Visitor Reviews - Cashel Camping In The Forest Site

Loch Lomond
Rowardennan
Glasgow
Argyll   (Browse area)
G63 0AW   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0845 137 633  or  024 7642 3008

Open: 1 March - 27 October

Reviews:  75 in total, now showing 37 to 42                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Redguscat 15 reviews from this member

My friend and I stayed for three nights at this site during the 'Glasgow Fair' weekend. Despite being a local holiday the site wasn't particularly full - probably due to the poor weather and poor forecasts for the weekend.

I found this to be a pleasant site, some of the problems identified by earlier reviewers regarding the upkeep of the site appeared to have been addressed. The toilet block was clean and well-maintained, although there could be a few more showers perhaps. Good washing up facilities and a well-stocked shop, which is just as well as the site is several miles from the nearest shop (Balmaha).

Lovely views of the loch although the site can't do anything about the idiots on jetskis / speed boats etc who blight the area.

Having stayed both here and at the neighbouring site in the last few months, I think I prefer this site - quieter, and no one revving 4x4s and putting boats out at 6.30am!

Date of Visit: April 2010 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: TracyJen 9 reviews from this member

Stayed at this site over Easter. Was dubious about what to expect due to recent snow a few days before.

Completely taken by surprise! What a fabulous site, right on the shores of Loch Lomond! Large hard standing pitches with Electric hookup, some with picnic benches. Site had two toilet and shower blocks with dishwashing areas at both blocks. Yes, as said in previous reviews, floors did get grubby due to mud, but mops and buckets were in both, so no excuse not to clean up after use.

Staff were exceptionally pleasant and helpful, especially when my Husband felt that river running through site may burst its banks during the bad weather on Easter Monday and block us in. Staff were happy for us to change site, even though it was unnecessary in the end as site did not flood.

Weather was lovely for first few days so had plenty of walks around the Loch and in the Country Park opposite. Our Dog had an exceptional time as he was obviously a mermaid in a previous life. On arrival he saw the water from the window and that was where he flew as soon as we parked.

Local restaurants had menus on site, we did not venture to them as they were about 6 miles away in each direction. Excellent Recycling facilities on site. Plenty of space for children to play as well as a designated playground.

Date of Visit: May 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Glencarron 1 review from this member

The location is stunning and idyllic right on the edge of Loch Lomond with Ben Lomond in the backround.

We found the site very quiet peaceful and as others have said it is a wee bit remote with the nearest town Drymen (Dri-min) a winding 9 miles away. The west highland way goes past the gate.

In our experience the toilets were very clean with lots of hot water there was also a washing machine, tumble dryer and ironing board.

We had a problem with our awning and the girl at reception came down and helped us to put it together we thought this was very helpful and kind of above the call of duty.

We will be back soon.

To sum up maybe a bit quiet but stunning scenery on Loch Lomond shore.

Have your camera ready all the time as the light changes constantly.

Very steep hill just after Balmaha a mile or two before the site engage low gear and you will not have a problem :)

Date of Visit: May 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Campergirl77 3 reviews from this member

Stayed for 1 night in a tent without EHU. Spur of the moment trip - woke to a glorious Saturday morning and decided to through the tent in the car and go.

Tried to get in at a few campsites on the way but were all full - so gave Cashel a call - they were also full but offered us a quiet pitch by the pre-erected tents without hook-up for a reduced rate. Turned out to be the best pitch on the site - away from the madding crowd and with a stunning view of loch lomond!

I have seen cleaner toilets and showers to be honest - but I think because the site was so busy they were finding it difficult to keep up! Nice shop with cafe - didn't try it and only bought milk from the shop but seemed well stocked.

Minor annoyance was the noise of jetski's - only to be expected I suppose - this site is very popular with speedboat and jetski owners - many of whom have seasonal vans pitched along the waters edge.

However all was quiet by about 8pm allowing us to enjoy a beautiful sunset with a glass of wine as our kids played at the little play park adjacent to our pitch.

All in all a lovely site but next time I think we'll go for mid-week rather than the weekend madness!

Date of Visit: March 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Amandajane77 3 reviews from this member

The first impressions of the site upon arriving were not that great. We booked the site through the main booking office and were sent no instructions what so ever. I booked a premium pitch with hook up and own picnic table. I feel that I was wrongly led we were expecting to get water drainage and own water on pitch sadly I was wrong.

In the book it said there was a coffee shop and the sites idea of that was to sit in site office and drink from a machine. Granted we went early in season and they were only just setting up. The site was a mess to get to our pitch we went over bumps and pot holes and through a quite deep puddle.

We felt the site was very neglected. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The views from the pitch did just about make up for the poor state of the site. The toilet and shower blocks were o.k but only one was open at the time of visiting so we had a trek over the muddy site. Alas it did rain a lot but the walks around there are superb. Will not be visitng again.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Enalla 7 reviews from this member

We booked through Eurocamp (who we have travelled abroad with many times). I was delighted that they were doing UK for the first time though and even more pleased that they had a few sites in Scotland.
The site was beautiful. On the day we arrived it was sunny and warm and we couldn't believe the location. Right on the Loch, as it was pictured in the brochure. The kids got their wellies out straight away and headed for the Loch. There is a river on site too, so the kids needed nothing more really. There's a small park, which is really for the younger child, and mine are all older, but like I say, it wasn't necessary.
The Forest Holiday's rep was an absolute darling! As it's the first time in the UK, Eurocamp are using the FH reps instead of their own, and she bent over backwards to make sure we were comfortable.
We had a pre-erected tent, which made a change from our own one, but there was no electric, which meant that we didn't have a fridge (as you do on the Continent). There is a 4 ringed hob and a grill though.And because it's Scotland, a fridge is not entirely necessary. We've been spoilt in the past though, so I really think they should consider it, because of the price. We were 250 for a week, but if you go with your own tent and have electric, it's cheaper?! So, I guess it's up to the individual.
The weather was changeable, but it's Scotland!, and this meant that wellies were pretty essential, but we had some great days. However the toilets got messy (see other reviews, all say the same) but because we'd become friendly with the rep, we knew that she was sometimes doing everything singlehandedly. I think it was a shame, as it let the site down and at one point they closed the toilet block nearest to us for 2 days! After a mountain of complaints, the rep got up at 5am! and cleaned them out ready to open. When you see that kind of dedication, it makes you not want to complain too much.
There are a lot of static caravans at one part of the site, cleverly hidden at one side, but lots and lots of space for tents and vans. It's on the West Highland Way, so there's a small area for one-nighters and they all seemed perfectly happy with it. The shop was very expensive on site and very basic. They didn't have bbq coals, but the croissants (baked on site) were delightful in the morning.
The midges were out in force day and night, worse in the evening, but it's the West Coast! Waking up with a view of the Loch is fabulous. It never failed to take my breath away.
However, as beautiful as the place is, I wouldn't go back. The road to it is gorgeous, but too remote for me personally. The closest town / village is Drymen (pronounced Dri-min) and I must have travelled that road about a million times (I exaggerate, but it felt like it).
We went to Stirling a few times, it's only about 29 miles away, for cinemas etc. Balloch is also closeish. I'd go to Stirling if you want shopping etc.

Previous     75 Reviews in total, now showing 37 to 42      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Wisport SilverFox 30L Rucksack Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 14/08 to 17/08 East Yorkshire
An affordable, fantastic weekend away listening to some great live Top tribute bands. Claim discounted entry!!