Visitor Reviews - Keswick Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Keswick Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Crow Park Road
Keswick
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA12 5EP   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m

Open: 20 Feb 2014 - 04 Jan 2015

Reviews:  142 in total, now showing 19 to 24                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24

Date of Visit: March 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Gary6512 1 review from this member

Just had our first visit to this site and area. Having read some of the previous post I must say I was expecting a fantastic location which we got. This area is walkers/ dog owners paradise.

The approach road is newly laid billiard smooth Tarmac. At the entrance we were met by members of the very friendly and helpful staff who directed us to the reception where again the staff were very polite and gave helpful info on the location.

We were shown to our allocated pitch but given a choice of several to choose from. The pitches were of a good size and the ground was not at all soggy.

There are a number of newly laid pitches on site which may take a little time for the grass to recover but it was never a problem and there was no muddy patches.

One of the 2 toilet blocks was shut whilst it was being remodelled, the block that was open looked to have already been painted and was very clean.

The sites location is very close to the lovely town of Keswick which has plenty of shops/ pubs and a Booths supermarket.

There are fantastic walks around the lake.

All in all a fantastic place which we will certainly return to

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: CK+B 30 reviews from this member

Our second visit to this site, which is in an amazing location right on the edge of Derwentwater.

I agree that the facilities are getting a bit dated, but we are not too bothered by this as we have our own facilities on board.

Our main problem this time was trying to get out of the mud everywhere, we were on an older style hardstanding pitch at the back of the site, but still surrounded by mud, which became duck ponds! I know the site can't help the weather, but with a large dog to try and clean each time you get back in the motorhome, it becomes a pain.

I think for this reason, we will probably try another site in the area next year.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Styve100 13 reviews from this member

I camped here for two reasons, get a late summer break for me, kayaking and cycling and sus the site out for somewhere to take my kids on holiday next year.

I read the other reviews and will comment on the toilet block I think, get that out the way.

Yes they are a bit dated, a bit mildewy in the ceiling by the showers.

But you have weigh up the cost of replacing them and also the importance of 'any' facilities.

I guess that, those that complained are probably in a very expensive caravan with full equipment and expect beautiful shower blocks, those camped in small tents at the foot of the lake are probably glad of any hot water and a toilet.

I guess in that case you have to take it in context, any facilities are better than none. I guess it also comes down to cost, and that's where the main difference is, when you start to pay a premium price for a pitch with a larger tent and or with electric on any pitch, you expect facilcities to match and I think that's where the argument is valid.

The site is within a few hundred yards of keswick and immediately to 2 supermarkets, there is a coop further on from booths, (which is not a cheap supermarket).

Keswick is a wonderful place to wander round, and I could never tire of that, there are places to eat and cater for kids.

There is an adventure pool. Which would be great for kids on rainy days it has a wave machine I think and flumes.

I kayaked round the lake you pay a small launch fee per day, I also cycled round, both very easy to do in a day. Ashwell bridge is nearby and well worth a visit. Infact it ticks all the boxes so I will be booking for next year.

The site was quite boggy in places unfortunately due to the summer we have had, the ground never had chance to harden.

I felt a bit agrieved that I couldn't have my car on my tent pitch, it does make it a bit hard work on your own carting all the stuff, I think we should be allowed to have the car there for unpacking and packing, its either that or me walking backwards and forwards 56 times, which would be worse? (I did take my car anyhow)

In an tent I have to say there was a bit of road noise from the A66 coming from the west of keswick, this was generally in the week, I don't know about weekends.

Everyone was very friendly and I felt quite safe, the main concern I had about not having my car at the tent was locking the kayak to it at night and my bike, but left the kayak next to the tent generally and it seemed ok, it was what other were doing, there is a gate system for getting in and out, so security is generally ok I guess.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Sammie16 15 reviews from this member

We would definitely recommend this site. Even though we were put in the middle with a big muddy puddle next to us. It rained the first two days we were here and our caravan looked like it had its own moat!

But the position couldn't be more fantastic. 5 mins walk and you are at a nice big supermarket. That is also where the buses stop. That is also where the rest of the shops start. So within 10 mins from your caravan you can be in the High Street. But the wonderful thing was being right next to Derwent Lake. 20 steps and we were at the shoreside. Kids, dogs, adults, boating, everything was going on.

We had wonderful walks including Skiddaw Mountain. Give it a try but be prepared to be out of breath most of the way up - it is very steep. But an easy path to navigate - in fact you don't need a map. Over 3, 000 feet high and wonderful views of Derwent Lake and Bassenthwaite Lake when you get to the top. We actually found it harder coming down. The poor knees and toes suffered a bit!

Plenty of cafes and restaurants. The Pencil Museum just round the corner. Try walking around Derwent Lake. Its approximately 10 miles and is a really lovely walk - fairly level. Walking actually next to the Lake was lovely - no cars.

We would definitely return if we are in the area again. We found the other campers really friendly and the staff too. Toilets clean and launderette reasonable.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Kathryn J 16 reviews from this member

Just returned from Keswick site, very very disappointed. The site is in a great location and we have visited it several times a year for the last few years. However, this will probably be our last visit.

We were pitched on the front, the pitch was too small for our motorhome and we were told that we could not use our canopy. I tried to explain that we had not booked this type of pitch as we wanted to use our canopy and was told by a rude male warden 'tough it's either that pitch or nothing'. Horrible attitude when this is supposed to be a nice relaxing weekend which we have paid peak season prices for.

I agree with other reviews about the showers, they are disgusting with black mould all over the walls and ceiling, and even the shower curtains have dirty black mould on them.

This site falls far below the standard of the Camping and Caravan Club. We are also members of the Caravan Club and would say that their standards of hygiene are exceptionally better.

Be warned that the showers could well be a health and safety issue and are in desperate need of refurbishment

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Andy+Debs 1 review from this member

We're a bit torn with this site.

On the positive side, the Location is fantastic, a 10 minute stroll or 5 minute cycle in to town, supermarket round the corner and 10 minutes round to the Keswick stop of the Derwent launch so no real need to drive anywhere in the town. The staff, I found very friendly too.

I have to echo some previous reviews regarding the facilities blocks; they are dated and in need of refurbishment, although they are kept as clean as possible by the staff and there's no shortage of hot water. They fall below the standard of a club site by some way.

The site really does need to sort out its drainage issues. We had booked a jumbo pitch with EHU due to the size of our awning, and received a phone call the day before arrival saying we probably wouldn't be able to have it due to soft ground but 'we'll fit you in somewhere'.

On arrival we were told we couldn't go on the jumbo pitches as we had a driveaway awning and would probably get stuck going in and out. We could see that even though there had been little rain there were patches of grass fenced off with logs; clearly where there'd been some large puddles.

We ended up waiting around an hour to find a pitch and were eventually put right at the back of the site backing on to the river, a pleasant pitch but to get the van in and out we had to drive through other pitches, which is hardly ideal.

Much to my dismay, a couple of days after our arrival, several large tents with large cars were put on the jumbo pitches which we weren't allowed on; I've no idea if the cars got bogged down or not but it reeks of double standards somewhat when our small camper weighs about the same as an estate car.

Then the heavens opened and stayed open for a good 36 hours, a fair few grass, and hard standing pitches became more than soggy and half of our awning started to float (thanks for sewn in groundsheets). It wouldn't take a mammoth effort to get some proper drainage channels put in to the site, especially given the rainfall in the area, these could also serve as pitch markers if needed.

In all, we'd be happy to return, more so if the facilities were upgraded

Previous     142 Reviews in total, now showing 19 to 24      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers