Visitor Reviews - The Old Oaks Touring Park (adults Only)

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Site Reviews

The Old Oaks Touring Park (adults Only)
Wick Farm
Wick
Glastonbury
Somerset   (Browse area)
BA6 8JS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01458 831 437

5m  5m  1m

Open: 01/3 To 20/11

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  303 in total, now showing 261 to 270                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin £200 Walkers Camping Kit and Tent AND £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Reviewer: Deborah Sainsbury 107 reviews from this member

August 2001
When we went the site was still open for kids but it is now adult only. (Hopefully this had nothing to do with us!!) This is probably a good thing because the site is nice and quiet and I kind of got the impression that it wasn't that child friendly when we were there. Having said that this site had by far the best toilets, showers, bathrooms etc of the sites we have been on so far - proper vanity units etc etc. There is a small shop and tourist info place but not a lot else and there are a variety of pitches you can choose from.

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Krakenchops 8 reviews from this member

Before I start this review, I should start by saying I only ever stay at Adults Only sites, so have compared this site with other equivalent sites.

The park itself it well positioned, and is far enough from the main road to be free of traffic rumble. The welcome on arrival was nothing special, but we were shown to our pitch by a member of staff on a bike.

We were camping on electric and were put on the Orchard terraces. We were the only tent in this area. The pitch was large and level, bordered by a low hedge and some thin planting, which didn't really screen the pitch. The pitch had obviously had a long stay with a non breathable groundsheet some time recently as the grass was discoloured and there were some largish bald spots. All pitches in the Orchard terraces back onto a thick hedge, in between which is the footpath that leads to the Tor. People come and go at all hours from around 6am til around midnight. Whilst this wouldn't be a problem in a caravan, the occasional loud conversation whilst passing is enough to be a disturbance in a tent.

That said the general ambience of the area I camped was quietish, unitl 2 days before I was due to leave, which I will come onto later. There was some TV noise from surrounding caravans which went off around 11.30pm some nights.

The general camping field didn't look as plush as the terraces and the tents seemed a lot closer together. It was also the furthest away from the toilet block. My pitch on the terraces was at most 1 minute from them facilities which was convenient. These included wash/dryer around 10 washing up bays, 2 toilet/shower cubilces a bathroom (paid) and a iron and board which was free. The main toilet block(mens) had 3 toilets, 3 washrooms and 3 showers and 2 urinals all of which were clean through the day.

The facilites were nothing amazing though, and were on a par which most other adults only sites, that are obviously not ravaged by unsupervised children running amock.

The site also accepts groups at their discretion which is fairly unsual for adult only sites. 2 days before we were due to leave the site put 4 dutch tourist carvans in a block on the terraces 2 on either sides facing each other. They proceeded to talk loudly across the access roads and generally kills the quiet nature of the site, as groups tend to. The next moring the whole group proceeding to sing loudly on the access road next to our tent at 7am. Wherever I went on the site this group seemed to be there and talking loudly, very annoying. I mentioned the noise to the owners and they said they would try and have a word. However the general level of noise from them didn't go down and the next day I chose to leave the site a day early as it was becoming tedious.

As I said at the start, I only visit adult only sites. This is for the general peace and quiet that these site general allude to. Although this site has good facilites, I personally found it to be not as good as others I have visited this year.

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Pippy214 3 reviews from this member

This really is a lovely site. Visited for the first time this year and will definitely be returning. Shower blocks are very clean and even though the site was full there were never any queues. The site is spotlessly clean. There is a small shop which does actually sell most things you may need. There is also a fishing pond which is well stocked. If you are looking for peace and quiet I can recommend this site. All in all a very well looked after site. I can recommend 100 percent.

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Chelsea girl 56 reviews from this member

Our 2nd visit to this site. It is fast becoming our favourite! Once again, immaculate showers etc - and even a couple of "private" rooms with loo's/showers/basin all in a room to yourself. The site was full, but you wouldnt have known it - we stayed in the "orchard" section, it was peaceful and tranquil and they never over cram the site.

We ordered freshly baked bread in the shop for the following morning, took a stroll around the fishing lake, Old Oaks is still very dog friendly with a great dog walk and lots of walks direct from the site.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, this site deserves all its awards!

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Faerieface 1 review from this member

We have just returned from our 5th visit to The Old Oaks. This site is outstanding in every way.amazing location, pristine facilities, free showers and hairdryers, immaculate pitches and best of all no screaming kids!

If you are looking for a total retreat then this is the place for you.

Staying at the Old Oaks has really spoilt us as we have not found any other campsite that compares. Already looking forward to next years visit!

Date of Visit: June 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Boo1 16 reviews from this member

I cannot praise this site highly enough. It was the first camping experience we've had in years and we were thoroughly spoilt by choosing this site to start our camping hobby at. All the fields had beautifully manicured lawns with the centres left empty to create a feeling of space. The toilet blocks were spotless and there was never a queue.

Be sure to order the fresh bread from reception if you stay here - it is brought in by the local baker and the French Grain was the perhaps the best bread I've ever had - myself and my husband polished off a whole loaf for breakfast.

We walked into Glastonbury a couple of times although the climb over the Tor seemed to get steeper and steeper! Takes about 40 minutes if you keep a constant pace, but to be honest you may as well sup local scrumpy outside your tent and take in the peace and tranquillity of your surroundings.

We will definitely return - haven't felt so chilled out in years!

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: K preece 3 reviews from this member

This park is superb, it's location is perfect, the site is the most spotlessly clean site we have visited and everyone treats it with respect.

The welcome was fine and the pitch size excellent you didn't feel crammed in at any time.

The on-site facilities were great and again well looked after, the real treat was the unisex bathrooms which were huge but were more often than not in use, however, the showers in the main toilet block were fine and clean and you didn't have to wait for long to use them.

Getting into Glastonbury is either a nice walk over the fields or abut £5 in a taxi, which we thought was very reasonable and there are plenty of places to eat.

To summarise, if you want a beautiful peaceful campsite (with no kids) with the opportunity to get into town and experience Glastonbury then I would wholeheartedly recommend this site.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bob™57 16 reviews from this member

I chose this site for three reasons. Firstly, it is adult only and I wanted a peaceful weekend for my first trip this year. Secondly, I hadn't been to Glastonbury before. Thirdly, the site seems to have rave reviews.

The reviews are all correct. This site is one of the best kept I have ever been to. The pitches are almost like bowling greens and the site is set out among ornamental shrubbery.hardly a weed to be seen. Which is fantastic if you like camping in ornamental gardens.

The previous reviews seemed to concentrate on the fantastic toilet and washing facilities and based on these reviews I rather expected to find velvet covered heated toilet seats! Well, they weren't quite that good but they were certainly to the standard previously described and in keeping with many other modern well kept sites.

All in all, this site is first class.beautifully set out, huge pitches, nice scenery.and exceptionally quiet until the dawn chorus. On the weekend I was there I found most people kept themselves to themselves.perhaps a small bar for socialising might be a benefit.

Now for the bits that don't appear in the brochures and web sites :-

Unfortunately this is one of those sites which positions caravans (which usually have their own facilities) closest to the facilities, and tents (which don't) furthest away. I was about as far away as you could get at the top of the top field, only a couple of minutes walk but a very long walk after a tiring day's trecking, which brings me to the advertised footpaths to the Tor and the town.

These walks are certainly for people who are strong of heart and fleet of foot. The one and a half mile footpath into town is not a well kept and level path. It is a foot-trodden uneven path which takes you through cow fields, horse fields, over styles and through kissing gates.but a pleasant walk nonetheless for the fittest.the taxi fare back cost me £6 plus a tip!

The three quarters of a mile walk to the base of the Tor is mostly along a very little used tarmac lane.but a very steep uphill climb all the way.and that's before you climb the Tor! However, I discovered light at the end of the tunnel.from the base of the Tor is a half hourly bus shuttle service into Glastonbury and for £2 you can travel backwards and forwards on it all day. Getting back to base camp from the Tor is all downhill of course, but check the bus times because it finishes early evening and that taxi ride may still be required.assuming you can find something to amuse you after dark in Glastonbury.

Date of Visit: May 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Chelsea girl 56 reviews from this member

Couldnt fault this site  - already booked again for August.
Exceptional showers, huge and spotlessly clean.  The site was so quiet - the birdsong was noisier than the people.  Highly recommended for lovers of peace / quiet / nature / walks and very dog friendly.
Great shop, friendly staff.

Date of Visit: June 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Steve + Gina 4 reviews from this member

An absolute Gem of a site! Everything that everyone else has already said with bells and ribbons on it. We stayed in the top field in our frame tent and the pitch was huge, we could have got three or four of our Cabanon Aruba tents side by side and still have room to park. Beautiful views from all around the site, no traffic noise from anywhere as it is one mile either way to any road.

The fishing is quite good and very reasonably priced - during our visit a full day ticket was only £3.50 or £2.00 for a part day (say afternoon into evening). Fishing on the bottom you will catch "pasty" sized carp all day long along with the occasional better fish. There are also some very nice roach to be caught. Most of the better carp seem to be caught on the surface and if you want to avoid been plagued by the smaller fish mobbing your floated bread, try dog biscuits or similar. Oh, don't ignore the margins, my best catches came from fishing within inches of the bank.

There seemed to be quite a few regular visitors to the site and there was a very strong sense of community among them and all of them make you feel really welcome, offering a wealth of information and advice regarding the area.

Tuesday is market day in Glastonbury, where you can stock up on fresh local produce, all very tasty - we had to cut our walk short to carry it all back to our tent!

If you like wildlife there is an abundance of it here, hares playing around the site, robins perching on your guy ropes, squirrels scampering around, I even had a fox sat behind me while I fished early one morning.

We like to visit a different area when we camp, but we will most definitely revisit The Old Oaks.

Go on, book yourselves in, we promise you wont regret it.

Previous     303 Reviews in total, now showing 261 to 270      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Somerset   -   Search for a site

Win a Buzzwing Tilting and Folding 4 Bike Rack Win your favourite OLPRO Windbreak from 6 Fab Designs

UKCS Meet UK Autumn Motorhome & Caravan Show 2nd to 3rd September
Season-finale event, taking place at Newark Showground, discounted tickets too ...more