Visitor Reviews - Sandwich Leisure Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > Kent > Site Reviews

Sandwich Leisure Park
Woodnesborough Rd
Sandwich
Kent   (Browse area)
CT13 0AA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  10m  10m  1m  5m   5m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale  Glamping

Reviews:  123 in total, now showing 97 to 102                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!
£100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win £100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Kaztiv 1 review from this member

We went over the bank holiday weekend and it was very busy. The park felt very crowded and our pitch was not very big, although they have their own tap and hook up. We have a large tent (Kyham Rigipod) and there was not room for all three bedroom pods. We were also on a corner plot directly opposite the washing up facilities which are out-side. People started washing up from 6am on all three mornings - which is not a great wake up call ! There is a playground for the children but this is fairly small and I felt sorry for those pitched around it. They advertise no bikes but all the children were riding bikes. The shower and toilet facilities were clean and spacious, although over the weekend they did run out of both hot and cold water. I would return but definitely to a larger and quieter pitch and not at a busy time.

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Peter bell 3 reviews from this member

I stayed here for 4 nights and I have mixed feelings about the place, I arrived at 2pm at reception, there was a note on the door "working on site ring Jim and a phone number", not quite the welcome I was hoping for, I rang Jim to be told he would be there in 5 Min's, when he arrived no welcome, I just seamed to be an inconvenience to him, he took my reg of the car but the security barrier would only read my car coming in and not going out so more phone calls to Jim to let me out, he said the tree was blocking the camera but he never cut it back while I was there.

I would have preferred the grass on my site not to have been cut as I spent time every day sweeping out masses of wet grass from inside the tent and the inside of my car. It is a pretty little site and the loos are very impressive and clean, but on all the occasions I visited them the hot water was luck warm not hot enough for a shower and the same in the washing up area.

There was a lot of building work going on while I was there put in new bases for caravans which got started at around 8am with a lot of noise. I am an early riser so it did not bother me, but if you like a lay in not good news. I work on a holiday park and all our building work takes place in the winter months !

The pitches are a very good size with nice planting and a picnic table which was a nice touch, I was on pitch 48 which is close to the railway line and there is a lot of train noise.

Friday night was the worse night when the week-end. Campers arrived with loads of kids riding around the site on bikes shouting there heads off until late in the evening.

There is a very good supermarket close to the park, all in all not bad

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bickmos 1 review from this member

This was my first visit to Sandwich Leisure Park. On arrival on Friday evening my first impression was that the site looked very clean and the reception building as attractive as the website photograph. The reception staff were very pleasant and we were booked in with no fuss. The security measures for cars entering and leaving the site were very impressive. The pitch was ample for our 6m X 7m tent and the two cars that brought our party of 4 adults, 4 children and a dog. The site was serviced with electric hook up and its own water supply and the ground was nice and flat for the erection of out tent. The toilet block was particularly impressive being in very good condition, warm and kept very clean. The showers were all working with a good pressure of hot water.
The first evening of the three that we booked we decided to find a take away in the town as it was quite late by the time we finished erecting the tent. The town is very close and has a supermarket, Pubs, fish and chip shop and a pizza and kebab shop. During the day there are many little shops in the many streets of the town. The staff in the shops I found to be very friendly and helpful.
The playground kept the children amused as well as the games that we could play on the large area of grass opposite our tent pitch. At night the site is well lit as each electric hook up point has a light on it.
I would certainly recommend this site to other users and will definitely return.

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Jondy 2 reviews from this member

Liked this site last year.  All OK , last year but they would not take telephone bookings then.  This year there are new owners (very friendly) and they do take telephone bookings.    Much upgrading has been going on including excellent security.   Lots more trees being planted and many bird boxes set in the trees all David Bellamy inspired stuff and all the better for it.  The pitches (lots of them with electric, water and drainage and a light are great) are sectioned off into 2 unit bays with planting around them. Shiny clean loos but shower head could not be adjusted downwards enough I thought. Wife said hers was OK, might be me?
This site is just a stroll from historic Sandwich. Plenty of old pubs and eating places even an old fashioned cinema.  A lovely walk if you turn right and follow the riverside walk along the former old town walls to the river Stour and harbourside etc.  Turn left over railway crossing to a good superstore, the town also has lots of shops.
This is amongst my personal favourites now.

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Quechua 1 review from this member

Stayed here for 5 nights in total over the Easter bank holiday '07. (though originally planned & paid for 6 nights). As this was our 1st camping experience we did not have much expectation except to have the basic amenities at hand. I have a mixed review of this campsite but overall I would rate it as okay. Firstly, Sandwich town itself is beautiful and has definitely added to our experience. Its nicely located so within easy driving distance to Margate, Dover, & Deal. Local co-op, pubs and shop are within walking distance. (no shop on-site)

Okay, so here are the pro's and con's of the camp site.

CON'S
Our first morning the shower's did NOT work. Water trickled out (if you were lucky) but in my case I hardly had any!. Half naked with a toddler in tow I had to gather all my belongings and run in and out of 7 shower cubicles before accepting defeat and resorted to rinsing the shampoo off my hair by pressing my head against the tiled wall under the shower to catch water trickling down! Toddler did not have a shower that morning as the water was scorching hot for him to wash in.

Every pitch has electrical hook-up. On our very first night we experienced problems with this. We had prepared for the cold nights, and had brought with us our portable heater. With everyone else on the campsite trying to keep warm the electrics kept tripping. We didn't have electric the 1st night, and exactly the same happened the 2nd night. Complained to owners that our electrical hook-up point was faulty, he came to test it and said it was our hook-up cable that was faulty not their electrical points. We decided to hook up on another empty pitch as our cable was long enough and not to our surprise it worked! So on our 3rd night there on, we were able to sleep more comfortably in the warmth. During our stay I saw no evidence of them fixing our electrical hook-up point, so it would not surprise me if the next campers experience some sort of problems.

If you are hoping for a tranquil & quiet campsite then I do not think this would suit you. I can only base my opinion on our experience and in terms of quiet & relaxing, it did not meet our expectations. You will hear trains passing by as the campsite is located next to a train line, at night you will notice this along with faint road traffic noise and aircrafts above. The only pleasant noise "pollution" that didnt bother me was the church bells that sound 24hrs of the day at every hour. However, we soon got use to this and hardly noticed it after a while.

As our stay was before, during and after the busy bank holiday period we were able to experience the campsite when it was busy and quiet. I was very disappointed and let down with the owners because after the "busy" Easter long weekend rush was over diggers & other JCB machinery arrived where they started building work on the campsite. Obviously the noise of digging, drilling was not acceptable so this really spoilt it for us. We were not warned before hand that building work was going to take place. It wasn't pleasant because it was in view in front and behind our tent and the noise was constant. After this we decided to cut our stay short by 1 night as we were ready to go home.

PRO's (yes there are some good points)

Shower block kept clean (though do expect to see grass on floor of showers, etc). They have a family section where the whole family can be together (note: bigger cubicles but still only 1 shower in each)

Adequate washing up facilities

I think there was a laundry facility on site but we did not use this.

Nice playground for the kids.

Owners were helpful despite our electrical problems and even agreed to charge our light in their office so we could use it at night.

Pitch was grassy and fairly level.

Did not feel overlooked or over crowded, spacing of pitches were acceptable.

Other things to take note of:

Dogs are allowed on this camp site so be aware. We did not allow our young toddler to roam too far as our fellow campers had very territorial dogs and barked at anything and anyone that walked by. They were on leads but none the less this was intimidating for my children.

Use  of footballs & bikes were allowed on this site which were in our favour as our kids were kept entertained. Though this may not suit some.

Overall our stay was enjoyable as we made the most of our situation. We ventured out on our bikes to Sandwich Bay and other towns which we found easily accessible from this site.

Would we come back here? Probably, but not anytime soon as we'd definitely like to see other places and experience other beautiful towns that England has to offer.

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Russinkent 3 reviews from this member

I have been to this site a great number of times and this time I was very disappointed. The site looked like it was half finished and part of the shower block was closed early evening.
There is a plus side the site is clean and tidy and there's plenty of room for your units On our stay there must have been a problem with the electric because every night apart from one the site lost power.

Previous     123 Reviews in total, now showing 97 to 102      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Kent   -   Search for a site

Win a KAMEI Husky L Roof Box worth £225! Win a Coolbox Cool ‘n’ Store Package worth over £235!

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 1 - 2 July