Visitor Reviews - Gwithian Farm Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Site Reviews

Gwithian Farm Campsite
1 Churchtown Rd
Gwithian, Hayle
St Ives
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR27 5BX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m

Open: April To October

Reviews:  245 in total, now showing 151 to 160                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Shaadow005 9 reviews from this member

I worked as the maintenance man at Finlake leisure park when it was probably the biggest caravan and camping park in Devon, and I have camped/caravanned at all sorts of parks throughout the UK, and as a result I always said I would take all the good points from all of them and none of the bad points, and when I won the lottery would create a camping/caravanning site that people would find pretty well perfect.

Unfortunately Mike and Claire have beaten me to it!

The superb facilities that always seem to be spotless, the location just five minutes by car or 10 minutes walking to the beach, (and what a beach! superb sand and it goes all the way from Gwithian to the St Ives estuary, and dogs are welcome on parts of it), superb pub across the road, the constantly improving site, and a friendly welcome to rival any.

Hayle with excellent shops,pubs,pasty shop etc is only 10 mins by car.

I could go on and on about the excellent stays I have had here, both on the 'lads weekends' powerkiteing, and also with my Wife and two dogs.

But most of it has already been said, so all I can add is 'book it, try it, love it', I can guarantee you won't regret it!

If I can't get a pitch there in the future, I'll have to learn to keep these little treasures to myself!

Date of Visit: September 2008 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Johndavis 10 reviews from this member

Great site in a great location!

We arrived on the last busy Saturday of the summer and were given the last pitch which was plenty big enough for our Vango Orchy. We would have preferred to have not been facing onto the central play area but it was no big deal. We experienced a very stormy couple of days but the site remained relatively dry and mud-free. The owners are very friendly and attentive and run a well-kept site. Facilities are very clean with hot water in the showers, good washing up area and freezers for blocks. The small shop sold the basics only. Hayle is 10 minutes away with a good range of shops, including Co-op and St Ives just a bit further on with a large Tesco. There is a pub over the road from the entrance which is friendly and serves great beer.

The main selling point is, however, the site's proximity to the amazing coastline with miles of sandy beaches, dunes and fabulous views. The coast path is a leisurely 10 minute walk away reached via a footpath. There are several quite up-market cafe/bars within walking distance.

We've already booked a week in July when we're taking our son and his daughter for a week!

Date of Visit: September 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bandk 1 review from this member

Our first ever camping trip and our honeymoon. What can I say, we set of from Scunthorpe and drove for 8 hrs with a few breaks, as we got near we went over a brow of a hill and WOW what a view. We checked in and they were friendly, they gave us a map of the site and area, we pitched and went to the pub which was very nice.

The site was looked after and clean, as were the showers which also had a bathroom for families and lots of sinks to wash pots. It was only 2 mins to the pub and 5 mins to the beach which was clean and had a lifeguard and we walked for miles. Shops were only 2 mins away.

There seemed lots of attractions nearby but not a lot on site for kids but wasn't really looking and wish it was nearer home as will go again (not for honeymoon) hopefully.

As this was our first time camping we didn't know what to expect and nothing to compare it with.

Date of Visit: September 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Brok02 6 reviews from this member

Just returned from Gwithian Farm a lovely site, very welcoming, generous pitches, clean and spacious toilet block lots of hot water. Small shop on site with basic supplies information board with weather things to do etc. Pub across the road good food and dog friendly.

Supermarket / shops only 5 mins in car away in Hayle, and the best thing only 10min walk to the best beach all we needed was better weather, but in all one of the best sites we have stayed at highly recommended will return.

Reviewer: I need sun 11 reviews from this member

Can't really add much to previous posts but felt the need to say how much we loved this site. The atmosphere is relaxed but ordered & this is totally due to the owners who are ace.

I'll just add my local tips:

Gwithian beach is excellent - not crowded at all & the Sunset Surf cafe is worth visiting.

Walk along the cliff top around Godrevy to Hell's Mouth cafe - the cream teas looked lovely.

Visit Marazion & the island - the cream teas here were lovely!

Fish & chips in the 1st chippy you get to in Hayle from Gwithian - mmmm the gravy

Sorry Penzance but don't bother going there - the centre is a bit grotty (although there were nice parks just outside).

Definitely visit the Red River Inn (opp the camp site) - the best holiday pub I've been to.

Reviewer: Traciem 1 review from this member

Having returned last night from a 2 week stay at Gwithian, I can confirm I agree with most reviews of this wonderful site! Clair & Mike are the most accommodating, friendly, funny and helpful people you could ask to meet. On arrival at the site, they allowed us to pitch early, explained everything, gave us so much information on everything you could possibly wish to know. The weather for the past fortnight has been mixed but we braved the storms and the winds and now a day later I am home and on my 12th load of washing day dreaming of where I would prefer to be and the reality of work again tomorrow.
Gwithain Farm offers a central location to most areas of Cornwall, a short drive to St.Ives and such like, the beaches are outstanding and fantastic for body boarding, the visiting food vans and location of a nice friendly pub opposite makes the whole thing more inviting! Whilst on holiday we looked around at other local sites and found absolutely nothing compared! So much so that whilst we were there we rebooked for 2009 and Clair honoured us with this years prices! The shower blocks are huge, spacious cubicles and in 14 days not once did I have anything less than hot running water!Even a bath and family room too!

We spent our holiday with 2 sets of friends all located by Clair on adjacent pitches and all of us have rebooked for next year. I cannot compliment this site enough and would highly recommend a visit by anyone who wants a nice relaxed holiday in this area of Cornwall. Keep up the good work Clair and Mike and your hard working crew, you are doing a fantastic job and before I forget the Cream Teas were to die for. See you next year. Unless I can get back sooner of course. Tracie & The gang!

Reviewer: Big Yin 1 review from this member

Just home from a two week break at one of the best sites we have been too (if only the weather had been kinder). The shower block is superb, cleaned regularly but on the down side the lack of water pressure at peak times made showering difficult. The rest of the site is very well laid out with a central area for games on the top field.

The beach is only a short 10 minute walk away (downhill there - but uphill on the way back and after spending hours on the beach seems longer!).

The owners could not do enough for you any information you needed was readily given. There are also three freezers available for you to freeze ice packs plus there was another freezer with some ice packs that you borrow for the day free of charge. A great idea was the notice board with information on regarding weather, surf and local attractions which was updated daily plus in the window of the shop was a 5 day local weather forecast which helped to plan our time. There is plenty to do and see in the surrounding area.

We loved our time so much we have already booked to return next year.

Date of Visit: July 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: JulesE 2 reviews from this member

Just returned from a great week at Gwithian Farm. It was a last minute booking and so pleased we made a great choice. Weather was super, that naturally helped but from arrival Clair and her husband were very helpful and friendly. Campsite: Excellent. Facilities: Superb - ample toilets, showers all spotless. Great family bathroom allowing us to get clean with the boys rather than cramming into a cubicle [although cubicles at this site are fab - really large!}

On site shop: well stocked and all you need in an emergency but lots of useful stuff like beach equipment, maps and general great advice. Grounds & Pitch - spacious and superbly manicured. General child safety: Good, there is good space away from internal roads which proved a good choice for us.

We would highly recommend and most definitely plan to visit again. A top notch site!

Date of Visit: June 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Country Girl 21 reviews from this member

OK I give in.

We had 10 days here of changeable weather and have been back home for about 3 weeks. The problem is I keep going off in daydreams about the area - it's really got under my skin.

There are several campsites along the road between Hayle and Gwithian but they are well screened and I would imagine they cater for all tastes. If you like doing beach stuff and like a well run, spacious, laid back site with no club / amusements then this site could well be for you.

It's as though Claire visited other sites and took away the good ideas and incorporated them in her own place, there are lots of thoughtful touches which make for a great holiday. They've done a good job here and are really helpful and friendly. When you book in she bombards you with local info, places to visit and eat etc.

The beaches are truly fantastic and we walked the dogs along them at 6 in the morning and 10 at night - there was just usually us and a few hardy surf dudes around, this is the bit I'm really missing!

The area isn't commercialised which is what we liked and it was really dog friendly. The other surprising bit is that my daughter who needs a gluten free diet was well catered for in the various pubs / cafes we visited.

If you like car boots there's a great one behind the M&S food place on Sundays.

Not a cheap campsite but well worth it.

Date of Visit: July 2008 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: HIER 3 reviews from this member

My husband, my 7 year old son and myself have just returned from a week at this campsite and will definitely be returning asap!

On arrival we checked in and were shown a map of the site which gave all info of pitches, showers etc. On site there is a small shop selling daily newspapers with basic groceries and gifts all reasonably priced. Nearby there is a Lidl and Co-op supermarket. You can also hire wetsuits from on site shop. They also have in the window the daily and 7 day forecasts for you to keep check of. There are a few goats and guinea pigs to see and a table tennis table for the kids also an enclosed gas bbq section with picnic benches to hire. The pitches are well spaced out so although the site was full you dont feel on top of each other. There are also some scattered lattice fences around the site with plants and shrubs surrounded which just adds to a bit of privacy.

Showers are free and very clean especially as the site was full, only had to queue the once which was between 6-7pm and my only grumble would be, is that when everyone was in the showers at this time the water pressure wasnt particularly good. Family shower room available with 2 showers sink and toilet. Also a separate room with a bath in which is great for little ones.

On sunday evenings a chip van comes to site and cooks to order. 2 days a week there is a lady who sells her own made jewellery which was beautiful. Tuesday evening is fresh fish for sale and Wednesday evening it is homemade curries for sale which smelt delicious! There is also an ice-cream van which comes around every night. So mums you can take a night off from cooking! Opposite the site is a pub which we didnt try but serves breakfasts and evening meals also the farmhouse sells cornish cream teas in the afternoon but with the weather so warm we didnt get back from the beach in time to sample these.

We had a fabulous time and the site is ideally placed to get around and about. Will definitely be going back.

Previous     245 Reviews in total, now showing 151 to 160      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (West)   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more