Visitor Reviews - Port Ban Holiday Park

Port Ban Holiday Park
Kilberry
Tarbert
Argyll   (Browse area)
PA29 6YD   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m

Open: April To October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  33 in total, now showing 7 to 12                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kazloo 12 reviews from this member

Reviewing this site for the second time. Once again we love the site but the toilets and showers are poor. We were there for 3 days and the toilets were not cleaned once. This was proven by the soiled toilet paper which remained on the floor throughout our visit.

Great site, great location but fails on creature comforts. Nice walking in a lovely area. Be prepared for the single track 14 mile drive however deer and seal can be viewed in the wild during this.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: SusanMcT 12 reviews from this member

We've just returned from our second holiday at Portban. We had pre booked our pitch (pitch number 18) which had an electric hook up and brilliant views across to the the Isle of Jura. We were pleased to see that the pitches are now clearly marked out (we paid extra for a 'large' pitch as our tent is pretty big). Really glad we had booked as it was torrential rain on leaving home and we almost changed our mind about going at all. SO glad we went though.

The campsite itself is pretty basic but the views are to die for. The toilet block is basic and only cleaned once a day. It was very quiet when we were there, (only 3-4 tents) probably because the weather was putting people off. However we were lucky and only had one day of showers.

Most nights we had a fire on the beach (there was even a pile of wood provided this time). Shop has the basics, but no alcohol so bring your own.

The site is a Christian site however there is no pressure to join in. They have recently begun to do curry nights on a Saturday. We missed this but I heard it had been good food.

We had a nice day out to Tarbert, nice fish and chips at the harbour. Highly recommend the site if you want peace and quiet in stunning scenery. In fact I am almost reluctant to post such a glowing review as this site is such a wee gem!

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Trailio 1 review from this member

Just back from a very enjoyable 2 nights at Port Ban. To be honest it was our 3rd choice site after finding out the others were fully booked but it was a blessing in disguise at this site was perfect.

There is a small toilet block with free showers in the camping field it was clean and adequate for our requirements. Further into the caravan site there was also a bigger toilet/shower with laundry block but we never needed to use it.

When we booked we were warned the site would be very busy and not to expect a peaceful weekend but in our opinion the site was not overbooked and where we were pitched we didn't hear much from the other campers. As we have young children we settled down quite early in the evening and were never disturbed once by other campers. There was a group of teenagers directly next to us and although we feared the worse but they never bothered us once. They had a campfire on the beach at night and we could hear someone distantly playing the guitar but it was actually very pleasant and did not disturb us at all

The tent area is at the end of a dirt path and almost separate from the static caravans. The site is flat and ran right onto a sandy beach with rocks at either side. The kids loved playing on the beach and exploring the the rocks and rock pools left when the tide went out. There is also a play park area with football pitch in the caravan area which the kids also loved playing on.

As we were only there for a short time we didn't leave the site once so can't comment on the surrounding area. There is a small shop on site which caters for essentials such as bread, milk etc. It's worth pointing out that the nearest supermarket quite a long drive away but fortunately we brought all the supplies we needed for 2 nights.

All in all the site was everything we needed and more and would recommend it particularly for families. We will definitely be back.

P.S. The only reason I have not given 10/10 for child friendliness is because of the rocks at the beach, we couldn't have left our kids unsupervised for obvious reasons (our youngest is 3 years old) but other than that it was perfect

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Misschickabee 2 reviews from this member

We stayed at this site for 6 nights, following a 5 night stay at Muasdale (separate review). We were a bit worried about getting to the site with our tourer due it being on a narrow single track road, however there are plenty of passing places and the road is very quiet. It is set in a beautiful beachfront location, with mostly static vans and a beachfront spot for tourers. We only saw one other tourer arrive whilst we were here, but there were lots of motor homes coming and going and moving around, often quite late at night.

One of the electric points wasn't working, leaving only the hookups on ours operational. This also meant the motor homes arriving were trying to shoe horn themselves in and around where we were (the 6 meter rule between units was non existent!). We also felt there wasn't much of a welcome to the site, in comparison to other places we have stayed. For instance the reception seemed confused at our arrival, even though we had the booking sheet, and there was no one there to show us to our pitch. I think this is probably more common at caravan club sites and less so at holiday parks where the focus tends to be on the static vans.

The shop stocks some essential items, but watch out for surpassed expiry dates. One thing I am going to rave about is their new Chef, who cooked some of exceptional food; the fish cakes were easily the nicest I have ever tasted! I didn't expect to find this at the site and it definitely encouraged us to eat there (coffee was also good).

I liked the TV lounge, which had a good stock of some Disney classics and the fact that they were all videos gave it a nice 'back to basics' feel. The whole place could use some serious decluttering and the games room has become neglected over the years. The outside facilities (tennis court, pitch and put, bowling) were all in good condition and the children's play park was exceptional.

You are able to give a donation and hire a kayak, although the rules surrounding this were a bit unclear to us. The site owner shouted at me whilst out on the water 'did you ask permission to use it?' which I found very humiliating! I had to shout back and tell him we were given permission yesterday and he replied, 'yes yesterday, not today. '. I just found it quite demeaning, like my integrity was being questioned, and I sheepishly had to paddle back to shore. I was even more annoyed when a man in a neighbouring van was told he could just take the equipment for the week. I ended up sitting from my van watching him out on the water and feeling rather bitter about the whole thing. I just think they could do with tightening up on the rules so people know where they stand, as I would never have gone out had I thought I wasn't supposed to.

The shower block was ideal, good strong showers and nice big sinks (and a baby change). I'm not sure if it had been recently refurbished, but I really liked the combination of old and new. The laundry was well used by us, but I thought 3 per wash was a bit pricey, although the machines do hold a lot.

There is a nice walk along the shore that takes you into Crear estate, and there are plenty of dog bins to save you carrying your bag home with you. Our fellow campers were all very nice and our little girl often had other children to play with. I felt comfortable letting her out to play on her own whilst watching from a distance (she is just about to turn 3). Had she been older and perhaps going off by herself I would have spoken to the site employee (possibly the manager) who failed to observe the site speed limit of 10mph when driving around in his 4x4, as I would have been concerned for her safety.

I would like to finish on a positive note as all in all this is a lovely site with glorious sea views and lots of activities to keep you busy. The food and coffee puts it higher on my list of visited destinations, and I hope they capitalise on this as I think it could really put the site on the map!

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ecotom 1 review from this member

Nice flat, friendly camp site with views of Jura to the west. Quiet when we were there. Facilities fine, good for two young kids with football area, play area, fire on beach etc. Nice coffee n cake. Shop has most things. Would recommend it as we had a nice few days here. Half hour drive to Lochgilphead for swimming pool was pretty, though the town itself is less so.

There are lots of static caravans on site, and it doesn't look tent friendly at first as it slopes towards the see. However, the camp site is fine. The local pub is more of a restaurant than a pie n chips place - looks nice, but with mains from 16 perhaps not for us and the kids.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Al-Ky-Co 2 reviews from this member

I have just returned from a 5 night stay at this site and we loved it. It is literally in the middle of nowhere and its approx 12miles to the nearest shop, but this can be forgiven because of the tranquil setting and the lovely shower blocks (the water is hot and they are clean enough) The porta showers/loos on the camping field are dirty but there are others just 600m away which as I said are lovely. LOVED it! Very old and in need of updating, I have a 5 year old who didn't use any of the kids facilities but he loved throwing his ball about on the field, skimming stones into the sound, paddling and camp fires on the beach. One highlight was that the site held a campfire on the beach and provided dough for baking bread on the fire which was absolutely delicious and marshmellows at no extra cost.

I need to mention that this is a Christian site and there are services held here but no one tried to get us to join in and it wasn't in your face.

All in all Utterly gorgeous!

Previous     33 Reviews in total, now showing 7 to 12      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a BUZZ RACK Buffalo 4 Bike Tilting Carrier Win a HandiMoova Off-road Foldable Hand Trolley

UKCS Meet Benington Chilli Festival, Hertfordshire 29 31st August
Celebrate all things chilli in the hidden gem of a garden at historic Benington Lordship.