Visitor Reviews - The Quiet Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

The Quiet Site
Ullswater
The Lake District
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA11 0LS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 07768 727016  or  017684 86337

5m  5m  5m  1m  1m  5m  5m   5m  1m  5m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics on Sale  Glamping

Reviews:  211 in total, now showing 51 to 60                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win 100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cate19 7 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 4 night stay at The Quiet Site. The staff are friendly and helpful & showed us where everything was when we arrived. We were shown to our pitch - all the pitches are grass with a pea gravel centre. The camp pitches are terraced and on a raised level. I had to indicate the size of tent prior to arrival. We have a Nevada M with a front extension & the pitch was only just big enough for our tent. I'm glad we have a footprint as the pea gravel could easily damage the base of your tent. You will definitely need an air bed or camp bed as the gravel would make uncomfortable sleeping if you just had a mat! We found that the pitches were fairly close together in comparison to other sites. You can park your car on a hard area close to your tent but not alongside. This is fine but when I got up early morning for a cup of tea my view from the tent consisted of rows of cars.

The site is well kept. The ladies shower block is excellent with piping hot showers & plenty of room. My husband said that the gents block was a bit small. There are individual bathrooms which is great if you have children. There is a well stocked small shop & a brilliant bar on site which is quirky & has a roaring log fire! We found it to be a busy site so avoid it if you are after solitude! I just feel that this site is too expensive at 28 per night - I'm not sure how they justify charging so much & on that basis although we enjoyed ourselves we will not return as there are other lovely sites charging a lot less. There is a play area for children and lots of lovely walks locally & lots to see & do if you want to. Shame its so expensive!

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Silvercamp pod 11 reviews from this member

We stayed here for 5 nights during half term. We had a good sized pitch with EHU near to the facilities. The site is a good size, busy but not crammed in. The children loved the playground and space. The shop was well stocked and the bar a big highlight.

The washrooms were great, underfloor heating with good sized showers. Bit steamy if anything! We also used one of the three bathrooms available, having the choice was great and does make life a little bit easier.

We visited Ullswater steamers, Keswick, Penrith, and ventured to Ambleside although that was a little further, but a great drive.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gudge04 2 reviews from this member

Just been to the Quiet Site for the first time. Initially when we paid for the 5 nights we were a little surprised at the 30 a night charge, easily the most we have paid per night. I assured my good lady wife that it will be some site for that price.

Firstly I would suggest using a sat nav to find the site if you don't know the area as it is not clearly sign posted and I struggled to find the site at first.

Anyway upon arrival we were shown to our pitch and I immediately thought a tent shouldn't have a placed on the hard standing pitch we were given. I actually was getting quite mad when I was bending all my steel pegs. Fortunately my friend gave me some rock pegs which are a must but there was nothing on the website or in the literature advising of this. Also ended up ripping our tent carpet because of the rocks underneath and it was very uncomfy to walk on.

The shower blocks were to a high standard but got very busy and there were a few queues. I don't think I have been to a site where so many tents were in close proximity to each other.

The site also seemed to cater for children under 5 but we had three nine year olds in our group and they were not always treated with understanding and respect in the site shop when attempting to purchase sweets etc.

The bar at night was a good way to unwind but was locked up till 7 every day and because almost everyday was driving rain we thought it may have been a idea to open it up just so there was somewhere to keep dry.

The site is literally in the middle of nowhere so every time we went off site it was a car journey as Pooley bridge is the nearest town/village and that's around 3 or 4 miles away.

To finish off then there are some amazing views from the site but I do feel that for the price it was not what I expected. Probably the atrocious weather has dampened my enthusiasm for the site but I don't think I would frequent here again. Would look for somewhere by the side of ullswater nearer to where there was something going on!

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: TheHs 4 reviews from this member

We arrived late afternoon without booking and still got a decent spot. All pitches have been levelled and many have electric hook up.

The facilities are excellent and very clean. New shower block and a very good laundry and washing up facilities. The kids loved the outdoor play area and there's also an indoor games room with a table tennis table etc.

There's a dedicated dog walking area which is small but leads directly onto one of the footpaths off site so ideal. The on site bar was lovely with an open fire and lots of quirky bits. Not the friendliest barman but you can't have everything!

Overall, a beautifully kept site in a great location. We'll definitely be back.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: DeanStockwell 2 reviews from this member

Just returned from a three night stay at the Quiet Site. It was a last minute trip so rang and booked just before we set off. The website advised not to use a sat nav to get there but gave excellent directions and we found the site with no problems (the last quarter mile is a narrow single track road (alternative directions are available for large or towing vehicles).

We paid 30 per night for the pitch with hook up. The site is very nice and well kept, facilities are all situated round the shop/office and include two wash up areas, three individual bathrooms (with baths) showers and toilets, all very clean.

We received a very warm welcome and shown to our pitch. Tent pitches are at the top of the site with fantastic views over Ullswater. We had a raised flat pitch which was part gravel (bent a few pegs). By the time we has pitched the tent the site shop had closed, however the barman in the site bar was very helpful and got us some milk from the shop. The bar is fantastic and has to bee seen!

Overall a great site and we will probably visit again, the only negative points were the pitches being quite close together (although we have a large tent), you will hear your neighbours.

Gents showers, showering, keeping clothes dry, drying and dressing in a toilet size cubicle was not the easiest, apparently the ladies shower cubicles are larger.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Caroljones 1 review from this member

Stopped here on the way up to Scotland. Great site which is just as it says: quiet. We had a lovely view from our pitch which was large enough for us to park sde- on and really appreciate them.

Really lovely owner who was very helpful. The toilet facilities were spotlessly clean with liquid soap and hair dryers supplied.

Great walks from the site. Yes, a little expensive but worth it. Would definitely return.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Vanditostaffie 5 reviews from this member

Sorry but this is not the quiet site, it is the cramped site.

We were touching distance from the wooden pods and feet away from a caravan with three kids under 5 despite having two dogs and making it clear we would be best suited to be placed out of the way if possible when making our booking. All we heard was stomp stomp of people in pods on wood flooring and snoring ! Not ours. I think you have to be lucky to get one of few pitches that offer any privacy.

The showers have been recently renovated, but the cubicles small. The dividing wall between the shower and your belongings is inadequate hence my ruck sack and clothes being wet.

There were 2 free hair dryers, but no additional sockets.

The bathrooms were clean but some selfish people do seem to need to brush their hair over the sink, so I could not bring myself to brush my teeth in them.

Also why would I want to shower in close proximity to someone in the loo opposite me, it is not just this campsite but others that cram loos and showers together.

There were two larger bathrooms with baths, they were much more spacious.

The pitch was flat but be warned you will need pegs for hard ground. With the van and an awning there was no surplus space.

Our only view was of other campers, however the dog walking park is great as is the pub on site that is handy but with no other pub in walking distance the only choice.

We are used to walking but it is a road walk to Ullswater Lake and a good drive to Windermere. There are no local shops so all provisions need to be taken. There is a shop on site but we did not use it.

In all honesty very expensive I expected something special, unfortunately it did not deliver for 30 night.

We were tempted to leave after the first night and I would describe it as formal rather than friendly. We asked for an alternative pitch but were offered one other even more central, , , yet on our stay we saw lots of other pitches that remained vacant. You get what you are given.

Sorry but would not recommend or return.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Stephenvp 2 reviews from this member

The Quiet site is situated high above Ullswater, this provides great views, we stayed for 12 nights. This also presents access problems, both access roads up to the Quiet site are very narrow and steep. We had many problems with passing and on more than one occasion felt other local users were less helpful than they could have been, driving too fast and refusing to back up when this was the best and safest options. The site directions say use the road next to the pub, this is in fact the most dangerous and I would recommend driving to the next right turn and following the road up. It is wider for longer and safer.

The toilet block is new and clean with plenty of hot water. There maybe a problem early in the morning when the site is busy as there are limited showers. This was not a problem for us except at the weekends. The site is well spread out with all the toilet blocks, pot wash, rubbish collections, pub and shop in the same area at the entrance to the site.

The tent field could be some distance from these services therefore a walk of around 3/4 minutes each time (each way). This was a real problem at night! There could and should be a toilet facility at the top of the site. Many tent and pod users were using camping khazies/buckets due to the lack of services at the side and top of the site (not good).

The play area was fine for younger children, the games room in the pub/play room is basic and not well presented.

The site states there is free wifi access, which is true, only if you stand at the toilet block. This should say limited wifi access.

The pub is old and has a nice log fire, that's it, could do more with the pub to ensure a welcome and happy atmosphere! I don't understand why hot snacks could not be sold, soup, pies etc, everywhere else manages to offer this service.

The local area is great, lots to do, lots of local attractions. However, if you are based at the Quiet site you will need to drive to most of these. Pooley Bridge is closest, good pubs, cafe and very friendly people. I would recommend staying closer to Pooley Bridge. There are many options for camping in the area. The Quiet site also appeared to be 3. 00 more expensive per night for us compared with many other sites we came across, with similar or better facilities.

The ground is pea shingle and grass, this does help with drainage, however we had to replace both our air beds due to holes. We have a footprint and ground sheet before the airbeds, but they still managed to bet holes in them. We purchased new airbeds from Go Out Doors in Penrith, 6 miles away, life saver! I then used the old beds as under lay for the new beds and this worked well. I know airbeds don't last for long, these were new and had only been used for 3 nights previously. They were fine before!

Overall, the quiet site is very good for caravans/campervans, after the access issues. It does not appear to be good for tents, poor ground surface, tents are the furthest away from the services, which they need more than the caravans/statics/campervans, which appears odd!

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: John and Beryl 2 reviews from this member

This site was perfect for what we wanted - which was to simply get away and chill out in peace and quiet.

The facilities were all you needed clean and well maintained - the staff were very friendly and helpful

The bar and eating facilities were adequate - the location was perfect - ideal spot for getting around the local places of interest - ideal for getting to the lake for the cruisers and for getting to Penrith if you needed to for a touch of retail therapy

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: DoreenH01 3 reviews from this member

Arrived on the Saturday and the owner showed us to our site which was near to the amenities, which is what I wanted as I am bad at walking. The shower block is very clean and the showers are great.

No tv reception but we bought an aerial booster and could then get only BBC channels. Lovely little dog walk area.

This site certainly lives up to its name as it is very quiet.

There is a lovely bar with family area and a log fire which is great on a cool night, dogs are allowed in the bar. There is also a small shop.

We had a lovely week and would recommend this site.

Previous     211 Reviews in total, now showing 51 to 60      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win an Abberley 2 Lightweight Touring Tent Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to 175!

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough - 22nd to 23rd April