Visitor Reviews - Port Ban Holiday Park

Port Ban Holiday Park
Kilberry
Tarbert
Argyll   (Browse area)
PA29 6YD   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m

Open: April To October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  30 in total, now showing 7 to 12                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Misschickabee 2 reviews from this member

We stayed at this site for 6 nights, following a 5 night stay at Muasdale (separate review). We were a bit worried about getting to the site with our tourer due it being on a narrow single track road, however there are plenty of passing places and the road is very quiet. It is set in a beautiful beachfront location, with mostly static vans and a beachfront spot for tourers. We only saw one other tourer arrive whilst we were here, but there were lots of motor homes coming and going and moving around, often quite late at night.

One of the electric points wasn't working, leaving only the hookups on ours operational. This also meant the motor homes arriving were trying to shoe horn themselves in and around where we were (the 6 meter rule between units was non existent!). We also felt there wasn't much of a welcome to the site, in comparison to other places we have stayed. For instance the reception seemed confused at our arrival, even though we had the booking sheet, and there was no one there to show us to our pitch. I think this is probably more common at caravan club sites and less so at holiday parks where the focus tends to be on the static vans.

The shop stocks some essential items, but watch out for surpassed expiry dates. One thing I am going to rave about is their new Chef, who cooked some of exceptional food; the fish cakes were easily the nicest I have ever tasted! I didn't expect to find this at the site and it definitely encouraged us to eat there (coffee was also good).

I liked the TV lounge, which had a good stock of some Disney classics and the fact that they were all videos gave it a nice 'back to basics' feel. The whole place could use some serious decluttering and the games room has become neglected over the years. The outside facilities (tennis court, pitch and put, bowling) were all in good condition and the children's play park was exceptional.

You are able to give a donation and hire a kayak, although the rules surrounding this were a bit unclear to us. The site owner shouted at me whilst out on the water 'did you ask permission to use it?' which I found very humiliating! I had to shout back and tell him we were given permission yesterday and he replied, 'yes yesterday, not today. '. I just found it quite demeaning, like my integrity was being questioned, and I sheepishly had to paddle back to shore. I was even more annoyed when a man in a neighbouring van was told he could just take the equipment for the week. I ended up sitting from my van watching him out on the water and feeling rather bitter about the whole thing. I just think they could do with tightening up on the rules so people know where they stand, as I would never have gone out had I thought I wasn't supposed to.

The shower block was ideal, good strong showers and nice big sinks (and a baby change). I'm not sure if it had been recently refurbished, but I really liked the combination of old and new. The laundry was well used by us, but I thought 3 per wash was a bit pricey, although the machines do hold a lot.

There is a nice walk along the shore that takes you into Crear estate, and there are plenty of dog bins to save you carrying your bag home with you. Our fellow campers were all very nice and our little girl often had other children to play with. I felt comfortable letting her out to play on her own whilst watching from a distance (she is just about to turn 3). Had she been older and perhaps going off by herself I would have spoken to the site employee (possibly the manager) who failed to observe the site speed limit of 10mph when driving around in his 4x4, as I would have been concerned for her safety.

I would like to finish on a positive note as all in all this is a lovely site with glorious sea views and lots of activities to keep you busy. The food and coffee puts it higher on my list of visited destinations, and I hope they capitalise on this as I think it could really put the site on the map!

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ecotom 1 review from this member

Nice flat, friendly camp site with views of Jura to the west. Quiet when we were there. Facilities fine, good for two young kids with football area, play area, fire on beach etc. Nice coffee n cake. Shop has most things. Would recommend it as we had a nice few days here. Half hour drive to Lochgilphead for swimming pool was pretty, though the town itself is less so.

There are lots of static caravans on site, and it doesn't look tent friendly at first as it slopes towards the see. However, the camp site is fine. The local pub is more of a restaurant than a pie n chips place - looks nice, but with mains from 16 perhaps not for us and the kids.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Al-Ky-Co 2 reviews from this member

I have just returned from a 5 night stay at this site and we loved it. It is literally in the middle of nowhere and its approx 12miles to the nearest shop, but this can be forgiven because of the tranquil setting and the lovely shower blocks (the water is hot and they are clean enough) The porta showers/loos on the camping field are dirty but there are others just 600m away which as I said are lovely. LOVED it! Very old and in need of updating, I have a 5 year old who didn't use any of the kids facilities but he loved throwing his ball about on the field, skimming stones into the sound, paddling and camp fires on the beach. One highlight was that the site held a campfire on the beach and provided dough for baking bread on the fire which was absolutely delicious and marshmellows at no extra cost.

I need to mention that this is a Christian site and there are services held here but no one tried to get us to join in and it wasn't in your face.

All in all Utterly gorgeous!

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kazloo 12 reviews from this member

Have visited this site for the last three years and love it due to the location and the fact that we meet up with a lot of friends who own or rent static vans.

We have been twice in our tent and this year in our newly purchased touring van.

I cannot agree with other reviews as the toilets both at camping and main site are at best rubbish. Water was scolding and drainage pipe in shower is to narrow as within a minute you are up to your shins in waste water.

Main toilet block is a bad diy job and potaloo in camping area a joke considering price. That said will be back as lovely location.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mummymax 2 reviews from this member

Site situated in beautiful location on the beach. Good play area for kids including games room(requires updating), tennis court(needs attention) & putting for kids. Facilities in main caravan park very good, however as we had pitched in the tour area, the showers block was not very clean, and no facility to wash dishes ( good 10 mins walk to main dish washing area). Would strongly advise to be well stocked with food and drink, as nearest shop is 14.5 miles ( camp does have own shop, but not well stocked with food &drink), All in all we had a good time, but the web page looks better than the actual site.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Baldylum 1 review from this member

We found that site to be very special and tranquil. The four touring spaces are right on the beach and the views of Jura and Islay are outstanding.

We found the facilities to be very clean and modern. The owners are very helpful and polite and they pretty much leave you to do your own thing.

I would suggest that if you are coming to the site to ensure that you have everything you need as the nearest shop is in Tarbert (13 miles away).

It was great to see families, parents, kids and grannies alike out playing on the football fields and putting greens etc. Very family friendly. We will be back

Previous     30 Reviews in total, now showing 7 to 12      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Coleman Event Shelter from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!