Visitor Reviews - Cashel Camping In The Forest Site

Loch Lomond
Rowardennan
Glasgow
Argyll   (Browse area)
G63 0AW   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0845 137 633  or  024 7642 3008

Open: 1 March - 27 October

Reviews:  78 in total, now showing 43 to 48                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Date of Visit: May 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Campergirl77 3 reviews from this member

Stayed for 1 night in a tent without EHU. Spur of the moment trip - woke to a glorious Saturday morning and decided to through the tent in the car and go.

Tried to get in at a few campsites on the way but were all full - so gave Cashel a call - they were also full but offered us a quiet pitch by the pre-erected tents without hook-up for a reduced rate. Turned out to be the best pitch on the site - away from the madding crowd and with a stunning view of loch lomond!

I have seen cleaner toilets and showers to be honest - but I think because the site was so busy they were finding it difficult to keep up! Nice shop with cafe - didn't try it and only bought milk from the shop but seemed well stocked.

Minor annoyance was the noise of jetski's - only to be expected I suppose - this site is very popular with speedboat and jetski owners - many of whom have seasonal vans pitched along the waters edge.

However all was quiet by about 8pm allowing us to enjoy a beautiful sunset with a glass of wine as our kids played at the little play park adjacent to our pitch.

All in all a lovely site but next time I think we'll go for mid-week rather than the weekend madness!

Date of Visit: March 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Amandajane77 3 reviews from this member

The first impressions of the site upon arriving were not that great. We booked the site through the main booking office and were sent no instructions what so ever. I booked a premium pitch with hook up and own picnic table. I feel that I was wrongly led we were expecting to get water drainage and own water on pitch sadly I was wrong.

In the book it said there was a coffee shop and the sites idea of that was to sit in site office and drink from a machine. Granted we went early in season and they were only just setting up. The site was a mess to get to our pitch we went over bumps and pot holes and through a quite deep puddle.

We felt the site was very neglected. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The views from the pitch did just about make up for the poor state of the site. The toilet and shower blocks were o.k but only one was open at the time of visiting so we had a trek over the muddy site. Alas it did rain a lot but the walks around there are superb. Will not be visitng again.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Enalla 7 reviews from this member

We booked through Eurocamp (who we have travelled abroad with many times). I was delighted that they were doing UK for the first time though and even more pleased that they had a few sites in Scotland.
The site was beautiful. On the day we arrived it was sunny and warm and we couldn't believe the location. Right on the Loch, as it was pictured in the brochure. The kids got their wellies out straight away and headed for the Loch. There is a river on site too, so the kids needed nothing more really. There's a small park, which is really for the younger child, and mine are all older, but like I say, it wasn't necessary.
The Forest Holiday's rep was an absolute darling! As it's the first time in the UK, Eurocamp are using the FH reps instead of their own, and she bent over backwards to make sure we were comfortable.
We had a pre-erected tent, which made a change from our own one, but there was no electric, which meant that we didn't have a fridge (as you do on the Continent). There is a 4 ringed hob and a grill though.And because it's Scotland, a fridge is not entirely necessary. We've been spoilt in the past though, so I really think they should consider it, because of the price. We were £250 for a week, but if you go with your own tent and have electric, it's cheaper?! So, I guess it's up to the individual.
The weather was changeable, but it's Scotland!, and this meant that wellies were pretty essential, but we had some great days. However the toilets got messy (see other reviews, all say the same) but because we'd become friendly with the rep, we knew that she was sometimes doing everything singlehandedly. I think it was a shame, as it let the site down and at one point they closed the toilet block nearest to us for 2 days! After a mountain of complaints, the rep got up at 5am! and cleaned them out ready to open. When you see that kind of dedication, it makes you not want to complain too much.
There are a lot of static caravans at one part of the site, cleverly hidden at one side, but lots and lots of space for tents and vans. It's on the West Highland Way, so there's a small area for one-nighters and they all seemed perfectly happy with it. The shop was very expensive on site and very basic. They didn't have bbq coals, but the croissants (baked on site) were delightful in the morning.
The midges were out in force day and night, worse in the evening, but it's the West Coast! Waking up with a view of the Loch is fabulous. It never failed to take my breath away.
However, as beautiful as the place is, I wouldn't go back. The road to it is gorgeous, but too remote for me personally. The closest town / village is Drymen (pronounced Dri-min) and I must have travelled that road about a million times (I exaggerate, but it felt like it).
We went to Stirling a few times, it's only about 29 miles away, for cinemas etc. Balloch is also closeish. I'd go to Stirling if you want shopping etc.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Brendanr2004 285 reviews from this member

This campsite is in an amazing location. It is on the lake on the eastern side of Loch Lomond. This is the best side to visit, away from the main road on the west. Walking in the area is great, with the Ben Lomond trail starting just up the road at Rowardenan. Water sports are great on the loch, and there are regular ferries to take you on excursions.

The site's facilities were good, although a little tired at times. However, it was very busy. Prices were slightly expensive, but well worth it for the stunning location.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Brown05 6 reviews from this member

Stayed for a couple of nights end July. Unfortunately it rained quite a lot and there were huge puddles across the paths and on quite a few of the grass pitches which were quite bumpy.

There were plenty of toilets and showers, but all the mud made them a bit messy - they could have done with a clean a little more often due to the wet weather.

The site was pretty basic really and was tucked away up a very windy road with a steep hill on a corner - we were glad we had a tent and didn't have to get a caravan up there!

There is a £10 deposit for the barrier card if you want to leave / return to the site during your stay, otherwise there is a parking area near the entrance.

It does have stunning views across the loch and is close to Ben Lomond if you want to walk up there - sadly the weather let us down.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Surfrat 4 reviews from this member

Have used Forest Holiday Cabins before and was so impressed I thought we'd try out their camp site as well. For the money they charge I did expect a little more and was on the whole a little disappointed.
The site didn't feel very tent friendly, we were offered very limited areas to pitch in due to the wet weather which whilst I understand is not their fault the site is in Scotland and I should imagine is wet a lot of the time!
The toilets/showers were ok, a bit grubby, over flowing rubbish bins. Shop was ok, food choice was limited. Great location, right on the loch's shore line. Probably expected more due to Forest Holiday's lovely cabins but think I'll be trying a different site next time, shame as I was really hoping for better.

Previous     78 Reviews in total, now showing 43 to 48      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers