Visitor Reviews - Hooks House Farm Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Hooks House Farm Campsite
Whitby Road
Robin Hoods Bay
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
YO22 4PE   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01947 880283

1m  1m  1m  1m  5m  5m  1m  1m  5m   5m  1m  1m

Open:

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  217 in total, now showing 41 to 50                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win 100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Reviewer: Nealnicki 2 reviews from this member

What a great site with amazing coastal views. We were blessed generally with good weather, although it is windy! (Still you can't be right on the coast and not expect that). We did help 'rescue' 3 or 4 tents that were in danger of being damaged by the wind.

The owners are brilliant, really taking care of people, nothing was too much trouble.

Facilities are really good, showers with plenty of piping hot water no matter how many we're using them. Two pot washing areas one indoors the other allowed you to wash up whilst admiring the view! Everything was kept spotlessly clean.

Overall can't recommend it enough.

Reviewer: LynetteH 2 reviews from this member

I have just returned from a five night stay on this site and loved it. The views from the site are amazing. The staff/owners are very friendly and helpful and the facilities cannot be faulted. Even though the site reached capacity while we were there it didn't feel crammed. It was nice to stay on a site where the comfort and enjoyment of existing campers was more important than squeezing more people in. There was even a field they left empty for kids/dogs to play in, so the areas around the tents were fairly peaceful. Showers and toilets were kept clean and well maintained, the kitchen area and individual washrooms were a nice touch.

Staff were helpful and knowledgeable about the local area. It is a great base for exploring with easy tracks for walking/cycling to neighbouring towns. It is located on a hill, affording the amazing views, so if you can't manage steep hills then that would be a problem - but other than that I would recommend this site to anyone.

Reviewer: Tilcon123 2 reviews from this member

I can't praise this site enough. From the moment my family (me, husband and two teenage girls) arrived, we knew that we were going to have a great stay. The owners were incredibly efficient and pleasant. Even though the site was quite full, we'd booked and were given a choice of pitches, both with an amazing view of Robin Hood's Bay. The pitches are all marked out - you park your car across the top of your pitch. Our tent is huge but there was still plenty of room.

My girls and I checked out the facilities which comprised of three showers each for both men and women, plenty of toilets (which never ran out of loo roll!), sinks in the toilet block with soap dispensers and paper towels, another block with washrooms (two of them big enough to accommodate a parent and a couple of children for teeth cleaning and a surface large enough for the baby bath) and a further block with a fridge, two freezers, a microwave, kettle and plugs to charge your mobile/iPad etc. This block also had three dish washing sinks so my girls charged their phones whilst washing up! You can also pop your phone into reception if it needs a bit of a longer charge. There are also outdoor washing up sinks with a beautiful view!

I get up early and was usually in the shower by 6. 30am but, even at peak times when the site was full, I never saw any more than a couple of people waiting for showers. The water was always hot (and free!) and there was plenty of space and hooks to put your clothes.

The village of Robin Hood's Bay is lovely. It took us about 15 minutes to walk down to the well stocked shop (which sold great sandwiches and pork pies along with pretty much everything else you need, including stuff for the beach) and another 10 down to the beach. On the subject of sandwiches, the fishmonger sells delicious crab rolls! There's plenty choice of pubs and places to have lunch or an evening meal and lots of cafes too. It's a steep walk back up but you're entertained by shops (in the village) and sheep (in the field)!

All in all, the site was peaceful with a big empty field for kids with their kites and cricket games. We got back home last night and are already missing our relaxed week's camping and, of course, the view. I would highly recommend a stay here - we wish it was closer than the 3 hours it took us because we'd be back again for a weekend before the end of the summer.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Wedgy3 2 reviews from this member

We have been to Hooks House farm quite a few times and fortunately every time we have been blessed with good weather and this visit was no exception. From arrival to departure Gill and her team attend to everything including siting and levelling van and assisting with hitch up on departure, with Paul even stopping traffic to allow a safe exit. This site has everything we could ask for and the most fantastic views of any site in the UK. The staff member in the reception caravan at the entry to the site and always has a friendly word to say, she really is a great ambassador for her site and is very proud of the whole set up. The management here could teach some of the 'big players' a thing or two when it comes to customer service (with a genuine smile). The facilities are very good and more than adequate especially now they have been modernised. One of the plus points for us is the mixture of Vans, Motor Homes tents etc. Which give the site it's unique charm. We will definitely return. Thanks to all Pete & Marion

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Tents are us 26 reviews from this member

We are still here on our 2 week stay at Hook House, as has been put this site is something very special!

We arrived at 8-15pm on Friday & the owner was still there in the reception caravan & offered to put his 4x4 on our van &b site it, but as I have a 4x4 I backed it on to the pitch & he & his mate did all the levelling with the blocks, etc he has waiting. The site is sloping but they know what they are doing & within 5 mins we were in the van & ready for 2 weeks of chilling!

The views are out of this world & the owners can't do enough for you & know the local area so well.

The washrooms & area with fridge & freezer & m/wave for people in tents are wonderful. Everything is kept so clean, I even saw one of the owners cleaning the toilets at 11-15pm one night!

The showers are ok but the only thing is there are only 3 for men & 3 for woman & when the site is full (witch it is a lot of the time because its so popular!) then you do have to wait sometimes.

I would recommend this site to anyone.

---------------------

I know I have done a review in the 1st week we were at Hook House, but today after 16 wonderful nights there we have had to come home. We didn't want to as we had such a wonderful time & we had the best 2 weeks weather for about 10 years! Not a single days rain & every day was 25+ degrees!

But Hook House would be great anytime as its the people that run it as well as the sights from your pitch every morning that make this place!

Whitby, Scarborough & Robin Hoods Bay are so lovely & the whole area is wonderful.

If I could give more than 10 out 10 for this site (especially customer service!) then I would.

I would have no problem recommending this site to anyone.

Reviewer: Uk-spacemonkey 4 reviews from this member

Not long been back from this fantastic site. Had the best few days camping with Mrs Spacemonkey since we have started camping.

Got to the site and were shown to our pitch and told where everything was. You have a pot wash room that has a microwave, kettle, fridge and freezer it also has lots of info about things to do in the area. The toilets were very very clean and tidy no mater when you went in them, the showers were also very clean with plenty of hot water.

The views from the site amazing, I just loved to sit outside and take it all in. You are on a bit of a slope but not that bad you are falling out of bed. You can walk to Robin hoods bay in a leisurely 20 min walk but it is all uphill back to the site although there is a bus stop outside the site if you don't fancy the walk.

If you are passing through Whitby on the way in you will pass a Sainsbury supermarket if you need supply's like beer and BBQ food.

If we didn't need to get back We would of stayed for extra nights, I can't wait to get back to the site for our next outing in North Yorkshire.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mamaduck 5 reviews from this member

Just returned from a fantastic 8 day stay here. The owner and family are so friendly and helpful. They will pitch towed units for you as site sloping, but worth it for the view alone.

We last visited 4 years ago and like the improvements to the showers (folding doors). Facilities always kept clean despite site being full (shower at off peak times to ensure hot water when it's busy as at many other sites). We had very mixed weather going from sun cream to thermals but found lots to do in the area. Kids (7 & 5) enjoyed flying their kites in the 'play field' although there isn't room to play near own unit.

The walk down to Robin Hood's Bay is easy if you're fairly able-bodied. Whitby Abbey is worth a visit - English Heritage so well geared up for children. Try The Quayside in Whitby for fantastic fish & chips, and explore the narrow lanes across the swing bridge for lots of little interesting shops etc. Walk up to Pannett Park to explore the dinosaur walk and refurbished playground if you have little ones. We will be going back, and won't leave it four years this time.

Reviewer: Tentbunny50 2 reviews from this member

This idyllic little campsite is situated in close proximity to the historic fishing village of Robin Hood's Bay and is only four miles from the bustling town of Whitby. The area is quiet and rural.

From the campsite can be clearly seen the haunting cliffs overlooking the bay and the sea can sometimes be heard in the distance.

The campsite is fairly basic, but is immaculately clean. Male and female washrooms comprise of a few small showers, toilets and private washing cubicles. There is a small utility room, consisting of a refrigerator, freezer, electric kettle, microwave and washing up sink. There is an outdoor laundry area, too.

Overall, I found the site to be warm and inviting. The owners couldn't be more helpful and I found them friendly, but unobtrusive. I will definitely use this campsite again.

Reviewer: Jomchorbury 3 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 2night stay at this site and would definitely return.

On arrival we explained that although my husband, son and I wanted to stay for two nights my daughter & boyfriend were following and only wanted to sty one night, the lady on reception was very accommodating and suggested if we could take one 'pitch' they would not charge us the minimum 2 nights. This was easily attainable as although we have a 6 birth family tent and my daughter a small done tent, the pitches are easily generous enough to accommodate this.

The toilet / shower facilities are spotless, housed in potakabin's, I couldn't fault them, and free! We have stayed in numerous campsites and always paid for much inferior showers.

Washing up, fridge, freezer & microwave facilities, all spotless.

The camping field is very well kept with 'road tracks' mown into the field.

The walk into the Bay takes a bit longer than 10 -15 minutes, approx 20 -30 at a decent pace and is over fairly rough footpath and a little steep coming back uphill. That said, that is what we like and I got some fab photos of gorgeous lambs who were obviously used to folk walking through their field.

The main selling point for this site is the view over Robin Hoods Bay towards Ravenscar, tremendous. , and watching the moon coming out & illuminating the bay was very special indeed.

We will definitely return.

Reviewer: 6 of clubs 8 reviews from this member

Another lovely trip to this site I thought I would let you all know how nice it is and how friendly the whole family that own and look after the site are.

We had a tent with EHU so booked a while ago and the pitch we had down the side of the field was the best we have had in our 3 visits as we had the hedge behind the tent so a little protection for the wind but still had all the views. The only thing with being down there was the walk to the loos was a bit far if you had had a drink.

The site did get full with mostly tents (non ehu) but to be honest the queues we thought that there would be for the toilets/showers didn't happen so we were pleased about that. The water in the showers does get a bit hot so be careful but hubby said you could adjust the temp which I didn't know.

You also have separate washrooms rather than having to clean your teeth in the toilet block which is good but please people, when you use them can you get the tissue supplied and wipe the water around the sink so its clean for the next person as twice I went in and there was water everywhere (sorry rant over) but its just common sense you wouldn't leave your sink at home like that would you ?

The site has both outside and indoor pot washes both with 3 sinks each which is good and also microwave, kettle, fridge for small items and a freezer to use which is great and also lots of leaflets for the area.

The village of RHB is a walk down the hill either through the fields which most people do or by road with no footpath so a bit dangerous, beware though the walk back up is a killer but you could always get the bus and get off at the stop outside the site. In the village you will find lots of places to eat/drink and lots of little shops for you to look in. There is parking but you would need to get there early as the spaces do fill, not sure how much it is as we didn't use them but it is parking meters.

RHB also has a lovely beach which I think on Sunday everyone in the area was sitting on in the sun which was lovely to see.

All in all this is a wonderful site and we will definitely be back. Keep up the good work you have a gem of a site

Previous     217 Reviews in total, now showing 41 to 50      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in North Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

Win an Outwell sleeping package worth over 272 Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to 175!

UKCS Meet East Anglian Game & Country Fair - 22nd to 23rd April
Something for the whole family to enjoy at the show, including your dog ...more