Visitor Reviews - Glencoe Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Glencoe Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Glencoe
Ballachulish
Argyll   (Browse area)
PH49 4LA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Open: 01 Apr 2014 - 27 Oct 2014

Reviews:  30 in total, now showing 7 to 12                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dk168 19 reviews from this member

Stayed for a week at Glencoe to escape the Olympics, and had a great time, despite some dreadful weather.

I read the reviews about the grass pitches could be a bit boggy when wet, and requested for a not so boggy pitch in advance, my car not being a 4x4 and could not cope with wet and soggy grass.

Also, I read about not being able to park the car close to the pitch, and decided to ring the site to enquire as I have a trailer with me. I was re-assured by a nice lady that I should be able to park my car close to my EHU pitch on the gravelled section.

When I arrived, the helpful warden forewarned me about the pitches being boggy due to the recent rains, and kindly took me to inspect my pitch so that I could decide whether to stay there or not.

The pitch I was allocated was recently vacated, and was fairly solid, and indeed, I was able to park very close to my pitch. Hence I decided to stay.

Good job I did, as I had a great time. The views around the site were stunning, in the rain as well as in the sun.

I guess the weather must have put people off, as the site was quite quiet.

The areas for tents with no EHU were on a slight slope, and it makes sense not to allow cars onto the grass as it turned very soggy and slippery after a night of rain.

The site was closed to tents due to soggy pitches, however, those with small tents were able to pitch on the grass section of hard-standing pitches where it was less boggy.

The area surrounding the site was stunning, truly a feast for the eyes. Plenty of good walks, and definitely great for sight-seeing by car.

The shop on site stocks the basic and essential items.

There is a well-stocked local shop in Glencoe Village just a couple of miles on foot, with a path to the village directly from the site itself.

Glencoe Lochan is only a short walk away from the village, and it has some nice walks in the forest and around the loch itself.

The old slate quarry at Ballachulish is worth a visit. It also has a small yet well-stocked supermarket that opens until 22:00h during weekdays.

The site has no playing area for children. However, the younger ones did not appear to be short of things to do, even when the weather was bad.

The facilities are excellent as per usual for C&CC club sites.

One can visit the adjacent Glencoe Visitors Centre for free by staying at the site.

Lastly, the site has excellent mobile internet coverage for the 3 network, which was a bonus for me.

All in all, a lovely site, in a truly stunning location. Just need to choose your pitch with care and be prepared for bad weather.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Smirky 2 reviews from this member

Arrived at the site for a weekend break after driving through some of the most beautiful scenery in Scotland. Welcome from the Wardens was warm and friendly.

I got one of the hard standing pitches which was level and not too far from the toilet block. View from the pitch was spectacular.

Toilet block was clean and the water in the showers was hot. One thing to watch is that the showers are on a timer which is quite short but not a big issue as you can just keep pressing it.

One of the main reasons for going here is the walking. There are spectacular walks in all directions and the Wardens run a useful scheme where you can leave a note of where you are going and when you intend to be back just in case of emergencies.

No playground or any facilities for kids, but there seemed to be mostly couples and very young families that were there.

Overall a lovely site and one that Iíll be back to when I can.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Waterman 12 reviews from this member

Site - All hardstandings in long blocks with no division between. Mainly flat with slight slope on some. Mainly open with trees around edge. Manual lifting barrier. Washroom right at one end of site. Easy to find, just follow Glencoe visitor centre signs and there you are. Wonderful site, stunning drive to get there, and beautiful surroundings. I wasn't sure about this site as everyone says how good it is for walkers, but it is just as good for those who only stroll.

Wifi available in the Ballachullish visitor centre cafe, £1 for 30 mins on their computer or free on yours.

Dog Walk - Excellent, just thro' gate at bottom of site and straight into forest, 2 mile path to Glencoe village, passes site of one of the massacres. Also colour coded paths around visitor centre. April is an excellent time to go lots of wild primroses and no midges.

Wardens very nice and friendly.

Washroom - Coded entry, plenty of showers/loos and wash cubicles. Showers a decent size with drop down seat, push button with a fixed but moveable head, Always spotless.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: FB99 6 reviews from this member

Overall an excellent site and up to the usual CCC standards. The site is well managed with a good presence of site staff who were not afraid to enforce the site rules.

Toilet / shower blocks were immaculately clean and no queueing despite it being high season. Excellent views from all pitches. Well stocked on site shop - fresh rolls for breakfast available.

Two slight issues were the noise from the road (it might be worth requesting a pitch on the far side of the 'mound') and the water in the washing up area was luke warm at best, despite their being hot water in toilet / shower block.

The facilities were away from the main area of the site and most pitches had a fair walk to the facilities.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Karenmcmillan 8 reviews from this member

Nice quiet site. Immaculate facilities and owners helpful. Ideal for a stop over as we were on way north. Only draw back is there is no where for the kids to play.

After 3/4 hours in the car, my lot found it difficult as there was no where to let off steam and no ball games. Would go back but definitely for couples.

great location and nice walks round about. The other bug was closing the toilets between 10. 30 and noon --all of them- bar the one disabled toilet. Could they have staggered this? it was quiet when we were there but don't know how that would work in high season. We had to queue as it was.

These 2 things made it a bit too regimented for our liking but a nice site nonetheless, just not for us

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Bruno123 1 review from this member

Its a long time since we used a camping and caravan club site. We had been thinking of joining but this experience changed our mind.

We have a campervan - we do not need electric, but we had to pay for it anyway

We really wanted to be on grass to use our awning but vans are only allowed on hard standing.

The gates get closed at 11pm - effectively locking us out if we had been for a meal. As we are in a campervan, its our only transport and our sleeping accommodation

Despite the fact we are not members all of our details are now on their database - we had stayed at another site a few weeks before and they called up our info on their computer.

Nice views from the site - too far from shops and pubs to walk.

Previous     30 Review in total, now showing 7 to 12      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth £467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!