Visitor Reviews - Badgells Wood

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > Kent > Site Reviews

Badgells Wood
Whitehorse Road
Harvel
Meopham
Kent   (Browse area)
DA13 0UF   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  1m  5m  1m

Open: April - October

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes

Reviews:  34 in total, now showing 25 to 30                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin £200 Walkers Camping Kit and Tent AND £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Reviewer: Tobmac77 1 review from this member

I arrived at the Site on Friday and was kindly greeted at reception, I was informed of where the facilities are etc and I was told where my friends are camping so that I could join them, I was advised that the track to them was boggy and if I needed a tow let them know. I drove down the lane and turned into a logging trail bearing in mind I'm driving an estate car not a 4 x 4, I managed to get to the top of the lane to be met with an impassable bog. This meant I (and friends) had to lug a tent and all the equipment along with two children 30-40m through thick copse to an opening where I could set up (which was lovely once I got to it.

We had a fun evening the only down side was those pesky Mosquitoes we were a mossy buffet.

The following day we went for a walk into the local village of Harvel to the local pub Amazons & Tigers which was a nice pub and nice food (the only down side to walking there with children is the country lanes, people speeding at 60-70 down them so id advise driving to the villlage)

The evening again went well with the BBQs on the go kids had plenty of room to run around in exploring and finding disused Clay pigeons.

I left early the following morning again lugging all the gear to my poor car bogged in but I managed to get it out.

Overall a decent weekend but I wont be rushing back as its not my sought of camping.

Reviewer: Katemi01 3 reviews from this member

So - we turned up and nearly left as promptly as we had arrived - I know it said back to basics, but this was more basic than I had dare to imagine. Thankfully. We did not, and were rewarded with one of the best camping experiences we have had!

We found a lovely clearing in the woods - well Karina helped, and set up, then set about foraging for wood; this together with cooking marshmallows and chocolate bananas in the fire amused the children for hours - not a bit of plastic in sight.

Then the following morning the children spent a couple of hours discovering the trenches.

We had an absolutely fabulous time here - and I usually hate campsites without proper toilets and showers!

I could not recommend it highly enough - even with the portaloos! This was an experience our children will never forget.

Reviewer: Yoni 4 reviews from this member

Best back to basics in the woods campsite ever! Loved every minute of our weekend. Cannot wait to go back.

Shame we wont be able to until next season as it shuts end of August but looking forward to clearing a pitch and making another huge fire before too many people discover this site.

Facilities are minimal but who cares when you get all those woods to explore and walk in. We had a moment of 'The Hills have eyes' but it turned out to be a curious and very health fox.

Reviewer: Tango38 1 review from this member

Booked a campsite in Dorset originally but after a week of thunder storms and unpredictable weather we decided to find something closer to home, that way if the rain came pouring down we could make a quick dash home.

We came across Badgells Woods which turned out to be Brilliant! One of those last minute decisions that probably turned out better than the first. We had the best time!

Called up Thursday to check availability for Saturday, Karina at Badgells was very accommodating with the short notice.

Badgells woods is not far from London and easy to find. Definitely felt like a ‘get away from it all’ with less travelling and more camping time :)

What made it so good was the undeveloped woodlands and simplicity of it all. A great back to nature experience. Portable loos and showers which were sufficient and clean.

There are no pitch numbers, you literally go into the woods and find a clear spot to set up camp.

The grounds are not prepared so be prepared to be camping on uneven grounds, twigs and bare earth just make sure you avoid the stumps.

The best part was building our own open fire, although took a couple of hours the whole process was great fun and full of self-accomplishment. Being in the woodlands we were able to use anything we could find. Searching for fallen twigs and logs to keep our fire going. As the woodlands had been quite damp the owners delivered some dry logs to give us a kick start.

We also hired a grill for £7. 50 to cook over, very strong and big enough to feed 6.

We kept the fire going pass midnight, great to gather around toasting marshmallows and keeping us warm.

Water was available from 8am – 10pm. We made sure we had everything cleaned by then. Pass 10pm we couldn’t see anything, that’s when the fun comes in. Torches out trying to find our way to the toilets.

This was our first time camping and definitely an experience to remember. It was completely relaxing and a truly wonderful, even the rain stayed away. We can't wait to return.

Reviewer: Ashtorj 1 review from this member

Firstly, this is basic camping at its best! No fancy mown lawns or regimented pitches; Just a big wooded area, ample parking, great hosts and maximum relaxation and solitude (if you want it).

Badgells Woods is set amongst a series of large woods, with the entrance leading into a small open area where the reception (and the wonderfully friendly hosts are located).

Once you've checked in (don't forget to collect your campsite map so you can check out the trails and the war trenches), you drive the car down the forest track (which was concrete/tarmac so fine for vehicles) and park at any of a number of small parking areas.

From here, you trek into the woods, as far or as close as you like from your car and set up camp, pretty much wherever you want in the woods. Job done!

The woods are fantastic and dense with plenty of pathways and interesting nooks and crannies to explore (including the WWII trenches and 'possibly' a crashed German aircraft!)

Campfires are allowed (which is brilliant) and the forests are packed with dead wood to build your fire (we never had to venture further than 10 feet from the camp to get fresh wood to keep the fire roaring!)

The campsite currently has portable loos and portable showers which were clean (and cleaned regularly) and did the job perfectly well; this is camping after all !

In addition there is a washing area with sinks/draining area etc. Basically everything you could need to get the job done.

As long as you are the type of camper that enjoys the 'camping' experience then you will love this place - a day here will relax you like a week at some fancy hotel. And you'll leave with all your clothes smelling of sweet campfire smoke!

Reviewer: Hillplodder 1 review from this member

I like a fairly minimalistic campsite and so Badgells Wood is perfect for me. It's intended to be a 'get away from it all' sort of place, and the proprietors plan to keep it fairly wild and undeveloped.

When I visited, it had only been open a week and the site was still very much a work-in-progress. Portable toilets and showers and a couple of washing up sinks make up the facilities, but these are planned to be upgraded to something more permanent in the near future.

Important though the facilities are, the real reason you would want to stay at this site is the experience of camping in the woods. Of course you can camp by your car if you want, but the real fun is to be had by walking into the woods and simply finding a spot that takes your fancy. There are numerous small clearings for this purpose, but some care needs to be taken in finding a pitch as the ground has not been prepared at all - you will camp on twigs, bare earth and even brambles.

Campfires are not only allowed, but are encouraged and you can expect to pay a small fee for this. It is also possible to hire a grill to sit above your fire and cook your food on.

The site is excellent for anyone walking the Wealdway or North Downs Way, being close to both paths, and likely to appeal to anyone backpacking the routes.

If you plan to visit in 2012 then be aware that they are limiting the opening this year, and that this year is very much about seeing if the site works, before going full-on next season.

The couple that run the site are friendly and accommodating and clearly want to make your stay a pleasant one.

Previous     34 Reviews in total, now showing 25 to 30      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Kent   -   Search for a site

Win a HandiRack and HandiHoldall Combo Pack Win an OLPRO Abberley XL 4 Berth Tent

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans – plus 1000s of accessories ...more