Visitor Reviews - Gwithian Farm Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Site Reviews

Gwithian Farm Campsite
1 Churchtown Rd
Gwithian, Hayle
St Ives
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR27 5BX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m

Open: April To October

Reviews:  245 in total, now showing 141 to 150                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Reviewer: Kenandrob 8 reviews from this member

We stumbled upon this site when looking to stay somewhere in Cornwall (first time to the area) close to St Ives.

First off, have to say Clair, the owner (never met Mike), is as friendly and helpful as they come. Great tips and advice about the area.

The pitches here are fairly close and one of our 'neighbours' (not next to us but a few pitches down) seemed to like to tell his child off quite a bit and we heard every word.

They offer free ice pack freezing but because the freezers are open/closed so much it takes a while.

The site is great for walking on the beach and through the dunes. Very beautiful. We spent a night out on the dunes having drinks and watching the sea. The site seemed to get quiet about 10.30pm/11.00pm which is not good for us as we like to sit up and chat and play cards or Scrabble. Even a whisper and you can hear your next door neighbour.

The pitch we stayed on was flat and green. The men's toilet block has plenty of free showers and the water was nice and hot. There were also a lot of outdoor washing up sinks for dishes. Never had to queue to wash up.

We only went into St Ives one day (worth a visit once but nothing to write home about, and being Tate members found the Tate in St Ives very disappointing - thankfully we didn't have to pay to go in). There are better places to check out in the area such as Sennen Cove and Cape Cornwall (nice walking trails and scenic).

There are two pubs in the immediate area - one right across the street with a beer garden, the Red River Inn (seemed popular with locals and the staff were very friendly); the other a longer walk, the Sandsifter. Nice staff and we ate there as we just couldn't deal with pulling out the stove and cooking. Had a pizza and it was really nice - better than one of your chain pizza places. BUT I would imagine it could be a 'scene' on the weekends.

Again, Clair couldn't have been more helpful on tips on what to do, where to go outside of St. Ives.

The shop is open for an hour in the morning and one in the afternoon and other sporadic intervals. However, the Lidl and M&S are only a very short drive (my first time being in a Lidl and found it very interesting at the things they sell - every Lidl helps).

We would give this a higher rating but found the pitches just a little too close but they do try and segregate families into the middle field and keep couples and groups to the outer edges

Date of Visit: June 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Gedling1570 9 reviews from this member

Lovely camp site our only complaint was the amount of people who had dogs on site! Some owners made them shut up and some did not! Also tents and caravans are mixed this in my books a no no as you get a lot of noise through canvas. And except for this, great camp site clean lovely big pitches, good facilities. The showers are free lovely hot water. Great sunday lunch at the pub over the road never tasted food like it. Good price as well. And it was all cooked in olive oil.

The site is also close to the beach and dunes, owners are very helpful and will help you out if they can in any way . We will be going back

Reviewer: Mykp 5 reviews from this member

A lovely site, with good facilities although if your located at the back of the site the toilet block is over 300 metres away. Also the rear footpath in/out of the site is located close to the back of the site. We spoke to a couple who where located at the back of the site and they said they had been woken up early in the morning by surfers struggling with the gate.

Toilets and the site in general where spotless.

The site has a number of rules and are enforced, things like no vehicular movement after 11pm and before 7am also, they have a quiet rule after 11pm which is great because at 11pm the site goes quiet.

Those pitched in the centre of the field, its split into an outside and an inside separated by the access road should be wary that the centre of the inside field is also the childs play area.

We found the staff to be helpful, however they where preoccupied with the phone, which constantly rang, when I was checking in so this took ages - which was quite annoying after an 8 hour drive.

There is an ice cream van which come round most days, Mr Whippy 'Yum' as well as an Fish and Chip van and Curry house visited. The chippy I thought was alright, but the curry was very good.

The beach is at most 10 minutes walk and is beautiful and most of the time we where there in late June it was deserted. The dog beach is further down from the camp site and access is not the easiest but the main beach is dog friendly from 7pm to 8am everyday. There is a warden and the both time we saw him he asked if we had poo bags with us.

The food at the pub across the road with very good, especially Sunday lunch.

Site was pretty busy during the week, but weekends was almost full.

Reviewer: Sennen63 5 reviews from this member

It all been said before - a great campsite with clean facilities.

We stayed in term time so very quiet with very few children - we don't mind as ours are grown up.

Probably busy with families in the school holidays as it is so near the beach and has plenty of space for children to play on site.

Would definitely use this site again.

Reviewer: PoyntonSmith 1 review from this member

A fantastic campsite with an excellent beach for surfing and body boarding within a 10 minute walk. Absolutely beautiful location. Our children aged 8 and 7 loved the guinea pigs and goats on the site and also playing in the pools on the beach when the tide had gone out over near the Godvrey Cafe.

The campsite owners were always willing to help and advise on local facilities.

The campsite facilities were always clean and everything you could possibly need to have a camping holiday. Everything seemed to have been thought of. The toilets and showers are in a modern new building and very clean and bright. Family bathroom and showers and provided as well. Washing up sinks are plentiful and kept immaculately clean.

The shop is well stocked and even had local fresh strawberries when we were there. It could have been open a little longer in the day but the policy was if the door was open then you could go in ! It seemed to be open a lot.

Freezers are provided for free for blue bars. As it was very hot during our visit this was an excellent bonus.

A fresh fish van with fantastic local fish visited the site once a week and during half term week there was a fish and chip van visited one evening and a local Indian restaurant did a curry night from outside the campsite shop !

After two weeks there we were sad to come home and can't wait to go back next year.

Reviewer: Shots 4 reviews from this member

Sometimes everything about your camping holiday just slots into place. Some of theses things cannot be 'managed' by the site owners (weather being one) but my experience tells me that a great site and a great holiday is dependent on the hard work put in by the owners and their team.

The positives:

The welcome - very calming after a long journey.
The friendliness of Mike & Claire - nothing seemed too much trouble.
The pitches - spacious.
The toilet block - modern and really clean.
The pets / goats! - The kids loved them.
The playing field - The kids loved the social interaction.
The location - Wow.

The negatives:

None!

This site really does capture all that is great about UK camping in 2009. Not over commercialised but great facilities.

I have picked up on a few reviews that the shop is a little expensive. Let me put this into context. From the shop we hired three wetsuits and three body boards for the beach for the day. Later on during the week we required four wetsuits and bodyboards for another day in the sea. On paying Mike in the shop said 'Lets call it ?? (I won't let on the cost but it was less than the original charge for three suits and bodyboards) because you have already hired this week'!

We visited during May Half-Term. The Wednesday night was the European Champions League Final between Man Utd and Barcelona. Mike promptly opened up his storage barn, placed a TV on what looked like an old filing cabinet, and invited those that were interested to bring a chair and a drink. I didn't count but thought that there were about 50 adults and kids perched around the TV. Fantastic!

During our week the site was visited by a fish and chip van, the local Indian curry house, and a fresh fish seller. Great if you want to mix the bbq and tent cooking with something a little different.

In summary we have been to quite a few UK sites over the past 8 years and Gwithian Farm is by far our favourite. Definitely going back.

Reviewer: HannahH 1 review from this member

Just had a great week here and the reviews on here were right! It is a lovely site, good facilities, small shop but had everything we needed (and where my youngest boy spent nearly all of his holiday money!), facilities were very good and coped with a full site over the bank holiday and half-term week. Sometimes you had to queue for a shower but never for long and it was quiet at other times of the day.
There was plenty of hot water, toilet block was clean all the time, but perhaps could have done with more washing up sinks - there were six I think and they seemed to be always busy.
My boys had great fun on the centre field playing with other kids, although this must have been fairly noisy for tents in that area. Games / noise all stopped at a reasonable time though.

Only tried the pub for one drink, but would recommend the Pizza Patio in Hayle and the Quay House Inn further along towards St. Ives. Also the Trevalskis Farm shop and restaurant were good in Connor Downs. It was great having the M&S nearby for picking up picnic stuff on days out or BBQ/breakfast things for meals.

This was a great place, tent didn't blow away even though it was quite windy at times being near the sea and we will definitely be going back if we can get in!

Reviewer: Rusky 8 reviews from this member

What a fantastic site! My wife and two boys and our friends and their two boys stayed here for the Whitsun half term break.

First of all the welcome we got was excellent, after a long journey down it was most appreciated, great attention to detail.

The site itself is stunning. Good size pitches and well laid out. The views are amazing and just a short walk gets you to a beautiful beach.

The showers and washing facilities whilst always busy were always clean.

There was a mobile fish and chip shop there on Sunday evening, we didn't have any so I can't comment on them, but we did have the curry that was brought to the site from a local Indian restaurant on Tuesday night which was excellent and very popular.

We had a brilliant time at this site, the kids were well chilled out with the body boards that could be hired from the well stocked shop for 2 a day, and we will definitely be going back.

The best site we have visited so far.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Shaadow005 9 reviews from this member

My last visit was at the beginning of the month, for the lads' weekend when we have no ladies and plenty of kiteing on the superb beach.

This visit was with my wife and the two dogs, and as usual the welcome and the site are superb.

I was sat with the two dogs on the sunday evening, waiting patiently on my part, impatiently as far as the two hairy ladies in my life were concerned (noses constantly in the air sniffing as we were downwind of the chip van!). I was mellowing nicely as the glass of wine in front of me emptied, and wondering what makes this site so special, and looking around I saw Dads interacting with their children in a manner that they probably don't have chance to do in a normally hectic life, and predominantly I saw relaxed smiles on everyones faces, much holding of hands and happy interchanges between total strangers.Yes I love being here; if only the fish and chips would arrive to offset the alcohol. HIC!

Be back again this year for more of the same.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Lauren 7 6 reviews from this member

We stayed here for a week, my husband, daughter (who was 3) and I. In our VW camper.

We had a lovely pitch, beautifully manicured, lovely flowers and great grass. We had plenty of space too to park up and pitch our awning.

We had a paved bit for cars up to our pitch and all the kids had their bikes and scooters and could pedal round the campsite. Our daughter spent ages going up and down.

We also had a sand pit near us but it was very deep (our daughter couldn't get in and out by herself) and didn't have much sand in it. I'd say that was fairly uncharacteristic of the site as everything else was well kept.

The site had guinea pigs and goats which my daughter adored. She spent lots of time hanging around their pens which was close to us.

I don't remember there being any swings or park of any kind, though there was a central area for kids to play and it could have done with some equipment.

The toilet and shower facilities were very good and clean and well kept.

The site is certainly not 'a few minutes walk from the beach'. I'd say 10-15 mins for the average person at least. With a 3 year old it was quite an excursion. It's not really walk able with children less than 8-10 I'd say.

The surrounding area was lovely. Gwithian Lighthouse and the area around is gorgeous for walking, and you can see seals frequently around the coast there (we saw seals several times actually on the remoter beaches). The sand is lovely and stretches for miles so there is lots of space for everyone all year.

On the whole we really enjoyed our stay and we really liked the campsite. I'd strongly recommend it and I'd consider staying here again, but in practice probably wouldn't because it's too far for us to come for the weekend and for a week I'd be looking for a little more like some play equipment at least to lure me back to the same place. We also came expecting to be able to fall onto the beach easily and come and go for a few hours at a time and it's simply too far.

Previous     245 Reviews in total, now showing 141 to 150      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (West)   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 18 to 21 January 2018
Advanced booking discount plus we have 15 pairs of tickets to give away ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

Coming Soon!

24 Daily Prizes worth up to 100 and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth 500!
Get an Email