with a UKCS Meet on site the 'heated' toilet and shower facilities were decidedly chilly. The water could only be described as luke warm in both the wash basins and the washing up sinks, the latter making the washing of greasy pots and pans very difficult. The hot air hand dryers were cold, which is the last thing you need on a frosty morning.

Perhaps the winter is not a good time to judge and review any campsite so my comments have to be taken in that light.

Again, this was a winter camp and so I expected some dampness under foot and maybe a little mud here and there but the pitches in the front fields where the Meet was held were waterlogged. I managed to find a relatively dry pitch but it wasn't long before there was more mud than grass. The pitches did not seem very well drained at all. Vehicles and motorhomes were getting bogged down and more than one needed a push or tow out.

The front fields are also alongside the busy main road so there was constant traffic noise during the day and for a good part of the night. There are some peaceful woodland walks nearby.

Dawlish and Dawlish Warren seemed a little 'run' down'. There is very little of interest or scenic value. The best place I found was Cockwood Harbour, a picturesque setting about 10 minutes walk from the site. Here are two pubs/restaurants, the Anchor and the Ship. Both are more geared up for food rather than drink.

Owner's comments : We are open all year round, our Reception (closing only for Christmas day, Boxing day and New Years day) is always staffed however it is not viable to keep amenities such as the shop, bar, take-away and pool open out of season. Essentials are available for purchase from Reception if required. Opening times of additional facilities are clearly stated in our brochure and prices are low out of season to reflect these are not available.

We were not aware the hand dryers were not working or that the hot water was not up to temperature and had we been informed it would have been attended to. We are more than happy to sort issues out but do need to be informed if there is a problem we have not noticed.
As the reviewer says it was the middle of winter and the weather was a lot colder than normal. Being part of a larger rally a lot of the party were unable to make it due to the snow. The reviewer was also the only member of the party in a tent which is unusual for anyone to camp out at that time of year. The group had use of our bar for a New Years Eve party and feedback was very good when they left therefore we were shocked to read such a negative review from a member of the party.

Our pitches can get wet during heavy rainfall but soon dry out once the sun shines again. We rely on holidaymakers to take care when driving on grass and during problem periods request that they test the ground before driving on if needs be.

We are a large site set in a secluded valley with 450 pitches, many with superb countryside views. Dawlish and Dawlish Warren would not have looked there best as again it is out of season and the traders rely on the holiday season, it is not viable for them to trade all year round. Dawlish Warren has again been awarded the Blue Flag status – this is not an easy status to attain and it is one of only 88 in the country. There is also a National Nature Reserve at Dawlish Warren and it is dedicated as a Special Area of Conservation.

Finally the two pubs in Cockwood do a fantastic array of food and local ale. They are very popular with the locals and have a great community atmosphere all year round.

Date of Visit: December 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dk168 21 reviews from this member

Although it was low season and was very quiet, the facilities continued to be well-kept, and the showers, washrooms / toilets and washing areas were cleaned regularly and were immaculate.

The bar, outdoor swimming pool, on-site fish and chip shop, games room, the shop etc. Were closed during my stay, which was normal.

I could envisage how lovely the site would be in warmer months with all its facilities available.

I hardly saw any staff about, however, of the ones I did see, they were very friendly and helpful.

My dog and I had some wonderful walks at Dawlish Warren on their sandy beaches, which was allowed being out of season.

I would definitely recommend this site to anyone looking for a site with lots of facilities in the South Devon area.

I only paid a reduced rate as I was part of the UKCampsite.co.uk South West group, however, I considered what I paid for as very good value for money, hence the 9/10 rating.

As for child friendliness, I cannot comment as I don't have any.

I definitely would like to return one day during the warmer months.

Highly recommended, and keep up with the good work!

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lyn C 9 reviews from this member

Loved this campsite and will definitely return here.

On arrival we were shown to our spot by a chap in a buggy. We were told that we could choose a different spot if we wanted, but we were happy with the pitch and as the site is on different levels we had a great view of the whole site. The pitches are close together though and we didn't have enough room to park the car next to the tent once we had put our windbreak up!

The main block of showers and toilets were clean and warm, and not too busy, but the portacabin block in our field had water leaking through the roof when we had a downpour, which made trying to keep your belongings dry whilst having a shower very difficult indeed!

The food in the restaurant was ok but quite expensive and in our opinion, not worth it!

The swimming pool was kept very clean although I didn't try it out - weather not good enough for my liking!

The walk to Dawlish Warren is lovely as it takes you up through some woodland with beautiful views of the river Ex and the sea.

Only used the bar on the first evening but my daughter and her friend spent a few evenings in there and they seemed to enjoy it!

There's a lovely pub selling fantastic food just down the lane (take a torch if walking at night) called The Anchor Inn that we would highly recommend but it wasn't cheap!

Good location for Dawlish, Exeter and Torquay and 1/2 an hour walk to the railway station and ferry to Exmouth.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Doe42 15 reviews from this member

Arrived on a Monday, receptionists very pleasant & helpful, booked in quickly and shown around on a Golf Buggy to pick pitches. As 2 families wanting to pitch near each other didn't have much choice left following all the Saturday arrivals. Chose 2 far pitches next to the road - not too bad once you get used to the noise.

Shop - well stocked for all your needs.

Site is clean and well maintained. Showers & toilets were clean and spacious. Good fishing lakes.

Spacious dog walking field. Nice walk down the back lane to the Anchor Inn.

Small waterpark not too far away, on beautiful beach with watersports available.

Wookey Hole is also worth a visit.

Good TV reception.

Negative points - Pitch sizes a little on small side in certain parts, we had 2 caravans opposite each other and were unable to hitch up were pitched, had to manoeuvre caravan and ask next door to move their car so we could pull them off. The pitches on the clubhouse side were a better size.

Have to drive to most places as little too far away from everything.

No parking area for arrivals - they were parked up all over the place, waiting to book in and be shown to pitches.

Be prepared to queue for takeaway.

Pool was cold and children didn't use it after the first 2 days.

A site as large as this would benefit from an indoor pool.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jayne1969 3 reviews from this member

We've just returned from a week's holiday at this site, where we had a fully-serviced pitch, including water, waste and TV hook-up (in addition to the usual electric). Mostly it is a good park. It's beautifully kept and the open spaces are spotless. We used two shower blocks and they were both clean and modern, with plenty of unlimited hot water and piped music! The takeaway was good value and open for breakfast as well as in the evening. There is a shop selling the usual stuff, quite pricey, but not out of the ordinary. It could do with getting rid of the usual kids toys (taking up probably a third of the shop space) and putting in a few more essentials instead though. The fishing lakes are great for a nice peaceful walk round.

There is a great kids play area at the top of the park, past the shetland pony and the donkeys, in the woods, which has an assault course and zip wire, etc. All in excellent condition.

The only bad side was that the site is split in two by a public road which is kind of in a dip, although most traffic seems to be coming on to the site rather than passing through. We found that there were many, many unaccompanied children on bikes, skateboards, roller blades, etc just going as fast as they can right across the road.

LOCALITY - Dawlish Warren beach - how it's a Blue Flag (or whatever) beach is a complete mystery, it's a complete dump! Couple of normal arcades etc, and a train station if you like that sort of thing. Dawlish itself is just a small seaside town with one large-ish amusement arcade and a chippy and a railway station.

Blackpool Sands is an excellent beach, but a good hours drive (but a scenic drive though), NOT sand, but very very small shingle, spotlessly clean and clear water to snorkel in.

Babbacombe Model Village is great for killing a couple of hours or so if the weather isn't great.

Dartmouth is a lovely town to walk round, get the train from Dalish Warren to Paignton, then the steam train(!) from Paignton to Kingswear and then the little ferry (takes 5 mins) across for a great day out.

For a cheap day out with kids try Trego Mills at Newton Abbot. Adults will love the bargains, but then you can buy a 4 person pass for £13.95 which entitles you to around 10 or so rides on the go-karts, swan boats, miniature railway, etc, you can stay all afternoon!

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Happycampersvw 1 review from this member

My husband chose this site and I must say we were not disappointed. It is a very large site, which I knew when booking as we had received a brochure to look at before. It is very well organised, with a man in a buggy showing you around the campsite allowing you to choose your spot, the showers/toilets always kept clean. Showers were very busy in the morning, but that is only to be expected on a site this size. I am an early riser so this did not affect me (as soon as daylight hits the tent I am awake).

The shop on site is very good, caters for absolutely every need possible. We also used the bar to eat in a few times, and my husband caught up on the first football match of the season. The fish and chip shop is excellent! Although if you arrive on a Saturday be prepared for a long wait – but it is well worth waiting for.

On reading some of the reports about bored teenagers, I had 2 with me and they stayed with us for the evening and were not hanging around the arcade. Maybe this happens when groups of families go together and they hang around with their friends, but mine were happy to stay with the family.

The only downfall I can think of is that the pitches are too close together (or just a minus on the camping side) because the tent next door to us had a tv and you could hear every word of it.(not a very peaceful evening) If we had a tv and were watching the same film we would not have needed the sound. We did have a portable dvd player with us in case it rained of an evening but we used earplugs so as not to disturb anyone.

We had a dog with us for the very first time camping and this worked out very well. There were other dogs around so you did not feel as you were the only one with a dog and there are plenty of places to walk your dog as well as the 'dog exercise field'.

One other thing I would mention is the ice packs, you cannot re-freeze your own, you have to hire them (large for £3 and small £2.50) and then pay to re-freeze them when you need to 60p large and 40p small, but you obviously do get your deposit back when you leave. Apart from an aching back from sleeping on an airbed for 2 weeks we all enjoyed our camping holiday and would definitely re-visit.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Pablo0874 2 reviews from this member

Very well laid out site, plenty of facilities, on site pub and club chip shop. Well spaced pitches. Value for money, great swimming pool with attendants and well stocked on site shop. Easy to find, located in a very nice part of Devon not far from most attractions and beach value for money.

Toilet facilities gold star in my opinion, music playing 24 7, clean around the clock and even smelt nice. There is wi fi access at a small charge. The only problem I found was there was not much of a tv signal or even a mobile phone signal but despite this we had a great time.

There is also coftons own lakes which you can walk around or go fishing. It's a very nice site for all the family, something for everyone there, you can just stay on site and have a entertaining fun filled holiday without even leaving there.

Dawlish is about 20 minute drive down the road and there is a local spar 5 minutes drive away, so you're never out of supplies. The on site shop has most things you need including caravan /camping spares, it may be a bit pricey but I don't think that much more than what you would pay elsewhere, well recommended. Will be going again

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Weirgzl 7 reviews from this member

After a 7 hour drive and having to wait to check in we then had to queue up for a further 20 minutes for someone to take us to our pitch. Our pitch was in the furthest field from the complex and a 7 minute walk to the clubhouse and shop. The toilets and washing facilities were a portacabin. The 'heated' pool was cold and the chippy prices were extortionate. On the second night in the bar I was asked to provide proof of age, as I had none I was refused buying alcohol (I am 36 years of age!) I went to reception the following morning to complain and the bar manager was brought in. She said it was procedure and I should carry picture ID so there was nothing she could do. I spent the remainder of our holiday drinking soft drinks while my wife went to the bar for her drinks. I wrote a written complaint to the management and when I returned home there was a letter waiting saying they were within their rights, with a poster attached about proof of age.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Cheryl.mark 80 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a week during peak season, we have visited before several years ago and the site has been developed since we last visited.

Positives:-

Fantastic shower block, very clean and never had to queue for a shower, always warm.

Very clean site in nice surroundings.

Good children's play areas dotted around the site.

Negatives:

The swimming pool was freezing even on a hot sunny day, it took your breath away!

The site was very busy and felt crammed, the touring pitches are close together, not much privacy.

We stayed on a premier pitch which was great has it was hardstanding with its own BBQ, however, they are located at the top of a very steep hill and far away from the main facilities, they are also difficult to get large caravans into due to the space.

The family clubhouse at night is far too small for the size of the site, we only went once as you couldn't get a seat and we saw lots of people turn away, the site is losing a lot of business because of this.

The surrounding area isnt as nice as it used to be, Dawlish itself looks alittle tired and Dawlish Warren beaches are not as nice as other parts of Devon, you have to drive at least 45 mins to get a nice beach.

There is nothing to do on this site if the weather is wet and we had two days of rain.

It is a very busy site so if you are looking for a quiet site then avoid this one, if it had an indoor pool and larger indoor area for night time then it would be a perfect site. We wont be visiting again as it was expensive and we didn't think the area was attractive at all.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Boyse7en 1 review from this member

Just got back from a few days camping on the terraced Ten-Acre Field at Cofton. This is a large site, well maintained with plenty of trees, flowerbeds and hedges to break up the appearance. Very busy, being the first week of the school holidays, but didn't feel crowded at all - plenty of room with large pitches.

The only complaint was with the toilet block in the camping field. An old prefab block which leaked when it rained (so water all over the floor) and had the smallest toilet cubicles I have ever seen - you have to go in backwards as there isn't enough room to turn around. I walked across to one of the much nicer blocks in the next (caravan) field to shower, which were fantastic. Spacious, clean and well designed. It's not a cheap site in the peak season, and I feel slightly short-changed by the poor toilets in comparison to the 'van owners.

Overall, a good site with all the amenities (shop, pool, bar, restaurant, chippy, laundry, fishing lakes, free hot water, etc) in a nice location. There are plenty of walks from the site to the coast or woods and there are loads of beaches nearby.

Previous     192 Reviews in total, now showing 101 to 110      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCampsite.co.uk Advent Calendar