Visitor Reviews - Watermouth Cove Holiday Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (North) > Site Reviews

Watermouth Cove Holiday Park
Berrynarbor
Ilfracombe
Devon (North)   (Browse area)
EX34 9SJ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m   1m  1m

Open: 28/04 To 28/09

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  107 in total, now showing 25 to 30                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!
£100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win £100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Date of Visit: March 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Madwon 1 review from this member

I found the site using the search engine on UKCampsite.co.uk website and then followed the links to the owners website itself, which was very good. The do have online booking facilities if you wish to do that; but as it was our first time camping for about 20 years there are always questions to be answered which the website couldn't.

I called and all my questions were answered and more, the service was very good. Booked and paid for over the phone at reasonable rates for the bank holiday week including EHU, new All Weather Pitch (brilliant) a car, Alfie (our dog) and an extra awning.

The clean facilities were housed centrally in portacabin type blocks showers and to the very pretty site, there is a private beach and slipway for small craft canoes, rafts etc. And all very dog friendly.

The reception when we arrived was very good no problems booking in all as expected with warm friendly smiles. We were shown to our pitch and all the amenities explained water EHU etc. And general bits and pieces of information about the site.

The all-weather pitch was large enough for my Montana 6, plus an awning and all the guy ropes within the boundary of the AWP itself, rock pegs are a necessity though and they are available at the little shop on site along with the basics for camping.

Our Montana 6 took a while to set up but we managed it in the end without too much stress as it was a long time since we last went camping. After a nice cup of tea we took Alfie for a walk and met up with our friends who were down for the day at reception where we had a little refreshment at the bar and another cup of tea for Sue. Alfie and a number of other 4 legged friends were in the bar/reception as well, making this a really dog friendly site, very functional and informal which is good. There was a menu and a specials board for food orders and a takeaway service as well although we didnít have any food when we were there, the plates of food that came out of the kitchen while we were there looked really nice.

The overflow tent site in the field above the main site is great for walking the dog and gives great views into the Bristol Channel. The local area is very good with loads of walks and with a harbour next door larger craft can also be launched.

We cannot really add any more as our holiday was cut short due the inclement British weather and the jet stream not being where it is supposed to be! we will be back in July with the hope of better weather.

Reviewer: Guy Rope Tripper 1 review from this member

We stayed in the upper camping field in August this year, together with a party of other family members in 2 other tents. We had this field largely to ourselves, although I suspect this may have been because of the combination of this summer's overall poor weather and the Olympics being on at the same time.

The campsite and facilities were lovely, the views and general surroundings very scenic and beautiful. We have previously stayed at Napps Touring Park at the top of the hill above the same cove, and found the wind to be ultimately too much to cope with - particularly on the penultimate night when it destroyed my much-loved, but rather old canvas frame tent. We were pitched on the lower side of the top camping field at Watermouth Cove, and this meant that we were sheltered well from wind. It was a pleasant amble up the hill each morning and evening to watch for dolphins, of which we saw several.

Our pitch was not entirely level, which was OK, but not ideal. The pitches are delineated with lines on the grass. Our tent was exactly as wide as the maximum space allowed, because we pitched a tube dome tent sideways on to have the bedrooms as level as possible. I think that the pitches could be landcaped a bit to make them flatter.

The amenities in the site were well appointed and well situated, not being too far nor too close to where we were camped. The showers in our field did not have lighting at night, which meant that you had to shower during daylight hours - or use the showers in the main part of the campsite, which I always did anyway because they are nicer. I liked (a lot, actually) that the shower blocks and toilets all had coathooks, seats to put your clothes on while you showered - so that they remained dry - and plenty of handwash solution. I find that I can put up with a lot of discomfort when camping, so long as I can get clean and dry again. Too many campsites have shower blocks where you cannot keep your clothes dry whilst showering, which was not the case here. The shower pressure was good and the water nice and warm.

The shop is relatively well stocked, although I felt it opened a bit late in the day and closed a bit early for high season. A couple of times I found myself sitting outside waiting for them to open so I could buy supplies for breakfast. The staff were always cheery and friendly in the shop. I felt the prices in the shop were pretty much what I would expect to find, and so went further afield for larger shops.

The shop had a good attitude towards the freezing of cold box blocks, renting them out (we forgot ours) or freezing those of the patrons, both for a reasonable fee.

The swimming pools were nice, although I only went in the heated one of the two. Our kids didn't really use the park. I think there was a rule of no unsupervised children in the park, which no one seemed to be observing.

The bar and games room were great, and we spent more time there than we normally would do in a campsite, and won the pub quiz. The food in the bar was good, tasty, of good portion sizes, and priced as one would expect (a little higher than the high street, but reasonable for a campsite).

Watermouth Cove is geographically well placed to explore much of Devon, and the historic villages of Combe Martin and Ilfracombe are close by. There is a reasonable sized Tesco at Ilfracombe (calling itself a 'superstore'; although what is called a superstore in that part of the world would be merely a medium-sized shop where I live). Good surfing beaches at Woolacombe and Croyde are about half an hour's drive away, which is reasonable enough if you are looking to be able to camp near(ish) those beaches, but still not camp amongst a lot of crusty jugglers in campervans as you would find in the basic campsites above those beaches.

The campsite's little beach, rockpools and caves are fantastic - looking in turns like, Jurassic Park, the planet Mars and that place where elephants go to die in old Tarzan films. They are most definitely worth a visit.

Overall we enjoyed our stay very much. I sensed that the staff are very keen to run the best possible site, and keen to get feedback. On one particular day it rained on a biblical scale; the water running across all surfaces everywhere in the area, blocking the roads, choking the streams and rolling across the campsite's pitches. I was pleased to see that the campsite's staff were all outside at this time, pumping and sweeping out water and generally helping the patrons. Those sort of things make a big difference.

If we come back to Devon camping again - and I am sure that we will at some point - we will be very happy to stay at this campsite again.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Georgie d 1 review from this member

What a brilliant site this is have just returned from best weeks caravanning ever ! Cannot praise the very helpful friendly staff enough. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

Check in was easy and very quick. They helped my partner with the awning ( I had shoulder injury) the pitch was plenty big enough and well drained.

Toilets and showers were spotless and the site over all beautifully clean. Plenty of games to keep the children occupied and of course the beach with its stunning views and easy access for the kayaks.

Enjoyed cream teas and some very tasty meals in the club house.

The well stocked shop had everything we needed and reasonably priced for a park shop.

Only a short ride away from beautiful ilfracombe and a short walk to the Sawmill inn( more yummy food )!

Will be going back next year for sure.

Reviewer: Nicolaemason 2 reviews from this member

Lovely area.

Hated the site wasn't my kind of place. I think I like quieter more rural settings. Kids loved it though.

As long as the facilities are clean I don't mind. When the place is packed with sqarking kids in August I just couldn't wait to get away! Wasn't interested in the entertainment but I think this was very much a keep your kids entertained holiday and all the children seemed to be having a great time.

Nicola x

Reviewer: John Preece 2 reviews from this member

I have to start by saying what a lovely site, but with so much that went on I cannot help but give you the warts and all on this site.

We arrived at 10. 30am on a Saturday. Anyone will tell you that you cannot always predict your arrival time when visiting this area, so we completely shocked to go to reception and be told that 'under no circumstances would we pitch you before 12pm as stated on the website'. A little disgruntled I went away and went to have a look around coombe martin (about a five minute drive away). I come back at 12pm to be told it will be impossible to give us a pitch before 12. 30pm. This really annoyed me especially as 20 minutes earlier we saw a caravan taken to a pitch.

After a bit of dialogue we were pitched 5 minutes later. The pitch itself was in quite poor condition with a pretty bad dip which when we left turned into a bog and was slippy under foot.

We needed some supplies and decided to go to the camp shop. Bought 6 rashers of bacon, 8 sausages, bread, milk and wine and imagine our astonishment when we were charged £30 for it. Some have said how well stocked the shelves were, but we found the range to be limited and vastly overpriced (£2. 50 for a stale loaf).

The toilet facilities were very narrow and limited (space for about 160 units and only 6 showers per sex and some family rooms up in the non ehu camping field.

The bar was great and very reasonably priced. Meals were also very reasonably priced, the site had some beautiful views, but with so many issues and at a cost of around £60 per night I really did expect so much more.

There is a lovely park, which the kids could use, but being unattended parents should stay in case of issues of spite.

Finally we also witnessed a couple who who were clearly new to camping and were struggling in the poor weather conditions. They were in a non sig tent and were left in an exposed position of the camping field. No one from the site staff offered any help, so we intervened helping them make the most of there pitch and giving them a windbreak and a tarp to help in the muddy, wet and windy conditions.

Its such a shame as I really loved the site, the views and the harbour, but with so many negative experiences and the cost (which I think is unjustified). I doubt I will be visiting again.

Management response: Under normal circumstances, along with most Holiday Park Owners, we take criticism on the chin, some of it is constructive and we can either choose to act upon it or ignore it. However, when comments are blatantly untrue and unjustified it is time to take a defensive position and argue the facts. Mr. Preece, if you felt the need to complain about our lack of customer services, why didnít you come and tell us whilst you were on the site?

You arrived on a Saturday morning at 10. 30 am, we can certainly understand that you had experienced a long journey, but in all the literature that we send out, it clearly requests all our clients not to arrive before 12 noon. Further, it doesnít just mention this once but on all documents that are issued including booking forms, Terms and Conditions and general information. This gives those that are leaving time to vacate their pitch, we are then able to mow or attend to any maintenance required before checking in the next arrivals. Logistically it is not possible to attend to those departing, sometimes experiencing problems, at the same time as those arriving. I recall that it was explained to you that the caravan that was sited before you was in fact a late arrival due in from the day before who had suffered a mechanical breakdown.

Your comments regarding the pitch being slippy can only be attributed to the most amazing storm and downpour experienced and we feel no other dialogue on this matter is necessary. No other booking had departed early or complained.

We are pleased that you found the bar Ďgreatí and good value and the meals reasonably priced, however, it would not be sound business to make the bar good value and then charge ridiculous amounts in the shop, perhaps your recollection of the amount for the sausages, bacon, bread, milk and wine were slightly hazy, the actual cost for these particular items was £14. 63. It would be extremely foolish and totally unacceptable to charge £2. 50 for a loaf of bread and quite honestly I would expect every loaf on the shelf to be stale, I doubt anyone in their right mind would pay that amount. For a relatively small square footage we feel the stock covers most of the necessary items required, from toiletries, camping requisites, freshly cooked croissants, French bread, milk, eggs, papers, buckets and spades, fishing bait, goodies and biscuits, the list really is endless.

We do not advertise a supervised childrenís play area and feel that your comment is detrimental to your fellow guests.

On the matter of the cost being Ďaroundí £60 per night, we respectfully suggest that you check this figure. The cost for the tent pitch with EHU, 3 adults, 1 child, 1 dog was £351 for 8 nights, these details were all confirmed in an email to you along with directions/information and the reference number that you checked in with.

In conclusion, the staff and owners here at Watermouth Cove put so much effort into helping, assisting and advising customers with the express desire that they enjoy their holidays or short breaks and it saddens us all to read what we consider unjustified and sometimes damaging comments written for what would appear to be no reason. Of course not everybody is aware of the good deeds that are done throughout the season, opening the clubhouse at 4. 30 am due to the lashing rain and horrendous storm and gales, rescuing families in the early hours of the morning with young children soaking wet with no tent or cover, making hot drinks and providing choccy bars whilst the children watch DVDs in the Clubhouse, organising our own chalets for them, but then Mr. Preece we donít brag about these deeds and of course you wouldnít know because you werenít there, but, we do recall that you called on our assistance to help you with your vehicle because something had been left on and your battery was flat, in fact not just once, but on the second occasion we seem to remember you apologised for being a nuisance!

We are sorry you found it necessary to write this review but we are so grateful to those customers who have recorded their memorable experiences at Watermouth Cove and thank them all.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Marclewis 15 reviews from this member

What a wonderful site and so lucky with the weather after all the rain we had. The site has a small bar overlooking the narrow entry to the beech. The setting is outstanding and the sunsets were beautiful.

The main camping and caravan area is flat with plenty of electric hooks ups. I would like to see dedicated water hook ups and drainage too though.

It's not a large site, but it is an amazing place to explore. Just past the entrance to the beech, you walk up a hill to the left and find the gate on the right hand side.

Walk through and down the steps to a small cave. I will definitely be making my way back here again. The couple next to us have been coming here for 30 years. That says it all.

Previous     107 Reviews in total, now showing 25 to 30      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (North)   -   Search for a site

Win a KAMEI Husky L Roof Box worth £225! Win a Coolbox Cool Ďní Store Package worth over £235!

UKCS Meet Summer Motorhome & Caravan Show 9 - 11th June