Visitor Reviews - Bank House Farm

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Peak District & Derbyshire > Site Reviews

Bank House Farm

Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports <10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport On Site

Reviews:  117 in total, now showing 7 to 12                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: KayakJon 2 reviews from this member

Booked in for a few days with some friends. Received 2 phone calls from the owner threatening to cancel my booking, because we added a few more friends to our original list. Some of my friends arrived before myself and they were told not to walk on the grass. They were also told that they had to park exactly in the middle of their pitches. The facilities were basic and could do with being renewed / upgraded. Nothing like a relaxing holiday. However the warden, Jeff, was excellent. He's a top man.

The scenery was lovely and there was plenty of room on the site for many more friends, should they wished to join us.

With the constant rain, my Conway Clipper stood up fantastically to the elements. Glad I fitted electric and a heater. Was a bit chilly.

I guess you could say, that's the Peak District box ticked.

Reviewer: R0450111 3 reviews from this member

Spent an idyllic five days at this site. Second visit and so worth it! Wardens were lovely and quick to respond to any queries. Showers were immaculate each time we used them. Saw plenty of little jobs being done to keep the site tidy and in good repair. The pub across the road served some stunning steaks and is well worth a visit although booking a table is recommended! A genuinely lovely campsite all though got a little crowded due to some very soggy pitches!

Reviewer: Kebabster 1 review from this member

I've recently stayed here on two separate occasions and have pitched my tent on the top field. The views are amazing from here and if you don't mind a bit of a walk (slight hill) to the toilets/showers/washing up station then the panorama makes up for it. However, It was quite windy on our first stay (two nights) and there was a quite a bit of traffic noise.

The weather was amazing on our second stay (one night) and we had the sun long after the pitches at the bottom were in the shade. I love the large top field as it is less regimented (no EHU or water tap though) and you can pitch where you like. Being able to have camp fires is a real plus too.

The wardens are helpful and friendly and replied promptly to emails.

I would be hesitant to stay at the bottom pitches by the driveway as the pitches seem quite close together and there is a big skip at the entrance.

The facilities, although clean, are a little basic and the toilet/shower block could do with an upgrade. I don't expect a 5* bathroom but there aren't enough hooks or shelves to comfortably keep things dry and the space is cramped. Thought it was really good that the showers are free and there are electric points if you want to use a hairdryer.

The Manifold Inn opposite is very handy. It was so nice after pitching a tent quite late on a Friday evening to be able to skip over the road and have a great meal (they allow dogs in the conservatory if you are eating).

As much as I love the site I would be reluctant to stay again just because of the traffic noise but I wonder if it is worse in the top field. Also the site is in the middle of agricultural land and there are a lot of tractors/farm vehicles coming and going which were noisy early in the morning.

Reviewer: Kittyboochris 4 reviews from this member

Stayed on the meadow field August bank holiday weekend. Lovely site, friendly and welcoming wardens and we really appreciated the fact they don't take the opportunity to cram as many people in as they could on bank holidays (there was certainly the demand).

There was plenty of room in the meadow field and it was really refreshing to have the freedom to pitch where we wanted and for it not to be overcrowded. It was also nice and peaceful, no loud campers and it's great to be able to have a camp fire.

The main site (where the facilities are) has marked pitches which looked rather small and appeared cramped - I wouldn't want to stay there, despite the ease of access to the facilities.

Minor inconvenience was that the facilities were a 5 minute walk away from the meadow field (but we were aware of that in advance).

The only slightly concerning discovery I made on a 2am trip to the facilities was that they locked the gates to the field (with a bike lock) at night. We were locked in. I had to climb over the gate (fine for me as I'm fit an able) but I would be concerned in the event of an emergency, if someone needed to leave suddenly, or an ambulance needed access.

Otherwise, no complaints and I would return.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Philandlol 15 reviews from this member

There are many things to like about this site; the friendly wardens, the superb location, the overall tidiness and The Manifold Inn at the end of the driveway.

We were the only touring van staying amongst 40 or so tents and that's a first for us ! I think the site is definitely more suited to camping than caravanning. My advice is that you ring prior to find out your pitch number, because once past it, turning space is very limited. Thank you to the warden who helped us out doing this !.

Alot of the pitches, particularly those backing onto the river are quite small and really this would be my only gripe.

Showers and toilets are fine if a little dated (new shower though block which is good).

Its a superb site for families with children, the river is very shallow ideal for kids to mess about in.

The Manifold Inn offers excellent real ale and good food. Lovely area for walking and site seeing. 10/10 for campers 8/10 for caravanners.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ellioteleanor 3 reviews from this member

I stayed here with 4 adults and 2 children for 4 nights in the meadow field. On arrival, we parked in the 'booking in' bay before being told where to pitch. We received a warm welcome by the wardens.

There are two main areas to this campsite which are separated by a busy road so that is worth bearing in mind if you have small children. The tents with EHU are positioned next to the reception on this side of the site. In my opinion, they are too close to each other but they are positioned right next to the stream which makes it a nice setting otherwise.

All facilities were also located on this side of the here (e. G. Fridge/ freezer, toilets and showers). The showers were hot, clean and free. The only facilities in the meadow field were one water tap and bins. This did made it a bit awkward when it came to the loos as the children in our party were only 2 and 5 years old. However, the stream was lovely and the kids enjoyed playing in the large open field, as well as the toasted marshmallows on our campfire (fires permitted as long as they are off the ground).

We had lunch in the pub which was tasty if a bit pricey and we also used the very quaint Hulme End shop (separate business) whose owners were very friendly.

We enjoyed a walk along the Manifold Way and this site is also handy for visits to Ashbourne and Dove Dale.

A nice campsite but I am not sure I would return as I found the prices quite steep for the facilities available to campers in the meadow field. 18 per night for 2 adults in a tent with a car, 5 extra for children aged 5+.

Previous     117 Reviews in total, now showing 7 to 12      Next

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Derbyshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Colibri Lux Sleeping Bag and Sim Bundle worth over 270 Win East Anglian Game & Country Fair Camping Weekend Tickets!

UKCS Meet East Anglian Game and Country Fair 28 to 29 April
Thetford. Weekend Camping available. Plus win tickets in our competition ...more