Visitor Reviews - The Old Oaks Touring Park (adults Only)

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Site Reviews

The Old Oaks Touring Park (adults Only)
Wick Farm
Wick
Glastonbury
Somerset   (Browse area)
BA6 8JS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01458 831 437

5m  5m  1m

Open: 01/3 To 20/11

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  299 in total, now showing 261 to 270                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!
Win £100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win £100 of Caravan and Motorhome Club vouchers or £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan and Motorhome Club. Join The Club from just £48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Faerieface 1 review from this member

We have just returned from our 5th visit to The Old Oaks. This site is outstanding in every way.amazing location, pristine facilities, free showers and hairdryers, immaculate pitches and best of all no screaming kids!

If you are looking for a total retreat then this is the place for you.

Staying at the Old Oaks has really spoilt us as we have not found any other campsite that compares. Already looking forward to next years visit!

Reviewer: Boo1 16 reviews from this member

I cannot praise this site highly enough. It was the first camping experience we've had in years and we were thoroughly spoilt by choosing this site to start our camping hobby at. All the fields had beautifully manicured lawns with the centres left empty to create a feeling of space. The toilet blocks were spotless and there was never a queue.

Be sure to order the fresh bread from reception if you stay here - it is brought in by the local baker and the French Grain was the perhaps the best bread I've ever had - myself and my husband polished off a whole loaf for breakfast.

We walked into Glastonbury a couple of times although the climb over the Tor seemed to get steeper and steeper! Takes about 40 minutes if you keep a constant pace, but to be honest you may as well sup local scrumpy outside your tent and take in the peace and tranquillity of your surroundings.

We will definitely return - haven't felt so chilled out in years!

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: K preece 3 reviews from this member

This park is superb, it's location is perfect, the site is the most spotlessly clean site we have visited and everyone treats it with respect.

The welcome was fine and the pitch size excellent you didn't feel crammed in at any time.

The on-site facilities were great and again well looked after, the real treat was the unisex bathrooms which were huge but were more often than not in use, however, the showers in the main toilet block were fine and clean and you didn't have to wait for long to use them.

Getting into Glastonbury is either a nice walk over the fields or abut £5 in a taxi, which we thought was very reasonable and there are plenty of places to eat.

To summarise, if you want a beautiful peaceful campsite (with no kids) with the opportunity to get into town and experience Glastonbury then I would wholeheartedly recommend this site.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bob™57 16 reviews from this member

I chose this site for three reasons. Firstly, it is adult only and I wanted a peaceful weekend for my first trip this year. Secondly, I hadn't been to Glastonbury before. Thirdly, the site seems to have rave reviews.

The reviews are all correct. This site is one of the best kept I have ever been to. The pitches are almost like bowling greens and the site is set out among ornamental shrubbery.hardly a weed to be seen. Which is fantastic if you like camping in ornamental gardens.

The previous reviews seemed to concentrate on the fantastic toilet and washing facilities and based on these reviews I rather expected to find velvet covered heated toilet seats! Well, they weren't quite that good but they were certainly to the standard previously described and in keeping with many other modern well kept sites.

All in all, this site is first class.beautifully set out, huge pitches, nice scenery.and exceptionally quiet until the dawn chorus. On the weekend I was there I found most people kept themselves to themselves.perhaps a small bar for socialising might be a benefit.

Now for the bits that don't appear in the brochures and web sites :-

Unfortunately this is one of those sites which positions caravans (which usually have their own facilities) closest to the facilities, and tents (which don't) furthest away. I was about as far away as you could get at the top of the top field, only a couple of minutes walk but a very long walk after a tiring day's trecking, which brings me to the advertised footpaths to the Tor and the town.

These walks are certainly for people who are strong of heart and fleet of foot. The one and a half mile footpath into town is not a well kept and level path. It is a foot-trodden uneven path which takes you through cow fields, horse fields, over styles and through kissing gates.but a pleasant walk nonetheless for the fittest.the taxi fare back cost me £6 plus a tip!

The three quarters of a mile walk to the base of the Tor is mostly along a very little used tarmac lane.but a very steep uphill climb all the way.and that's before you climb the Tor! However, I discovered light at the end of the tunnel.from the base of the Tor is a half hourly bus shuttle service into Glastonbury and for £2 you can travel backwards and forwards on it all day. Getting back to base camp from the Tor is all downhill of course, but check the bus times because it finishes early evening and that taxi ride may still be required.assuming you can find something to amuse you after dark in Glastonbury.

Date of Visit: May 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Chelsea girl 56 reviews from this member

Couldnt fault this site  - already booked again for August.
Exceptional showers, huge and spotlessly clean.  The site was so quiet - the birdsong was noisier than the people.  Highly recommended for lovers of peace / quiet / nature / walks and very dog friendly.
Great shop, friendly staff.

Reviewer: Steve + Gina 4 reviews from this member

An absolute Gem of a site! Everything that everyone else has already said with bells and ribbons on it. We stayed in the top field in our frame tent and the pitch was huge, we could have got three or four of our Cabanon Aruba tents side by side and still have room to park. Beautiful views from all around the site, no traffic noise from anywhere as it is one mile either way to any road.

The fishing is quite good and very reasonably priced - during our visit a full day ticket was only £3.50 or £2.00 for a part day (say afternoon into evening). Fishing on the bottom you will catch "pasty" sized carp all day long along with the occasional better fish. There are also some very nice roach to be caught. Most of the better carp seem to be caught on the surface and if you want to avoid been plagued by the smaller fish mobbing your floated bread, try dog biscuits or similar. Oh, don't ignore the margins, my best catches came from fishing within inches of the bank.

There seemed to be quite a few regular visitors to the site and there was a very strong sense of community among them and all of them make you feel really welcome, offering a wealth of information and advice regarding the area.

Tuesday is market day in Glastonbury, where you can stock up on fresh local produce, all very tasty - we had to cut our walk short to carry it all back to our tent!

If you like wildlife there is an abundance of it here, hares playing around the site, robins perching on your guy ropes, squirrels scampering around, I even had a fox sat behind me while I fished early one morning.

We like to visit a different area when we camp, but we will most definitely revisit The Old Oaks.

Go on, book yourselves in, we promise you wont regret it.

Reviewer: Daisydoo 22 reviews from this member

I really well looked after and peaceful site. The friendly woodpecker paid a visit each morning! Best toilet blocks I have come across! Very friendly and helpful. All pitches were level and very generous in size. Will definitely be visiting again very soon.

Date of Visit: May 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Susan + Ian 10 reviews from this member

Chose this site after reading these reviews and we weren't disappointed. It was everything we expected it to be. We were camping with electric so we were in with the caravans. Each pitch was huge and set out individually with trees and shrubs either side so it was nice and private plus we were close to the toilet block and reception/shop so everything we needed was close by. As the site had only one toilet/shower block I felt lucky not to be in one of the further fields as they would have a bit of walk if site was full. Rest of site was superb and would definitely return.

Reviewer: Lynm 67 reviews from this member

Stayed Thursday to Sunday first weekend in June. It was as usual the highest standard of any site we have stayed in. The weather was perfect, but having been there in the rain in the past it was the icing on the cake.

It never fails to amaze me how wonderfully clean, litter free and peaceful this site is. This time we were in The Orchard and the pitches are a wonderful size. The owners and people running the place are helpful, friendly and caring.

The environment is wonderful with rabbits, woodpeckers et al.
Mind you if you don't like being woken by the most amazing dawn chorus of birds take ear plugs! I found it fascinating and I could go to sleep afterwards.

The facilities really are better than some B&Bs. It's a site we'll keep coming back to and recommend to all of you and our friends but don't you dare fill it up so we can't get in!

All in all if you want peace, quiet, close to nature and wonderful people and facilities book yourself in.

Reviewer: The Admiral 33 reviews from this member

Just come back from our 2nd visit to this site and we were as impressed as the the first time. The Old Oaks is immaculate - the facilities are wonderful and the owners very pleasant and helpful. I really can't fault this site, if you're looking for an Adults Only site with excellent facilities and lots of peace and quiet this is the site for you! We are already planning a probable return trip in September.

Previous     299 Reviews in total, now showing 261 to 270      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win £100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of £100 of Club vouchers or £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan and Motorhome Club

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Somerset   -   Search for a site

Win an OLPRO Knightwick 3 Tent Win tickets to the NEC Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show

UKCS Meet NEC Caravan Camping & Motorhome Show - 21st to 26th February
Hundreds of caravans, motorhomes, tents, holiday lodges and 1000's of accessories all under one roof! ...more