Visitor Reviews - Oban Caravan & Camping Park

Gallanachmore Farm
Gallanach Road
Oban
Argyll   (Browse area)
PA34 4QH   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: +44 01631 562425

5m  5m  5m  1m  1m  5m  1m  5m   5m  5m  5m

Open: April 1st To October 10th

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire  Glamping

Reviews:  92 in total, now showing 31 to 36                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Fuzzyfreak 23 reviews from this member

We just got in in the nick of time having done Oban and the great distillery tour. Unfortunately it started to rain for the first time all week, but we were on our way home and I feel the holiday blues might have been kicking in.

I was also missing my daughter and I think she would have liked this site as I saw some kids enjoying the play area, but I thought that after the raw mountains and lochs of Skye, this site was a let down and being almost twice the price we were paying on Skye per night, not quite up to the mark.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Glassqueen 3 reviews from this member

We stayed here in one of the hottest weeks so far in Scotland so it made all the difference.

The site was a wee bit out of Oban and down a single road, not much round to go explore No Beach or rockpools which we thought there were, but there are amazing walks and beautiful views over to Kerrera Isle.

We received a nice warm welcome and were given all the instructions, the good thing is you can pitch anywhere we were lucky we went midweek because come the friday there weren't many pitches on flat ground available,

it is well sectioned off with campers in one area tents in another, plenty electric hook ups and good toilet/shower blocks although they could have been cleaned more often especially after grass cutting.

The swing park is just swings could perhaps do with a slide or other plaything, but our kids made their own adventures up on the hill.

The lower tent area is on a hill and a walk up it to the facilities. The back tent area we found much better.

The shop is great the freezer facility a great idea especially if you are staying longer than a couple of nights.

Bit pricey but on the whole a great site.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Weeeck 6 reviews from this member

Just back from a few days at this site.

Previous reviewers have been entirely accurate regarding the poor facilities, but we love the view hence our return visits.

This time however, we encountered a new problem.

On leaving the site we found the already difficult access road gridlocked at the Kerrera Ferry. It seems someone organised an orienteering event on the island without checking parking arrangements. The limited parking at the ferry was overflowing so people just abandoned their vehicles on the verges and passing places. Result total mayhem!

As I could not safely reverse the 1/2 mile to the site, it took nearly an hour of heartstopping manoeuvring to get out. We met the police trying to get in as we left and they were threatening a mass vehicle uplift!

We will still return but please be aware of possible access problems!

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Macks 2 reviews from this member

We've visited this site a few times - mainly due to the lack of decent (non-club) caravan sites near Oban. The single-track road from Oban is. Less than perfect when towing a caravan. Reception and access to most of the site is up a fairly steep slope. With speed-humps.

The site is in a lovely spot with good views, but the toilets and showers - while clean - are hardly 21st century standard (the block we used looked like it had been built and equipped in the 60's !)

Overall at £19. 50 for 2 of us I felt it was a bit over-priced.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Karenturner 7 reviews from this member

I didn't plan to stay here but missed the sign to the Oban Divers Centre site. I arrived about 7pm, was given a map and told where to pitch. That was it. Everything else I would have had to find out for myself.

I did find a pitch and set up, only to discover that I had pitched beside an EHU took me a while to find it when I was told I was should be elsewhere. I declined to move or pay extra as it was now 9. 50 on a Friday night and was leaving as early as I could the next morning - ferry to catch.

Were there facilities other than the toilet block. If so no one told me. The grass had been cut recently and everywhere you went there was piles of cuttings.

Toilets were ok, dish washing area - ok. I decided not to use the showers, they were carpeted in grass cuttings.

I paid £15 for one night, and on my next visit to Oban paid £25 for B&B. I know what I will do in the future

The view was great but I think that is about all I could say.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: TheDawgs 15 reviews from this member

We stayed here recently for two nights. Once you've navigated the narrow twisty road from Oban town centre you arrive at the site and go up the driveway to a well presented reception/shop.

We pitched up on the top tent field in the pouring rain. The toilet block we used was the one towards the lower tent field which we found adequate.

There were two showers in each the mens/ladies. We were both disappointed with the showers which produced poor spray. They wouldn't cost much to fix as I think it was just the shower heads that were the problem. But the toilet blocks appeared to be clean so no complaints there.

We used the designated freezer in the kitchen area to re-freeze our ice packs which was useful. There is also a cooker you can use in there. You also have access to a laundry room where you can pay to use a washer and dryer and there are some vending machines.

There are two dog walks which we did both of. One through the forest area and one up onto the hill. Our Jack Russells seemed to enjoy both of them.

Overall a very nice site. A quick word of advice to the people who run the site - don't cut the grass after a full night of heavy rain as all it does it make the toilets very messy and make huge track marks in the grass!

Previous     92 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 36      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers