Visitor Reviews - Cofton Country Holidays

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Cofton Country Holidays
Starcross
Dawlish
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
EX6 8RP   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0800 0858649  or  01626 890111

5m  5m  5m  5m  1m   10m  1m  5m

Open: All Year Round

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  189 in total, now showing 171 to 180                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19

Reviewer: IAN2112 1 review from this member

August 2005
What a great site ! everything was impressive .Firstly they were able to accomodate us at short notice in the busy period of early august.On arrival after booking in we were escorted to our pitch,good large pitches are in all areas of the campsite and our pitch gave us beautiful views of surrounding countryside.The overall cleanliness was excellant and the grass was well kept,other plus points were a well stocked shop,great pub and great pool to cool off when the sun shone.Also try the fish&chips at the takeaway, TASTE SENSATION !!!

Reviewer: Jafa 3 reviews from this member

June 2005
We had superb weather so I suppose that added a gloss to this site, but I am very impressed. It was also before peak season so it was quite quiet, although at the weekend when more people were there it was still very pleasant.

The pitches were of a good size and not too cramped. Plenty of fields for us to choose from, although in peak season you are escorted to your pitch so there's no option to choose.

The grounds were immaculate, grass kept well cut and the borders full of flowers. Before cleaning early in the morning the toilets may have been a bit dirty, but once the cleaner had been around they were spotless.

Plenty of showers, never had to wait. In peak season I imagine you'd have to wait to use the dishwashing sinks.

Plenty of hot water - in fact it was too hot!!

Pool area was lovely. Shop stocked lots of useful supplies, from beach things, camping/caravan items, food, etc and the prices were reasonable - in fact the beach items were cheaper than at the beach.

The site covers a large area and there are walks in the woodland towards Easton House that overlooks the estuary/Exmouth and Dawlish Warren.

Children are catered for with a games room and outdoor play equipment.

There is so much to do in this area that I hope to return and this site will be my first choice.

I suppose I have to mention one thing that annoyed us, but it is nothing to do with the site......the seagulls creating so much noise at 4 am!!!

Reviewer: Homefromhome 1 review from this member

May 2005
here goes...excellent site for us. Not too hi de hi. If you want that, try dawlish warren sites. Went Bank Holiday, so it was busy, but we got there early so pitched in main site, not overflow. (looks like overflow field may be getting a new toilet block, not before time by the sound of it). We had the small toilet block which did get busy, but showers were hot and free so can't really complain for a BH weekend(TIP, the middle of the three showers is the best). The new shower block looked a lot better if your on the slope. Onsite shop was more than adequate, selling all you need plus fresh baked onsite bread and croissants. Great out doors swimming pool, although it was cold (1st day open when we visited). not that i went in brrrrr. Nice patio bar area plus some kids evening entertainment and the obligatory lolly and sweet prizes, plus a family room and bar. Food was adequate but if you fancy something other than pies chips and steaks, try a walk to the anchor pub(via the church rd). Food looks lovely but it was so busy we couldn't get in. Also Powderham Castle has a terrific food store (lots of local meats, fruit, veg and jams etc...ideal for a bit of alfresco dining on site). It also hosts jousting 6 days a week which includes a fair bit of audience participation for about 14 coins of the realm for a family of 4 or 14 quid to you and me. Down with that dastardly black knight. And somebody put that jester out of his misery. Meanwhile...
Onsite fishing lakes are great, not that much was being caught when i fished. I lost 4 big carp... honest. but a 26lb carp was caught the day I fished, by a 14 year old. I saw the picture pinned up in the bar, although i think it was 46lb by the end of the evening and it was this big <----O----->
Plenty of other things to do and see. Decent sized pitch and putt locally. If you've got kids and fancy a bit of shopping, try trego mills near newton abbot. Its a massive shop(s)/warehouse selling everything under one roof in mainly one shop.(includes plenty of tatt and quite a few bargains, a Johny junks paradise), but the unexpected bonus was that there is a mini adventure park there which the kids loved and was good value. (£4.99 gives them 7 rides - go carts, bumper boats, dodgems etc.. plus unlimited slides, plus if you go on some rides in twos you only get charged for one). An unexpectedly good time was had by all.
... all in all a great few days, although this was helped by the good weather. If you want loud music and late nights then go to brean. We will be returning soon.

Reviewer: Gimmeegrace 1 review from this member

May 2005
Just got back from bank holiday weekend at Cofton. As other reviewers have said, one of the best sites we have stayed on. However, next time I would choose a pitch near the main ameneties block - orchard style - rather than the larger fields. We chose the 10 acre because it felt more spacious, but were really badly disturbed by noisy neighbours who didn't want to stop their party at 1.30am. Compained to management the next day who did speak to neighbours, but the neighbours were still noisy til well after midnight the following two nights (I bought earplugs!) This was probably just bad luck, the rest of the site seemed very quiet.

Excellent campsite shop not only selling good variety of food and drink, but amazing array of toys, novelties, books and camping equipment. Dad, make sure your wallet's full!

Best aspect of site: fishing lakes and delightful country church and churchyard.

Had a brilliant carvery meal with locally sourced produce at the Smugglers Inn on the road between Dawlish and Teignmouth. Best service I have ever had in a pub restaurant, and delicious (not adventurous) pub food, including good real food for children!(No turkey dinasaurs!) Very family friendly, small garden although no play area. Very good value.

Reviewer: SammyJaneR 12 reviews from this member

March 2005
We stayed at this site during the Easter holidays. It was our maiden voyage in our new VW camper (Upgrading from tents) and this site was excellent. We had a hardstanding pitch next to the fishing lakes and enjoyed watching the ducks and geese from our van. The facilities are excellent and the site is within walking/cycling distance of Dawlish. We will definitely stay here again.

Reviewer: Paul9959 2 reviews from this member

July 2004
We went last summer, just before the peak season kicked off, and had a very pleasant week there. We stayed near the fishing lakes and had most of it to ourselves! When we came to leave on the Saturday, vans were queueing up down the lane - and it was only 7am. So I can see how it might get a bit packed peak season.

That said, it's beautifully maintained, and the pool area is superb - hard to think of any site we've been on with a better outdoor pool complex.

The bar was fine, fairly small though, so I imagine it's bad when the site is full of people and screaming kids. There's a good patio area between the bar and pool which is a pleasant spot to sit out at night.

Fishing is a real draw here, and there's plenty on offer for seasoned anglers and the holiday novice.

Out and about, the site is a car's drive to the nearest beaches, but the nearest beach is at Dawlish Warren, which is not the most pleasant place - a tacky mix of massive holiday camps, theme pubs, chip shops and amusement arcades. Best avoided, and this being south Devon, there is plenty on offer without having to drive for miles.

The countryside round Cofton is lovely, and if you go outside the school holidays, you will have a great time here for sure.

Reviewer: Shugbish 3 reviews from this member

August 2004
Was impressed on the whole with this site. My Husband & I had pre-booked a pitch for our tent, and the check-in was quick and efficent. Although there were only 3 showers (free) in our block, alongside 3 washing cubicles they were kept clean throughout the day and at no point did I have to queue or take a cold shower, which often happens on sites where the showers are free. The washing-up facilities were excellent & also kept clean.
The site was very busy with lots of dogs and children, because of this I was expecting it to be quite noisy at night, but was very impressed that I was not disturbed by crying kids or barking dogs once.
Although we did not eat in the pub, the food looked ok but we thought a little too expensive. We did try the chip-shop once who offered a wide range of take-away food, and made a good curry sauce.
Good base to explore South Devon or even Dorset (Lyme Regis is only 25 miles away) Beware if you like to watch the telly at all though, this site is at the bottom of a valley and TV reception is not good, even with a booster box, but then you can always listen to the weather report on the radio.
I would reccomend this site to both couples and family's. Oh yeah, it had a large out-door swimming pool (with life-guard) which was very popular with the kids on site.

Reviewer: Flojosar 3 reviews from this member

July 2004
Excelent pool, excellent shop, excellent pub on site, also great looking site, now that I have got that out of the way, the down side... We were put in the overflow field, which was well out of the way of all the amenities it was a good 5-10 walk to the toilet block which I think is unacceptable as we paid the same as everyone else, there was no water stand in the overflow field either, so carrying a water bowser from the main field was no joke.
Our friends were put on the normal tent field which was great, nice flat pitch on cascading levels so noise was not a problem. if you go to this site using a tent I would insist on being in the tent field, if they dont have the space then do not go, find somewhere else. do not go into the overflow field... come on Cofton country holidays if you are going to use the overflow field then put a shower/toilet block in there, or at least water facilities.

Reviewer: QuietPlease 6 reviews from this member

August 2004
Arriving after the compulsory 40-minute delay to get past that stupid building in Starcross (why don't they just demolish that portico?!) the site made a very favourable impression - which I'm glad to say lasted. The site is regularly cleaned and while the outfields make do with (good) portakabins for showers they make up for that with extra space. However, in peak season don't expect too much privacy - rather a lot of kids haring about across folks' pitches for my liking. The pool is excellent and open until 7 pm. You can walk to Cockwood and a couple of very nice pubs with lovely views, along lanes with virtually no traffic.
Top tips: try a steak at the Swan on site - surprisingly ecxellent; take the ferry from Starcross to Exmouth (tidy and devoid of any seaside seediness). On the way back, admire the unusual tower building where you dock in Starcross. Apparently it is the last remaining pumping house from Brunel's Atmospheric Railway.

Reviewer: jomitchell 1 review from this member

August 2003
Brilliant, The outdoor pools are really good, the staff were very friendly, the childrens entertainment was rather amusing but this is in a positive way, they also had singers on, who were of a good standard.

I really did enjoy my stay, the only problem I had was I had my dog with me & there was myself, my mom & my 3 yr old son, My mom couldnt join in with us in the pool as there are Zero facilities for the dog, as in to tie her up on a post ! That is my only gripe.

Previous     189 Reviews in total, now showing 171 to 180      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers