Visitor Reviews - Devizes Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Wiltshire > Site Reviews

Devizes Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Spout Lane
Nr Seend
Melksham
Wiltshire   (Browse area)
SN12 6RN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m

Reviews:  103 in total, now showing 31 to 36                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Riff 8 reviews from this member

We spent a week here and I've got to say, I'm very tempted to return.

Showers and toilets were up to the usual Club standards - always immaculate. We were placed on a flat, sheltered pitch which we found ideal.

The Three Magpies pub nearby does fabulous meals and the beer is reasonably priced. There are a few other pubs along the Kennet and Avon canal if you head in the direction of Melksham. As mentioned, one is a tad pricey but the others are better value for money.

The market town of Devizes is an hour's walk along the Kennet if you head West. You have to walk up the fascinating flight of locks at Caen Hill on your way there. Devizes itself is full of interesting shops and pubs and of course the Wadworth brewery!

If you don't fancy the walk, there is a bus service near the campsite entrance. The same service also runs all the way to Bath for a brilliant day out. I highly recommend the Roman Baths.

Will I be back? Absolutely - the next chance I get!

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Midwaymark 4 reviews from this member

First impressions are that this is a lovely site and I suppose it is, The wardens were friendly and very efficient in a military sort of way that seems to be the C&CC way these days.

Majority of pitches are hardstanding and quite close together, my opening comment to my good lady was that it was a bit like pitching on a carpark, good for those who like the more regimented site (I was reprimanded for not pitching correctly, my rollout awning might have gone over the grass and that would never do.

The facilities were of a high standard and kept clean and tidy, No recycling facilities were in evidence which was a bit unusual for a club site.

Pub within easy walking distance served good food, a bit pricey, and it got very busy, nice beer garden. Handy for buses to Devizes. Nice walks along the canal.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Trevor57 12 reviews from this member

This is a very well laid out and maintained site with plenty of hedges and trees. The wardens were very helpful and knowledgeable and will even aid your reversing onto a pitch if required. They manage the pitch allocation very well here i. E. If you wish and you have children they will site you near the playground and if you do not they will site you in another part of the site. Even though we were here in August and the site was full with every type of unit it was still a relaxing and peaceful stay. This site has recently installed a new barrier security system which is always reassuring. Also a one-way system operates around the site which makes life easier and unlike a previous reviewer we found it was well sign-posted as such. A disappointing element to this site however is that there is no recycling facilities whatsoever just big general waste bins at the back of the car park at the entrance.

The site is ideally located to explore the surrounding area; there are tourist information leaflets at the reception which also has a small shop. Best of all, the site is right on the Kennet & Avon canal for cycling and walking.

The toilet/shower block was always kept clean and tidy however it did struggle at this peak time during the mornings so for those that used these facilities there was some queuing to be done. During other times I expect they are adequate. There is also a family room and laundry.

There is a play area for children and a large area at the back of the site for ball games etc. Also at the back of the site is a dog walk area for those with our four legged friends. Dogs must be on a lead on the site which as non-dog owners we think is important and not once did we see a dog off the lead around the site, something you do not always see at a lot of sites despite it being a requirement.

The Three Magpies pub is a couple of minutes walk from the site (you will see it when you arrive). We had a couple of meals here and found it reasonable and the food good. There is also a very nice Tea Room on the canal at Semington.

Overall an excellent site and we will be returning soon.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: NJK1 1 review from this member

What a fantastic site!

Welcome: Booking was easy, choice of pitch and we were given help with reversing onto the pitch - I haven't always had this service at other sites. Good information was provided about the site, the security and the local area.

Facilities: Lovely and clean at all times, I never found the toilets dirty or out of paper at any time. Cleaned daily and with a nice touch of fresh flowers too. Plenty of hot water and a good space in the shower to get dried and dressed without banging your elbows on the walls!

Site: good privacy with well cut back hedges, newly laid roads and good clear signs around the site. The wardens always seemed to be out on the site attending to something or other! The security was good which is important to us. Lovely peaceful rural setting and so lovely to see the rabbits playing, my son was fascinated to watch them!

Play areas for children: good choice and space to play away from the pitches making everyone happy.

Local area: So many things to do nearby, the canal was beautiful to walk along with a few visits to the local pub! Devizes is a lovely town, Melksham is handy for shops and Swindon outlet is definitely worth a visit too. So much that we didn't get to do, we will be back again for sure.

So if you are looking for a lovely, friendly, clean and peaceful place to pitch up you will get all of that and more at Spout Lane. The managers cannot do enough for you to make your stay a really enjoyable one, above and beyond!

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dk168 20 reviews from this member

Loved this site, and it is local to me, only about 6 miles from home, brilliant!

Wardens very helpful and cheerful as always.

I needed an extra pitch to hold a picnic for about 20 people for Saturday during my stay, and they allocated me a huge area all to myself, magic!

My pitch was a grass pitch without electric, and my EHU hook up was not long enough to reach the bollard next to the hard standing pitch nearby. However, Pete et al had planned to lend me an extension cable right from the start, save me going home to get mine.

I have always wanted to stay at this site, however, it always get booked up at the times when I would like to go camping, as in during the quieter months before and after the school holidays, and have found out why.

Apparently there are only 5 grass pitches with EHU, and they get booked up fast. Also, the site is very popular with C&CC members who are entitled to age concession discount in the quieter months.

There are quite a few grass pitches without EHU though.

They are open all year round, and if the weather is dry and bright with little or no wind, then I shall go back and camp there during the Christmas weekend! They should be able to find me a grass pitch somewhere if I bring my 20m extension cable to go with my 25m EHU unit allegedly.

As for the facilities, as with other C&CC club sites, very well-kept, clean and tidy. Can't fault it.

There is only one toilet/shower block for the entire site. The ladies side has 4 showers, a fair number of cubicles with wash basins, ample of toilets.

Washing up area is located within the same toilet/shower block and is indoors.

Also family wash room and a laundry.

It has a huge playing field for ball games, frisbies and kite flying etc.

Next to it a large enclosed dog walk/exercise area. My dog would love to run riot in there if he did not need to be kept on a lead.

There is also a children's play area with a slide and possibly swings too, not far from the toilet/shower block.

The site is very flat, with wide paved driveways, perfect for cycling, which I intend to do so on my return, with my dog running next to the bike on a lead, he will love it!

The number of pitches is relatively small compared to the overall area occupied by the site IMHO.

The reception keeps a small selection of essential items, including bread, fresh eggs, and icecreams!

They do not offer a newspaper service, and would advise you to travel into Devizes to get them.

Devizes is only about 4 miles up the road, with 4 garages to choose from, one is opened 24h except for a short period around 21:00h when they change shift.

There are a number of supermarkets in Devizes, so food shopping is easy. Morrisons and Sainsbury have their own car parks. In the town centre, there is a Tesco Metro, Somerfields, and an Iceland. There is also an excellent butcher in town.

New World, the Chinese takeaway opposite the butcher is excellent. There are plenty of restaurants/eateries to choose from, sit down or takeaway.

Devizes is the home of Wadsworth, famous for its beers such as 6X, and they have organised brewery tours most days. Plenty of pubs to choose from in Devizes.

It is also famous for its Caen Hill Flight of 29 locks on the Kennet and Avon canal. Very impressive sight especially when one stands at the bottom of the hill.

The campsite is next to the canal, and one can walk to Devizes which is about 4 miles away. Or just walk to the bottom of the Caen Hill Flight to marvel at its greatness.

It is also next to the Three Magpies pub. I did not go there during my stay, so I cannot comment if it is any good or not.

I can go on about what is great about Devizes, however, that would be bias as it is my home town.

All I can say is that I am truly grateful to have this great campsite so close to home! It is a great base for those who would like to explore the surrounding areas, such as Salisbury, Avebury, Bath, Bristol etc.

And I shall definitely return!

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bob61 20 reviews from this member

Having just joined the Camping and Caravanning Club I chose this as my first club site. I had previously been given to understand from other members that club sites are second to none but my high hopes were soon dashed when I discovered this site seriously overrun with rabbits.

The pitches I was shown all had rabbit holes and scrapings, some deep enough to twist an ankle not to mention the possible damage to tent groundsheets.

I made my feelings known to the warden and on eventually being able to pitch my tent between holes he did come along and fill in those which I couldn't avoid just outside the tent door.

Once settled in I found the site quite pleasant but certainly no better or worse than many other sites I have been to. However, as a solo camper paying the per person rate with age concession of just 9.55 a night including EHU I shouldn't really complain.

The facilities were spotless and with plenty of hooks for clothing in the main area and the cubicles. The wash basins were in private cubicles with a light above the mirror and shaving sockets etc. Proper sink taps rather than those push button things. It possibly didn't help my initial impressions in that the facilities were closed for some 5 hours on one day for 'important maintenance' although access was made available to the family washroom.

There is a huge playing field for children at one end of the site and a small play area in the middle of the site. There is also a large dog walk and a nature trail but in both areas dogs have to be kept on a lead.

The site also has a very small shop in the reception area for basics. The staff were very helpful and friendly and occasionally popped by to make sure everything was alright.

The nearest pub, The Three Magpies, is a couple of minutes walk from the site entrance. The food is reasonable but I thought a little expensive. Staff there were very friendly too. There is another pub, The Barge, about a mile along the canal towpath and this seemed to be run mainly as a restaurant. Both pubs have their own campsites at reasonable rates.

The Kennet and Avon Canal is also two minutes walk from the site and there are good walks to be had in either direction along the canal towpath. The Caen Locks are about 3 miles from the site along the towpath and Devizes is another mile further on from there.

My departure was almost as good as my arrival. Not having been told a one way system operated within the site and there being no signs to indicate this, I naturally drove back the way I had come in only to find at the last minute when arriving at the 'in' barrier that I probably wasn't going to get out that way. I was then met by an unimpressed warden who begrudgingly let me out. When I suggested some 'one way' signs might be appropriate that didn't impress him either.

So, at the end of the day, not one of my better camping trips. I found the area pleasant to visit but I would probably try a different campsite if I were to return.

Previous     103 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 36      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Wiltshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Coleman Event Shelter from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!