Visitor Reviews - Watermouth Cove Holiday Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (North) > Site Reviews

Watermouth Cove Holiday Park
Berrynarbor
Ilfracombe
Devon (North)   (Browse area)
EX34 9SJ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m   1m  1m

Open: 28/04 To 28/09

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  109 in total, now showing 25 to 30                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a £300 Prize Package including £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: HappyBears 3 reviews from this member

We had a 3 night stay during May Day Bank Holiday in a tent on a hook up pitch.

What a lovely campsite we only left the site once for a morning trip to Ilfracombe, it was so relaxing there was no need to get in the car and go else where, we just enjoyed the sunshine and the views.

The staff were always friendly and helpful. It is doggy friendly site and has a small private beach to go Kayaking on which the children seemed to love playing on too. There was also a good play area for the children and lots of little nooks and crannies for children and adults to explore and the views were spectacular.

The showers and toilets were always very clean and the shop and restaurant was reasonably priced.

We are already looking forward to a return trip.

Date of Visit: March 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Fuseman 10 reviews from this member

Just returned from a cold Easter break at Watermouth cove, never the less very enjoyable. All staff were very helpful and polite and it seemed that they could not do enough for you to ensure you had a good stay. The toilets and showers blocks were kept very clean and very warm as were the club/cafe. This site is in what must be a superb location when the weather is at its best. The owners seem to be doing a lot of improvements to the site layout which as resulted in a little untidiness around the site but I'm sure this will soon be cleared.

The only very slight concern I have is with the new hard standing pitches, they have been made with a type of gravel which is currently very soft and loose making it difficult to manoeuvre your caravan, but I'm sure this will compact down and give the required result. All in all a great site one which I would recommend.

Date of Visit: March 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Madwon 1 review from this member

I found the site using the search engine on UKCampsite.co.uk website and then followed the links to the owners website itself, which was very good. The do have online booking facilities if you wish to do that; but as it was our first time camping for about 20 years there are always questions to be answered which the website couldn't.

I called and all my questions were answered and more, the service was very good. Booked and paid for over the phone at reasonable rates for the bank holiday week including EHU, new All Weather Pitch (brilliant) a car, Alfie (our dog) and an extra awning.

The clean facilities were housed centrally in portacabin type blocks showers and to the very pretty site, there is a private beach and slipway for small craft canoes, rafts etc. And all very dog friendly.

The reception when we arrived was very good no problems booking in all as expected with warm friendly smiles. We were shown to our pitch and all the amenities explained water EHU etc. And general bits and pieces of information about the site.

The all-weather pitch was large enough for my Montana 6, plus an awning and all the guy ropes within the boundary of the AWP itself, rock pegs are a necessity though and they are available at the little shop on site along with the basics for camping.

Our Montana 6 took a while to set up but we managed it in the end without too much stress as it was a long time since we last went camping. After a nice cup of tea we took Alfie for a walk and met up with our friends who were down for the day at reception where we had a little refreshment at the bar and another cup of tea for Sue. Alfie and a number of other 4 legged friends were in the bar/reception as well, making this a really dog friendly site, very functional and informal which is good. There was a menu and a specials board for food orders and a takeaway service as well although we didnít have any food when we were there, the plates of food that came out of the kitchen while we were there looked really nice.

The overflow tent site in the field above the main site is great for walking the dog and gives great views into the Bristol Channel. The local area is very good with loads of walks and with a harbour next door larger craft can also be launched.

We cannot really add any more as our holiday was cut short due the inclement British weather and the jet stream not being where it is supposed to be! we will be back in July with the hope of better weather.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Guy Rope Tripper 1 review from this member

We stayed in the upper camping field in August this year, together with a party of other family members in 2 other tents. We had this field largely to ourselves, although I suspect this may have been because of the combination of this summer's overall poor weather and the Olympics being on at the same time.

The campsite and facilities were lovely, the views and general surroundings very scenic and beautiful. We have previously stayed at Napps Touring Park at the top of the hill above the same cove, and found the wind to be ultimately too much to cope with - particularly on the penultimate night when it destroyed my much-loved, but rather old canvas frame tent. We were pitched on the lower side of the top camping field at Watermouth Cove, and this meant that we were sheltered well from wind. It was a pleasant amble up the hill each morning and evening to watch for dolphins, of which we saw several.

Our pitch was not entirely level, which was OK, but not ideal. The pitches are delineated with lines on the grass. Our tent was exactly as wide as the maximum space allowed, because we pitched a tube dome tent sideways on to have the bedrooms as level as possible. I think that the pitches could be landcaped a bit to make them flatter.

The amenities in the site were well appointed and well situated, not being too far nor too close to where we were camped. The showers in our field did not have lighting at night, which meant that you had to shower during daylight hours - or use the showers in the main part of the campsite, which I always did anyway because they are nicer. I liked (a lot, actually) that the shower blocks and toilets all had coathooks, seats to put your clothes on while you showered - so that they remained dry - and plenty of handwash solution. I find that I can put up with a lot of discomfort when camping, so long as I can get clean and dry again. Too many campsites have shower blocks where you cannot keep your clothes dry whilst showering, which was not the case here. The shower pressure was good and the water nice and warm.

The shop is relatively well stocked, although I felt it opened a bit late in the day and closed a bit early for high season. A couple of times I found myself sitting outside waiting for them to open so I could buy supplies for breakfast. The staff were always cheery and friendly in the shop. I felt the prices in the shop were pretty much what I would expect to find, and so went further afield for larger shops.

The shop had a good attitude towards the freezing of cold box blocks, renting them out (we forgot ours) or freezing those of the patrons, both for a reasonable fee.

The swimming pools were nice, although I only went in the heated one of the two. Our kids didn't really use the park. I think there was a rule of no unsupervised children in the park, which no one seemed to be observing.

The bar and games room were great, and we spent more time there than we normally would do in a campsite, and won the pub quiz. The food in the bar was good, tasty, of good portion sizes, and priced as one would expect (a little higher than the high street, but reasonable for a campsite).

Watermouth Cove is geographically well placed to explore much of Devon, and the historic villages of Combe Martin and Ilfracombe are close by. There is a reasonable sized Tesco at Ilfracombe (calling itself a 'superstore'; although what is called a superstore in that part of the world would be merely a medium-sized shop where I live). Good surfing beaches at Woolacombe and Croyde are about half an hour's drive away, which is reasonable enough if you are looking to be able to camp near(ish) those beaches, but still not camp amongst a lot of crusty jugglers in campervans as you would find in the basic campsites above those beaches.

The campsite's little beach, rockpools and caves are fantastic - looking in turns like, Jurassic Park, the planet Mars and that place where elephants go to die in old Tarzan films. They are most definitely worth a visit.

Overall we enjoyed our stay very much. I sensed that the staff are very keen to run the best possible site, and keen to get feedback. On one particular day it rained on a biblical scale; the water running across all surfaces everywhere in the area, blocking the roads, choking the streams and rolling across the campsite's pitches. I was pleased to see that the campsite's staff were all outside at this time, pumping and sweeping out water and generally helping the patrons. Those sort of things make a big difference.

If we come back to Devon camping again - and I am sure that we will at some point - we will be very happy to stay at this campsite again.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Georgie d 1 review from this member

What a brilliant site this is have just returned from best weeks caravanning ever ! Cannot praise the very helpful friendly staff enough. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

Check in was easy and very quick. They helped my partner with the awning ( I had shoulder injury) the pitch was plenty big enough and well drained.

Toilets and showers were spotless and the site over all beautifully clean. Plenty of games to keep the children occupied and of course the beach with its stunning views and easy access for the kayaks.

Enjoyed cream teas and some very tasty meals in the club house.

The well stocked shop had everything we needed and reasonably priced for a park shop.

Only a short ride away from beautiful ilfracombe and a short walk to the Sawmill inn( more yummy food )!

Will be going back next year for sure.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Nicolaemason 2 reviews from this member

Lovely area.

Hated the site wasn't my kind of place. I think I like quieter more rural settings. Kids loved it though.

As long as the facilities are clean I don't mind. When the place is packed with sqarking kids in August I just couldn't wait to get away! Wasn't interested in the entertainment but I think this was very much a keep your kids entertained holiday and all the children seemed to be having a great time.

Nicola x

Previous     109 Reviews in total, now showing 25 to 30      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (North)   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth £49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans Ė plus 1000s of accessories ...more