Visitor Reviews - Cashel Camping In The Forest Site

Loch Lomond
Rowardennan
Glasgow
Argyll   (Browse area)
G63 0AW   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0845 137 633  or  024 7642 3008

Open: 1 March - 27 October

Reviews:  77 in total, now showing 43 to 48                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Date of Visit: March 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Amandajane77 3 reviews from this member

The first impressions of the site upon arriving were not that great. We booked the site through the main booking office and were sent no instructions what so ever. I booked a premium pitch with hook up and own picnic table. I feel that I was wrongly led we were expecting to get water drainage and own water on pitch sadly I was wrong.

In the book it said there was a coffee shop and the sites idea of that was to sit in site office and drink from a machine. Granted we went early in season and they were only just setting up. The site was a mess to get to our pitch we went over bumps and pot holes and through a quite deep puddle.

We felt the site was very neglected. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The views from the pitch did just about make up for the poor state of the site. The toilet and shower blocks were o.k but only one was open at the time of visiting so we had a trek over the muddy site. Alas it did rain a lot but the walks around there are superb. Will not be visitng again.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Enalla 7 reviews from this member

We booked through Eurocamp (who we have travelled abroad with many times). I was delighted that they were doing UK for the first time though and even more pleased that they had a few sites in Scotland.
The site was beautiful. On the day we arrived it was sunny and warm and we couldn't believe the location. Right on the Loch, as it was pictured in the brochure. The kids got their wellies out straight away and headed for the Loch. There is a river on site too, so the kids needed nothing more really. There's a small park, which is really for the younger child, and mine are all older, but like I say, it wasn't necessary.
The Forest Holiday's rep was an absolute darling! As it's the first time in the UK, Eurocamp are using the FH reps instead of their own, and she bent over backwards to make sure we were comfortable.
We had a pre-erected tent, which made a change from our own one, but there was no electric, which meant that we didn't have a fridge (as you do on the Continent). There is a 4 ringed hob and a grill though.And because it's Scotland, a fridge is not entirely necessary. We've been spoilt in the past though, so I really think they should consider it, because of the price. We were 250 for a week, but if you go with your own tent and have electric, it's cheaper?! So, I guess it's up to the individual.
The weather was changeable, but it's Scotland!, and this meant that wellies were pretty essential, but we had some great days. However the toilets got messy (see other reviews, all say the same) but because we'd become friendly with the rep, we knew that she was sometimes doing everything singlehandedly. I think it was a shame, as it let the site down and at one point they closed the toilet block nearest to us for 2 days! After a mountain of complaints, the rep got up at 5am! and cleaned them out ready to open. When you see that kind of dedication, it makes you not want to complain too much.
There are a lot of static caravans at one part of the site, cleverly hidden at one side, but lots and lots of space for tents and vans. It's on the West Highland Way, so there's a small area for one-nighters and they all seemed perfectly happy with it. The shop was very expensive on site and very basic. They didn't have bbq coals, but the croissants (baked on site) were delightful in the morning.
The midges were out in force day and night, worse in the evening, but it's the West Coast! Waking up with a view of the Loch is fabulous. It never failed to take my breath away.
However, as beautiful as the place is, I wouldn't go back. The road to it is gorgeous, but too remote for me personally. The closest town / village is Drymen (pronounced Dri-min) and I must have travelled that road about a million times (I exaggerate, but it felt like it).
We went to Stirling a few times, it's only about 29 miles away, for cinemas etc. Balloch is also closeish. I'd go to Stirling if you want shopping etc.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Brendanr2004 281 reviews from this member

This campsite is in an amazing location. It is on the lake on the eastern side of Loch Lomond. This is the best side to visit, away from the main road on the west. Walking in the area is great, with the Ben Lomond trail starting just up the road at Rowardenan. Water sports are great on the loch, and there are regular ferries to take you on excursions.

The site's facilities were good, although a little tired at times. However, it was very busy. Prices were slightly expensive, but well worth it for the stunning location.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Brown05 6 reviews from this member

Stayed for a couple of nights end July. Unfortunately it rained quite a lot and there were huge puddles across the paths and on quite a few of the grass pitches which were quite bumpy.

There were plenty of toilets and showers, but all the mud made them a bit messy - they could have done with a clean a little more often due to the wet weather.

The site was pretty basic really and was tucked away up a very windy road with a steep hill on a corner - we were glad we had a tent and didn't have to get a caravan up there!

There is a 10 deposit for the barrier card if you want to leave / return to the site during your stay, otherwise there is a parking area near the entrance.

It does have stunning views across the loch and is close to Ben Lomond if you want to walk up there - sadly the weather let us down.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Surfrat 4 reviews from this member

Have used Forest Holiday Cabins before and was so impressed I thought we'd try out their camp site as well. For the money they charge I did expect a little more and was on the whole a little disappointed.
The site didn't feel very tent friendly, we were offered very limited areas to pitch in due to the wet weather which whilst I understand is not their fault the site is in Scotland and I should imagine is wet a lot of the time!
The toilets/showers were ok, a bit grubby, over flowing rubbish bins. Shop was ok, food choice was limited. Great location, right on the loch's shore line. Probably expected more due to Forest Holiday's lovely cabins but think I'll be trying a different site next time, shame as I was really hoping for better.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: LeQueen 1 review from this member

We'd read rave reviews about this site, so felt confident booking one of their Super Tents for the bank holiday weekend.

There's no denying that the location on the shores of Loch Lomond is beautiful. But unfortunately the camp site looked neglected. In some places the grass was 8-10 inches long, and the various pathways and tracks were deeply pot-holed, and were very much in need of repair.

The showers and toilets weren't especially clean. This situation was made worse by the consistent rain over the weekend, meaning that a lot of mud was being walked into the toilets. As far as I could make out the showers/toilets were only being cleaned once a day, not nearly regularly enough, especially in wet weather. The staff had left a mop and bucket in the toilets and left a notice asking people to clean up after themselves.

Our tent was roomy, with all the necessary basics. But it clearly had only been given a cursory clean before we arrived. The mattresses on the camp beds were covered in a fine layer of grit/sand and underneath the beds, and in the corners of the bedrooms, obviously hadn't been swept for some time.

The staff were friendly, but we arrived at 7.50pm to find Reception closed, despite it being advertised as being open until 8.00pm. But, they let us in with a smile, although they didn't seem to realise that we were arriving. We had booked only 5 days before, but in this instant techno-age I wouldn't have thought this a problem?

The camp site was busy, but I got chatting with several regulars who all expressed disappointment at how standards had slipped since the new owners took over. They said that although the new owners were friendly enough, their standards weren't nearly high enough for what had been a first class camp site. I had to agree - the whole camp site just didn't appear well looked after, it looked shabby and run down. It had all the facilities you needed, but everything just desperately needed smartening up. Cashel looked very much the poor relation compared to the immaculate looking Caravan & Camping Club site just down the road.

Locally, I can highly recommend The Oak Tree Inn at Balmaha. Excellent food and a good lively atmopshere. But don't bother with The Inn at Inversbeg. They have just had a multi million pound re-fit, and it looks very smart - but the staff are hopelessly inexperienced. Our meal took over two and half hours to complete, and whilst we were dining several other customers complained about their meals taking too long. One poor bloke asked a waitress for another drink, and she told him to go and get his own from the bar because she was too busy!

Previous     77 Reviews in total, now showing 43 to 48      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Coleman Event Shelter from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!