Visitor Reviews - Gwithian Farm Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Site Reviews

Gwithian Farm Campsite
1 Churchtown Rd
Gwithian, Hayle
St Ives
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR27 5BX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m

Open: April To October

Reviews:  241 in total, now showing 21 to 30                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!
£100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win £100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: GMD01 6 reviews from this member

Just back from 2 weeks at this site. Campsite grounds are well kept with the grass cut regularly. We had no problems with showers, toilets or washing availability, but I can imagine in the summer period it would be a problem.

Not a lot on site for kids to do but the beach is within walking distance.

My wife had toothache while we were there and the owner was very helpful in getting an appointment with the emergency dentist in Newquay.

All in no complaints at all about this site and are planning on going back next year.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Summer2013 2 reviews from this member

Absolutely lovely site and we will be returning again next year! The only downside is that the WIFI does not really work, so don't go to this site if you really want WIFI.

There is one small entrance in and out of the campsite and nowhere to stay if you arrive early, so do not arrive before midday.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Jonford 19 reviews from this member

Absolutely love this place. We tour Cornwall every May and this is the only campsite that we come back to year after year. Great value for money(slightly more expensive than other sites, but so worth it)

Pitches are great. Some are uneven, but not really bad (balance blocks do the job). Book early and request a hard standing pitch - level.

Pitches are a v good size. We went out of season so hardly anyone on site so never queue for showers or cleaning area. Cleaning facilities are great - large, loads of them and clean!

Great walk off the campsite onto the beach at Gwithian - which offers superb sunsets! Sunset Surf cafe/bar is on the beach where you can enjoy a cider watching the sunset!

Staff are really helpful, offering advice on the local area/trains/buses. Bus stop straight outside site which takes you to St Ives. But we drive to the train station 3 mins away which is faster than the bus. Campsite is set in a lovely village with a pub across the road if you fancy a meal out. Free wifi is a big bonus too! Small playarea for the kids (sandpit). Site shop is well stocked for basic essentials. They have clearly put money into the site and it shows by the plants and stone walls. Very easy to drive to in a large motorhome. Deff stay next year

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Notlee55 3 reviews from this member

I simply do not know where to start.

We stayed here for 3 nights and then had to move.

There is only one block of amenities containing 9 toilets in the ladies between 147 pitches ( all which run out of loo roll and soap on a regular basis)One toilet was out of order for more than 24 hrs (I believe someone was sick in it) but Id have expected to be cleaned promptly.

The queue for the showers is often a problem especially in the mornings.

The block is situated next to the caravans which generally have their own toilets on board. Unfortunately those in tents who have no choice but to use the facilities have to walk up to a 4 min walk and with kids in the middle of the night is not either convenient or appropriate at all especially as there is NO lighting at all on the site. I quite often found this daunting at night as the paths are uneven and could easily lose your bearings or trip over guy ropes.

The timing of the toilet lights were poor. I asked if they could come on an hour earlier and stay on for an hour later, but nothing was done. Although the sun didnít set till 9 it was really dark in the bathrooms from about 7. 30, there is only skylights we needed to take a torch even though it was light outside. I felt as if the campsite was scrimping on the absolute basics even though they were a premium rate. Lights were turned out before 7Am every morning again if you wanted to have an early start I needed a torch.

I really struggled with the shower block, Although the showers are divided in to male and female units, the dividing wall didn't go to the top of the high roof, you could easily hear the bathroom habits over the wall. Little embarrassing, especially when someone was obviously having digestive problems on a number of occasions. But I understand that this doesn't bother everyone but I wasnít a fan. Could really benefit from playing light music.

I would agree with most of the reviews the walk to the beach is not a 'few minutes' walk, I would estimate it a good 20 mins but still worth doing as it was a lovely location.

The pub at the end of the road was nice, and it was a nice gesture for free WiFi but don't expect a quick download its extremely slow but you can get some sort of connection.

Overall the campsite is ok if you are looking for something with no frills and donít mind paying top price, its cleaned to a degree once a day, but not well maintained throughout the day. Be prepared to take your own loo roll, soup and Lamps. Location is great for surfing and being a little out of towns. There is a lidl and Tesco not far from the site which is really handy.

Staff were welcoming and has an excellent ice pack service with plenty of spare pack free of charge on hand.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: BillBeech005 7 reviews from this member

What can you say about this site that hasn't already been said, it is simply the best of the best. I have been going to Gwithian Farm Campsite since the first year that the owners and family, took it over. We started off in tents and then graduated to a caravan, it was just a field in those days with a few taps and basic facilities. We have seen it gradually morph into the superb site it is today, and yet still, year on year they keep improving it. It is refreshing to see owners that don't just rest on their laurels, the owners are wonderfully warm and welcoming, and nothing seems to phase them. The facilities are superb and always clean. There is a good pub with restaurant just opposite the entrance to the camp, and plenty of local shops for food etc. The beach is within easy walking distance through the top of the campsite and used by families, kitesurfers, walkers and all sorts, but it is so big it is rarely crowded, never has been in my experience anyway. I could go on and on, but I will only say, if you are looking for a campsite in Cornwall that will make you want to go back time and time again, then book now, you will not regret it!

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: PLoDR1 6 reviews from this member

Nice family camp / caravan site but also very friendly to hikers.

We turned up as a group of students hiking the coast path and were made very welcome - quite a contrast to some other parks in the vicinity. Grass was good for pitching and pampas & aloe hedges made good shelter from both the elements and other guests. We were allocated far more space than we needed but for a decent price, and this allowed us to not disturb / be disturbed by other guests. Showers and toilets good although a bit of a way from where we pitched. Shop also very useful and the owner even offered me a spoon from his own kitchen! when unable to sell me one after mine broke. Plenty of water points so was nice not to have to walk miles for that. Washing up area was covered and had warm water. Pub just across the road served us well in the evening.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: J9withdogs 6 reviews from this member

What a gem of a campsite!

It stands on a gently sloping site but most pitches appear to be reasonably level. It is beautifully landscaped with plenty of shrubs and hedges creating garden 'rooms' which give a high level of privacy but allow views of the lovely surrounding countryside.

The shower blocks are modern and clean, with plenty of hot water. There are separate facilities for wetsuit washing, dish washing and clothes washing.

The staff are friendly, helpful and informative.

Dogs are welcome both on the site and on the beach which is a short walk across the sand-dunes.

All that and a pub at the bottom of the driveway serving great beer and food!

Locally, there is a beach cafe and sports centre a short walk from the site and St Ives is a few miles drive away.

Reviewer: Simondawn 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here last august weather was great. Pitches were a little close but had plant barriers between which was great small shop on size with freezing ice block facility. Site and toilets very clean and well cared for. A ideal place to stay with children sea and surf walking distance but a short drive is easier. Have rebooked for this year for a 1 and 2 week holiday, could be better with more electric hook ups for tents.

Reviewer: Tmif 8 reviews from this member

I can't really add much more to the reviews than what is already written here, but I will witter on for a while anyway.

This site was my first foray back into the world of camping, and I think I might have spoiled myself :)

We booked last minute, and apparently got the very last spot on the site. We arrived at about 6pm on Friday after work and was greeted by a very cheerful man who told us where we were to go, gave us a map, some wifi codes for our collection of electronic gadgetry and wished us a lovely holiday.

The arrivals/reception area was fine for us - but I only had a little car - I am not so sure it would have worked so perfectly if there were three or four caravans all arriving at the same time.

The actual pitches were lovely - all separated with pretty little fences and plants. (There were two together and then a little fence all the way along. )

It was extremely windy that first night. Really really awful. Not the site's fault, but perhaps something to be considered. If there bad wind forecast maybe consider slightly in land.

The location of the site is wonderful too. Near the beach, a short drive to an Aldi (for that continental camping experience), there's a little Co-op nearby too. If you go into Hayle there's a wonderful pasty shop. You can't go to Cornwall without sampling their traditional fayre - and Phillip's pasties are the best.

Back to the actual site - in my opinion it's perfect. I love it. I would go there all the time. Friendly owners, nice layout, flat pitches, well made roads/paths, beautifully clean showers - complete with adequate shelves/hooks for clothes and a little seat in the shower (for those moments when you can't get your socks on!) I can't remember if there is a shop.

There's a nice little pub in the village - but book. We tried to go twice and it was full. Food is lovely though, if you can get in.

My only small semi-moan is the booking process. I would much rather be able to actually book on-line in real time. Currently, you have to complete a form and someone emails you back - you then make further contact to pay the balance. I would just be happier having a little availability checker online which you can boo there and then. Nothing serious, would just make it better imho.

I don't have kids, but they all seemed adequately occupied. There were loads of them, darting about on bikes/scooters 'n' stuff. I don't know if there were or even should be rules about such things. I think there probably should be. A bit dangerous perhaps. Ride your bike/scooter, kick your balls and throw your frisbies in the play field kids. That's why it's there!

Love it there.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Grahamandsam 13 reviews from this member

Just returned from 17 day holiday at this site so was certainly present over the period of the negative reviewer below and am surprised by the comments over cleanliness of wash rooms and gangs of children.

The advantage of this website is that you get information from real people and it can be a valuable resource to look at members previous reviews as there may be a common theme in people's perceptions.

The site facilities are spotless, and were cleaned at least 3 times per day by two ladies who live on site.

I personally thanked them before leaving for how they kept the facilities so clean over the busy holiday period, I haven't made such a gesture before on other sites.

I did have to wait for a toilet/shower on a couple of occasions but only for a couple of minutes.

Site location, maintenance is spot on and it is very quiet after 9pm with an excellent pub opposite serving lovely food-you must book during summer season though if you want to eat.

I cannot fault this site and we will certainly return.

I have two young children who made lots of good friends and loved playing on the wide open field for ball games.

This is probably the best site we have ever stayed on and we had a fantastic holiday.

Previous     241 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 30      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (West)   -   Search for a site

Win a KAMEI Husky L Roof Box worth £225! Win a Coolbox Cool Ďní Store Package worth over £235!

UKCS Meet Summer Motorhome & Caravan Show 9 - 11th June