Visitor Reviews - Dornafield Caravan Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Dornafield Caravan Park
Two Mile Oak
Newton Abbot
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
TQ12 6DD   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  10m  10m  5m  1m   5m  5m  1m

Open: March To 7 November

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  128 in total, now showing 67 to 72                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: October 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Robp1970 4 reviews from this member

This was our first ever caravanning experience & was a great place to go.

We stayed in Blackrock copse, which had a lovely toilet / shower block / laundry room, all modern & clean - even had Radio2 playing in there!

There was also a separate washing up building, again clean & modern.

This area of the site had it's own dog field as well, where we were able to exercise our dog off lead, as all fenced in.

Our kids enjoyed the games room with table tennis keeping them out of mischief whilst on site.

The whole site is kept looking great and is indeed a very pleasant place to be. We will return here.

Reviewer: Rfarry 4 reviews from this member

Whilst this is an extremely nice site I don't understand where the number 1 status in the Practical Caravan guide comes from.

Yes the staff are friendly, the showers are great, our children enjoyed the play area, etc, etc but many other sites are just as good and in some ways maybe better.

My wife didn't like having to leave the showers to use a hair dryer in the toilets and a site this popular shouldn't need to charge for them. Staff did explain that the location of the hairdryers was to meet German / French 5 star standards.

A pub or clubhouse right on the site is not a priority for us, it's a 'nice to have', many equally nice sites do have those facilities negating the need for a walk, even if it is only 10 minutes, or car ride.

We were in Butter Meadow and couldn't see the advantage and Blackrock Copse, our pitch was fully serviced as in BRC, we felt that BM was less cramped and had more space between the vans due to not having the taps / drain between the vans but at the back.

The shop was a little frustrating in that papers, bread and some other bits and pieces had to be pre-ordered for the next day, everyday.

I suspect this site gets its status as this is the first site we have been to where a Practical Caravan voting slip has been handed out as we arrived.

This report should not seem negative, the site is very nice, however, there are many very nice sites out there, this is just one of them.

I've only marked them down on location, due to the narrowness of the exit road / corners, the hassle of having to plan if papers / bread were required and the inconvenience my wife felt she had in the showers.

Reviewer: Soob 2 reviews from this member

We visited this site for 10 days in August and were pleasantly surprised on arrival, the site is in a beautiful location and is really easy to get to - especially as we are fairly novice caravaners and prefer to stick to main roads where possible! There are a couple of narrow lanes to negotiate but they are quiet and when towing we did not meet any traffic coming towards us. Though this does mean it is important to stick to the correct arrival and departure times.
The staff here are really helpful and friendly. If you are going out for the day it's worth mentioning to staff where you are going as they have discount cards available for many local attractions. There is also an extensive information room, including information on local places to eat etc. So, all good so far.

Whilst the toilet and shower facilities were spotless, and while I appreciate the need to conserve water, the push button showers drove me mad. The water only lasted for about 30 seconds and then on pressing the button again was greeted with a stream of boiling hot or freezing cold water. This is ok if you can keep your hand on the button, but showering with my 5 year old daughter and washing hair etc, meant this was not possible, therefore showering was rather stressful!

I realise that this is nothing to do with the site, but it would have been nice has there been somewhere to walk to from the site. The roads around were narrow, and with young children in tow were not safe to walk along, so even though there is a very pleasant pub a few minutes away, we had to get there in the car.

The site is centrally located for all of the attractions of South Devon, but be warned, when we visited the traffic and parking were appalling - so leave early in the morning.

All in all Dornafield was an excellent site, my daughter loved the fort on the play area, and the BBQ laid on by staff, on the night before we left was great as we didn't have to worry about food that night. Dornafield well deserves the plaudits it has received and if we were to visit South Devon again we would certainly be back.

Reviewer: Kimmie1 1 review from this member

Just returned from this campsite stay on a hard standing touring pitch with electric hook, water supply, waste disposal and your own rubbish bins all enclosed in wooden boxes at the side of each pitch. The lane to this site is slightly difficult to get down but once there I have to say this is the best site I have ever been on. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, the site is beautiful and is run to perfection, it is spotless, peaceful, child friendly and worth every penny. Can not wait to go back again!

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mikast 8 reviews from this member

Just returned from our 10 day holiday at Dornafield. We had a fantastic time and only have positive things to say about this lovely site.

The family who run the site are lovely and always at hand.

We stayed in our tent in the Orchard with EHU, with our 3 children (10,5 & 3 yrs old) which was great. Good sized pitches with a little border! Neatly mowed, ready for your arrival.

The toilet/shower block is immaculate-and I am incredibly fussy! Nicely tiled, immaculately

Clean, hot showers, music playing,the ladies have fresh flowers every day and a nice vanity area to do hair and make-up, plus a full length mirror! You can take your own hair drier in there or use theirs for 20p.

We had plenty of space for the children to play in the orchard, but they also had a good tennis court, play area and games room.

The shop was quite good, but Asda is only 5mins away and Sainsbury's possibly 10 mins away.

The site itself is really well tended and pretty.They had a BBQnight with a comedy show for the kids and morris dancer's, which gave people a chance to have a go!

The area itself has plenty to do. We had to drive to the nearest beach, but there are that many places to visit, we didn,t fit in everything we wanted to do. We visited Torquay, Paignton, Brixham, Dawlish, Babbacombe, Blackpool sands.Doing various things on different days.

The only things that we weren't too keen on were the wasps (hardly the sites fault!),my husband thought it was strange the shower block was separate to the toilet block, although I liked that! Also our 10 year old missed having a pool on site- that didn't mean he did no swimming. The sea was so clear in the area, all 3 of our children were in the water-swimming,paddling, skimming, crabbing, surfing the waves,and the two yonger ones - wave dashing!

I am sure there are things I've missed out that I'll think later on I should have said, but maybe, suffice to say, we had a great holiday in a great area, on a fantastic site. If you are like me and worry if the facilities will be up to a good standard, worry not.We are sure they will far out weigh your expectations.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Janma 5 reviews from this member

We booked 2 nights at dornafield, We couldn't get in for any longer as they were full.

It is a beautiful site with friendly staff. We were allocated our pitch and proceeded to site our unit and awning. Unfortunately we seemed to have a wasp nest somewhere nearby. And my 3 year old grandaughter was stung almost immediately. The wasps seemed to be everywhere. I asked at reception if they could change our pitch and they were very helpful and within 10 mins we were found another pitch which was difficult for them as they were full.

Everything about this site that others have written is true it really is exceptional. My only concern is that the lane is very narrow and we met quite a few cars in the lane which did make it very difficult to get through, and I would hate to think what would have happened if we'd met a caravan because it would almost be impossible to pass. Another thing that I disliked was that the pitches are very close together and it was one of the noisiest sites I have been on, the road between pitches either side is narrow and well travelled what with site maintenance, caravans being towed to their pitches that have been stored there, and grass cutting. It was indeed a lovely site but we will not be returning.

Previous     128 Reviews in total, now showing 67 to 72      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 18 to 21 January 2018
Advanced booking discount plus we have 15 pairs of tickets to give away ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

Coming Soon!

24 Daily Prizes worth up to 100 and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth 500!
Get an Email