Visitor Reviews - Whitehill Country Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Whitehill Country Park
Stoke Road
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
TQ4 7PF   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m  5m  5m   5m  1m  5m

Open: 21 March - 24 September

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale  Glamping

Reviews:  124 in total, now showing 73 to 78                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
Win 100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: August 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: RibTime 6 reviews from this member

The site is down a narrow road which seems to have plenty of traffic so caution should be exercised, especially if you have a caravan.

At the entrance there is a car park and the club house, cafe and shop.

We checked in and were offered a guide to show us to our pitch but decided to make our own way. On our way down the site seemed very well organised with all the pitches clearly marked and numbered with an appropriate amount of space between each pitch.

We were advised, when booking, that our pitch would be on a slight slope and this was the case but not a real problem.

The toilet block was excellent and very clean and always plenty of hot water. One of my few issues with this site is that there is no cold/hot control on the showers and the water was always very hot, not unbearable and I guess better than cold water. There is no need for 20p's as the showers are free.

The dish washing area was good and again there was always hot water.

I was really impressed with the entertainment put on each night which varied between disco, bingo and games for kids.

There is a small cafe downstairs and although we didn't use it the food I saw coming out looked very good.

The onsite shop had a very good stock including food, drink, games for kids and camping spares.

Swimming pool was always clean and a life guard was always working.

While we were there it rained very heavily and at the bottom of the field we were in suffered some flooding which luckily didn't get into anyone tents but if carried on would have. Speaking to some of the site workers he said there had been problems in the past so be aware where you are when pitching your tent etc.

Overall this is a great site and managed very well and is one of the best I've been to.

Date of Visit: August 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Eggy2008 5 reviews from this member

On arrival we were given to believe that they could only just fit us in but later found out there was a complete field empty.

We were given a pitch that was on a 25 degree angle and as we had paid we pitched but were very unhappy because we were also next to the childs playground.

After a night of everything sliding and rolling out of bed after being woken at 7.00 am by the kids on the playground we decided to complain and we were moved to the (old)field which was further away from all the noise and hooray it was almost flat.

The new block of toilets/showers were great but the older block in the middle of the site were a bit compact and grubby so we walked the extra distance and used the far ones .

The bar was fine apart from kids constantly running in and out even though there were signs telling them not to.

The food was good although a bit pricey.

Good points.

Site was clean.

One of the shower blocks was roomy and clean

Bad points.

A lot of the pitches are very slopey so ask to view it before you pay.

Very noisy with kids at night and seagulls very early in the morning.

Middle shower block was old grubby and cubicles were very small.

Ground is very soft on top but very hard 2' underneath so take strong pegs .

We as touring campers didnt feel very welcome there but for a family with children it may suit as they do provide activities and things for children to do but be aware they do charge extra for them.

Date of Visit: July 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Szatko79 1 review from this member

Last time I stayed a Whitehill was about 15 years ago and I can remember myself, my brother and my sister all loving it.

Have just come back from spending 3 nights there with my partner and his 2 children (aged 9 & 11). They loved it just as much as I did at their age!

I was totally gutted to discover that the hidden adventure play area / assault course up in the depths of the hills& trees has all been overgrown(and the current owners know nothing about it)!

However, the pool is still well maintained, warm and supervised. The play areas are ample, safe and pleasant. The shop stocks just about everything you may need, and the cafe (although a little pricey) was yummy too (only had one dinner and one breakfast there).

Oh, and the kids absolutely loved the fun & games & disco on Tuesday evening in the Hayloft Bar.

Didn't get the chance to go (due to our wonderful British Weather), but Goodrington sands, paignton has a fab looking water park - if you have kids, take them there!

Date of Visit: July 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Rach99 1 review from this member

My son and I stayed here this past weekend and it was lovely. We couldn't have wished for better weather! The site was very clean and tidy, nicely cut grass. Shower and toilet blocks also very clean and tidy too with free showers and no queues. Plenty of electric sockets in the ladies for hairdryers / straighteners. Children's play areas were good also. On site laundrette (which I didn't use) but looked very well equipped).
Swimming Pool was very nice and heated, with a lifeguard on duty all day as far as I know. Good on site shop which was a little expensive, but useful in that it stocked pretty much everything you may need. I did use the takeaway on the Saturday evening and was not impressed with the cod (I ended up being very sick as I think the fish was off!). All the other members of our party had something different from there which was fine.
Site does have a club house which we didn't use on this occasion. Would definitely go back, my son (10 yrs) thoroughly enjoyed it, and despite the mild food poisoning it hasn't put me off the site itself.

Took a trip into Paignton on the Sunday morning, lots of shops, also went to Paignton Zoo which was well worth a visit, its only 2 miles away from this site.

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Mrsluigi 7 reviews from this member

This was our first proper camping trip in our tent after a disasterous trial run in May in clacton. We didn't need to book in advance but were told we would be allocated a pitch on arrival.We stayed 3 nights before moving on to a static on another site. The grass was well cut and dry.
Staff were friendly. The toilets and showers were very clean and we never had to queue. The take away was ok (we had chips one night) We didn't get to use any of the other facilities but the bar looked pretty full. We used it as a base to explore the surrounding area - Torquay, Paighton Crealy adventure park, Blackpool sands are not far away.

We would definitely go back again.

Date of Visit: July 2007 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Jules1972 8 reviews from this member

We came last year, loved it and came back. Ok the weather was awful, (little understatement), but the campsite was still good. Excellent facilities and staff only too happy to help. They have added a few extras this year. A free birds of prey display, scuba diving in the pool (10) to name a couple.

Evening entertainment for the kids, then disco afterwards. Onsite shop, takeaway, bar, amusement arcade, arts and crafts, pool, laundrette - this site really does have it all! Goodrington, Paignton and Torquay are all close by.

It was our second trip, and we're booked to go back next year. Enough said really. A good family holiday is on offer here, I suggest anybody takes it.

Previous     124 Reviews in total, now showing 73 to 78      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win a pair of OLPRO Hush Sleeping Bags worth 48.00 Win a HandiMoova Off-road Foldable Hand Trolley!

UKCS Meet Beat at Tencreek 60s Weekend, Cornwall - 14th to 16th October
A Sounds of the Swinging Sixties long weekend concert with camping on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2016