Visitor Reviews - Karrageen Caravan & Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Karrageen Caravan & Camping Park
Bolberry
Malborough
Kingsbridge
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
TQ7 3EN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m   1m  5m  5m  5m  5m   10m  1m

Open: April To September

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  61 in total, now showing 31 to 36                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: David1306 1 review from this member

Positive points:

Lovely site in a good position, close to the beautiful hope cove. Some pitches quite sloping but acceptable. Electric hook up and water at every pitch which is convenient. Takeaway on site. 1 mile drive to Hope cove where there are nice beaches and good boat launching facilities. Close to Salcombe and Kingsbridge, good for exploring.

Negative points:

Showers take 20p coin for 4 mins but at least they are warm and fairly clean. Single track road to the site with passing places and high hedges makes things difficult, especially with a caravan, adding to this a local farmer that lives a few hundred yards on the left before the site - goes out of his way to make matters worse by not giving way refusing to reverse to a passing place (even if he was a few yards away from one) and being abusive to tourists in his green Land rover. We found if we stood our ground to him he eventually backed down, but this was not pleasant and did spoil things somewhat.

Would I return? - yes definitely, it is a beautiful area.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jantay39 2 reviews from this member

Spent 4 nights here at end of July. Very near Hope Cove which is beautiful with excellent restaurants for the evening.

Found owners very informative and helpful. Shop was well stocked for basics and loved the fresh baguettes and croissant each morning.

However our pitch was right at the bottom of the field and was too far away from the toilet, washing facilities for a middle aged woman! Nearest pitches were mainly for caravans and camper vans that have their own toilet facilities.

Facilities were very basic, charging for showers that were very basic and without seating area or duckboards. They even charged 20p for washing up.

There was no electric plug so couldn't use own hair dryer or straighteners. They had 2 dryers but were ok for basic drying but not styling.Now have frizzy hair!

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Pendleton_girl 21 reviews from this member

This was a nice site and the owners very friendly. It is a 15/20 minutes up and down walk to Hope cove; children (and adults weighted down with a cider ballast) may find the return journey a bit tiring! We had a couple of drinks at the pub but didn't try the food on this occasion.

The site itself is nicely laid out; the pitch was pleasant and levelled out on the sloping field, and the views were pleasant. The shop was well stocked and the site did hot take away food in the evenings although again, we did not try this as we had our own food. There was local information posted on the wall in the washing up area with lots of attraction leaflets; an OS map of the immediate area with paths, walks etc. Would be handy. There were plenty of facilities including a public telephone - vital as there was no signal on my mobile here.

We paid 16 for our pitch (we didn't have electric), this was at the top end of what I like to pay, but this being Devon in July I could live with it. I then realised when being handed my change that we would need 20p for the shower. Now, anyone who reads my reviews will know I do not like paying extra for showers on top of the pitch fee, but it was a nice sunny evening and I was in a good mood, so I decided to let it pass. But then.

Firstly, upon reaching the shower I found that my 20p only gave me TWO minutes of hot water, usually for 20p you can expect at least twice that and many sites you get as much as six minutes or more. I felt two minutes was rather stingy and I was not best pleased, and then.

The final straw was when, having eaten a really nice meal in our van and I strolled over to wash up and found that if I wanted hot water to wash up I had to pay another 20p! This has never happened to us at any other campsite, and unfortunately it soured the experience of camping here, and is sufficient to put me off returning. I do not feel it is acceptable to pay extra again to wash up properly. My neighbour at the next sink agreed and we both washed up with cold water.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Carolineforbes 1 review from this member

What a fantastic site! the best one I have stayed at in Devon! I went with my 3 children whilst my husband stayed at work and the relaxing family friendly site made it most enjoyable for me! We had food every night which was delicious and they had a great selection of wines in the shop!
The facilities were very clean and I loved having a fresh spring water shower every morning! I cant agree with previous reviews about the toilet facilities- I thought they were immaculate and very well equipped. Everyone on site was so friendly, my 3 boys played cricket with lots of other children every evening whilst I sipped on my wine! a thoroughly enjoyable week, I have even booked for the summer!

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sushisu 2 reviews from this member

Site has great views and very close to Hope Cove which is beautiful and brilliant for kayaking but if you are towing a caravan- find somewhere else. The lanes you have to negotiate are very narrow and if you meet something else towing from the opposite direction I don't know what you would be able to do(one twin axle caravan arrived with his back lights smashed and his awning rail hanging off back of van). We met cars and it was very difficult in parts to pass.Very stressful.

Toilets basic and quite a walk for some pitches and you have to remember to save your 20p coins for the showers.

Date of Visit: April 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Malnmag 1 review from this member

The location of this site is fantastic, being a lovely stroll down to Hope Cove or along the coastal paths.

The grass pitch itself was level with plenty of room for the full size awning and we were helped by the friendly owner.

However, the whole site suffered from power cuts during two of the 4 days we were there. When we asked what was wrong, we were told by the owners wife that the site was full and everyone was using their electrics

Shower/toilet blocks were as mentioned in other reviews - tired and in need of updating.

There was no dog walking facilities or dog bins (that we could find).

Overall, a great location but beware of the sites limitations.

Previous     61 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 36      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win a Vehicle and Personal GPS Tracker from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!