Visitor Reviews - Bank House Farm

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Peak District & Derbyshire > Site Reviews

Bank House Farm
Hulme End
Nr Hartington
Buxton
Derbyshire   (Browse area)
SK17 0EX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m 10m   5m  1m

Open: Easter To End Sep/oct

Reviews:  116 in total, now showing 7 to 12                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin 200 Walkers Camping Kit and Tent AND 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Reviewer: R0450111 3 reviews from this member

Spent an idyllic five days at this site. Second visit and so worth it! Wardens were lovely and quick to respond to any queries. Showers were immaculate each time we used them. Saw plenty of little jobs being done to keep the site tidy and in good repair. The pub across the road served some stunning steaks and is well worth a visit although booking a table is recommended! A genuinely lovely campsite all though got a little crowded due to some very soggy pitches!

Reviewer: Kebabster 1 review from this member

I've recently stayed here on two separate occasions and have pitched my tent on the top field. The views are amazing from here and if you don't mind a bit of a walk (slight hill) to the toilets/showers/washing up station then the panorama makes up for it. However, It was quite windy on our first stay (two nights) and there was a quite a bit of traffic noise.

The weather was amazing on our second stay (one night) and we had the sun long after the pitches at the bottom were in the shade. I love the large top field as it is less regimented (no EHU or water tap though) and you can pitch where you like. Being able to have camp fires is a real plus too.

The wardens are helpful and friendly and replied promptly to emails.

I would be hesitant to stay at the bottom pitches by the driveway as the pitches seem quite close together and there is a big skip at the entrance.

The facilities, although clean, are a little basic and the toilet/shower block could do with an upgrade. I don't expect a 5* bathroom but there aren't enough hooks or shelves to comfortably keep things dry and the space is cramped. Thought it was really good that the showers are free and there are electric points if you want to use a hairdryer.

The Manifold Inn opposite is very handy. It was so nice after pitching a tent quite late on a Friday evening to be able to skip over the road and have a great meal (they allow dogs in the conservatory if you are eating).

As much as I love the site I would be reluctant to stay again just because of the traffic noise but I wonder if it is worse in the top field. Also the site is in the middle of agricultural land and there are a lot of tractors/farm vehicles coming and going which were noisy early in the morning.

Reviewer: Kittyboochris 4 reviews from this member

Stayed on the meadow field August bank holiday weekend. Lovely site, friendly and welcoming wardens and we really appreciated the fact they don't take the opportunity to cram as many people in as they could on bank holidays (there was certainly the demand).

There was plenty of room in the meadow field and it was really refreshing to have the freedom to pitch where we wanted and for it not to be overcrowded. It was also nice and peaceful, no loud campers and it's great to be able to have a camp fire.

The main site (where the facilities are) has marked pitches which looked rather small and appeared cramped - I wouldn't want to stay there, despite the ease of access to the facilities.

Minor inconvenience was that the facilities were a 5 minute walk away from the meadow field (but we were aware of that in advance).

The only slightly concerning discovery I made on a 2am trip to the facilities was that they locked the gates to the field (with a bike lock) at night. We were locked in. I had to climb over the gate (fine for me as I'm fit an able) but I would be concerned in the event of an emergency, if someone needed to leave suddenly, or an ambulance needed access.

Otherwise, no complaints and I would return.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Philandlol 15 reviews from this member

There are many things to like about this site; the friendly wardens, the superb location, the overall tidiness and The Manifold Inn at the end of the driveway.

We were the only touring van staying amongst 40 or so tents and that's a first for us ! I think the site is definitely more suited to camping than caravanning. My advice is that you ring prior to find out your pitch number, because once past it, turning space is very limited. Thank you to the warden who helped us out doing this !.

Alot of the pitches, particularly those backing onto the river are quite small and really this would be my only gripe.

Showers and toilets are fine if a little dated (new shower though block which is good).

Its a superb site for families with children, the river is very shallow ideal for kids to mess about in.

The Manifold Inn offers excellent real ale and good food. Lovely area for walking and site seeing. 10/10 for campers 8/10 for caravanners.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ellioteleanor 3 reviews from this member

I stayed here with 4 adults and 2 children for 4 nights in the meadow field. On arrival, we parked in the 'booking in' bay before being told where to pitch. We received a warm welcome by the wardens.

There are two main areas to this campsite which are separated by a busy road so that is worth bearing in mind if you have small children. The tents with EHU are positioned next to the reception on this side of the site. In my opinion, they are too close to each other but they are positioned right next to the stream which makes it a nice setting otherwise.

All facilities were also located on this side of the here (e. G. Fridge/ freezer, toilets and showers). The showers were hot, clean and free. The only facilities in the meadow field were one water tap and bins. This did made it a bit awkward when it came to the loos as the children in our party were only 2 and 5 years old. However, the stream was lovely and the kids enjoyed playing in the large open field, as well as the toasted marshmallows on our campfire (fires permitted as long as they are off the ground).

We had lunch in the pub which was tasty if a bit pricey and we also used the very quaint Hulme End shop (separate business) whose owners were very friendly.

We enjoyed a walk along the Manifold Way and this site is also handy for visits to Ashbourne and Dove Dale.

A nice campsite but I am not sure I would return as I found the prices quite steep for the facilities available to campers in the meadow field. 18 per night for 2 adults in a tent with a car, 5 extra for children aged 5+.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ovcubberley 6 reviews from this member

We've just returned from our second visit to Bank House Farm. How lovely to see that, what was a lovely spot 5 years ago has only improved with time.

We were booked into the Meadow Field (the smaller of the two fields). It is over the road from the main site which means a short walk along the road to the toilets and other facilities. If you have young children it does mean you have to watch them on the road.

Facilities themselves were clean. Can't comment on the showers as we didn't use them. Looked reasonable though and were free. The wash basin area in the ladies was a bit cramped, but well kept.

Two good sized washing up stations and a couple of fridge freezers. The site also allows fires and provides fire bowls and kindling at a small cost. I noticed the staff also take the time to check on fire safety around the site.

The highlights for us:

The river. In the meadow field, the river was shallow enough that all the kids on the site could play safely (and get very wet). If you camp in the right spot, you can supervise them. Our 8 year old had a great time making new friends.

The pub: Don't be put off by the closeness of the pub to the site. It was a lovely place. Not rowdy. Food was outstanding (Manifold Inn). Lovely field at the front where kids played. Just be warned of the temptation to stop off on the way back from the loos.

The shop: Well stocked, open early and no more than a five minute walk from the main site. Just a short hop over the wall from the meadow field.

The Manifold Way:

Starts in Hulme End. About 200 yards from the site. Amazing tea shop at the start of the route (biggest selection of home baked cakes I've ever seen). Beautiful valley with a family friendly cycle route and a number of circular walks along it. Don't miss Thor's Cave.

Previous     116 Reviews in total, now showing 7 to 12      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Derbyshire   -   Search for a site

Win a HandiRack and HandiHoldall Combo Pack Win an OLPRO Abberley XL 4 Berth Tent

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more