Visitor Reviews - Exe Valley Caravan Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Site Reviews

Exe Valley Caravan Site
Mill House
Bridgetown
Exmoor
Dulverton
Somerset   (Browse area)
TA22 9JN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  10m  5m   5m

Open: 12th March To 18th October

Reviews:  180 in total, now showing 51 to 60                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Papasteve 1 review from this member

Good to be back at this fabulous adult only site. Have been visiting here for 4 years now and we never tire of the tranquillity.

The park looks very good

Toilets and showers are always spotless.

The wardens are excellent and cannot do enough to take care of their guests.

Dunster and minehead are only a short drive and the wilds of Exmoor are only five minutes away with all of its varied walking and cycling.

Cream Teas can be found in abundance, and don't forget they will sell you one.

Chris and steve (portishead)

Reviewer: Nikko136 42 reviews from this member

This adults-only site is set beautifully in an almost level meadow in a deep valley between the River Exe and a mill stream, with a firm gravel drive running down the middle for pitches either side. Pitches on the mill stream side are a little higher and the ground there is firmer. We pitched on grass on the river side, with the rear of our heavy motorhome just a few feet from the water. After 4 days and some dampish weather the ground was getting soft but we got out unaided. The owners have put mesh under some of the riverside grass pitches to make them firmer. There are only a limited number of hard standings available.

All the facilities were very good and well serviced. There are plenty of drinking water outlets. The electric hook-up points include a TV outlet socket (strangely this is said to be analogue only - digital hasn't reached Bridgetown yet) as there is no terrestrial aerial signal available in the valley. We survive without TV/radio. There's even free fishing for those with a rod licence and it's said you can catch salmon and trout, although we didn't see any.

The site management/staff are extremely friendly and helpful and advise / recommend rather than impose umpteen rules and regulations. You can pitch how you want within your pitch provided you leave adequate space - front-in, back-in or parallel to the river.

The on-site shop had basics at this time of the year as they were running stocks down prior to winter closure on 20 Oct. Other shops are a drive away, and bigger supermarkets are only in Minehead or Tiverton.

The Badger's Holt pub about 50 yards from the site entrance is a traditional pub with good beer and a very good menu.

We liked it so much that we're squeezing in another stay in mid-October just before they close.

Reviewer: Trigvan 4 reviews from this member

Lovely site in beautiful surroundings. Site is a bit open and some of the hardstanding pitches are sideways on but we liked this because we could have our doors facing out towards the river. There is some road noise but didn't find it too bad. Clean and well kept site and friendly. The facilities block with showers is a bit old fashioned and not great (shower curtains that stick to you and not much space) but was fine and clean. The toilet block was much better and modern fitments. Free wifi in the hut near reception and can pick it up nearby but not around the site.

There are lovely walks direct from the site and leaflets you can take with you detailing them. A nice pub is a short stroll away and dog friendly. Small shop for basics. The walk into Winsford is lovely and the village is really pretty. Lovely cream teas and the pub is nice.

The off lead dog exercise area is brilliant. River one side and mill stream the other. It is not entirely secure as there was no gate at the entrance into it but you can walk far enough in for this not to be a problem and it is so lovely for people and dogs that no dog would want to run out of it.

Would definitely visit again.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Geoffprinter 10 reviews from this member

When I go camping I have a little list in my head of things I would like the site to have. Adults only, nice large grass pitches, at least 10amp hook up, friendly helpful wardens, free hot showers, freezer for our ice blocks, clean toilets, chemical waste point and probably most of all a nice looking camp site. Anything else is really just a nice surprise. So when I booked to go here and was given the price which compared to some of the other sites we have visited was really well priced, I wasn't really expecting much more than my basic wish list. How wrong was I. Not only did I get my wish list it surpassed everything I hoped for. The wardens were so friendly and helpful I cant praise them enough. The site looks wonderfull with the River running down one side and the mill stream down the other and when you stand back and take in the back drop I just loved it. The site is next to the road but you wouldn't know it apart from the odd bit of traffic. Being near the road did make it handy for the local pub about 150 yards away which we thought served really nice food. I have noticed a couple of less than positive comments on here about the landlords which really is nothing to do with the camp site and should have no bearing on the reviews of the campsite. We chatted with the landlord anyway, he seemed ok to me. Anyway we were only interested in the quality of the food anyway. So back to the site. As I have said there were many little bonuses for me. FREE WI/FI. 5 channels of tv (extension leads supplied by the site) This was a really nice little FREE extra we have never had anywhere else. Its an analogue signal they get somehow (Don't ask me how but it does work). New washing m/c arrived while we were there also a tumble dryer. Which according to my wife were very reasonably priced (so that's good enough for me). A microwave oven, iron and indoor washing up facilities. Again I agree with others the shower block will need updating but I'm sure the owners are on it as they have have put in 2 nice new toilets and wash basins in a separate block. But don't be put off by the dated showers they still work fine and are clean, which is the main thing. All in all a really lovely site and one I can guarantee we will be visiting again. Just a quick thank you to the owner for starting up the mill wheel especially for us and showing us the workings which he normally does on a Sunday but we had to leave Thursday.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Glamper Wendy 2 reviews from this member

We realy enjoyed our stay at this site despite the awfull weather. We loved the big pitches and thought the owners and warden were very friendly. We were greeted with a nice cup of tea. Hubby had coffe, which went down very well after our long journey. The showers were nice and hot but I think they could do with updating. Evertime someone opened the door to the shower rooms the curtain round the shower clung to you so maybe glass doors would improve that. They were as clean as they could be concidering the awfull weather. Not sure if there was heating in there though as didn't feel that warm but once you were in the shower it was'nt too bad. So dryed off in the shower rather than just outside where the stool was.

I thought the actuall site was realy lovely. A beautiful river running through it and the Mill stream on the other side. There is a little information shed to get ideas of where to go ect. And the shop had most basic things you would need. The utility room had a nice new washing machine and also a tumble dryer that only cost 50p for 20 mins drying time which I thought was very good and it dryed my clothes in that 20 mins so didn't have to top up. Think the washer was 1. 50 but cant remember now.

We ate in the pub opposite a couple of times. The food was reasonably priced and what we had was lovely. So was very convienient for us. Will definitely go back there again as still lots to see and do. There are plenty of places easy to get to from this site. Would reccomend Tarr Steps and Lynmouth and Linton, had lovely days out there.

Reviewer: Broadnorfolk 1 review from this member

Lovely to be greeted with a choice of tea or coffee on arrival by very helpful & friendly wardens. Very tidy & clean site, grass cut short & cleared up so it does not end up in your caravan etc. Excellent dog walk by the stream. Also plenty of dog walks on footpaths But watch out for ticks or dog got 6 in the week. Showers good and hot at the different times of day that we used them. But the shower cubicles could do with an overhaul, and the cleaners could do with getting the cobwebs down from the ceilings. Did not try the local pub as planned, do to other campers saying how rude the landlady was, We will be back hopefully next year.

Reviewer: Goaler 1 review from this member

Well what can I say that has not already been said, the wardens were very helpful, they keep the site immaculate, the dog walking area was great as dogs could go in the water, what a lovely site, the toilets could do with a good clean as cobwebs everywhere. The showers are ok but could do with updating as tiles dirty and mould around the window. Tried the local pub on our first night at the site as had friends staying at the site as well. And thought we would use the local pub a few times, But once was enough. As the owners were not that welcoming and gave one the impression of what are you doing here. Will most definitely return to the site again, well done.

Reviewer: TEENAR 5 reviews from this member

What a lovely experience. This is a lovely campsite. Great location. The river one side, which has sun in the morning and the mill stream on the other which gets the sun until later in the evening. The wardens were great, very welcoming. They gave us a choice of tea or coffee on arrival. They told us where everything was. The pitches are marked out but there isn't a strict rule of how you pitch, as long as you respect your neighbours space. There is free WIFI but is is very very slow. The toilet/shower blocks were clean and tidy. A free hair drier in the ladies. There is also a new toilet block which is lovely, very modern.

If you walk to the end of the field, which is the dog walking field, there is a weir and a bench to sit on. The fields are very well manicured.

There is lots of information in the cabin, ie walks, drives, photos of the site in the snow. There are lots of books and magazines.

On Sundays they open up the Mill and you can have a tour with the couple that live there. It's very interesting. The chap takes you round the Mill and explains how it used to work and what things are, then you go upstairs into their house and his wife gives more of the history about it. It's lovely that they do that I thought and to let us campers into their beautiful home.

The weather was fabulous. We did one of the walks, the Heritage walk which is the shortest and we saw some lovely sights.

All in all a great break. We would definitely recommend it!

Reviewer: Sue Paul 41 reviews from this member

Third time here all for one reason, because its great !

I wish I could say many nasty things to keep people away so it stays nice and quiet but I can't, sadly.

Kath and Paul the wardens are lovely kind helpful people and run the place so well, this always makes it warm and welcoming.

If Carlsberg made Dog walks, this would be the one, dog swimming etc at its best, pure joy for Dogs and there owners.

My only wish is that wifi could be site wide not just in or near the wifi shed, but that's all.

Please read this and keep stum, tell no one :O)

Reviewer: Jean17 2 reviews from this member

Spent our anniversary here last August a lovely site very peaceful, the shower block could do with an upgrade as the showers were very cramped, generous space for the pitches.

Lovely villages nearby.

The wardens were very friendly and helpful good stocked shop.

There is a wonderful pub just up from the site which is in walking distance the food was very good.

Previous     180 Reviews in total, now showing 51 to 60      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Somerset   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more