Visitor Reviews - Devizes Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Wiltshire > Site Reviews

Devizes Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Spout Lane
Nr Seend
Melksham
Wiltshire   (Browse area)
SN12 6RN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m

Reviews:  98 in total, now showing 31 to 36                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bob61 17 reviews from this member

Having just joined the Camping and Caravanning Club I chose this as my first club site. I had previously been given to understand from other members that club sites are second to none but my high hopes were soon dashed when I discovered this site seriously overrun with rabbits.

The pitches I was shown all had rabbit holes and scrapings, some deep enough to twist an ankle not to mention the possible damage to tent groundsheets.

I made my feelings known to the warden and on eventually being able to pitch my tent between holes he did come along and fill in those which I couldn't avoid just outside the tent door.

Once settled in I found the site quite pleasant but certainly no better or worse than many other sites I have been to. However, as a solo camper paying the per person rate with age concession of just 9.55 a night including EHU I shouldn't really complain.

The facilities were spotless and with plenty of hooks for clothing in the main area and the cubicles. The wash basins were in private cubicles with a light above the mirror and shaving sockets etc. Proper sink taps rather than those push button things. It possibly didn't help my initial impressions in that the facilities were closed for some 5 hours on one day for 'important maintenance' although access was made available to the family washroom.

There is a huge playing field for children at one end of the site and a small play area in the middle of the site. There is also a large dog walk and a nature trail but in both areas dogs have to be kept on a lead.

The site also has a very small shop in the reception area for basics. The staff were very helpful and friendly and occasionally popped by to make sure everything was alright.

The nearest pub, The Three Magpies, is a couple of minutes walk from the site entrance. The food is reasonable but I thought a little expensive. Staff there were very friendly too. There is another pub, The Barge, about a mile along the canal towpath and this seemed to be run mainly as a restaurant. Both pubs have their own campsites at reasonable rates.

The Kennet and Avon Canal is also two minutes walk from the site and there are good walks to be had in either direction along the canal towpath. The Caen Locks are about 3 miles from the site along the towpath and Devizes is another mile further on from there.

My departure was almost as good as my arrival. Not having been told a one way system operated within the site and there being no signs to indicate this, I naturally drove back the way I had come in only to find at the last minute when arriving at the 'in' barrier that I probably wasn't going to get out that way. I was then met by an unimpressed warden who begrudgingly let me out. When I suggested some 'one way' signs might be appropriate that didn't impress him either.

So, at the end of the day, not one of my better camping trips. I found the area pleasant to visit but I would probably try a different campsite if I were to return.

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dan+Niki 2 reviews from this member

Just back from a fantastic week away. The moment we arrived we were greeted by the site Managers, booked in and all details of the site and security, wash block and all local attractions were given, we were shown to our pitch and assisted to reverse onto hard standing (thanks I normally mess it up!). Nothing seemed to much trouble for any of the site assistants or the managers. The site was beautifully kept and the facilities were spotless. A wonderful location next to the Kennet and avon canal which has a great tow path to walk or cycle and the pub and tea rooms not too far. On site play area although not massive is good and well serviced, there is further huge play area at the back of the site where children can play and not worry about being too close to other campers. There is also a good dog walk area too. For those who enjoy a meal out the pub at the end of the lane does wonderful food and great puddings

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: CK+B 25 reviews from this member

Our 2nd visit to this site (3 nights) and once again we really loved it. Quite a few units on site, but we did get to choose our own pitch, which was nice. Still a nice peaceful site and very friendly wardens.

Facilities clean and tidy, lots of hot water in the showers.

Doggie friendly pub (3 Magpies) just up the road, meals OK! Nice outside eating area.

Only one tiny complaint, dogs having to be kept on leads in the on-site dog walk, but plenty of walks nearby.

We will definitely return again.

Date of Visit: April 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Nikkid21 9 reviews from this member

Nice campsite although as a tent camper we did feel a bit surplus to requirements. Approx 80% of pitches were hand standing with ehu for vans and the grass tent pitches are over in one corner (near to tiny kids playground).

The tent area is flat and well drained with fairly soft soil. You just have to keep an eye out for the rabbit holes.

Very peaceful site the only noise coming from the odd helicopter as it follows the canal for navigation purposes.

Wardens were quite gruff, we turned up 1/2 an hour before pitching time and were ignored apart from being pointed to a sign saying pitches not available until 12. This is despite the fact that there were numerous tent pitches empty.

Have to agree with other reviews that 10.30 is too early to close the toilet & shower block. However they were very clean and no queues.

In the surrounding are we can recommend the Wadworth brewery tour. Also cycled down to Bradford on Avon and had a fab full English breakfast (served all day) at the Lock Inn.

Date of Visit: March 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: JudieT 1 review from this member

Visited for 4 nights, this was the second time as first visit was only two nights. The area is great for walking along the canal and for visting some lovely North Wilts villages like Lacock and Bradford on Avon. The many good pubs in the area make the canal walks even more delightful (though check the food serving times if you are wanting to eat).

In agreement with some of the other reviews that this is a quiet, very well kept, tidy site, but somehow you just get the feeling that there are far too many don'ts and the one BIG do is missing - DO ENJOY your holiday! Lots of 'no entry' signs, 'out of bounds' signs and other rules and regulations. The door entry system to the loos are very difficult to see, especially at night. It seems to be a site preferred by motor homes and older couples.
The way that pitches are arranged do make you feel as though you need your fly screens down to avoid being overlooked by your neighbours and that sitting outside is very much a 'shared' experience with your neighbours.

The hardstand pitches with gravel seem to be better than those with the hard flint-like stones which are not feet friendly after a long days walking! Will visit the area again because it is so lovely - but would prefer to try another site or the one in the pub next door, the atmosphere there is far more relaxed and that is what holidays are all about.

Date of Visit: February 2011 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Fleecygirl1 13 reviews from this member

2 visits this year, one with and one without the kids, in Feb and April. I was interested to see how they would enjoy it, as they hadn't been before. They loved the massive field and the play area was ok for messing about with other kids, though as the site is small we were conscious of having to keep the noise down for the mostly older people around.

The facilities block was warm and clean, the wardens were friendly but unobtrusive, the pitch allocation worked well. The site isn't the prettiest, especially in winter, but it's well maintained. The walks along the canal are perfect for a weekend, the Caen flight (and towpath) is usually shut over winter but the second time was open so we could have a good look, fascinating.

The pub next door did good enough food and decent beer and is cosy. The pub along the towpath (the Barge? Think the name has changed) was friendly and the food seemed a bit better, plus the garden overlooks the canal so is a good choice for a nice day.

Previous     98 Review in total, now showing 31 to 36      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Wiltshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!