Visitor Reviews - The Old Oaks Touring Park (adults Only)

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Site Reviews

The Old Oaks Touring Park (adults Only)
Wick Farm
Wick
Glastonbury
Somerset   (Browse area)
BA6 8JS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01458 831 437

5m  5m  1m

Open: 01/3 To 20/11

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  306 in total, now showing 271 to 280                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a £300 Prize Package including £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bob™57 16 reviews from this member

I chose this site for three reasons. Firstly, it is adult only and I wanted a peaceful weekend for my first trip this year. Secondly, I hadn't been to Glastonbury before. Thirdly, the site seems to have rave reviews.

The reviews are all correct. This site is one of the best kept I have ever been to. The pitches are almost like bowling greens and the site is set out among ornamental shrubbery.hardly a weed to be seen. Which is fantastic if you like camping in ornamental gardens.

The previous reviews seemed to concentrate on the fantastic toilet and washing facilities and based on these reviews I rather expected to find velvet covered heated toilet seats! Well, they weren't quite that good but they were certainly to the standard previously described and in keeping with many other modern well kept sites.

All in all, this site is first class.beautifully set out, huge pitches, nice scenery.and exceptionally quiet until the dawn chorus. On the weekend I was there I found most people kept themselves to themselves.perhaps a small bar for socialising might be a benefit.

Now for the bits that don't appear in the brochures and web sites :-

Unfortunately this is one of those sites which positions caravans (which usually have their own facilities) closest to the facilities, and tents (which don't) furthest away. I was about as far away as you could get at the top of the top field, only a couple of minutes walk but a very long walk after a tiring day's trecking, which brings me to the advertised footpaths to the Tor and the town.

These walks are certainly for people who are strong of heart and fleet of foot. The one and a half mile footpath into town is not a well kept and level path. It is a foot-trodden uneven path which takes you through cow fields, horse fields, over styles and through kissing gates.but a pleasant walk nonetheless for the fittest.the taxi fare back cost me £6 plus a tip!

The three quarters of a mile walk to the base of the Tor is mostly along a very little used tarmac lane.but a very steep uphill climb all the way.and that's before you climb the Tor! However, I discovered light at the end of the tunnel.from the base of the Tor is a half hourly bus shuttle service into Glastonbury and for £2 you can travel backwards and forwards on it all day. Getting back to base camp from the Tor is all downhill of course, but check the bus times because it finishes early evening and that taxi ride may still be required.assuming you can find something to amuse you after dark in Glastonbury.

Date of Visit: May 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Chelsea girl 56 reviews from this member

Couldnt fault this site  - already booked again for August.
Exceptional showers, huge and spotlessly clean.  The site was so quiet - the birdsong was noisier than the people.  Highly recommended for lovers of peace / quiet / nature / walks and very dog friendly.
Great shop, friendly staff.

Reviewer: Steve + Gina 4 reviews from this member

An absolute Gem of a site! Everything that everyone else has already said with bells and ribbons on it. We stayed in the top field in our frame tent and the pitch was huge, we could have got three or four of our Cabanon Aruba tents side by side and still have room to park. Beautiful views from all around the site, no traffic noise from anywhere as it is one mile either way to any road.

The fishing is quite good and very reasonably priced - during our visit a full day ticket was only £3.50 or £2.00 for a part day (say afternoon into evening). Fishing on the bottom you will catch "pasty" sized carp all day long along with the occasional better fish. There are also some very nice roach to be caught. Most of the better carp seem to be caught on the surface and if you want to avoid been plagued by the smaller fish mobbing your floated bread, try dog biscuits or similar. Oh, don't ignore the margins, my best catches came from fishing within inches of the bank.

There seemed to be quite a few regular visitors to the site and there was a very strong sense of community among them and all of them make you feel really welcome, offering a wealth of information and advice regarding the area.

Tuesday is market day in Glastonbury, where you can stock up on fresh local produce, all very tasty - we had to cut our walk short to carry it all back to our tent!

If you like wildlife there is an abundance of it here, hares playing around the site, robins perching on your guy ropes, squirrels scampering around, I even had a fox sat behind me while I fished early one morning.

We like to visit a different area when we camp, but we will most definitely revisit The Old Oaks.

Go on, book yourselves in, we promise you wont regret it.

Reviewer: Daisydoo 22 reviews from this member

I really well looked after and peaceful site. The friendly woodpecker paid a visit each morning! Best toilet blocks I have come across! Very friendly and helpful. All pitches were level and very generous in size. Will definitely be visiting again very soon.

Date of Visit: May 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Susan + Ian 10 reviews from this member

Chose this site after reading these reviews and we weren't disappointed. It was everything we expected it to be. We were camping with electric so we were in with the caravans. Each pitch was huge and set out individually with trees and shrubs either side so it was nice and private plus we were close to the toilet block and reception/shop so everything we needed was close by. As the site had only one toilet/shower block I felt lucky not to be in one of the further fields as they would have a bit of walk if site was full. Rest of site was superb and would definitely return.

Reviewer: Lynm 75 reviews from this member

Stayed Thursday to Sunday first weekend in June. It was as usual the highest standard of any site we have stayed in. The weather was perfect, but having been there in the rain in the past it was the icing on the cake.

It never fails to amaze me how wonderfully clean, litter free and peaceful this site is. This time we were in The Orchard and the pitches are a wonderful size. The owners and people running the place are helpful, friendly and caring.

The environment is wonderful with rabbits, woodpeckers et al.
Mind you if you don't like being woken by the most amazing dawn chorus of birds take ear plugs! I found it fascinating and I could go to sleep afterwards.

The facilities really are better than some B&Bs. It's a site we'll keep coming back to and recommend to all of you and our friends but don't you dare fill it up so we can't get in!

All in all if you want peace, quiet, close to nature and wonderful people and facilities book yourself in.

Reviewer: The Admiral 33 reviews from this member

Just come back from our 2nd visit to this site and we were as impressed as the the first time. The Old Oaks is immaculate - the facilities are wonderful and the owners very pleasant and helpful. I really can't fault this site, if you're looking for an Adults Only site with excellent facilities and lots of peace and quiet this is the site for you! We are already planning a probable return trip in September.

Date of Visit: May 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: DENISE MASTERS 15 reviews from this member

We found this site by just browsing on the uk camp site reviews, it is an A+++++ site in every way, couldn't fault it at all, well worth a 2nd( plus) visit. The shower units are immaculate with a bathroom if one preferred a bath, It even has a disabled shower unit, which indeed came handy as my husband had broken his leg! There a number of good walks from the site, the Glastonbury Tor being one, well worth the walk up to it to see the surrounding views.

Date of Visit: May 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Piggy49 14 reviews from this member

We stayed on this site over the May Bank Holiday weekend and can honestly say that it is one of the best sites I have stayed at. The pitches are huge and the whole site is very well kept. The facilities are some of the best I have used and were spotless. All in all a great,friendly site and one I can thoroughly recommend.

Date of Visit: April 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Ste-Nik 1 review from this member

This was our 2nd visit to the site and again found it a wonderfully relaxing place to spend the Easter break. The pitch as before was huge and the owners didn't mind that we had bought 2 cars for our stay. The facilities are fantastic and the hot water really is HOT no matter what time of the day you decided to take a shower. Only small gripe is that the freezer didn't appear to be working, it was the same last year and after 2 days the freezer blocks still stubbornly refused to freeze. We enjoyed the fishing lake which wasn't as active as last year but provided many an hour of entertainment, as did identifying the different birds that awoke us every morning, especially the woodpecker that had taken to the telegraph pole next to the tent! A very clean and well run site, we will be back again soon.

Previous     306 Reviews in total, now showing 271 to 280      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Somerset   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth £49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans – plus 1000s of accessories ...more