Visitor Reviews - Eskdale Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Eskdale Campsite
Boot
Holmrook
Eskdale
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA19 1TH   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 019467 23253  or  019467 23270

1m  1m 5m  1m   1m  1m

Open: 01/03 To 14/01

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  200 in total, now showing 141 to 150                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: April 2009 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Johnnyfuggles 8 reviews from this member

I booked our pitch some way in advance of arrival and the lady on the phone, Sara, was very polite, helpful in answering any questions that I had and also spoke to us about the benefits of being a member of the c&cc.

The approach road to the site was no problem.

My first impression of the site as I drove in was that it looked smaller than I had imagined but very nice all the same.

At reception, we parked up and walked to the shop to check in.

Martin knew who we were immediately, checked us in, gave our instructions as to where everything was and showed us to our pitch, no problems at all.

Pitching was easy, level ground, easy pegging for the awning, 16amp ehu and best of all, the view from our camper, it was fantastic.

The shop on site operated good opening hours and sold most essentials, fresh meats and camping accessories.

Importantly, the showers etc. were spotless at all times. The ladies and gents shower block both had three shower units each, always hot and powerful and a number of wash basins and electric shaver points. They were also fitted with hair dryers for use free of charge.

There was an indoor and outdoor (under cover) pot wash area, again always clean and no end of hot water and never any queuing to use any of the facilities.

The children's play area consisted of a couple of swings near the camping pods and a trampoline (a huge hit with the kids) and small play area in the top corner of the camping area.

Kids of all ages just played together and got on really well, not one bit of bother with any of them.

The shop also had maps of walks within the area which where great and the scenery around, very picturesque.

The small village of Boot had a small shop and a great pub 'The Boot Inn', very child and dog friendly and great food (the Boot pie was delicious).

All in all a fantastic place, and would we go again? Try holding us back!

Date of Visit: April 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: John-c 2 reviews from this member

The site is very clean and the welcome was very friendly. The staff at the site were friendly, pleasant and helpful. There was an occasion when the shop was shut (it was after 6pm on the sunday) when the site warden was emptying bins, I had left something in the block and asked if it had been handed in, he did not hesitate to open the shop / office return said item and serve the kids that were wanting sweets.

The shower block and toilets were very clean and very well maintained by the staff.

My only thought is to the planners of the toilet and shower block missing the opportunity to make this site perfect would have been to increase the number of showers and toilets from three to maybe four or five. When we were there the site was down 20 pitches due to the weather and at busy times folk waiting were five and six deep.

We had a wonderful time, the pubs nearby were friendly with a good atmosphere and food choice was good. There were two pubs within 5 mins walk, a small shop for ice cream.There was something for everyone and I look forward to going back.

Date of Visit: June 2008 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Daz3223 7 reviews from this member

This a late review as I forgot to mention my favourite site so far. All previous reviewers have mentioned everything that is good about this site including the nearby pubs that allow dogs, the views, the brilliant walks, the new shower and toilet blocks, the staff, no mobile phone signal, no caravans. I could go on and on and without exaggeration.

I will absolutely be returning to this site as soon as possible and urge anyone interested in quiet and solitude and open country to do the same.

Oh and by the way if your not there in winter do drive over Hardknott Pass it's a right hoot.

Date of Visit: March 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Andie20521 2 reviews from this member

What can I say this has to be one of my favourite places in the world!

The views from the site are great, and there are lots of wonderful walks with stunning views that you can start directly from the site, even if like me you like to amble along, rather than a hard core hiker (Don't worry plenty more challenging routes nearby too if that's your bag!)

The shop is one of the best stocked I've seen, sells everything from fresh local produce (Try the sausages they are very yummy) to tent pegs and even EHUs. As it's quite remote they can order in the weekend papers for you too.

Shower block was immaculate, 4 cubicles, roasting hot water & free hair dryer.

A choice of washing up facilities- inside or out. We made good use of the inside ones as it was a little chilly in the evenings.

Boot, where it is situated, is picture postcard material, but has few facilities, but some good pubs within a few minutes walk of the site.

No mobile phone signal- but who says that's a downside???

I sneaked a peek at the camping pods, whilst they looked cosy, they are clustered like a little village, and personally I'd prefer a little more privacy, especially when there is some much space on the site.

This was our first visit, and I dare say it won't be our last!

Date of Visit: March 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Richs24 3 reviews from this member

We found this a wonderful site, very attractive, well maintained and good, clean showers and toilets.

The site does accept non members, which might worry some, but I would imagine that in the summer this site will be too full to have many.

There are 2 pubs very close to the campsite, and we fully enjoyed ourselves at both, so if you are there for a few nights make sure you try both of them!

If I was going to be critical, the only fault was my 9.30am shower, when I must have been the last person on the campsite to have one. A bit on the chilly side!

Would definitely visit again

Date of Visit: January 2009 Unit:  Other
Reviewer: Cooke1972 1 review from this member

We stayed in a camping pod - two adults and two children is just about do- able. We stayed just the one night to get away and had a great time. Took loads of blankets as well as sleeping bags but the blankets and quilts not really needed as the pods are plenty warm enough even at this time of year

Definitely go to the Boot inn - the food was first class and our kids we given games to play and taken into the kitchen to see what goes on! Excellent service and very very friendly.

All in all had a great time don't think could spend a full week in a pod but great to get away

Date of Visit: December 2008 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Taylpa 4 reviews from this member

Wonderful site. Martyn the manager was extremely helpful, facilities were first class. Eskdale is beautiful and overflowed with good walks. Boot has 2 very nice dog friendly pubs both serving good food & both a short walk away. The narrow guage railway to Ravenglass was worth a look, although Ravenglass has little to offer.

My only warning to Motorhomers is that this is a grass site and so be prepared to ask Martyn to tow you off with his 4x4, its worth checking ground condition with him before you go.

We will most definitely go again, maybe for next New Year.

Date of Visit: December 2008 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Judithandpeter 11 reviews from this member

We have just spent 6 fabulous days at this site, the weather was great very cold (minus 9.5 one night) but nothing could spoil this site, the wardens are very friendly and helpful.
Well stocked shop, drying room which luckily we did not use. The facilities are immaculate, showers are spot on hot and very clean, never had to wait and quite a few units on site as we were there for new years eve.
Which brings me to pubs, we had a brilliant new year at the Boot. The food and fireworks were fantastic and I can honestly say this was one of my best new years ever.

Walking from this site is excellent, you can do high or low level walks - all have beautiful views.

Date of Visit: October 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: SlugForAButt 1 review from this member

Beautiful is the only word to describe this site and all it's views. Great facilities including fantastic (warm) shower blocks that you don't want to leave, a drying room that is great for your boots or towels and a site shop that is fairly well stocked.

There are four pubs within a couple of miles walk, but my favourite surely has to be the Boot Inn. Just around the corner from the site (you'll need a torch at night) it's a friendly country pub with fair beer and a nice atmosphere. The landlord seems a nice guy (when he's not impersonating a werewolf, I hope that was just a halloween thing) and the food seems good although we only had a snack so I'm not really entitled judge.

The options around the site are stunning, you can take the eye opening drive to the top of the pass and walk the Rhinos pass, you can explore the Roman Fort near the top of HardKnott Pass or you can just take one of the many many public footpaths in this area. If you have boots and a will to explore. This is for you!

Date of Visit: November 2008 Unit:  Other
Reviewer: Johnnydiamond 1 review from this member

Just back from a weekend staying in a pod. What a fantastic experience. The weather was good yet extremely cold - minus 10 one morning - lots of frost and ice. The surroundings here are superb. On arrival we were given a gas heater and as much gas as we wanted as it was so cold- but we never used it because we has some good warm kit. The facilities are great. Indoor and outdoor washing up facility, drying room, the toilet/shower room was spotlessly clean. The shop is well stocked and clean-in keeping with everything else. The owners are very nice and welcoming. Had a look at the camping fields which are nice and flat(only one brave camper at this time of year)had a look round the camping barn which looks great too. There are two pubs within a short walking distance. Both serve food and the beer is excellent in both.Had a brilliant last night in the boot inn,had a lot of fun with the locals who are a great bunch. One thing is for sure- I'll be back either under canvas or in a pod will depend on the time of year-but hopefully it will be soon

Previous     200 Reviews in total, now showing 141 to 150      Next

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Pop up Utility tent

UKCS Meet NEC Caravan Camping & Motorhome Show 20 to 25 February 2018
UKs biggest showcase of caravans, motorhomes, tents snf camping equipment. We've got 20 Tickets to Give Away! ...more