Visitor Reviews - Eskdale Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Eskdale Campsite
Boot
Holmrook
Eskdale
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA19 1TH   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 019467 23253  or  019467 23270

1m  1m 5m  1m   1m  1m

Open: 01/03 To 14/01

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  200 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gillymarg 2 reviews from this member

I booked 4 nights at this site after reading reviews on this website and in 'Pitch up and eat local'. I can only endorse all the positive comments about the excellence of the staff, facilities and location. As an older, female, lone camper I felt safe and well looked after. I had a great time on a site which was having to cope with some very wet weather and I am pleased to say that there was some glorious sun too! It is worth noting that it took me longer than I expected to reach the site from the M6 junction 36. The local pubs are well worth visiting and I agree that a trip on the train is a must.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: LakesAdam 3 reviews from this member

Stunning location and beautiful site with immaculate facilities. Showers are free with high pressure and plenty hot water. It's a relativity small site, but still family friendly with a kids play area. For the adults, there are three pubs within a short walk, The Brookside, The Boot & The Woolpack, all offer fantastic sles and good food. There are also plenty of walks from the site, some flat, some hilly SSSI lots of variety. WiFi is available on site too and in all the pubs. We love it here and have returned many times.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Davehornby1 1 review from this member

During our recent short stay at Eskdale Campsite we stayed in one of their camping pods. Ours was clean and tidy, had a good signal for the WiFi (small fee applies). It was nice and quiet, yet close to all the facilities.

Just a word of warning - there's no phone signal in the valley!

The shop was well stocked, with reasonable prices. The toilets and showers were spotlessly clean. The showers had a generous changing area in each cubicle and good, hot water!

I found the staff very pleasant and very helpful with a few of the little things that that we forgot!

Within walking distance are three pubs that do food, we visited The Boot Inn. The food was of a good quality, with good sized portions, and we got 10% off our food bill.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: John Hines 1 review from this member

Well, what a perfect site, perfect location, very well stocked on site shop, clean and tidy shower blocks etc and brilliant hosts in Martyn and Sara. Will definitely be back.

Three public houses within walking distance, all serving food and real ale. Well mapped out walks from the site, would recommend the river walk. Stunning.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Dubdogs 113 reviews from this member

Originally booked in to Eskdale for 3 nights over their Dubfest weekend, but ended up staying for 5. The Dubfest was very busy, but we still felt we had space around us and it was never really noisy. It was good to see all the VWs around. On the Sunday night the site cleared out and probably left around 5 units which is how it stayed until we left.

The location of the site is excellent with brilliant walking direct from the site, three pubs (The Brookhouse Inn was our favourite for food, not the cheapest but you get what you pay for!), the railway was a 5 minute stroll for a nice trip down the valley.

The facilities on site were always clean, the grass was well kept and the shop was stocked well enough that you didn't have to travel to buy food to cook in the van.

All-in-all, this easily enters my top three favourite sites visited and I look forward to returning.

Date of Visit: November 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Sceptical Camper 38 reviews from this member

(For my full review of Eskdale C&CC site please scroll back to September 2013)

I have camped at Eskdale C&CC site before and, like other club sites, it is very well run and maintained.

The warden lives on site and I found Martyn and his team very welcoming and helpful. The site has a friendly and cosy atmosphere.

As on my previous visit, I found the facilities block well-equipped and with enough cubicles, showers and handbasins. I liked the large shower cubicles with stools and clothes hooks and there was plenty of hot water during my visit. The laundry room with washing machine and tumble drier is handy too. Everything was spotlessly clean.

For this brief visit in wet and cold November weather I opted to hire one of the site's camping pods. This was my first experience of camping in a pod.

At Eskdale, the pods are in a little copse and arranged in several clusters. I had to park my car some way away which was not an issue because I travel light but it would be tedious lugging things back and forth if you had a lot of stuff with you.

The pods are built of local timber and - appropriately to the Lake District - insulated with sheep's wool. Each pod sleeps three people and there is good headroom. You need to take your usual camping mat, mattress or air bed.

The wooden floor is covered by hard matting and there is a battery LED light which was fairly dim. A small gas heater is provided though I did not use it. Double doors give access from the outside wood decking area. Dogs are allowed in the pods.

Pods are hailed as an alternative to a tent when the weather is bad and I appreciated how windproof and rainproof the pod was. Camping in a pod is convenient and doubtless has a quirky appeal for some people but the pod failed to win me over - I much prefer camping under canvas. The pods are not a cheap option either.

Although I wouldn't choose to camp in a pod again I will definitely revisit Eskdale C&CC site. It is maintained to a high standard and I recommended it.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Bambi13 16 reviews from this member

A lovely site clean, tidy and very friendly.

When we arrived we had not booked up front but had come from another one that we did not feel was us. We were booked in and on site with no fuss.

There is a shop on site that has most things you need. Also WiFi slow but it does work. Public houses near by that do lovely meals.

The only thing I can say about this site is that it is one of the best we have been on. Showers etc brilliant. Children areas looked good.

Views wonderful and plenty of walks and a steam train near by.

When we were on site there was a problem with a group of people that was delt with by the owner. This proves that the site stands up to it's rules. Very good, so many don't.

Would I go back most certainly.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Tlck9 32 reviews from this member

Typical club site facilities. Clean, warm showers and pleasant washing up and wash hand basin facilities.

Pitches were not marked out and we needed quite a long lead for EHU. Water facilities were by the site reception & not close by. Not a problem for us.

The site had many small groups which obviously suited the lack of marked pitches. But very little noise after 11pm.

We were not able to get phone signal or tv. The site provided wifi for 2 per night which we could sometimes get.

Location - bang smack in beyween 3 pubs, didn't try them but they seemed popular with other campsite people.

The road through the site was used by children playing on scooters. Which had it been height of summer could gave been annoying but the odd one up & down wasn't a problem. We did ask to be pitched away from the main family area as we don't have children.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dk168 21 reviews from this member

A very friendly camp site with helpful owner-warden and staff.

Not a big site, and it does not cater for caravans due to narrow roads in the surrounding areas.

It is a good base for those who like to walk, and the camp site has produced its own guide with a few walks starting from the site itself.

The site is next to a small village called Boot where there are 2 pubs that appear to be popular with walkers and those who stayed at the camp site.

The site does not have much facilities for children except for a set of swings. However, the children on site while I was there managed to find ways to entertain themselves, especially the stream that runs through the site.

The shop on site is well-stocked with essentials and reasonably priced.

Facilities were very clean, as one would expect from a C&CC club site. The only niggle, and it is a very tiny niggle, is that the site only has one set of drinking water taps by the facilities block. It would have been nicer to have a few more dotted around the site.

Showers being non push-button type which is a rarity for a C&CC club site.

There was no mobile phone reception on site for Orange, and I believe it was poor to non-existence for other networks. There is a payphone on site in the Dishwasher/Information room. There is no Site WiFi (i.e. C&CC WiFi cards will not work), however, it has its own WiFi installed that costs 2.00 GBP per visit (bargain IMHO especially when there is no mobile coverage).

There is a waterfall close to the site and it can be quite distracting for some.

I pitched near the entrance by the road. Although not a busy road as such, the noise from cars/farm machinery can still be distracting for some.

The site used to be part of a farm, and there are livestocks grazing in the nearby fields, therefore, one should expect some noise from the animals.

One will be well-advised to follow the site's guide on how to reach the site using main roads in order to avoid the Hardknott Pass, as it is definitely not for the faint-hearted (I tried to cross it in my car and had to turn back).

All in all, a very nice site, and I shall definitely return in future.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kpcamper 3 reviews from this member

Very hard to add much to the existing reviews except to affirm them. The site was relatively quiet as the English school holidays had not started and we camped Sunday to Friday. We were sited on the field that the road to reception goes through - with our back to the little stream running through the site. We had EHU and were offered a choice of sites - close to facilities or a little bit away, morning sun or evening sun. Pitch seemed flat although we realised there was a very slight slope in the bedroom. Had difficulty getting some pegs in (should have dug out the rock pegs). The facilities were spotless and there was plenty of information available including printed up to date weather forecasts for the hillwalkers. There was a free hairdryer in the ladies. Although we had no children with us we could see some having a great time on the trampoline on site. There are three good pubs within walking distance and great breakfasts at the Eskdale station cafe. We had very nice sandwiches made on request at the post office. Although I'm not a hillwalker we did manage some Wainwrights which can be done on circular walks directly from the site. My OH hates camping but agreed we will be back (he thinks he's going to get me up Scafell Pike).

Previous     200 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20      Next

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Pop up Utility tent

UKCS Meet NEC Caravan Camping & Motorhome Show 20 to 25 February 2018
UKs biggest showcase of caravans, motorhomes, tents snf camping equipment. We've got 20 Tickets to Give Away! ...more