Visitor Reviews - Karrageen Caravan & Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Karrageen Caravan & Camping Park
Bolberry
Malborough
Kingsbridge
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
TQ7 3EN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m   1m  5m  5m  5m  5m   10m  1m

Open: April To September

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  63 in total, now showing 31 to 36                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Joshuajdog 1 review from this member

Our stay at Karrageen was pretty much a baptism by fire -- our first camping trip with our boys of 4 and 6 and the tail end of Hurricane Bill whipped through in the middle of the week. What it highlighted was the efficiency of the tree and bush-lined terraces at keeping the worst of the weather off. I felt for the folk at the top of the hill who may have been smugly sitting within easy reach of the toilet block at the start of the week, but who were piling the wreckage of destroyed gazebos and wind-breaks into the bins at the end of it. In other words: it doesn't pay necessarily to ask for a pitch nearer the facilities.

We asked for an extra large pitch (for a tent with pods) and an electric hook-up. It was more expensive than other campsites, but we looked at it as a fair price to pay for a peak-season holiday in Devon within 10 minutes of a beach -- an essential facet of the holiday as far as the boys were concerned. We were impressed at the efficiency and friendliness of our welcome. It was a busy week in August, and they managed to engineer it so friends of ours who were only coming for 3 nights could have an adjoining pitch.

A glance at the website shows a terrifying list of rules and regulations, but the end result was a tightly run site which was genuinely child-friendly -- very little noise after 10pm. We left on the bank holiday weekend and realised that perhaps it wasn't always as peaceful.

The facilities were basic but sound. We were camping novices, and didn't feel too cheated by the 20p for-hot-water charge. At home we also draw water from a spring and understand the necessity for economy when using it. Also, we were on holiday, so we did very little washing-up: we used the excellent take-away service run on the site. Good home-cooked food in decent portions. And we also used the take-aways in Kingsbridge. Pizza Planet does a very good pizza indeed and delivers to the site. For us, cooking a meal for four, on two small rings, is not an essential part of the camping experience!

The toilet block was a bit tired, but it was cleaned everyday.

The beach at Hope Cove is fantastic for children, but not so great when the tide is in as it covers a multitude of sharp submerged rocks. The beach is otherwise clean and picturesque. We used the shop in Hope Cove for pasties at lunch-time.

We chose to leave on a very busy day indeed (the Saturday before the August Bank Holiday), and pitches were at a premium. The owner didn't explicitly pressure us too much to leave our pitch by the designated 11.30am time-slot, but did walk past a few times to see how we were getting on. As with most of the experience, there was a nice personal touch as he shook our hands and thanked us for using his site.

I've noticed a few reviewers have grumbled about access and narrow lanes. We are regular West Country holiday-makers and didn't find that the lanes were too much of an issue. Admittedly we weren't towing anything. There were plenty of passing places and the lanes are completely typical of the area.

Our feelings are generally positive about the site, but we have nothing to compare it to yet. We are likely to return, and we would recommend it to others.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bekki68 6 reviews from this member

Lovely site overlooking beautiful Devon countryside and Hope Cove. Due to it being located in an idyllic place, it is reached via single track roads with high hedges and passing places.

Site is of medium size and slopes quite steeply, however, is laid out in terraces separated by high hedges, with built up, level pitches. Only one line of pitches per terrace leaves loads of space for playing ball games or sitting and admiring the view right in front of your tent.

On arrival we were met by efficient owners who showed us to our pitch quickly. Our pitch was small, only just managing to accommodate our 7.6 x 4m trailer tent and even then there was little room between our neighbours who obviously had the same issue with their large tents. Also our cable didn't reach the electric point so the owner offered to hire one to us for £2/day; a bit cheeky as, on odd occasions this has happened, other sites have always provided us one for free. We went out and bought another one with a longer lead.

The main thing which we feel let the site down is the dated and tired amenities block which is also not particularly clean. However, I never had to wait for a shower.

The additional charge for hot water was not obvious on the website and not mentioned by the staff on arrival. One 20p was supposedly for four mins of hot water although I was caught short within a couple of mins on occasions so not sure how reliable this timing is! We paid £27/night for a large tent and electrics so to pay extra for hot water I felt was a bit much! I don't object to paying for hot water if the pitch fee is reasonable. Just make sure you have a stock of 20p's!

The washing machines cost £3-5, and dryer £1 for 30 mins. There is also a rotary washing line and iron.

The nearest supermarket is Morrisons, in Kingsbridge, but there is a nearer well-stocked Coop at the filling station in Malborough. However, the site shop stocks essential food items and alcohol which opens from 7.30-9.30am and again 5.30-8.30pm. The site also offers an extensive homemade takeaway menu although we didn't use either.

This area is stunning with plenty to see and do. Salcombe and Dartmouth are worth a visit. Hope Cove, a short 20 min walk down the track and across fields , is beautiful. Bantham and Thursleston beaches are a short drive away.

This site is lovely but, with a bit of work on the amenities block, could be superb.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: David1306 1 review from this member

Positive points:

Lovely site in a good position, close to the beautiful hope cove. Some pitches quite sloping but acceptable. Electric hook up and water at every pitch which is convenient. Takeaway on site. 1 mile drive to Hope cove where there are nice beaches and good boat launching facilities. Close to Salcombe and Kingsbridge, good for exploring.

Negative points:

Showers take 20p coin for 4 mins but at least they are warm and fairly clean. Single track road to the site with passing places and high hedges makes things difficult, especially with a caravan, adding to this a local farmer that lives a few hundred yards on the left before the site - goes out of his way to make matters worse by not giving way refusing to reverse to a passing place (even if he was a few yards away from one) and being abusive to tourists in his green Land rover. We found if we stood our ground to him he eventually backed down, but this was not pleasant and did spoil things somewhat.

Would I return? - yes definitely, it is a beautiful area.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jantay39 2 reviews from this member

Spent 4 nights here at end of July. Very near Hope Cove which is beautiful with excellent restaurants for the evening.

Found owners very informative and helpful. Shop was well stocked for basics and loved the fresh baguettes and croissant each morning.

However our pitch was right at the bottom of the field and was too far away from the toilet, washing facilities for a middle aged woman! Nearest pitches were mainly for caravans and camper vans that have their own toilet facilities.

Facilities were very basic, charging for showers that were very basic and without seating area or duckboards. They even charged 20p for washing up.

There was no electric plug so couldn't use own hair dryer or straighteners. They had 2 dryers but were ok for basic drying but not styling.Now have frizzy hair!

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Pendleton_girl 21 reviews from this member

This was a nice site and the owners very friendly. It is a 15/20 minutes up and down walk to Hope cove; children (and adults weighted down with a cider ballast) may find the return journey a bit tiring! We had a couple of drinks at the pub but didn't try the food on this occasion.

The site itself is nicely laid out; the pitch was pleasant and levelled out on the sloping field, and the views were pleasant. The shop was well stocked and the site did hot take away food in the evenings although again, we did not try this as we had our own food. There was local information posted on the wall in the washing up area with lots of attraction leaflets; an OS map of the immediate area with paths, walks etc. Would be handy. There were plenty of facilities including a public telephone - vital as there was no signal on my mobile here.

We paid £16 for our pitch (we didn't have electric), this was at the top end of what I like to pay, but this being Devon in July I could live with it. I then realised when being handed my change that we would need 20p for the shower. Now, anyone who reads my reviews will know I do not like paying extra for showers on top of the pitch fee, but it was a nice sunny evening and I was in a good mood, so I decided to let it pass. But then.

Firstly, upon reaching the shower I found that my 20p only gave me TWO minutes of hot water, usually for 20p you can expect at least twice that and many sites you get as much as six minutes or more. I felt two minutes was rather stingy and I was not best pleased, and then.

The final straw was when, having eaten a really nice meal in our van and I strolled over to wash up and found that if I wanted hot water to wash up I had to pay another 20p! This has never happened to us at any other campsite, and unfortunately it soured the experience of camping here, and is sufficient to put me off returning. I do not feel it is acceptable to pay extra again to wash up properly. My neighbour at the next sink agreed and we both washed up with cold water.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Carolineforbes 1 review from this member

What a fantastic site! the best one I have stayed at in Devon! I went with my 3 children whilst my husband stayed at work and the relaxing family friendly site made it most enjoyable for me! We had food every night which was delicious and they had a great selection of wines in the shop!
The facilities were very clean and I loved having a fresh spring water shower every morning! I cant agree with previous reviews about the toilet facilities- I thought they were immaculate and very well equipped. Everyone on site was so friendly, my 3 boys played cricket with lots of other children every evening whilst I sipped on my wine! a thoroughly enjoyable week, I have even booked for the summer!

Previous     63 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 36      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCampsite.co.uk Advent Calendar