Visitor Reviews - Hillend Caravan & Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Wales > Glamorgan > Site Reviews

Hillend Caravan & Camping Park
Glamorgan   (Browse area)
SA3 1JD   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Open: April To October

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  69 in total, now showing 49 to 54                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Reviewer: Louelle 1 review from this member

I had a fantastic time here.
Important aspects of camping: company, location and weather. It is what you make it.
It would be unfair to review the weather as campsites have no influence on that! Having said that, if you are interested. It was fantastic on Friday and Sunday and let's not talk about the day in the middle:) However, even bad weather makes way for other activities that you wouldn't normally do if the sun was shining on a gorgeous beach. Ie - the pub up the road. Hellish uphill walk there and not much memory of the walk back!
2 Surfies in our group loved the windy Saturday as it meant better surf and what does it matter if it's raining when you are in the sea?
A group camping trip to celebrate a joint birthday. As a large group we had plenty of space and manage to grab a large patch of grass by cleverly placing camping chairs and tents and oops - accidentally leaving a large area in the centre! £18 per night per tent. We had a 4 person tent with 3 people and a 2 person tent with 1 person. The cost is still the same. Most are in a 2 man tent. Good value if you can cram lots of people in. Although, on a starry romantic night, sleeping 'al fresco' is an option! The grass is very flat and perfect for tents. Excellent atmosphere and all campers friendly and generous. Our stuff was safe and our tents untouched when we were awol.
Took far too much food and ended up throwing it away. There is a fantastic cafe on site and the food is excellent value. Lots of choice and tastes home-cooked as opposed to cafe-cooked. I was not disappointed with the cheesecake that I was told about! If no reason to go there for food, go for an 'out of this world' view. On a hot sunny day, the sand dunes look fantastic with a backdrop of blue sea. Look behind you for a change of scenery of green hillside.
If you want to show Wales off to your friends. There aren't many better locations than this. My Cornwall Camping surf friends are Gower Converts. Some of the group travelled 4 hours to get to the Gower and were glad that they did.
To confirm some points of the other reviews:
The campsite will not take bookings and is full by Friday afternoon. After being advised that it was ok for friends to check you in if they had the £££ and the tents. This was not the case. It took a very irate birthday girl to force the unhelpful Jobsworth at the site to do as they promised! You have been warned. Be prepared and smile it off.
No music late at night. Fair point but no need to be so smug about it!
It appears the facilities have changed since most of the reviews were done. I found the shower and toilet block to be very good, with plenty of cubicles and never a queue. Very clean AND toilet roll but no soap. Only downside was that they should have another shower/toilet block at the other end of the site too. Who needs a shower when you have the sea??!
I hear there was a shop, shame I didn't see it, as I needed to buy some sleep.
It is what you make it.

Reviewer: Rufustfirefly_1 1 review from this member

We turned up on spec for a one night here and were happy throughout our stay. The staff were all friendly and helpful from the charming lady on the gate to the staff in the cafe, and including the cheerful individual who had the thankless task of clearing litter around the campsite and on the beach. The new toilet and shower block was adequate for the job but I imagine the strain of popularity at peak times might prove too much.
We camped in the furthest family field and it proved quite quiet, it meant we had only a short walk to the beach. Good points: Clean, new shower/toilet block; spacious area (although maybe crowded at weekends); no dogs; good cafe with nice staff; no dogs; good play area for kids; no dogs.
Bad points: few litter bins; pricey shop (£2.55 for a kids bucket!); litter strewn dunes. Despite these minor quibbles, we'll go again, the good outweighed the bad.

Reviewer: Horn family 6 reviews from this member

Had an excellent time at Hillend, the facilities were excellent, could do with a few more washing up stations but that was no big deal.  The camp was quite noisy but it was packed out but come 9 o'clock it all calmed down so my baby who is 16 months was not disturbed.  Our 2 older girls 4&10 loved the park we hardly saw them the whole weekend!
The shop was great you could buy just about anything you wanted, and it was pretty reasonable priced.  The whole weekend was great, a complete success.
We will definitely go back to Hillend again hopefully very soon.

Reviewer: Bill2005 1 review from this member

I enjoyed my stay at Hillend. I do have to admit I found it basic for the asking price. The mens showers were hot, but my friend tells me the ladies is always cold. I would like some bins around the camp site to be better placed. They could also offer family meal deals. I found the staff to be very approachable and friendly,

Reviewer: Purpleturtle 7 reviews from this member

Firstly, £18 per pitch! The new toilet blocks were indeed spic-&-span, but most other sites I visit are too. At half the price! Everything you might need can be some distance away at Hillend, with the toilets and shop way up at the entrance. Not much effort gone in to the site design. If there were rubbish bins, recyclers and water taps dotted around the site, I didnt see them. To top it all the dunes and beach are littered beyond belief.

Reviewer: Lewic 2 reviews from this member

Lovely location, and good facilities. Showers have been upgraded and there is a very well stocked camp shop and good (though pricey) cafe.

Campers are charged per tent, and this has gone up to £18 at weekend, and £15 in the week - rather unfair if you are camping on your own, but maybe its the only way to stop people turning up with a huge tent each. It would be fairer if they charged per pitch area.

Personally I found the owners very friendly, and I wonder if the high prices are to cover the cost of clearing up the litter left in the dunes and on the beach - there were piles of discarded barbecues, cans, broken glass, clothing and food wrappers everywhere.

There appears to be two main types of camper here: surfers, who are generally very environmentally aware, and groups of lairy young people, some of whom care little about what mess they leave behind. I've never seen so many flash cars in one place, and I wonder if these are rich students used to having things given to them and done for them, rather than taking responsibility.

Its a lively campsite, so don't expect peace and quiet. They have a curfew on stereos after 10pm, which was annoying, particularly as they don't seem to mind in the morning when we were woken by Meatloaf at 7am!

Previous     69 Reviews in total, now showing 49 to 54      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Glamorgan   -   Search for a site

Win a Champion 3100 Watt Inverter Petrol Generator Win a Win a One Week Stay at Vauxhall Holiday Park!

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 13 – 18 October
Occupying eleven huge halls of the NEC, it is guaranteed to be an unmissable event. Win tickets!