Visitor Reviews - Gibraltar Farm Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lancashire > Site Reviews

Gibraltar Farm Camp Site
Gibraltar Farm
Jenny Browns Point
Silverdale
Lancashire   (Browse area)
LA50UA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m 1m  1m  1m   1m  1m

Open: All Year

Reviews:  209 in total, now showing 141 to 150                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a £300 Prize Package including £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Reviewer: Pensioner 3 reviews from this member

Just come back from Gibraltar Farm nice site but and a large but very busy and noisy. What happened to the code of practise for campers no noise after 11.00. Lots of single sex parties and alcohol need I say any more. The facilities where clean but with amount of people no were near enough showers, washing up sinks, toilets.
With all the complaints we had a real good time but would not go weekend or school holidays again.

Date of Visit: July 2007 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Harry Bongo 12 reviews from this member

We've been using this delightful site for years but unfortunately, this year, about eight of the best and most sheltered pitches with hook ups have now been let to long term caravanners who are either creating 'gardens' around their vans or alternatively making the site look like its got resident 'travellers' who have taken up residence for the summer/autumn and seem to resent the visitors.

Reviewer: Vickybarwick 5 reviews from this member

We LOVE this campsite. A truly stunning location.

We have been a couple of times now and will continue to use it for weekends away, though I would be more than happy to spend a week here.

The toilet block is always clean and I haven't had to queue for either of the two showers in the ladies, thought there is only one shower in the gents, I believe. There are two sinks to wash up in at the side of the block. Hot water and showers are free.

The steward is very friendly and helpful and they run entertainment on certain weekends of the year. There was a Hoe down planned for the weekend we visited but it was postponed due to the poor weather.

Very reasonable prices. We paid £10 for a family tent with 4 adults.

You can book the woodlands (a very large area) to yourselves for £100 per night for up to 10 tents, £10 per tent thereafter and campfires are permitted in the woods. I can't wait for my next stay for which I have done just that.

A very laid back atmosphere here with very happy campers. Although there were a lot of people here, it never felt crowded.

I look forward to many more weekends here :-)

Best site I've stayed at.

Reviewer: Mancunian 2 reviews from this member

I stayed here for 1 night and had a great time. The wardens were welcoming. The site has two fields, one for caravans and one for tents. The tent field has the best views of the Bay, which are fantastic. The sunsets are really awesome. There are sheep in the neighbouring fields and plenty of bird life all around. We saw a Kestrel hunting and an owl in the tree next to our tent.

The toilet block is clean but there are only 2 showers. Hot water is free and there is an area for washing up.

The village of Silverdale is very picturesque and there are two tea rooms near by, one attached to a garden centre and another to an art gallery. Excellent area for gentle walking and there is good access to the Bay.

On some weekends there are organised events run by the wardens (barn dance, bonfire night, dog shows) which everyone is welcome to participate in should they wish but just as easily you can get on with your own thing.

This is a working farm so dogs are welcome but must be kept on a lead at all times.

The wardens sell basic items like canned drinks and there is a hut that is open each day selling home made ice cream.

All in all, a nice site for a short break. Recommended.

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Marshes 1 review from this member

We visited this site and really enjoyed it. The surrounding area was great, lovely walks and countryside,the village of silverdale was within easy walking distance 1/2 mile where the coop stocks all you will need. We would recomend this site to those who enjoy long walks as we had a fantastic walk to Arnside which was very scenic.
The downside of the camp is the amount of toilets/showers for the size of the site, it was fine during the week, but weekend was hectic!
Nice site and would go again

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Karen J 26 reviews from this member

Went end of April. Fantastic location- truly unbeatable! Weather was amazing though which helped. Apparently it gets very busy and can be noisy (some noisy people when we were there but I slept right through!), slightly out of season is probably perfect. The area itself is brilliant- the views over the bay are stunning.
Toilet / shower facilities are fine- two showers but that's about average for this type of site. Silverdale has great pubs just a short walk away and dogs are allowed I think in the bar at the Silverdale Hotel.
Woodlands around are wonderful. I don't have any but would imagine kids would adore this site and mither to go back after any visit.
Don't tell too many people about this site- wouldn't want everyone to share it!

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Karen weekes 1 review from this member

I have been going camping at this site now for several years, and really enjoy it when we are there. I have recommended the site to lots of my friends who now go several times a year themselves. Its great for the children, we are made to feel very welcome by the steward and is very helpful.We have booked again for july which we are all looking forward to. We have always found the toilets and showers to be clean, the scenery is fantastic, close to local shops and friendly pub with good food and is well sign posted to get to the site.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jason heats 1 review from this member

I have been visiting Gibs for the last three years and I am going again next year. Reasons for this are:

1.chill backs and jokes with the gise
2.to live like a king
3.doing two
4.three way empties

less abstract reasons are:
1.the breathtaking scenery
2.the quaint village
3.the beach
4.the prices (very cheap)

However, I have noticed a rise in the campsite's popularity over the years, which has made it less personal. Also, the steward has become more sensitive to people breaking the rules, which are much more strict than they used to be, for example, the no ball games rule. The rise in popularity and the subsequent enforcement of new laws are in danger of spoiling a truly fantastic campsite, which I will always remember as the perfect destination for post-exam joys or woes.

Date of Visit: March 2007 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Brisk 3 reviews from this member

Good honest working farm site, generous fields facing west overlooking Morecambe Bay.
Great walks, especially north along the coast to Arnside.
You can get the train back or the Silverdale circular minibus so its a good area to forget driving and relax a bit.
Watch out for the slurry in the yard after walking back from the bizarre Woodlands hotel (real ales) up an old driveway!

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Munglie 5 reviews from this member

Just got back from Gibraltar Farm. We had a great weekend, although the heat wave that the rest of the country seemed to be having missed us out! The site is clean and well kept. The showers and toilet blocks are basic, with as I can remember four toilets, one disabled toilet and two showers. Not once over the weekend did I have to queue for the toilets but the showers were a different matter, there were quite long queues for these, and sometimes they would stop working altogether!
The showers were free and I found the whole block was kept clean , I would frequently pop in and it was just being or just had been mopped.

The pitches were fine, we had to clear a few sticks and sheep poo away before we set the tent up but they were ok, not completely flat as we realised each time we cooked and all the liquid in the pan tipped to one side! We didn't have EHU so I cannot comment on that and as far as I am aware the whole filed that we were on which consisted of tents and mobile homes, none had EHU.

All in all the site was good. We had a great weekend and would probably visit again, however it was noisy! We have three boys aged 8, 7 and 6, so we are used to the noise of children, but the first night (Good Friday) was extremely noisy with children running round our tent and people sitting outside, one group even having a sing-song with a guitar! The second and last night were better but people didn't seem to stick to the rule about music going off etc and there seemed to be nobody enforcing this rule.

There is no shop on site, but there is a co-op quite close by and Carnforth is about ten minutes in the car, where there is a Tesco.
There are some great walks around the fields surrounding the site, fab views over Morecambe Bay and loads of sheep and newborn lambs which was lovely to see.

There is a coffee shop and gallery right next door to the site, we didn't use it but it was always busy and it had a small outdoor play area for the children, this may come in handy as the site didn't have facilities for the children, however on Sunday evening the Easter Bunny did come round on a quad bike giving mini eggs out to the shildren and there was a small disco at 6 for the children.

So if you have kids and don't mind a bit of noise during the busy weekends then this site is great, the views are stunning, as is the sunset, the site is very exposed so be prepared for a bit of wind, but generally very good.

Previous     209 Reviews in total, now showing 141 to 150      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Lancashire   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth £49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans – plus 1000s of accessories ...more