Visitor Reviews - Gibraltar Farm Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lancashire > Site Reviews

Gibraltar Farm Camp Site
Gibraltar Farm
Jenny Browns Point
Silverdale
Lancashire   (Browse area)
LA50UA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m 1m  1m  1m   1m  1m

Open: All Year

Reviews:  206 in total, now showing 131 to 140                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!
Win £100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win £100 of Caravan Club vouchers or £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just £48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: September 2007 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Chrisworton 1 review from this member

We stayed at the site when there was a motorbike rally being held in one of the fields. What a fantastic experience! The biker folk were a very friendly lot and knew how to have a good time. Something going on for the whole 3 days almost around the clock.
This event did not affect the peace and tranquil atmosphere of the camp as there is a small woods between the rally field and campsite. I thought that maybe if there wasn't anything going on at the time that it could have been a bit boring.
You can take a trail through the woods and end up in a small cove with caves where the tide almost comes in to the edge of the woods. If you were to climb the small cliff face ( which was very easy to do, my wife did it in healed shoes) you then have a magnificent view out to sea. You will find a large sofa like bench made from huge stones facing out to sea were you can sit and relax. I will definitely be going back to this place again.

Date of Visit: October 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dizzycamper 3 reviews from this member

Visited site 4 times last year after recommendation. Lovely atmosphere. On setting up found water wouldnt work in our van but steward managed to set it all up for us while his wife made us coffee, what a nice welcome. They have several events throughout the year which I hear are very good but need to be booked in advance as we couldnt get on. Really nice friendly site which was very clean with shops/pubs close by.

Kids quite happy to explore the site, nothing - but everything for them to do. Only saw them when they wanted feeding Ice pops and cornettos for sale cheap from stewards awning which kept them happy. Have just booked for Easter and can't wait. To top the lot you can have a small fire outside your caravan, what better way to spend the evening. Roll on Easter, but will be back again and again and again.

Date of Visit: September 2007 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Mycocks 5 reviews from this member

Been to this site on 2 different occasions. Both times the scenery was amazing and the walks was great for the dogs. The site is spread into 3 fields which is nice and peaceful. The campsite backs onto a Woodlands which I do believe can be hired for £100 a night. The owner was friendly and helpful. The toilets and showers were limited but was ok for the weekend. Local is a pub in the town and an Italian Restaurant and a Co-op and not too far down the road is a large Tesco. Would recommend it to anyone that wants a peaceful break. The price wasn't bad to stay there either.

Date of Visit: September 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Bentleyworld 1 review from this member

Turned up late, and following the clear and concise instructions from the Steward, Mike, on where to pitch, I started to set the caravan in place. It was very dark as we got there after 9pm (car trouble - yeah, we didn't get in it until 7.30pm - a little disorganised this trip).Mike slipped on the grass whilst helping me to traighten the caravan up, andhurt his leg - big bump. He just laughed it off, but I was concerned and saw a hefty bump no doubt followed by a hefty bruise. Neither as big as his generosity and willingness to help at a drop of a hat.

I make a living working with people; naughty ones, and so am quite skilled in judging a persons abilities, intentions and potential. Mike, the Steward, took me by surprise. He devoted enormous energy to make us and many many others to feel welcome, nah better than that, Cherished. I saw a generous, caring and driven family man with everyones well being at the foremost of his mind. I have only been home a couple of hours and can't wait to get back there. If you visit, get a load of the photo album - it will give you a solid taste of the quality of persons that frequent the site and the lengths that are gone to on your behalf to ensure your stay is a cherished memory.

This weekend, there must have been a few hundred people there, spreadoutover this really big site; all the electric hookups were taken up after we arrived, and despite the numbers, I was very at ease, and soaked up theGreat feel to the place, laughter and playing, an excellent ambiance.

The facilities were perfectly adequate,toilet shower block, washing up facilities and chemical and grey waste facilities. There is a little shop at the top of the hill, but if you didn't fancy the wander, or you were just sending the kids, they could buy a cornetto, can of popor ice pop from the Stewards van for a few pennies.

I do have one wish though, I put a lot of effort into recycling as much of my waste as possible, but the bin area was just a big metal mesh hopper full of bags of waste. With the high number of children there this weekend, it would be good to encourage them to recycle as much as possible I feel.

I had a regular turf pitch and it seemed well drained and firm under foot - you may be 30 or so feet away from electric on a rare occasion so if you haven't got a long lead cable it is best to mention this when booking a pitch - also, I can see that this place is very popular so booking should be recommended.

I knew this was a working farm, but I was not prepared to see cows on site; they were being taken up for milking by the farmer in his landrover and his sheep/cow dog doing all the running around.

We went into silverdale to the Royal Hotel for the carvery on Sunday, which was really good, £25 totalfor 2 adults and 2 children's platters, I had a plate of roast beef and my hearty appetite was satisfied. My wife had a mix of roast beef pork and turkey but wished she had stayed with the beef on reflection.Desserts were quite ordinary.A simple playground with slide, climbing frame and swing but enough to keep my three mobile children more than happy playing.

Finally, I was suitably impressed with the beautiful views and Saturday sunset at Gibraltar Farm - something to remember!

I think we may become regulars!

Date of Visit: September 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Lynles 20 reviews from this member

Well thank god for good friends otherwise we would have been going home.

The owner and the warden need to organise themselves much better I confirmed a tent with ehu. The morning of going to the site I rang to confirm whether or not we had ehu and was told we did. When we arrived we were told we did not have it. We did not have a single item to cook with blow airbeds up with as we had removed all of our gas as we were told we had ehu we had 3 very unhappy children as it looked like we would have to go home anyway thanks to kind people we managed to get a cooker and our airbeds pumped up for us all I can say is it is such a shame as this has put us off going back to this lovely place so beware when booking electric for a tent. I was also told you are not allowed electric heaters in tents??

Date of Visit: August 2007 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Delinquentwoody 3 reviews from this member

We spent one night here as part of our holiday, after spending the day in Blackpool. (it was only a short drive up the motorway, and fairly easy to follow directions after that), After choosing the site when we saw it featured in the new book "Cool Camping", which features the 40 "coolest" campsites in England based on niceness factor.

When arriving the site looks really nice - at the top of the approach slope you see the fields ahead of you as you drive down the hill. We parked in the far field, with our van overlooking Morecambe Bay which was really nice. Pity about the weather that night - but the next morning was really nice which allowed us a bit of time to sneak through the snicket and enjoy the fantastic views across the bay. Apparently there is also an RSPB site near here, though we didn't visit this.

The toilet/shower facilities are very basic for a site of this size, but sufficed for our one night. There was one shower for men and one for the ladies, for the whole campsite so I can imagine there may be queues at busy times but personnely I didn't experience this.

Other users have commented on noise from late night parties etc at this site - again I didn't experience any of this, though I think that may have been due to the inclement weather. Most of the other tents appeared to be occupied by families with young children.

I would recommend this site if you want to get away from it for a couple of days, but no longer, as the facilities are a bit too basic. And it's within easy driving distance of The Lakes and Blackpool, if you're travelling between the two it makes a great point to stop off.

Reviewer: Cheryl349 2 reviews from this member

Lovely site, always made to feel very welcome by stewards. Was disappointed that no extra showers or dish wash have been added to the site this year as this really can be a problem at busy periods with long queues. There is now a shed on way down hill selling ice cream but its worth noting that you can buy 3 cornets down on field for the price of one at this shed. Big savings when you have 5 kids with you! Stewards have events back on again this year which you mustn't miss, looking forward to the fancy dress party in August. Kids cannot wait
Really is a fabulous camp site with a lovely atmosphere. Will be back in August and again and again and.

Reviewer: Pensioner 3 reviews from this member

Just come back from Gibraltar Farm nice site but and a large but very busy and noisy. What happened to the code of practise for campers no noise after 11.00. Lots of single sex parties and alcohol need I say any more. The facilities where clean but with amount of people no were near enough showers, washing up sinks, toilets.
With all the complaints we had a real good time but would not go weekend or school holidays again.

Date of Visit: July 2007 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Harry Bongo 12 reviews from this member

We've been using this delightful site for years but unfortunately, this year, about eight of the best and most sheltered pitches with hook ups have now been let to long term caravanners who are either creating 'gardens' around their vans or alternatively making the site look like its got resident 'travellers' who have taken up residence for the summer/autumn and seem to resent the visitors.

Reviewer: Vickybarwick 5 reviews from this member

We LOVE this campsite. A truly stunning location.

We have been a couple of times now and will continue to use it for weekends away, though I would be more than happy to spend a week here.

The toilet block is always clean and I haven't had to queue for either of the two showers in the ladies, thought there is only one shower in the gents, I believe. There are two sinks to wash up in at the side of the block. Hot water and showers are free.

The steward is very friendly and helpful and they run entertainment on certain weekends of the year. There was a Hoe down planned for the weekend we visited but it was postponed due to the poor weather.

Very reasonable prices. We paid £10 for a family tent with 4 adults.

You can book the woodlands (a very large area) to yourselves for £100 per night for up to 10 tents, £10 per tent thereafter and campfires are permitted in the woods. I can't wait for my next stay for which I have done just that.

A very laid back atmosphere here with very happy campers. Although there were a lot of people here, it never felt crowded.

I look forward to many more weekends here :-)

Best site I've stayed at.

Previous     206 Reviews in total, now showing 131 to 140      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win £100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of £100 of Caravan Club vouchers or £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Lancashire   -   Search for a site

Win an OLPRO Knightwick 3 Tent Win tickets to the NEC Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show

UKCS Meet NEC Caravan Camping & Motorhome Show - 21st to 26th February
Hundreds of caravans, motorhomes, tents, holiday lodges and 1000's of accessories all under one roof! ...more