Visitor Reviews - Hillend Caravan & Camping Park

Hillend
Llangennith
Swansea
Glamorgan   (Browse area)
SA3 1JD   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m

Open: April To October

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  62 in total, now showing 13 to 18                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11

Reviewer: Callycamper 6 reviews from this member

Reviews as far back as summer 2007 comment that the shower blocks need updating and 2yrs on this is still the case. The cubicles are small and very dated. You have to buy tokens to operate them and we weren't told this on arrival, so I went for a shower 7am next morning to find I had to wait until the shop opened at 9am to get a token. They cost 25p each, so you need to factor this in to the overall costs; we paid 24.00 per night plus tokens so it wasn't cheap. The hot water comes from a combi boiler, so if you're the first to shower I would advise you to run a hot tap at one of the sinks so that the hot water goes through the pipes. I didn't know this and the first time I took an early shower it took ages for the water to get hot, consequently I ran out of hot water half way through rinsing my hair. The water just goes off, so I couldn't even rinse it in cold. Also in the lower block, the showers last for a different amount of time - shower 2 lasts much longer. Again in the lower block there are just 3 sinks and one plug! They're very close together so there's a lack of privacy, in fact it was not possible for 3 people to use the sinks comfortably. Also one set of hooks was hanging off the wall. I did have a look at the shower cubicles in the upper block. There are 3 of them but they looked even more dated that those in the lower block, so I gave them a miss. The views from the camp site over Port Eynon bay are stunning, although this is absolutely not the best beach. Within easy walking distance there's a pub, cafe and fish n chip shop. We only visited the fish n chip shop once, very nice fish but pricey.

Reviewer: Lov Lou 1 review from this member

The draw to this campsite was the surfing beach, the sight on the surface seemed to have it all, yes clean toilets, plenty of room around pitches, little noise. The shame was the quantity of people for the little facilities. Example 6 Showers in the ladies and hundreds and hundreds of people, obviously had little water left for shower and no warmth, fine at 7am or 9 at night. There were 4 fields and believe it or not only toilet shower block and play area were back 3 and 4 fields away by the beginning of the kidless zones!

The area was beautiful ie worms head walk was surreal, LLanmadoc fort with amazing views and wild ponies, and the beach beautiful and surf was great. Locals were very friendly and helpful. Fellow campers raved about Swansea market being well worth a visit.

A shame our friends and ourselves felt we have been to no other sites as inconvenient as this for facilities, and strongly advise site to provide more water points, and another similar size toilet shower block 2/3 of the way across site to lessen distances and provide for volume of people.

Reviewer: Lukepricey 2 reviews from this member

Having planned my camping trip to an absolute tee I thought I was in for a brilliant week at Hillend Campsite in Llangennith.

Having camped here as a teenager (about 8 years ago!), and visiting many times in the car for daytrips I had good experiences of Hillend. I also know that there is NO advance booking here so I contacted the campsite by phone and email before my holiday to get the best advice as to the best times to get a pitch. They told me exactly what it states on their website 'we don't take advance bookings but we guarantee that we take all new arrivals between sunday and thursday' they told me to turn up early and between these dates. We got there early at about 9am on a rainy wednesday, I asked the lady in the kiosk for a pitch and she took a long outward breath and said 'NO, FULL.' I then asked her if a pitch is likely to become available later in the day or the next and she just said 'NO. Try Kennextone' and walked back into the kiosk. We reversed and drove away.

It really is a lottery to get on this site. Do not pin your holiday plans on a week in Hillend, have a backup campsite

Reviewer: Davidgh 2 reviews from this member

Wonderful Beach just over the dunes - surfers paradise.

Showers - Best ever (except Denmark!)

Shop - well stocked and reasonable

Fields - can be a bit damp in wet weather!

Superb playground

Well patrolled and quiet at night

Beach - dunes now regularly cleaned

What a beautiful place

Good pub in Llangenith - the Kings Head - good food and beer - pretty busy place though

No Booking is a drawback

Also not very protected from the south west!

Reviewer: Lacybates 1 review from this member

Having found this site on ukcampsite we visited for a weekend to check it out for bringing the children later in the month and have found it fabulous.

Great facilities - never had to queue for showers, loos or washing up.

Lots of space - although some of the fields were a bit wet!

We arrived on Friday lunchtime and had lots of choice where to set up but by the evening it was full then by Sunday evening lots of space again.

Great atmosphere, good shop where you can hire ice packs, everyone very helpful. Didn't get to Eddy's before closing but will try it out with the kids next time.

Just a few minutes walk from the fabulous Rhossili beach with lots going on and loads of space for everyone.

Looking forward to bringing the children later in the month for a few days - fingers crossed for the weather.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jaymondo 1 review from this member

Plus points - close to a great surfing beach, clean and modern toilets.

On the downside- very basic field, boggy, very very very long walk to the toilets, and extremely agro staff.

This site really needs to sort out its identity and who it wants to attract. We had came to this area and site to surf, when we drove past the surf shop, pub full of surfers, saw the beach the tonnes of surfboards, kite surfers etc we thought we had hit the jackpot. Even the guys on reception/security (not locals, obvious surfers from London and Birmingham) initially seemed to be having a laugh and seemed to be more laid back than Katie Price.

If you want to attract surfers and other water sport enthusiasts, you must expect some noise, (not too much I will agree) but to have a high powered torch shined in your face every 2 minutes if you take a step outside your van and even dare to breath a quiet word, and to have 4 intimidating security guards banging on both sides of your van saying you must keep it down now its 1030 is totally not acceptable.

I can understand the campsites need to keep noise down for families etc, but almost all the families we could see were all still up and having a laugh and the kids were making more noise than anyone.

The field we were put in, was a good 10-15 minutes walk from the toilet block and the track was 3 foot of mud and unlit, not surprisingly most people were just urinating around the field and in a old tumbled down shed- where there was even evidence that people had been having number 2's.

Lack of facilities and a poor campsite are not a problem for us as we just want to be with our friends and have great surf, however the way the security dealt with people is the reason we probably will not go back to this site again.

My recommendation for this site is to allow people who want to be social to pay their £20 to use the bottom muddy field (with no water, waste bins or toilet facilities)let them have a party atmosphere and let the families have the nice quiet site 10 minutes walk up the track, have a midnight curfew - everybody’s happy!

Previous     62 Review in total, now showing 13 to 18      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Glamorgan   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth £467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!