Visitor Reviews - Old Hall Cottage Camping Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Old Hall Cottage Camping Site
The Cart House
Hardraw
Hawes
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
DL8 3LZ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01969 667691

1m

Open:

Reviews:  24 in total, now showing 7 to 12                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Reviewer: The Walker Rambler 6 reviews from this member

I have just returned from spending 3 nights at this campsite. I have camped all of my life and I must rate this as one of the best sites I have ever stopped at. The first 2 nights were very quiet and it got fairly busy on the Saturday night. Although there are only 2 showers on the site, at no time did I have to wait for a shower. Also I thought the showers were the best I have used on a campsite. The toilets and showers were extremely clean and tidy at all times. The views from the site were stunning. The only downside was that the nearest shops are a good walk away at Hawes but I would still give this site a 9 out of 10 score. I will definitely be returning to this site probably within the next fortnight.

Reviewer: KimmyJane 2 reviews from this member

We stayed at Old Hall Cottage camp site last weekend, the site is well maintained with clean facilities - without C&C Club rules about shower blocks being closed for three hours for cleaning. Stunning views, very helpful, accommodating owners, great food at the café and the pub just over the bridge. Ideal for local walks, without having to drive to a starting point. Not too commercialised, possibly due to lack of electric hook-up (owners, please don't change!) quiet site. Area a lot quieter than the Lake District, so if you like a walk without the 'madding crowd' head for Hardraw :-)

I'm sure we'll be back,

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Rebell50 2 reviews from this member

Very helpful and pleasant owner, who made delicious home made food in the cafe.

Toilet and washing area spotless and hot water for washing up and bathing.

Very clean with no litter and clearly marked bins.

High standard of facilities.

Lovely green rolling site next to a small river and a stone's throw from the famous Hardrow Falls but without the bog or public access.

Overall a lovely spot with picturesque views

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fen Runner 3 reviews from this member

Just got back from a quick two, enjoyable nights at Old Hall Cottage and I thought the views from the site are amazing.

The site is relatively level and on the days in question it was quiet with only five tents in situ so I could pitch where I wanted. As previously commented on the toilets/showers are small but for me this wasn't a problem with the site quiet.

The showers were clean and pipping hot so the 50p did not seem too much to ask. The lack of hot water in the basins was a chore though as it meant 'carting' a kettle with you if you wanted a shave.

The cost for me and a two berth tent/car was £9 per night so this didn't seem too expenses but I have just returned to camping after a considerable time so don't know how this compares?

The Green Dragon pub is only two mins and is an excellent pub with a wide variety of real ales, good food, homely ambience and welcoming open fire.

If you catch the site 'off peak' as I did you will find it a more than enjoyable experience.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bertie300 15 reviews from this member

A very well kept site, fairly flat ground and well drained. The camping area is behind the cafe and away from the road making this site nice and quiet.

The two toilets are kept clean and well 'stocked', there isn't a hand washing sink in the toilet but there are 2 sinks available in the shower block which has 2 showers.

Unfortunately the facilities do not have hot water, not even in the pot washing area which makes washing greasy pots a bit of a chore.

There isn't a play park or designated area for children but there is still plenty to do in the surrounding area.

The area has a lot to offer if relaxing is the order of the day, the views are amazing.

Next door to the site is the Green Dragon pub which serves reasonable beers and food. The owners of the pub also own the waterfall just behind the pub, worth a visit but be prepared not to be amazed.

The cost for a 3 man tent with 2 people cost £13 for 1 night, very reasonable indeed. Cost of a shower is 50p for 5 mins.

We will visit the site again as we enjoyed our stay, friendly locals and sociable visitors.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Shelleyandandrew201 1 review from this member

My boyfriend and I have stayed here a few times now and is one of our favourite places to come back to. It costs us £14 per night as we have a large 4-man tent. The field is rather uneven so a level pitch may be hard to come by at peak times, especially if you have quite a large tent. That said, we've never had a problem.

The shower and toilet facilities are clean and adequate, with hot showers for 50p and always plenty of paper in the toilets! This is only a small site and we've been when it has been very busy, and never had to queue for a toilet or shower. The washing up area does not have hot water, but it isn't that much of a hardship to boil our own kettle and get some.

The cafe in the Cart House is lovely, the leek and potato soup is delicious and a variety of tea and coffee is available, as well as locally produced icecream for those hot days. The highlight must however be the Green Dragon Inn next door, not a cheap round but some very nice real ales on tap and plenty of good conversation to be had with the locals and others passing through. We've stumbled on folk festivals here when we've been, and spent several evenings taking refuge when we didn't check the forecast before freezing in our tent!

It is a pleasant walk of just over a mile along the Pennine Way into Hawes, where there are several pubs and cafes and a variety of shops where we have managed to find everything we needed, especially as there is a Spar for groceries. There is also a HSBC in Hawes where there is a cash point.

In all, this is a lovely little site that we enjoy coming back to, and are looking forward to our next trip.

Previous     24 Reviews in total, now showing 7 to 12      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in North Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCampsite.co.uk Advent Calendar