Visitor Reviews - Machrihanish Caravan And Camping Park

East Trodigal
Machrihanish
Campbeltown
Argyll   (Browse area)
PA28 6PT   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m   5m

Pitches: 50 pitches and Wigwams for Hire from 10 per night
Open: Feb Till Oct And Dec

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  49 in total, now showing 13 to 18                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Reviewer: Grahmd 5 reviews from this member

I stayed here for a few nights. I never got shown where facilities were.

The showers wouldn't work mid day which I found very bad as every other place I have been they work at all times.

There was lack of facilities, only 1 shower and 2 toilets for the whole site.

The site is in a peaceful location and shop is 10 minute drive.

Price is cheap compared to other sites but I'd rather pay more and get better quality

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jimbo8098 2 reviews from this member

We came as a group of 20 motorbikes. The campsite was situated very nicely, about 4 miles from campbelltown, just far enough to be away from it all but close enough to be a short drive or cycle away. The area was very scenic with the sea and golf course only a short walk away. There was a little garden, nice and quiet and just out of the campsite where the kids may be able to play.

The camp was quite small in comparison to other campsite I have visited but still big enough to have plenty room. The facilities on site were ok with the usual shower, toilet and sink, with shaver outlet. The toilets were ok but I have seen better paint jobs. There was a closed off dish washing area and even a small on site shop. I never found what was in it though.

There was a drinking water tap not far away from the tent are and 2 big mounds of dirt either side of the pitching area which, I suppose, was used to keep the wind off the tents as the campsite did get very windy.

There was a small crazy gold course (50p) and a little dog walking area with poo bin nearby (nice touch!)

The price was ok at 6. 50 per person per night, although I have seen a bit cheaper.

There are a few downsides to this park. The first was there are power pylons not too far away from the park. It's more of a safety thing than anything. Since its a windy place, it would be good to fly the odd kite there but that stops that happening (unless you want a nasty shock)

The bins were all in one place, there were no bins around the park. In the far corner of the park, very near the entrance, there was a bin area with normal bins and various glass recycling bins. But it meant we had to walk from one end of the park, to the other, to dump out rubbish. And those were some heavy bags! No harm done though, I can now lift a small car

The only other downside was the warden. He was quite rude. We are quite a noisy ol bunch and obviously, swear a bit. Now considering the fact that there are children about we were ok with being told to shut up (hell, we are used to it!) so we bargained with the warden to shift over to the far side of the park so as not to disturb anyone. I didn't mind that but then came the bit that got me miffed. Money. The charge per person on the site was 6. 50 for the night, fair enough. Since we came as a party of 20, we said 'look, we'll give you 100 for this night's stay', to which he replied something along the lines of 'I might as well not have you here'. Now, if we'd asked to be there that night for 1, then I could see where he's coming from, but for the sake of a small saving for us for what would have been an absolutely shining review.

Maybe he just had a bad day, so I don't hold it against him and many people even say the wardens were nice too, but just a mini-warning.

So overall:

+ Location

+ Facilities

+ Kids Stuff

+ Price (on par)

- Size

- Staff

Given the chance, yes, I would visit again.

Reviewer: The-monsters 4 reviews from this member

A good if very windy site in a lovely area. Toilets clean and great facilities for campers. Really good dog run which was really appreciated by our Labrador. Crazy golf on site was a hit with the children.

Showers hot and free and washing facilities great.

The wind definitely kept the midges away.

Not as close to the beach as we had imagined but found our way down by driving round the back of the airport and walking through to the most fantastic beach although quite a few jellyfish but I understand this is a country wide issue this year.

Reviewer: Badger488 1 review from this member

This is the best campsite in Argyll. Friendly, clean and plenty of space. Always made to feel welcome and nothing is a problem. Even with a large tent such as ours.

The location is fantastic, the welcome warm and the facilities are always spotlessly clean and well maintained.

A credit to Dave and Chris who work so hard. This is now our second of what I am sure will be many visits. Already planning to return next year.

Rabbits around you in the morning, sunsets in the evening and a wee dram to send you off to sleep. Who could ask for more. BRILLIANT!

Reviewer: Lewcon 2 reviews from this member

This is a fantastic site, arriving at the site you were shown to a pitch but could ask for somewhere different, he did try to space everyone out so that you had loads of space.

There was two toilet blocks which for the ladies had two toilets and a shower. These were always very clean. There is a caravan set up for campers with a kettle etc but never used this.

There is a small crazy golf set up but again didn't use this. We had an issue of someone driving round the campsite at speed but this was quickly dealt with by the owner.

There is a shop on the site but doesn't sell very much and would recommend take everything with you although Campbeltown is only about 15 mins drive and has a fairly decent Tesco.

Excellent site and would recommend it.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: V+M T 2 reviews from this member

Was at first 'oh no' what have I booked, what are the kids going to do !

Couldn't have had a more relaxing week if I tried, the site is on the small side with two toilet blocks, these could get busy when site is full, didn't have any probs getting showers or toilet over the whole week, wife & kids the same.

Toilets clean and fresh.

Shop very basic.

Site only got small crazy golf, (which is 50p ago, no time limit as far as my lot told me)for kids could do with something else for kids, swing, chute, or such likes.

Owners very helpful, nothing to much to ask.

Walks on beaches stunning, water cold but very very clean and inviting (surfers dream)

Sun sets over site breath taking !

Would recommend the drive to Mull Kintyre beaches simply stunning, kids loved the rock pools, crabs, starfish, seals.

Short walk to Machrihanish beach is through the golf cse, (Dave will advise you how to get about to them all) once there you have 4 miles of fantastic beach to strech your legs and the dogs.

Campbelltown has a tesco & co op with other local shops, ( approx 5min drive from site )

Drive down A83 can be a bit tiring due to the amount of bends and traffic, views on way down great.

Will we be back Yes

P. S from what I seen of the other sites on way to site, I was lucky and picked the best located as the others are a bit of a distance for shops etc.

Previous     49 Reviews in total, now showing 13 to 18      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a KAMEI Husky L Roof Box Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally and Camping Weekend 4th to 5th July
HURRY Advanced booking now open - 3 nights camping in any unit, and admission to rally all weekend