Visitor Reviews - Gibraltar Farm Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lancashire > Site Reviews

Gibraltar Farm Camp Site
Gibraltar Farm
Jenny Browns Point
Silverdale
Lancashire   (Browse area)
LA50UA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m 1m  1m  1m   1m  1m

Open: All Year

Reviews:  206 in total, now showing 181 to 190                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
Win 100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Reviewer: In-a-field 4 reviews from this member

July 2005
Visited this site for the weekend. The steward was friendly, facilities are basic but clean. I think that the site would benefit from a few extra washing-up sinks.
The surroundings of this site are excellent, lovely area and nice walks. Our kids enjoyed the site, there is no play area just a rope swing but they loved it.
However I don't think that we will be visiting this site again due to the noise level and inconsiderate campers.
Unfortunately some campers had loud music on and let their children kick balls onto tents!

Reviewer: I LOVE GIBS! 1 review from this member

July 2005
I have been to Gibraltar Farm twice before and I am going again in July with my fellow jasons. Two years ago, my friends and I were looking for a place to relax and relieve ourselves of the pressures of exams and revision. Many campsites we found on the internet were either too expensive or too preoccupied with fancy facilities or a safe environment. We wanted something simple and as natural as possible. It was sheer luck that we found Gibraltar Farm, as it fulfilled all our expectations of visiting a worry-free zone with the joy of having nothing to do. (And only 7 a tent)Top.

The site is a 1/2 mile away from the local village. This is a great distance, not too close, perfect for soaking in the country atmosphere. The local shops have everything a camper needs, bread, meat, barbecues (Moc's an' that)yet still keeps it simple.

The surrounding beach (Morecambe Bay) is admittedly not to some people's tastes, this is probably because of the quicksand and bad press involving Chinese cockle pickers. But the natural landscape is literally breathtaking, the sunset complements the "big" sky. Also, I found it quite exciting to toy with death by risking the tide and purposefully but playfully sinking in the quicksand.

However, this danger is not something you should naturally attach to the site, it was my personal stupidity and idiocy which led me to the quicksand. The beach is actually detached from the quicksand and you have to travel a long way out before you are in any form of danger. The initial beach is in the form of pebbles and dry sand, there are rocks along the coastline and it is the perfect setting for a contemplation of life or something of that ilk. (NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT DANGER)You must remember I was looking for danger in this trip as it played a big part in my initiation into manhood. It is actually easily avoidable.

Overall, I suggest a visit to Gibraltar Farm for persons of any age. Whatever your outlook on life, Gibraltar Farm will cater for it.
Top.

Reviewer: GavinBeevers 1 review from this member

June 2005
Years ago I have camped in the Silverdale area but never before at Gibraltar farm. In terms of location it surpassed my expectations, the views over Morecambe Bay from anywhere on the site are excellent and within minutes you can be taking a stroll through woodland, be sitting in a pub beer garden, or be scrambling on the beach. The site itself is also in the main a relaxing experience, staff are friendly and laid back and everyone just gets on with having a good time. U

nfortuntely this parucular weekend there was no warden on duty and there was some noise into the early morning (3am). Dispite the 'No Fires' signs there were quite a few groups enjoying a night round a fire so I guess the BBQ / Fire distinction is quite wooly, which I quite liked.

As has been said before there is just the one toilet block, but judging by the standard of the Male toilets I would say that they have been recently refurbished and are of a good standard.

There is definatley a feel about this site which makes it different from others, its sort of a cross between a standard family site and a Scout/Cub camp. I would glady stay here again.

Reviewer: Norah 2 reviews from this member

June 2005
Lovely campsite, peaceful setting, great walks, fantasic scenery.
Camped here with family for 3 nights trailer tent and caravan.
The children loved it, exploring woods and coastline, playing on rope swings.
Very good and friendly steward. Recommended for a relaxing campsite.

Reviewer: SIMONENEIL 1 review from this member

April 2005
Came here for the May Day Bank holiday, lovely site with amazing views over Morecambe Bay. Its a pretty basic site, just toilets and a couple of showers. The kids really enjoyed it but a play area for them would have been useful. Shame about the weather, RAIN AGAIN. We are coming here for the meet in September so lets hope we have kinder weather.

Rating:
Reviewer: Smile2day 2 reviews from this member

March 2005
We have stayed on this site often over the 17 years that we have been camping, a beautiful site surrounded by woodland. The only amenities available are a shower block that is kept clean and tidy. The disabled shower and toilet is in the ladies half of the shower block, and there is only one shower available in the ladies. This can cause quite a rush in the morning as you can imagine as the one block is for the use of both the caravan field and the tent field.

There are no shops on site though the warden does sell ice-cream and sweets from his awning. He is very helpful if you have a problem. The caravan field still gets very boggy when its been raining, and last summer driving at times was impossible, though there is plenty of help when you do get stuck!!

The walks around the site are very good and for varying abilities, I recommend a trip to the 'Giants Chair', you turn right out of the main gate to the farm. There are 2 pubs in the village, a newsagents and a couple of shops, the Coop have offers on sometimes. The nearest chippy is in Arnside, but it's not open on Mondays.

Once you visit this site though it gets into your blood - I'd recommend it to every one, just a shame they have increased the prices.

Reviewer: Whipper12 1 review from this member

April 2005
Plenty to do around and abouts,facilities average maybe a shortage of showers. Some very nice views and nice short walks. Steward very helpful. Only one fault site was very noisy till 3:30 Fri night and gone 1:00 Sat night. Two very good pubs with big beer gardens only 15 mins walk down the road.

Reviewer: Little*star 1 review from this member

May 2004
We have come here for years, since 1997!
The facilities are good, but could do with a good old tidy up. There are showers, but (in the ladies at any rate) you have to pay. Anyway, you go, flush the loo, business done. It's got lovely access to Morcambe Bay which does involve a short muddy walk- I ruined a pair of beige combats there!
This used to be one of the best kept secrets in the UK camping world (when it was a working farm), but, in our eyes, it is now a lot noisier than before. On our last visit, there was even a disco, which proved a shock to us! Anyhow, they weren't hugely noisy after 1AM.
If you're a drinker, the Silverdale Hotel may be of interest to you. We meet friends there and always spend a few hours there. There is very little car parking but I wouldn't recommend driving while under the influence!
Make sure you bring torches as there are no street lights - just adds to the feel of the countryside! Speaking of countrysides, there is a very prominent smell of cow dung around the entrance. Nervous stomachs beware!
It is a few miles to the town centre of Silverdale and only a couple to the beach.
This is a favourite site, which we'll be visiting for years to come!

Reviewer: Pg111 4 reviews from this member

August 2004
Visited this site on yet another social night organised. Loads dressed up in 70's gear, it had been advertised on site but I hadn't seen it as we would of done fancy dress. Brill night sat round fire. Following weekend they were doing Olympics for the adults and kids. but we couldnt make it as bank hol. What a fabulous place overlooking a bay with added extras of organised events by on site wardens. Well worth a visit, you will be hooked - I am.

Reviewer: Strong Arms 2 reviews from this member

July 2004
We have been camping for 20 years plus!and this is an absolutely brilliant campsite. It is the most relaxing holiday we have had in a very long time. The ideal place to unwind. (We did not want to leave!) There is plenty of open space for the children, safe and secure, and fabulous views over the bay.

100% credit to the wardens. They are very well organised and make everyone feel welcome.

Everyone on the campsite was very friendly. We were also there for the line dancing night, which was great fun. We also joined in the games night and won the Strong Arm competition!! much to our son's delight.

A campsite right in the heart of a working farm.

The only problem is that we live too far away from this site to visit more often. BUT, we promise we will be back.

Previous     206 Reviews in total, now showing 181 to 190      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Lancashire   -   Search for a site

Win an OLPRO Knightwick 3 Tent Win tickets to the NEC Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show

UKCS Meet NEC Caravan Camping & Motorhome Show - 21st to 26th February
Hundreds of caravans, motorhomes, tents, holiday lodges and 1000's of accessories all under one roof! ...more