Visitor Reviews - Gwithian Farm Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Site Reviews

Gwithian Farm Campsite
1 Churchtown Rd
Gwithian, Hayle
St Ives
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR27 5BX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m

Open: April To October

Reviews:  240 in total, now showing 31 to 40                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!
£100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win £100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Reviewer: Salcaz 1 review from this member

This is the first time we have used this site and were very impressed.

The site is very well set out. As there were only 2 of us they put us in a quiet corner out of the way. There is plenty of room for campervans, caravans, trailer tents and general tents. Pitches are of a good size so you are not on top of each other.

The toilet & shower block is very clean and of a good standard. There are plenty of showers with a smaller area within the shower for getting dressed. There are mops and brushes left to clean the shower down after yourself so it is clean for the next person.

There are plenty of toilets which are well stocked with loo roll.

There is a disabled toilet & shower which doubles as a baby change. The only thing I would add to the disabled toilet/shower would be a proper shower chair with wheels. There is a plastic garden chair provided. I might be being a bit picky as I have worked for along time with people with disabilities.

Soap dispensers were well stocked and there are 2 good hair dryers in the ladies.

There is a sandpit, seating area and table tennis table for the kids. It is well kept and securely fenced off.

The shop is well stocked, they will charge your phone/ipad for free. Wifi is free but can be a little difficult connecting to it at times. You can freeze your ice blocks for free too.

The shop is well stocked & staff are helpful.

The ice cream man, chippy van, fish monger and other food people all visit on different days.

You can walk to the beach from the site but it is about a 20min walk up and down hill. The surrounding area to the camp site is beautiful. You are in a good location for visiting other places around cornwall.

There is a pub just by the campsite. It does serve food but is only small so booking is necessary. Half a mile down the road is The Sandsifter. The food is fab but again make sure you book, you don't want to miss out eating there.

Overall its a very well equipped site. I would recommend staying here.

Reviewer: Joannap2109 1 review from this member

Just returned from this campsite and can't rate it highly enough. The facilities are very good and more than adequate. We did queue twice for the showers but then it was at 5. 30pm at the busiest time, and we didn't wait very long. The easiest way to avoid queuing was to go during the quiet tines!

As for the groundsheets we used a breathable one and it was fine. Happy to do so as it definitely helps with the condition of the pitches.

The owners are very helpful and can't do enough for you. I saw the cleaners in the wash rooms several times and I always found the toilets, showers and sinks very clean.

There were lots of kids on site, not surprising given its the summer holidays, and its a family orientated site! My daughter loved the play area and the guinea pigs, and we felt it was a very safe site for her to play on.

The bakery stall every Mon, Wed and Fri was a nice touch and very popular, the danish pastrys were to die for!

This was our first visit (12 nights) and have booked again for next year.

Reviewer: Katebrown12 5 reviews from this member

As a family of 4 we have just returned home again from our fourth visit from this lovely site. It has always been great but it is nice to see improvements and investments over the years we have been visiting for example the work on the roads around the site. The owners are great as ever too and its nice to be recognised as a return customer as they must see hundreds of faces week in week out.

The location is perfect with an easy walk to the cliff tops and beach, a shop on site and also one just over the road. Not forgetting the local Red River Inn very close by. Facilities are great and I for the whole of my stay never had to queue for the showers or washing up facilities, perhaps it was my lie in! but if I kept hitting a peak time for them I guess I would have gone just a little earlier or later. I also never saw dirty facilities with the cleaners in there frequently.

The site was full, its August school hols, and to be expected but at no time to us did it feel crowded/over run with kids. The site has 2 separate play areas for kids and the vast majority abide by this.

We respect the site rules and don't have a ground sheet under our tent, and after staying 8 nights I just needed a handbrush to clean the bottom no fuss. Never saw anyone with one actually and at the end of the day if I was worried about a bit of dirt I wouldn't choose camping!

We had a pitch at the top of the site (our preference) and have had no problems with the short walk to the facilities block.

We absolutely love this place and after visiting Cornwall for many years have not found better value for money. We have already booked for next year, roll on 2014!

Reviewer: 628debc 2 reviews from this member

This has the potential to be a lovely site, but the facilities just aren't up to coping with the number of people on site during the summer holidays. There is only one shower/toilet block on the site and if you are pitched at the top of the field it is a long, dark walk to it in the night. During our 2 week stay I had to queue for the shower on most mornings (one time the queue went right to the shower block door), and usually had to queue for the washing up sinks too. I've never experienced this on any site before. The facilities weren't always very clean either - quite a lot of cobwebs about, and dirt around the plugholes which was easy to remove if you pushed your nail against it.

The other major issue I had was the vast number of children who congregated around the site late into the evening. The site has very limited lighting, and blind corners, and it was quite usual for children on bikes and scooters to be racing around the paths in total darkness at gone 10 o'clock. One evening as I drove into the site there was a group of about 8 children lying across the paths (which are also used by the cars), invisible in the darkness. Very scary! The owners did their best to encourage parents to take responsibility for their children but so many people ignored this. I feel sorry for anyone who has a pitch near to Reception. It will be noisy!

There is a great pub, the Red River Inn, just opposite the site. A visit is well recommended! The site has an ice cream van which comes round most evenings, a fish van on a Tuesday, fish and chip van on Wednesdays and Sundays, a curry van on a Thursday and a bakery van on Mon, Wed & Fri mornings.

The location of the site is excellent for body boarders and surfers, and indeed the majority of the people on site seemed to be there for that reason. The beach can be accessed via a footpath and the sand dunes; it's a challenging walk for anyone with young children or who isn't very fit! There is also access by car, but the carpark fills up very quickly on nice days. Gwithian beach is beautiful with plenty of space for all. Facilities are limited to a rather nice café and some toilets.

And if you were wondering about the ban on footprints specified in the terms of booking and on the board by the Reception. It's a bit of a joke! We duly left our footprint at home and have consequently come home with a filthy tent. And the grass looked just as wrecked too. We saw many people come and go however, and the vast majority seem to ignore the rule entirely. The only member of staff who is ever seen on the site is the guy cutting the grass so it is easy to get away with it. Apparently it's to preserve the grass but if you have a SIG on your tent the grass will still be damaged.

So, all in all, quite a nice site which is probably lovely outside the main holiday period. I've been to better however, and expected more for £31 a night; I guess Cornwall attracts a premium however, and you get more for your money elsewhere.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Stripeyramb 1 review from this member

Having just returned from our third visit to this site, I was very surprised to read the review below and its negative comments. On every stay here we have found the site a positive delight - beautifully laid out and maintained with stunning flower beds etc separating pitches.

With regards to the cleaning of the facilities, I have to say that my views were entirely the opposite of the review below - the site was full to capacity and with many people showering both in the morning and post-beach in the evening, I was impressed at how clean the toilet and shower facilities were and yes, we may have had to queue for a few minutes at busy times, but I would expect this at peak times.

We tended to wash-up in the caravan so I can't really comment on the queues mentioned, although it doesn't seem to have presented a problem for any of the other reviewers.

A key objection for the previous reviewer appeared to be that there were a lot of children on the site and that they appeared to congregate. I have to say that our children stay with us and don't join in the crowd but I never noticed a threatening mob at any time, and would suggest that if the presence of children causes offence to people, they may be better looking for an adults only site as children will naturally want to play outside in the warm and sunny weather and may even want to speak to each other and interact. The point about children on scooters, bikes, or laying in the road is clearly one of parental supervision. Additionally I personally saw one of the owners have a friendly word with a couple of children about riding scooters outside of the permitted area. There is a 5mph speed limit on site, which if adhered to allows perfectly adequate visibility by the cars own headlights. Personally I would never have my children running around the site late at night, but this is an issue for parents and not for the campsite to police. They specify no ball games after 9pm and no unreasonable noise after 10pm, which I feel is wholly appropriate. I also have no doubt that they would be quick to act in the event of any late night disturbance.

The site is fantastically located to explore surrounding areas on foot, by bike, by public transport or by car. The walk to the beach is an easy 10 mins, mostly on a footpath and my children managed this easily. There is a free ice-pack freezing facility, launderette, family shower room, family bathroom (for under 5s) and a wetsuit shower area.

I note there was a comment that the only member of staff seen throughout the stay was the chap who mows the grass - this may well be a deliberate thing, in order that people feel they are being given privacy to get on with their holidays. In reality staff are in the shop at all times during opening hours and cannot do enough to assist with any problems. Out of hours the owners are available at the farmhouse, and there is a board clearly stating this. I also saw both of the owners in evidence around the site during our stay, but maybe others would not have noticed this as they are not uniformed as they would be in a big holiday park.

Overall I cannot praise Gwithian Farm enough - they provide a fabulous, relaxed site where you are free to enjoy your holiday in the way that you wish (providing this does not impinge upon others). We live locally and still love it enough to keep coming back here to camp!

Thanks to all the team who keep it running at such a busy time! You do a great job. :-) xx

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: MCavan75 20 reviews from this member

We spent a week here in August and while we had a great time there were a few reasons why we probably would not return. Firstly the positives -and there are many as endless reviews confirm. The location cannot be beaten - a gorgeous walk across a field, over sand dunes and you arrive at a breathtakingly beautiful beach. The site is really nicely landscaped and this creates privacy to the pitches. This area of Cornwall is stunning and the site is a great base from which to explore. However we just didn't find a it a very friendly site - the owners cannot be held responsible for this but fellow campers/caravanners just didn't smile or seem to want to engage in chat. We spent the previous week at a site where we met so many lovely people. My husband and I couldn't put our finger on why gwithian felt so different but it did. Unfortunately the shower block was not always that clean - old plasters and hairs were regular features and the etiquette of using a mop after showering didn't seem to exist. There was always a queue for the shower, no matter when you went with lots of teenagers who seemed to take ages in the showers. Despite these negative comments I can understand why people would return each year - for those who love spending their days on the beach with their body or surf boards I am sure the site cannot be beaten. I also think the site is more suited to those with older children, although there is a small area with guinea pigs and a sandpit this was not enough to hold our children's interest for long, this made it much harder to meet other children as there was no other communal area. So at the risk of sounding like a real grump, I do think this is a lovely site but just might suit some families more than others!

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: And4maz 1 review from this member

We first visited this site about 6 years ago and have returned every year because it is such a lovely site in a great location. The owners are so friendly and obviously love their site.

It's very well looked after with lots of shrubbery between pitches, the pitches are well positioned and of a good size. There is also room for ball games and we appreciate the 9 pm curfew for ball games as it helps with getting our little one to bed.

The shower block is always clean and I rarely had to queue although my wife and daughters would plan there showers to avoid the busier times. There are family bath and shower rooms and a good washing up area.

A bonus is that the shop is well stocked and well priced, in fact we found it to be cheaper for some things than the shops in Hayle.

With just a 15 min walk to the beach the site is very well situated, we love this stretch of sand it never feels busy and has surf rock pools and golden sand.

We have booked again for may and July next year and we can't wait! Thank you.

Reviewer: Debsannison 1 review from this member

Well what can I say ! Just spent a fabulous 2 weeks at Gwithian Farm with ny husband and 12 year old son.

As we drove over the brow of the hill on arrival the view of St ives bay was absolutely stunning. Gwithian village nestles in a natural dip just behind the most wonderful stretch of fine sandy beach and dunes. The quaint church and local pub directly opposite Gwithian farm.

The site itself is lovely, the thoughtful planning and plantings make the pitches feel nice and private. The large toilet / shower block was always clean and tidy and if you timed it right, no queues. Could probably benefit from another block at the top of the site, but wasn't a problem for us at all.

A 10 minute amble from the top gate over Telly tubby hill (as we christened it) down the winding road to Gwithian beach is an absolute pleasure, and something we did every day to enjoy the fantastic bodyboarding there. The Sunset Surf cafe offers lovely food and drinks and is also a surf shop selling all things surf related. There is also a large carpark right next to the beach.

We took a lovely walk over the dunes to Godrevy lighthouse where there are seals apparently, although we didn't see any. The scenery is simply breathtaking.

The site is perfectly placed for sightseeing/shopping with Camborne and Hayle just a few miles away, there's an Aldi in Camborne and a Lidl in Hayle. St Ives just around the Bay, but do get the park and ride its a lovely train journey along the coastal track and would be far too stressful trying to get a parking space in the town.

We have spent many happy holidays in Cornwall over the years and have never stayed at the same site twice. After staying at Gwithian I can honestly say that we don't need to go anywhere else, its got it all. Will be back again and again. Brilliant !

Reviewer: Chappers2341 11 reviews from this member

Have stayed at gwitthian farm many times in the past but this was our first visit for a few years.

The site has matured nicely with planting between the generally flat pitches to break the site up a little.

The owners are as welcoming as ever and don't seem to have lost any of the enthusiasm they have for the site.

The showers as ever are spotless with plenty of hot water and never any queues, with washing up and family bathrooms around the back. The shop is well stocked with grocery essentials as well as camping and beach supplies.

There are free freezers to freeze your ice packs but I would bring plenty as it takes a good couple of days to freeze them, what with everyone opening and closing the freezers and putting in their unfrozen packs. We just used ice, which is also sold in the shop.

Across the road is the excellent Red River Inn and also right outside is the bus stop.

The site is a short walk over the dunes to both a dog friendly and non dog beach and the SW coastpath.

Would we stay here again? Yes in fact we never stay anywhere else in Cornwall.

Thanks again for another wonderful stay

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Joaniebiker 2 reviews from this member

Great site booked originally for 4 nights and ended up staying for 14!

Pitches are attractive with lovely planting between them and across the site.

Great location with beautiful beach 15 mins walk away across a field and sand dunes. Sunset surf cafe near beach does a great breakfast and the pub is handy being just across the road. Easy access to coastal path and some great walks in area

Showers clean and not too busy even though the site was full due to the glorious weather.

Good location for site seeing as near to A30 so access to west Cornwall is easy.

Previous     240 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 40      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (West)   -   Search for a site

Three Car Seat Protectors / Hammocks to be won Win an Outwell Flagstaff 5a Inflatable Tent Package worth over £1000

UKCS Meet Volksworld Show, Sandown Park, Surrey - 25th to 26th March
Europe`s largest VW Show with 100s of cars inside and out, traders, live music and more ...more