Visitor Reviews - Cofton Country Holidays

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Cofton Country Holidays
Starcross
Dawlish
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
EX6 8RP   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0800 0858649  or  01626 890111

5m  5m  5m  5m  1m   10m  1m  5m

Open: All Year Round

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  191 in total, now showing 21 to 30                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20

Reviewer: Vee4 Gaz 3 reviews from this member

We have just come back from a lovely week away at Cofton and will be going back.

The facilities were great, shop was very well stocked and not too expensive, the staff in reception were brilliant, even when my car got stuck on the low wall opposite reception (my otherhalf was trying to do an impression of the Italian Job!).

We were shown to our pitch on the 12 acre field (basic camping, no electric), which was perfect and the view from the tent was lovely, surrounded by countryside. What more could you ask for when listening to the whistle of the kettle boiling and the smell of bacon cooking?

However, on a slightly negative side, the portacabin shower block could have been cleaner, the sinks and toilets were fine, but the shower cubicles were a little dirty, so we decided to use the 'posh' ones a bit further away. But hey, exercise is good for you!

We only used the café once and we thought the food was a tad on the expensive side for a holiday park. But there is a big Sainsburys just around the corner.

But the site on the whole was very clean and tidy.

The out door pool was great fun, we didn't need to venture into the indoor pool and who goes to the gym when they're on holiday :)

There was security patrol at night time. , which was nice to see.

So all in all a fab time was had.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Moriartyw 13 reviews from this member

Not a complaint but, shall we say 'Constructive Criticism?'

Stopped at this beautiful campsite this August and was reasonably happy with our pitch at first. The surrounding area was nice, the facilities were excellent and the toilets were generally superb. It was the height of the season so I expected to queue for the showers but in ten days it happened only the once from memory.

I have waited this long to comment for a number of reasons. One, we had a family bereavement and two; I needed to calm down and think carefully how I would write this!

Observations…

Tents vs. Caravans.

In over forty years of camping in all manner of things from tents to trailer tents, a bivouac and caravan’s I have never, ever, camped anywhere where a tent is beside a caravan. A Trailer or camper yes, but Tents are generally separated. Strange, but I think I am correct! Tents and caravans do not mix, this was evident over this holiday.

Camp fires.

As much as I like a BBQ, campfires on a camp site each in close proximity, are absolutely wrong. Having someone’s smoky fire billowing wood smoke through your caravan windows is definitely off putting!

Ball games, or similar.

In a properly specified area is acceptable. But, teenagers throwing balls, foam whistling bombs, playing football is just not acceptable. A whistling foam bomb dents a caravan and so does a ball. The argument for a repair bill would be horrendous! Yes, we suffered most of the above…!

Camp safety. ,

Staff whizzing around on buggies at quite excessive speed is not good. Young children and adults or, the aged and infirm, will eventually get hurt. If no one has to date, then its getting close to the time someone will.

Access.

That narrow lane just passed the swimming pool on the way up to Barnfield, where we stayed, is just not acceptable. I knew all week, that when I left, I would meet a caravan coming the other way. I did! Rip out the central reservation and make it easy access!

What really is funny in my mind, apart from the above, is that the site was superb! I only have one real gripe, barely worth mentioning and would cost little to correct.

In the shower cubicles there was a distinct lack of hat and coat pegs!

Getting really picky…

•an adult swim session at the end of the day would be good

•extra hand dryer in the toilet would be useful

•overflow pipes in sinks were dirty/close to blocked

•Barnfield could do with a better water facility as dragging an Aqua roll up that hill at my age (57 ¾) in the wet was bordering on dangerous!

Would I come back?

For the facilities and the location… definitely! But, not until I was assured all the main points were covered in someway!

Don't get me wrong it is an excellent site but somehow I feel the management is lacking in some way!

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: DevonDeb 3 reviews from this member

We have stayed at Cofton on numerous occasions. It is the best site we have ever visited, and we will continue to stay there when we can.

The reception is friendly, efficient and very helpful.

The shop is large and very well stocked.

The outdoor pool is great and lifeguard in attendance. The indoor pool and fitness suite are a massive hit with our teenagers and grandchildren too.

The pitches are well serviced, level and have electric hook up and water.

The shower and toilet blocks are scrupulously clean and well thought out. There is a shelf area above the toilet so you can put your towels and clothing there rather than on the floor.

They pipe music into the block which is a lovely touch.

The showers have plenty of room, are thermostatically controlled and do not keep turning off during showering. There is a dressing area as part of your cubicle and your clothes are protected from getting wet.

There is a lovely play oark for the little ones, and donkeys in the top of the field.

There are lovely fishing lakes to walk around on site and ducks love to be fed.

The laundry and the Games room are excellent too.

We love to walk through the woods from the site to Dawlish Warren and around the area.

There is a very large Sainsbury's nearby including fuel station and carwash.

I rate this site as a 5 star. It is our number 1 site so far.

Reviewer: Tiredworking 5 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a full week. It was absolutely lovely the best site we have ever been too. The campsite is very well kept no matter where you pitch your tent. We arrived and was offered a number of areas to choose from just pick where you want. Ideal no pressure we walked around and found the perfect pitch not far from the fishing lakes. It was lovely sun all day.

We tried the restaurant twice very nice no complaints for dinner and for breakfast on the morning we left. Used the outdoor pool to cool down in the amazingly hot temperatures it was great it looked really busy but once in there was plenty of room to cool down.

The on site shop hires you out cool cubes for your cool box which we really needed. The shop was reasonably priced and well stocked. We also found that there was a Sainsbury's just down the road.

The toilets and showers were always clean I even met the very quite cleaners at 5. 04am who whispered good morning! There were a number of workers on the site all very friendly and well turned out. My only gripe and I am being petty is on one of the evenings in the restaurant two of the female staff were not as friendly as their fellow staff which left me feeling I bit uncomfortable about going back. So used a different restaurant the next night.

I have said it already but this really is the best site we have ever been to.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dinx 6 reviews from this member

Just come back from 10 days stay at this site with group of friends four caravans in total. This is a large site I was shown to pitch by staff but friends on pitch next to me were not and had to find own pitch. The pitch was large and flat but very hard to hammer pegs in for awning gravel with concrete underneath. Other two vans were at the other end of park even though we booked in January and requested to be close if possible couldn't be further away if they tried. This site has very good facilities and all looked very new pub/club restaurant/ kids play area excellent only gripe outdoor pool freezing I would not go in and you have to pay to use indoor pool. We all had meals in restaurant and food good service quick. The toilets shower facilities were very clean and there were lots of them could do with few more water points about the site. Overall this is nice clean large site with friendly staff.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Tim Smith 8 reviews from this member

Just spent the half term holiday here with the wife and two teenage kids. This site has a lot going for it - the tent pitches are fairly flat and quite large, although we did notice that the modern tent is getting quite big nowadays, and we did have one night when we got back to the tent to find that a new neighbour had parked their car in our pitch area and we had to park elsewhere. But they were only there for a couple of nights and subsequently parked in the vacant pitch on their other side.

The toilet and shower blocks were clean and tidy and were kept in good order, with soap dispensers at the wash hand basins.

The showers were excellent with lashings of lovely hot water.

The entertainment facilities were just about the best I have come across in the UK, with something for the kids during the day and something for us big kids in the evening.

The outside pool looks very continental, but our teenage crash test dummies said that it wasn't heated - maybe not to their standards, but they chose to pay £1. 95 per day to splash about in the indoor pool. We didn't begrudge paying that amount - we were glad to be rid of them for a couple of hours whilst we relaxed in the comfortable lounge, sipping our latte and digging into a slice of cake.

If I had to make a criticism, it is that the site has virtually no TV coverage, which is not the fault of the site, but we also found that we couldn't pick up the site's Wi-Fi, which had my teenage son almost at the point of tears.

Would we go back to Cofton? You bet we will!

Date of Visit: April 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: RIMMER 124 reviews from this member

Second time here on a 5 day discounted break-just over £73- which included ehu on a hardstanding pitch by the lake and TV point. As other comments a nice site, good toilets, free powerful showers, friendly staff. Two GBG listed pubs are within 10min walking distance, cycle path also nearby which can take you to Exeter or the other way to Dawlish. Bus stop not far from reception that also goes to Exeter or Newton Abbot, runs every 20mins until quite late. Didn't use the on-site facilities but looks good for familys though not many familys here during our stay as was out of season and very quiet.

Date of Visit: April 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Pepe la Pew 4 reviews from this member

Just got home from a couple of nights at Cofton to blow away the winter cobwebs. What a lovely site. The reception staff are very friendly and all the staff we came across seemed to like their jobs. Shower/toilet blocks are spotless (I liked the piped music, as I don't like deathly quiet ones, where all you can hear is someone else doing their 'ablutions'!)

There is large variety of pitches, the site is very clean with no litter. The new pool/spa complex is lovely and the new cafe/restaurant food is gorgeous and good value for money. Although we didn't have children with us, the play facilities seemed good. The only thing that concerned us was that it sounded like someone was murdering their donkey this morning.

Would definitely recommend a trip despite the noisy donkey!

Date of Visit: March 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: ClaireMike21 36 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a weekend without the kids. Our pitch was right next to the lakes with was lovely but the birds woke me up at 5am each morning coming in to land.

The site looked really good but we used or looked at none of the facilities but would go back again to try them out.

We went to try out our electric bikes, fab cycle paths and we went to Dawlish Warren then on to Dawlish.

The pub down the road at the harbour was superb, ate their twice, have the surf and turf hanger, something different.

Date of Visit: February 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: 1_man_+_his_dob(lo) 33 reviews from this member

Stayed for 5 nights on grass + EHU - I was able to pick my pitch which was a challenge because there was only one field available and even though it was almost empty it was pretty muddy, particularly on the semi-hardstanding areas. I eventually found a good spot on thick grass near the top gate and static home, alongside the entrance road which was quiet during the night.

There was a discount of 25% for bookings of 5+ nights. Most of the site was closed in February, with the indoor swimming pool, health spa and cafeteria open to the public.

The one facility block below the field had a toilet/washbasin room and a toilet/shower room, with piped commercial radio during the day (aaaarghhh!). Dishwashing facilities were under cover outside. The block next door contained a large laundrette, bar (closed) and CDP. Plenty of facility blocks (closed) were scattered across the site.

TV (digital), mobile (O2) and 3G ('3') reception was good; analogue radio was OK. Fresh and grey water points were a short walk away.

Staff were very friendly when I arrived; I did not see much of them after that other than the first afternoon I arrived, when the field was mowed/strimmed for several hours.

Cockwood is about a 15 minute walk away as you head to Starcross (about 15 minutes further on) and has a couple of pubs. Starcross has a convenience store and pharmacy on the main road, along with the railway station. Dawlish Warren can be reached by foot from the back of the site, though the woods, in less than an hour. In the other direction Exeter is about a 15 minute drive - I visited Topsham across the estuary for the RSPB reserve at Bowling Green and nearby viewing platform, but parked and stocked up at Dart's Farm shopping centre just outside the town and walked in, due to the limited parking.

The main reason for visiting the area was the RSPB avocet cruise from Starcross, a 3+ hour guided boat tour of the estuary during the winter. Very good, but wrapping up in several layers is recommended!

I would not use the site other than during the winter season because, being a leisure park, it'll be a completely different place during the normal camping season and expensive for solo campers. But for an extended winter visit to the area I would probably stay again.

Previous     191 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 30      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers