Visitor Reviews - Cofton Country Holidays

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Cofton Country Holidays
Starcross
Dawlish
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
EX6 8RP   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0800 0858649  or  01626 890111

5m  5m  5m  5m  1m   10m  1m  5m

Open: All Year Round

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  195 in total, now showing 181 to 190                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Reviewer: SammyJaneR 12 reviews from this member

March 2005
We stayed at this site during the Easter holidays. It was our maiden voyage in our new VW camper (Upgrading from tents) and this site was excellent. We had a hardstanding pitch next to the fishing lakes and enjoyed watching the ducks and geese from our van. The facilities are excellent and the site is within walking/cycling distance of Dawlish. We will definitely stay here again.

Reviewer: Paul9959 2 reviews from this member

July 2004
We went last summer, just before the peak season kicked off, and had a very pleasant week there. We stayed near the fishing lakes and had most of it to ourselves! When we came to leave on the Saturday, vans were queueing up down the lane - and it was only 7am. So I can see how it might get a bit packed peak season.

That said, it's beautifully maintained, and the pool area is superb - hard to think of any site we've been on with a better outdoor pool complex.

The bar was fine, fairly small though, so I imagine it's bad when the site is full of people and screaming kids. There's a good patio area between the bar and pool which is a pleasant spot to sit out at night.

Fishing is a real draw here, and there's plenty on offer for seasoned anglers and the holiday novice.

Out and about, the site is a car's drive to the nearest beaches, but the nearest beach is at Dawlish Warren, which is not the most pleasant place - a tacky mix of massive holiday camps, theme pubs, chip shops and amusement arcades. Best avoided, and this being south Devon, there is plenty on offer without having to drive for miles.

The countryside round Cofton is lovely, and if you go outside the school holidays, you will have a great time here for sure.

Reviewer: Shugbish 3 reviews from this member

August 2004
Was impressed on the whole with this site. My Husband & I had pre-booked a pitch for our tent, and the check-in was quick and efficent. Although there were only 3 showers (free) in our block, alongside 3 washing cubicles they were kept clean throughout the day and at no point did I have to queue or take a cold shower, which often happens on sites where the showers are free. The washing-up facilities were excellent & also kept clean.
The site was very busy with lots of dogs and children, because of this I was expecting it to be quite noisy at night, but was very impressed that I was not disturbed by crying kids or barking dogs once.
Although we did not eat in the pub, the food looked ok but we thought a little too expensive. We did try the chip-shop once who offered a wide range of take-away food, and made a good curry sauce.
Good base to explore South Devon or even Dorset (Lyme Regis is only 25 miles away) Beware if you like to watch the telly at all though, this site is at the bottom of a valley and TV reception is not good, even with a booster box, but then you can always listen to the weather report on the radio.
I would reccomend this site to both couples and family's. Oh yeah, it had a large out-door swimming pool (with life-guard) which was very popular with the kids on site.

Reviewer: Flojosar 3 reviews from this member

July 2004
Excelent pool, excellent shop, excellent pub on site, also great looking site, now that I have got that out of the way, the down side... We were put in the overflow field, which was well out of the way of all the amenities it was a good 5-10 walk to the toilet block which I think is unacceptable as we paid the same as everyone else, there was no water stand in the overflow field either, so carrying a water bowser from the main field was no joke.
Our friends were put on the normal tent field which was great, nice flat pitch on cascading levels so noise was not a problem. if you go to this site using a tent I would insist on being in the tent field, if they dont have the space then do not go, find somewhere else. do not go into the overflow field... come on Cofton country holidays if you are going to use the overflow field then put a shower/toilet block in there, or at least water facilities.

Reviewer: QuietPlease 6 reviews from this member

August 2004
Arriving after the compulsory 40-minute delay to get past that stupid building in Starcross (why don't they just demolish that portico?!) the site made a very favourable impression - which I'm glad to say lasted. The site is regularly cleaned and while the outfields make do with (good) portakabins for showers they make up for that with extra space. However, in peak season don't expect too much privacy - rather a lot of kids haring about across folks' pitches for my liking. The pool is excellent and open until 7 pm. You can walk to Cockwood and a couple of very nice pubs with lovely views, along lanes with virtually no traffic.
Top tips: try a steak at the Swan on site - surprisingly ecxellent; take the ferry from Starcross to Exmouth (tidy and devoid of any seaside seediness). On the way back, admire the unusual tower building where you dock in Starcross. Apparently it is the last remaining pumping house from Brunel's Atmospheric Railway.

Reviewer: jomitchell 1 review from this member

August 2003
Brilliant, The outdoor pools are really good, the staff were very friendly, the childrens entertainment was rather amusing but this is in a positive way, they also had singers on, who were of a good standard.

I really did enjoy my stay, the only problem I had was I had my dog with me & there was myself, my mom & my 3 yr old son, My mom couldnt join in with us in the pool as there are Zero facilities for the dog, as in to tie her up on a post ! That is my only gripe.

Reviewer: Emma G 2 reviews from this member

11th July - 17th July 2004
What a breath of fresh air this campsite is!!!

As soon as we arrived this site gave a great impression. It is set off the main road and has masses of land, (fantastic if you've got two boisterous dalmatians!!) The staff in the reception are very helpful and the site looks fantastic. The showers and the grounds are immaculately kept with maintenance happening every day. The staff in the bar were very pleasant and helpful and the family bar is kept smoke free. A relief, as some of the campsites we have visited before have been awful.

The shop is well stocked but if you want to eat out I would recommend The Anchor in Cockwood. Had a fantastic meal here, the fish was delicious - really fresh. For the kids I would recommend the River Dart Adventure Park as a great day out.

However, if you are looking forward to a peaceful time do not go when the schools are on holiday, the popularity of this site showed on the Saturday after the schools broke up as the site was already mobbed!!

Would highly recommend this site as I had a fantastic time and would definitely go back. (Out of peak season!)

Reviewer: pobrey 2 reviews from this member

August 2003
Stayed Thursday to Thursday over Bank Holiday weeknd. Very impressed with the site. Friendly and accommodating staff. Will definitely go again, although at a quieter time.

Good pool, and good fishing (our first time!). Very very busy, and facilities struggled to cope with this -more shower blocks needed, and the club got crowded in the evening. This was ok for us because we have a shower in the caravan, and don't really use the clubs. When we did use the showers (in the new blocks) we found them to be very large, convenient, and hot!

Found the best pub in the area on the last day -The Atmospheric Railway Inn, in Starcross. Great food, and both indoor and outdoor family areas out the back.

Staff were helpful when some fools let their dog mess outside our pitch.

Reviewer: Claire Bennett 1 review from this member

August 2003
Just got back and really enjoyed it. First time camping for longer than a weekend.

Need to update/increase the shower/toilets in 10 acre field but they were cleaned 3 times a day.

Shop - good, Food - Good, Swimming Pool - good, Staff - very friendly.

Will definately go again.

Reviewer: Ren 1 review from this member

9th - 16th August 2003
Set out at midnight on Friday night and got stuck for over an hour on the M4 at Slough. Arrived on site at about 8 o/c and a very helpful chap took our details and we were shown to our pitches as we had booked two next to each other for caravan and tent, was impressed with check in because reception didn't open til 9 o/c.

We had a lovely position in Coombelands with great views and very handy for all facilities. The pool area was very nice with a play area beside it which the kids loved. There's an army style assault course in the woods aswell.

Toilet and shower blocks were kept clean which is a thankless task given the state that some fellow campers left them in !! Did not find a problem with waiting for showers as we were up before 8 o/c every morning. The shop was well stocked and all of the site staff were brilliant. Don't bother taking ice packs as you cannot freeze your own, they are available from the shop for 3 deposit and 25p each time you get one.

We had food from the take away several times and it was very good, the snacks from the Swan were very nice and the service was very quick, there is also a Chinese take away beside the turn off to Dawlish Warren and the food was lovely.

Dawlish Warren was a nice seaside area and Kents Cavern is worth a visit.

Dawlish Carnival was on and we were treated to a good air display over the beach with a fine performance from the Reds.

There's a few pubs in Dawlish that show the footie on Sky for those interested.

We had an excellent week and the site was great, we were very impressed and will definately return.

Previous     195 Reviews in total, now showing 181 to 190      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win a KAMEI Husky L Roof Box Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally and Camping Weekend 4th to 5th July
HURRY Advanced booking now open - 3 nights camping in any unit, and admission to rally all weekend