Visitor Reviews - Machrihanish Caravan And Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Scotland > Argyll > Site Reviews

Machrihanish Caravan And Camping Park
East Trodigal
Argyll   (Browse area)
PA28 6PT   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m   5m

Pitches: 50 pitches and Wigwams for Hire from 10 per night
Open: Feb Till Oct And Dec

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  52 in total, now showing 13 to 18                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
Win 100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Iain18669 1 review from this member

What a lovely site, next to Macrihanish Golf Course. I spent 6 nights here with my Son. The staff were friendly the site was full with Motorhomes, Caravans, static Caravans, wigwams Bell tents and tents. Weather was good too. There is a pub/restaurant about 1/2 mile in Macrihanish. Campbeltown is 5miles away and Southend - Mull of kintyre is about 11 miles with 2 beaches and a really good tea room.

This Campsite is well worth a visit.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Npabu 1 review from this member

Well what can I say about this wee gem of a site. Firstly the warden is just fantastic, He made us feel so welcome from the minute we rolled in. This site is not for you if you want the bells and whistles instead of the calmness and scenery. There is a basic toilet block but very clean, a wee shop and on site laundry facility. There is crazy golf and a lovely hidden garden by the river. There is a lovely beach nearby and also a bird watching hut just at the end of Machrihanish. Campbelltown is a short drive away and there are buses that go right by the gate.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: D1haj 1 review from this member

We stayed for a week at Machrihanish Holiday Park. The park is well laid out. There was a warm welcome from the warden (who sensibly tries to discourage drunken bikers from disrupting the life of the site to the benefit of all other users). There is a well stocked shop, a fun crazy golf area, a beautiful wild garden, FANTASTIC views of the beach, and a superb dog walking area. The static caravans are the ultimate in luxury - fridge, freezer, central heating, microwave, hot shower, plenty of storage places, 32' TV and blu-ray DVD. Immaculate and well appointed. Beautiful views of the beach. A short (10 minute) walk to Machrihanish itself where there is a world renowned golf course, plenty of restaurants and an amazing beach. This is a place of calm and tranquillity. The nicest caravan park I've ever been to. Come. Stay. Come back again.

Reviewer: Grahmd 5 reviews from this member

I stayed here for a few nights. I never got shown where facilities were.

The showers wouldn't work mid day which I found very bad as every other place I have been they work at all times.

There was lack of facilities, only 1 shower and 2 toilets for the whole site.

The site is in a peaceful location and shop is 10 minute drive.

Price is cheap compared to other sites but I'd rather pay more and get better quality

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jimbo8098 2 reviews from this member

We came as a group of 20 motorbikes. The campsite was situated very nicely, about 4 miles from campbelltown, just far enough to be away from it all but close enough to be a short drive or cycle away. The area was very scenic with the sea and golf course only a short walk away. There was a little garden, nice and quiet and just out of the campsite where the kids may be able to play.

The camp was quite small in comparison to other campsite I have visited but still big enough to have plenty room. The facilities on site were ok with the usual shower, toilet and sink, with shaver outlet. The toilets were ok but I have seen better paint jobs. There was a closed off dish washing area and even a small on site shop. I never found what was in it though.

There was a drinking water tap not far away from the tent are and 2 big mounds of dirt either side of the pitching area which, I suppose, was used to keep the wind off the tents as the campsite did get very windy.

There was a small crazy gold course (50p) and a little dog walking area with poo bin nearby (nice touch!)

The price was ok at 6. 50 per person per night, although I have seen a bit cheaper.

There are a few downsides to this park. The first was there are power pylons not too far away from the park. It's more of a safety thing than anything. Since its a windy place, it would be good to fly the odd kite there but that stops that happening (unless you want a nasty shock)

The bins were all in one place, there were no bins around the park. In the far corner of the park, very near the entrance, there was a bin area with normal bins and various glass recycling bins. But it meant we had to walk from one end of the park, to the other, to dump out rubbish. And those were some heavy bags! No harm done though, I can now lift a small car

The only other downside was the warden. He was quite rude. We are quite a noisy ol bunch and obviously, swear a bit. Now considering the fact that there are children about we were ok with being told to shut up (hell, we are used to it!) so we bargained with the warden to shift over to the far side of the park so as not to disturb anyone. I didn't mind that but then came the bit that got me miffed. Money. The charge per person on the site was 6. 50 for the night, fair enough. Since we came as a party of 20, we said 'look, we'll give you 100 for this night's stay', to which he replied something along the lines of 'I might as well not have you here'. Now, if we'd asked to be there that night for 1, then I could see where he's coming from, but for the sake of a small saving for us for what would have been an absolutely shining review.

Maybe he just had a bad day, so I don't hold it against him and many people even say the wardens were nice too, but just a mini-warning.

So overall:

+ Location

+ Facilities

+ Kids Stuff

+ Price (on par)

- Size

- Staff

Given the chance, yes, I would visit again.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: The-monsters 4 reviews from this member

A good if very windy site in a lovely area. Toilets clean and great facilities for campers. Really good dog run which was really appreciated by our Labrador. Crazy golf on site was a hit with the children.

Showers hot and free and washing facilities great.

The wind definitely kept the midges away.

Not as close to the beach as we had imagined but found our way down by driving round the back of the airport and walking through to the most fantastic beach although quite a few jellyfish but I understand this is a country wide issue this year.

Previous     52 Reviews in total, now showing 13 to 18      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a pair of OLPRO Hush Sleeping Bags worth 48.00 Win a HandiMoova Off-road Foldable Hand Trolley!

UKCS Meet Beat at Tencreek 60s Weekend, Cornwall - 14th to 16th October
A Sounds of the Swinging Sixties long weekend concert with camping on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2016