Trailer Tent Sale

Visitor Reviews - Keswick Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Keswick Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Crow Park Road
Keswick
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA12 5EP   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m

Open: 19 Feb - 03 Jan 2016

Reviews:  159 in total, now showing 31 to 40                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
Win 100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Kathryn J 16 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 3 night stay. The location is fab and there has been a lot of money spent on adding more hardstanding pitches. However, the toilet block facilities are still very poor and are in desperate need of refurbishment. The lower block is full of cobwebs and mould on all the tiles and ceiling. The site was full, obviously the new hardstanding pitches are bringing the money in, c. Mon Keswick upgrade your toilet blocks.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Coansha 2 reviews from this member

Stayed 2 nights and overall site was OK but would look for another when next visiting Keswick.

Positives.

Good position

Clean amenities (agree they are old but were functional and clean)

Negatives

Wet ground with lying water in many places

Lower field far too far from amenities (much better would be pitches close to entrance)

Overall feels much more set up for caravans. Camping feels like poor relations. Poor field, far from amenities.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Chrisfromyork 1 review from this member

We stayed here for 4 nights during the half term break, and had a wonderful time on the whole.

On arrival, we were advised that after two days of torrential rain, the site was saturated, so one of the assistants (Bruce) took us round to find a pitch without standing water, which we managed to locate in the field closest to the entrance/exit. Credit to the site because they tried to ring us the day before to advise us of the weather issue and to give us the option of cancelling.

It was hell getting the tent up in the rain, but one of the caravanners nearby put his coat on and ran over to help out. Top man.

Facilities all seem up to standard - toilets are clean, plenty of sinks and showers. Also plenty of sinks for washing up and hot water always available.

If I was pushed to come up with one thing that bugged me, it's that this is the only site we've come across where you can't use your own freeze packs. You had to use the site's and at a cost.

Local facilities are superb what with Keswick a five minute walk away. We thought we'd never find anywhere to cater for us at lunchtime, as we had a dog with us and our daughter has coeliac. But The George pub up near Market Square accepts dogs and has a great gluten free selection.

I'd go back in a heartbeat, so would highly recommend the Keswick site to anyone wanting a relaxing time away from home.

Reviewer: Sherrif 23 reviews from this member

Spent two great weeks at this great site. The club have spent a lot of money on improvements to the road, which was well spent as the old road down to the site was full of holes. Security has been improved with automatic barriers on entry and exit. They have made new hard standings as well vast improvements once the grass is sorted out around the site it will be great. Will visit this great site again.

Reviewer: Executive 1 review from this member

We have visited this site for many years twice a year, and what a difference Wardens make, a nice friendly welcome and great booking in facility, and help with pitching unit was good. A number of new hard standing pitches have been added and when the grass around has taken root it will look lovely. Our gripe over the last few years have been the closure of the bottom block of toilets in March and October, even when site was full. But this year they were open and had been renovated and were lovely and warm, a new motorhome point was being installed when we left. The road has been very well resurfaced into the site and a one way system installed to go in and out. There I am in no doubt will be even more improvements with this lovely new group of caring wardens, see you in October.

Reviewer: Gary6512 1 review from this member

Just had our first visit to this site and area. Having read some of the previous post I must say I was expecting a fantastic location which we got. This area is walkers/ dog owners paradise.

The approach road is newly laid billiard smooth Tarmac. At the entrance we were met by members of the very friendly and helpful staff who directed us to the reception where again the staff were very polite and gave helpful info on the location.

We were shown to our allocated pitch but given a choice of several to choose from. The pitches were of a good size and the ground was not at all soggy.

There are a number of newly laid pitches on site which may take a little time for the grass to recover but it was never a problem and there was no muddy patches.

One of the 2 toilet blocks was shut whilst it was being remodelled, the block that was open looked to have already been painted and was very clean.

The sites location is very close to the lovely town of Keswick which has plenty of shops/ pubs and a Booths supermarket.

There are fantastic walks around the lake.

All in all a fantastic place which we will certainly return to

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: CK+B 38 reviews from this member

Our second visit to this site, which is in an amazing location right on the edge of Derwentwater.

I agree that the facilities are getting a bit dated, but we are not too bothered by this as we have our own facilities on board.

Our main problem this time was trying to get out of the mud everywhere, we were on an older style hardstanding pitch at the back of the site, but still surrounded by mud, which became duck ponds! I know the site can't help the weather, but with a large dog to try and clean each time you get back in the motorhome, it becomes a pain.

I think for this reason, we will probably try another site in the area next year.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Styve100 14 reviews from this member

I camped here for two reasons, get a late summer break for me, kayaking and cycling and sus the site out for somewhere to take my kids on holiday next year.

I read the other reviews and will comment on the toilet block I think, get that out the way.

Yes they are a bit dated, a bit mildewy in the ceiling by the showers.

But you have weigh up the cost of replacing them and also the importance of 'any' facilities.

I guess that, those that complained are probably in a very expensive caravan with full equipment and expect beautiful shower blocks, those camped in small tents at the foot of the lake are probably glad of any hot water and a toilet.

I guess in that case you have to take it in context, any facilities are better than none. I guess it also comes down to cost, and that's where the main difference is, when you start to pay a premium price for a pitch with a larger tent and or with electric on any pitch, you expect facilcities to match and I think that's where the argument is valid.

The site is within a few hundred yards of keswick and immediately to 2 supermarkets, there is a coop further on from booths, (which is not a cheap supermarket).

Keswick is a wonderful place to wander round, and I could never tire of that, there are places to eat and cater for kids.

There is an adventure pool. Which would be great for kids on rainy days it has a wave machine I think and flumes.

I kayaked round the lake you pay a small launch fee per day, I also cycled round, both very easy to do in a day. Ashwell bridge is nearby and well worth a visit. Infact it ticks all the boxes so I will be booking for next year.

The site was quite boggy in places unfortunately due to the summer we have had, the ground never had chance to harden.

I felt a bit agrieved that I couldn't have my car on my tent pitch, it does make it a bit hard work on your own carting all the stuff, I think we should be allowed to have the car there for unpacking and packing, its either that or me walking backwards and forwards 56 times, which would be worse? (I did take my car anyhow)

In an tent I have to say there was a bit of road noise from the A66 coming from the west of keswick, this was generally in the week, I don't know about weekends.

Everyone was very friendly and I felt quite safe, the main concern I had about not having my car at the tent was locking the kayak to it at night and my bike, but left the kayak next to the tent generally and it seemed ok, it was what other were doing, there is a gate system for getting in and out, so security is generally ok I guess.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Sammie16 16 reviews from this member

We would definitely recommend this site. Even though we were put in the middle with a big muddy puddle next to us. It rained the first two days we were here and our caravan looked like it had its own moat!

But the position couldn't be more fantastic. 5 mins walk and you are at a nice big supermarket. That is also where the buses stop. That is also where the rest of the shops start. So within 10 mins from your caravan you can be in the High Street. But the wonderful thing was being right next to Derwent Lake. 20 steps and we were at the shoreside. Kids, dogs, adults, boating, everything was going on.

We had wonderful walks including Skiddaw Mountain. Give it a try but be prepared to be out of breath most of the way up - it is very steep. But an easy path to navigate - in fact you don't need a map. Over 3, 000 feet high and wonderful views of Derwent Lake and Bassenthwaite Lake when you get to the top. We actually found it harder coming down. The poor knees and toes suffered a bit!

Plenty of cafes and restaurants. The Pencil Museum just round the corner. Try walking around Derwent Lake. Its approximately 10 miles and is a really lovely walk - fairly level. Walking actually next to the Lake was lovely - no cars.

We would definitely return if we are in the area again. We found the other campers really friendly and the staff too. Toilets clean and launderette reasonable.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Kathryn J 16 reviews from this member

Just returned from Keswick site, very very disappointed. The site is in a great location and we have visited it several times a year for the last few years. However, this will probably be our last visit.

We were pitched on the front, the pitch was too small for our motorhome and we were told that we could not use our canopy. I tried to explain that we had not booked this type of pitch as we wanted to use our canopy and was told by a rude male warden 'tough it's either that pitch or nothing'. Horrible attitude when this is supposed to be a nice relaxing weekend which we have paid peak season prices for.

I agree with other reviews about the showers, they are disgusting with black mould all over the walls and ceiling, and even the shower curtains have dirty black mould on them.

This site falls far below the standard of the Camping and Caravan Club. We are also members of the Caravan Club and would say that their standards of hygiene are exceptionally better.

Be warned that the showers could well be a health and safety issue and are in desperate need of refurbishment

Previous     159 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 40      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Week Camping Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Parks! Win a pair of Outwell Chairs and Table

UKCS Meet UK Summer Motorhome & Caravan Show 4-5th June
The summer spectacular takes place at the Kent Event Centre. Buy discounted weekend tickets, or enter our competition to win some!

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2016