Visitor Reviews - Oakdown Country Holiday Caravan Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Oakdown Country Holiday Caravan Park
Gatedown Lane
Weston
Sidmouth
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
EX10 0PT   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m   5m  5m  5m  5m  5m   5m  5m  5m

Open: 21st March To 4th November

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  72 in total, now showing 25 to 30                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Mustang75 12 reviews from this member

We arrived to the campsite under a shroud of thick fog and then rain that had descended upon the area for the afternoon, so we had no idea what the place really looked like until the next day!

The campsite receptionist was extremely welcoming and then the site caretaker walked us over to our pitch, stopping to point out all the facilities on the way. We felt very well attended and comfortable after a rather scary drive!

The site was immaculate and our pitch was a lovely flat hardstanding with hookup and a tap and bins adjacent to us. The campsite is laid out in little 'closes' that all link up to each other. The loo / shower/washup / laundry facilities are warm and comfortable with lots of hot water!

The other additional benefit of this site is that there are also 2 private bathrooms (£1 to fill up the bath), so if you fancy a nice soak after a long walk or drive, this is just the ticket!

I take the point about the main road but we did not notice the noise at all - even with the windows open the second evening.

We had a walk along the coat path to Sidmouth via the donkey sanctuary the next day in beautiful sunshine. I would well recommend the walk - there were a few hills to climb but it was well worth it - and the beach at Weston (en-route) was really peaceful and secluded. As a bonus there is a free hopper bus back to the donkey sanctuary for those with tired legs (like us and our dog!)

All in all it was a lovely place to stay and the campsite was top notch! We may well be back!

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mrsmoo 4 reviews from this member

Have just returned from a week at this site, with two children 10 &7. Definitely one of the best sites we have stayed at. We were shown to our pitch within 5 minutes of arrival and Pete explained all the site facilities. The wardens were around the site daily. Can recommend the chip shop in Sidford.

Pros:

Really large pitches.

Showers and toilets were really clean, loved the sensors on the taps, lots of mirrors.

Laundry really useful and great sized freezer, microwave also came in handy.

Recycling facilities on the site were good.

The kids loved the play area.

Fantastic walk to the donkey sanctuary.

Cons;

Road could be very noisy but we did get used to it.

Showers very small, if trying to shower with a child and attempt to stay dry!

Although there is a bag to keep clothes dry whilst showering, I would prefer more hooks over the door.

We would definitely stay at this site again.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lewislaw 2 reviews from this member

Had a Fabulous week here. Pitched on Beach Grove, with a lovely large pitch that was marked out. On our pitch we had a Bear Lake 6, side extension, front extension two cars and there was still plenty of room to walk around! The site cost £200 for the week, which was 3 adults, one 3 year old, two cars and the tent.

The toilets and showers were kept very clean. The dish washing area had continous hot water. There was a laundry room (pay) and a freezer. There was also a 'sharps box' provided too (handy if you are diabetic for example).

The site was level and all grass with the exception of the gravel road.

There was a mixture of caravans, trailer tents and tents.

The wardens were extremely friendly. There was a small shop with a cafe attached (but the range wasn't that extensive!) There was also a snack shack next door which sold fresh orange juice (lovely but at £2 a cup could get expensive!) burgers, breakfast buns etc. If you are coming here, make sure you bring the first nights provisions and next morning's breakfast as they all have very odd opening hours! However, on the positive side, there is a fabulous Waitrose about 5 miles up the road. Just turn left out of the park and follow the road straight and you can't miss it!

There is a walkway which runs right alongside the Grove which was a very pleasant walk to the donkey sanctuary that was next door. You could sometimes hear the donkeys at night but we found it more an amusement 'oh the Donkeys are off again' rather than an irritation.

The site is next to the road, but unless road noise really bothers you, by the second night you won't notice it, and it's especially helpful to drown out the slightly noiser parties!

All in all I would wholly recommend this site and my family and I will definitely be visiting again next year.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: PXProgrammer 1 review from this member

I have stopped on this site a couple of times and have been impressed. I echo everyone else's comments on facilities, cleanliness etc.

I few points that reduced my enjoyment of the site, hopefully taken as constructive criticism.

The hard standing chipping are the sharpest (flint type) of any site I have been to. Despite even putting lino down they are too sharp to walk on without shoes. They have damaged anything I put on them.

I feel it is unfair to make responsible adults push their bikes from their pitches on / off the extensive site. This encourages car usage which is bad for everyone. I do not know of another site that encourages car usage rather than push bikes.

Steve helped me on to the pitch and was working on disconnecting electrics before I got out of my car. Although meaning to be helpful, I felt he should have asked if I needed a hand. I like to park / disconnect / unhitch / move and level up in my own way and get flustered if rushed.

For me the above slight tweeks would make the site perfect.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Arpaterson 4 reviews from this member

Stayed here in a tent on an un-serviced pitch for ten nights with a young family.

This is third time in total and the second year in a row that we have stayed at Oakdown and again we were on the original part of the site.

We received the usual warm welcome from the staff and were shown to our pitch, which we had been able to book in advance when making our reservation.

The toilet block has been refurbished this year to a very high standard. Even without the modernisation I think this is one of the best amenities blocks I have seen, especially if you have a young family. There is an area for families to shower as well as baths (albeit you have to pay for hot water for the bath). There is a large chest freezer and microwave in the dishwashing / laundry area and all facilities are kept very clean.

The children's’ play area is located in a secluded spot close to the amenities blocks. While this does mean not all campers are subjected to the noise form the play park you are unlikely to be able to see your children playing from the comfort of your own tent / caravan. The play park is well equipped and the site also has a smaller more modern play park in the ‘new’ part of the site in Beach Grove.

The site does run along the A3052 which while not very busy can seem noisy with cars speeding along it in the evening. Having said that it did not detract from our stay at all.

There is a lot to do in the local area, with lots of information on local attractions and places to eat available in the amenities block, and the site is an ideal base for a holiday. There was plenty to keep our young family amused for ten days as well good places to eat out nearby.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ian johnson 16 reviews from this member

Stayed at Oakdown for 7 nights in June and I can only say what a great site this is.

The site fees for this site are very reasonable for its location.

We stayed on the newer part of the site (Beech Grove) which had the biggest touring pitches I have ever seen on a site. This part of the site was being looked after by Pete the warden and his wife and they were absolutely brilliant - they had so much knowledge of the area and the good places to visit and always a pleasant smile and time to stop for a chat.

Amenities in the block were superb and cleaned regularly there was even a large freezer and a microwave that are free to use and we found both of these really useful on a 7 night stay.

There are local supermarkets nearby (Spa and a bit further a large Waitrose). Pete the warden recommended a meal at the Hare and Hounds which is a short drive from the site (Reception gave us a voucher for this pub too) and the carvery at this pub is great value - Gets very busy though so may pay to book.

Sidmouth has plenty of shops and good pubs to walk round during the day.

The only minus point for this part of the site (Beech Grove) is some road noise, the owners have made efforts to cut the noise down which when fully grown will take this small nuisance away.

I will definitely use this site again.

Previous     72 Reviews in total, now showing 25 to 30      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

2092 Visitors online !