Visitor Reviews - Gwithian Farm Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Site Reviews

Gwithian Farm Campsite
1 Churchtown Rd
Gwithian, Hayle
St Ives
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR27 5BX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m

Open: April To October

Reviews:  240 in total, now showing 141 to 150                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win 100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Reviewer: Shots 4 reviews from this member

Sometimes everything about your camping holiday just slots into place. Some of theses things cannot be 'managed' by the site owners (weather being one) but my experience tells me that a great site and a great holiday is dependent on the hard work put in by the owners and their team.

The positives:

The welcome - very calming after a long journey.
The friendliness of Mike & Claire - nothing seemed too much trouble.
The pitches - spacious.
The toilet block - modern and really clean.
The pets / goats! - The kids loved them.
The playing field - The kids loved the social interaction.
The location - Wow.

The negatives:

None!

This site really does capture all that is great about UK camping in 2009. Not over commercialised but great facilities.

I have picked up on a few reviews that the shop is a little expensive. Let me put this into context. From the shop we hired three wetsuits and three body boards for the beach for the day. Later on during the week we required four wetsuits and bodyboards for another day in the sea. On paying Mike in the shop said 'Lets call it ?? (I won't let on the cost but it was less than the original charge for three suits and bodyboards) because you have already hired this week'!

We visited during May Half-Term. The Wednesday night was the European Champions League Final between Man Utd and Barcelona. Mike promptly opened up his storage barn, placed a TV on what looked like an old filing cabinet, and invited those that were interested to bring a chair and a drink. I didn't count but thought that there were about 50 adults and kids perched around the TV. Fantastic!

During our week the site was visited by a fish and chip van, the local Indian curry house, and a fresh fish seller. Great if you want to mix the bbq and tent cooking with something a little different.

In summary we have been to quite a few UK sites over the past 8 years and Gwithian Farm is by far our favourite. Definitely going back.

Reviewer: HannahH 1 review from this member

Just had a great week here and the reviews on here were right! It is a lovely site, good facilities, small shop but had everything we needed (and where my youngest boy spent nearly all of his holiday money!), facilities were very good and coped with a full site over the bank holiday and half-term week. Sometimes you had to queue for a shower but never for long and it was quiet at other times of the day.
There was plenty of hot water, toilet block was clean all the time, but perhaps could have done with more washing up sinks - there were six I think and they seemed to be always busy.
My boys had great fun on the centre field playing with other kids, although this must have been fairly noisy for tents in that area. Games / noise all stopped at a reasonable time though.

Only tried the pub for one drink, but would recommend the Pizza Patio in Hayle and the Quay House Inn further along towards St. Ives. Also the Trevalskis Farm shop and restaurant were good in Connor Downs. It was great having the M&S nearby for picking up picnic stuff on days out or BBQ/breakfast things for meals.

This was a great place, tent didn't blow away even though it was quite windy at times being near the sea and we will definitely be going back if we can get in!

Reviewer: Rusky 8 reviews from this member

What a fantastic site! My wife and two boys and our friends and their two boys stayed here for the Whitsun half term break.

First of all the welcome we got was excellent, after a long journey down it was most appreciated, great attention to detail.

The site itself is stunning. Good size pitches and well laid out. The views are amazing and just a short walk gets you to a beautiful beach.

The showers and washing facilities whilst always busy were always clean.

There was a mobile fish and chip shop there on Sunday evening, we didn't have any so I can't comment on them, but we did have the curry that was brought to the site from a local Indian restaurant on Tuesday night which was excellent and very popular.

We had a brilliant time at this site, the kids were well chilled out with the body boards that could be hired from the well stocked shop for 2 a day, and we will definitely be going back.

The best site we have visited so far.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Shaadow005 9 reviews from this member

My last visit was at the beginning of the month, for the lads' weekend when we have no ladies and plenty of kiteing on the superb beach.

This visit was with my wife and the two dogs, and as usual the welcome and the site are superb.

I was sat with the two dogs on the sunday evening, waiting patiently on my part, impatiently as far as the two hairy ladies in my life were concerned (noses constantly in the air sniffing as we were downwind of the chip van!). I was mellowing nicely as the glass of wine in front of me emptied, and wondering what makes this site so special, and looking around I saw Dads interacting with their children in a manner that they probably don't have chance to do in a normally hectic life, and predominantly I saw relaxed smiles on everyones faces, much holding of hands and happy interchanges between total strangers.Yes I love being here; if only the fish and chips would arrive to offset the alcohol. HIC!

Be back again this year for more of the same.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Lauren 7 6 reviews from this member

We stayed here for a week, my husband, daughter (who was 3) and I. In our VW camper.

We had a lovely pitch, beautifully manicured, lovely flowers and great grass. We had plenty of space too to park up and pitch our awning.

We had a paved bit for cars up to our pitch and all the kids had their bikes and scooters and could pedal round the campsite. Our daughter spent ages going up and down.

We also had a sand pit near us but it was very deep (our daughter couldn't get in and out by herself) and didn't have much sand in it. I'd say that was fairly uncharacteristic of the site as everything else was well kept.

The site had guinea pigs and goats which my daughter adored. She spent lots of time hanging around their pens which was close to us.

I don't remember there being any swings or park of any kind, though there was a central area for kids to play and it could have done with some equipment.

The toilet and shower facilities were very good and clean and well kept.

The site is certainly not 'a few minutes walk from the beach'. I'd say 10-15 mins for the average person at least. With a 3 year old it was quite an excursion. It's not really walk able with children less than 8-10 I'd say.

The surrounding area was lovely. Gwithian Lighthouse and the area around is gorgeous for walking, and you can see seals frequently around the coast there (we saw seals several times actually on the remoter beaches). The sand is lovely and stretches for miles so there is lots of space for everyone all year.

On the whole we really enjoyed our stay and we really liked the campsite. I'd strongly recommend it and I'd consider staying here again, but in practice probably wouldn't because it's too far for us to come for the weekend and for a week I'd be looking for a little more like some play equipment at least to lure me back to the same place. We also came expecting to be able to fall onto the beach easily and come and go for a few hours at a time and it's simply too far.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Shaadow005 9 reviews from this member

I worked as the maintenance man at Finlake leisure park when it was probably the biggest caravan and camping park in Devon, and I have camped/caravanned at all sorts of parks throughout the UK, and as a result I always said I would take all the good points from all of them and none of the bad points, and when I won the lottery would create a camping/caravanning site that people would find pretty well perfect.

Unfortunately Mike and Claire have beaten me to it!

The superb facilities that always seem to be spotless, the location just five minutes by car or 10 minutes walking to the beach, (and what a beach! superb sand and it goes all the way from Gwithian to the St Ives estuary, and dogs are welcome on parts of it), superb pub across the road, the constantly improving site, and a friendly welcome to rival any.

Hayle with excellent shops,pubs,pasty shop etc is only 10 mins by car.

I could go on and on about the excellent stays I have had here, both on the 'lads weekends' powerkiteing, and also with my Wife and two dogs.

But most of it has already been said, so all I can add is 'book it, try it, love it', I can guarantee you won't regret it!

If I can't get a pitch there in the future, I'll have to learn to keep these little treasures to myself!

Date of Visit: September 2008 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Johndavis 9 reviews from this member

Great site in a great location!

We arrived on the last busy Saturday of the summer and were given the last pitch which was plenty big enough for our Vango Orchy. We would have preferred to have not been facing onto the central play area but it was no big deal. We experienced a very stormy couple of days but the site remained relatively dry and mud-free. The owners are very friendly and attentive and run a well-kept site. Facilities are very clean with hot water in the showers, good washing up area and freezers for blocks. The small shop sold the basics only. Hayle is 10 minutes away with a good range of shops, including Co-op and St Ives just a bit further on with a large Tesco. There is a pub over the road from the entrance which is friendly and serves great beer.

The main selling point is, however, the site's proximity to the amazing coastline with miles of sandy beaches, dunes and fabulous views. The coast path is a leisurely 10 minute walk away reached via a footpath. There are several quite up-market cafe/bars within walking distance.

We've already booked a week in July when we're taking our son and his daughter for a week!

Date of Visit: September 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bandk 1 review from this member

Our first ever camping trip and our honeymoon. What can I say, we set of from Scunthorpe and drove for 8 hrs with a few breaks, as we got near we went over a brow of a hill and WOW what a view. We checked in and they were friendly, they gave us a map of the site and area, we pitched and went to the pub which was very nice.

The site was looked after and clean, as were the showers which also had a bathroom for families and lots of sinks to wash pots. It was only 2 mins to the pub and 5 mins to the beach which was clean and had a lifeguard and we walked for miles. Shops were only 2 mins away.

There seemed lots of attractions nearby but not a lot on site for kids but wasn't really looking and wish it was nearer home as will go again (not for honeymoon) hopefully.

As this was our first time camping we didn't know what to expect and nothing to compare it with.

Date of Visit: September 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Brok02 6 reviews from this member

Just returned from Gwithian Farm a lovely site, very welcoming, generous pitches, clean and spacious toilet block lots of hot water. Small shop on site with basic supplies information board with weather things to do etc. Pub across the road good food and dog friendly.

Supermarket / shops only 5 mins in car away in Hayle, and the best thing only 10min walk to the best beach all we needed was better weather, but in all one of the best sites we have stayed at highly recommended will return.

Date of Visit: August 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: I need sun 11 reviews from this member

Can't really add much to previous posts but felt the need to say how much we loved this site. The atmosphere is relaxed but ordered & this is totally due to the owners who are ace.

I'll just add my local tips:

Gwithian beach is excellent - not crowded at all & the Sunset Surf cafe is worth visiting.

Walk along the cliff top around Godrevy to Hell's Mouth cafe - the cream teas looked lovely.

Visit Marazion & the island - the cream teas here were lovely!

Fish & chips in the 1st chippy you get to in Hayle from Gwithian - mmmm the gravy

Sorry Penzance but don't bother going there - the centre is a bit grotty (although there were nice parks just outside).

Definitely visit the Red River Inn (opp the camp site) - the best holiday pub I've been to.

Previous     240 Reviews in total, now showing 141 to 150      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (West)   -   Search for a site

Three Car Seat Protectors / Hammocks to be won Win an Outwell Flagstaff 5a Inflatable Tent Package worth over 1000

UKCS Meet Volksworld Show, Sandown Park, Surrey - 25th to 26th March
Europe`s largest VW Show with 100s of cars inside and out, traders, live music and more ...more