Visitor Reviews - Newton Mill Holiday Park ( Darwin Holiday Parks )

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Site Reviews

Newton Mill Holiday Park ( Darwin Holiday Parks )
Newton Road
Bath
Somerset   (Browse area)
BA2 9JF   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0844 272 9503

5m  5m   5m  5m

Reviews:  207 in total, now showing 81 to 90                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Rees MJ 12 reviews from this member

Expensive caravan site which is quite cramped. We have a twin axle and found it very difficult to manoeuvre.

It's not a bad caravan site, but I would probably only use it again if I couldn't get into another one in Bath.

There is a pub on site but we did not use it so can't comment.

It is not very close to the centre of Bath but there is public transport available at a cost.

Reviewer: Iain666 1 review from this member

Great location but really expensive, small pitch and cramped.

The cost was £25 per night for a very small pitch, we were on the top raised tent section and the tent next to us was less than 2 meters away - so we didn't get much sleep as it was noisy.

You can walk to Bath but its about an hour so we used the bus which is £3.50 each return.

Didn't eat on site so cant comment on the bar.

The toilets were OK, fairly clean with lots of hot water.

The field by the stream looked better but you cant park near it!

Reviewer: Melicee 1 review from this member

Well, how I wished I had realised that the field next to the pretty little brook on this site wasn't threatening to toddlers at all. That part of the site looked lovely even though you have to lug your stuff from the car over a small bridge to get there, it means it is car free which is nice. This part of the site looked ok.

We, however, were put on a terrace next to a road, next to steps, next to a road, next to steps, next to a road. Very threatening to toddlers and quite knackering for parents following them up and down all the time. Also the smallest pitch I have ever been given, we don't even have a massive tent and our guy ropes were overlapping with the neighbours. The staff were pretty dour, offhand and rude. No babybath so to use an ordinary bath would cost a pound a go. Oh and some kids from the local estate ran round in the wee hours of the morning hollering and screaming. If you have small kids do be careful here, some of the lower terrace sites are next to fences with gaps big enough for them to crawl through and fall.

As I said, the river site looked lovely and if we were to find ourselves back in this area again I would stay here only if we got a place on that part of the site. But the staff.Really, a smile would be nice!

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Cherryberry 3 reviews from this member

Where do I start! Luckily I booked this site in January and was quoted £22 a night because others I spoke to were charged over £30.

The site itself is quite picturesque. The pitches are very regimented and very small, I did explain when booking that we have a large caravan and I will be putting up an awning. Unfortunately we were unable to put up the awning because of the size of the pitch and due to there being a large tree in the way! The toilets and showers were not very clean, the pub wasn't serving food when it should have been.

I would say the plus to this site is the short distance to Bath centre. If all the above issues were addressed this would be a half decent site.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mariaclarke101 1 review from this member

The camp site is very nice although I agree with previous reviews saying that it is very regimented and the spaces are not big (we had a micra and a 4 man tent and struggled).

When we arrived we didn't get as much as a hello and then the bare minimum information to find our pitch and the facilities. This put a huge downer on our visit as we were then nervous to ask any further information about getting to and from Bath.

Watch out for the online payment system. We were charged twice and are having trouble getting our money back

The site is in a good location, I think being the closest site to Bath city centre and its on the cycle path which you can also walk along to get into town. The toilets and showers were good, plenty of them and fairly clean (although the site wasn't that busy when we were there).

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Johnnyjpeg 1 review from this member

A very pretty site, well maintained with good clean facilities at the time of writing.

I believe the owners have just changed. Problem with the booking in that we wanted 3 families together - only 2 were actually together. Showed no particular desire to sort the problem out which was caused by ' a computer error'.

Campsite is split between tents and caravans. The caravan part looked adequate in size but we found the tent pitches to be too small and very restricting.

The restaurant was very limited in its menu which put us off, so I have no idea of the quality. The Bar area is pleasant and warm.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Jackiec28 15 reviews from this member

This is a well run site. On arrival you are given a map showing your pitch. There is and area with electric hook-up and a separate tent area without hook-up. One area of the tent side was smaller and very nice being next to the river. My motor home pitch backed on to the river where we were visited by ducks every night

The reception is well run I had read the comments regarding the staff but I had no problems with them and found them helpful and informative regarding transportation walks etc.The shop sells a range of essentials tea coffee, ice-cream etc. They also stocked a few toys and usual bits of camping equipment.

There is a play area for the children and there is a pub on the site that sells evening meals although we did not use this ourselves

There are 2 amenity blocks the main one in the centre of the electric hook-up area has about 8 showers and the same number of toilets and 2 hairdryers which are free and absolutely immaculate.There is also a bath for a small fee. Hubby said that the menís are to the same standard. There is a disabled toilet launderette and dishwasher area with 3 sinks and chemical loo disposal point at the main amenity block. The 2nd block is in the tent area and I believe to the same standard as the second smaller block.

We liked this site s there was a bus stop just outside and a lovely walk into Bath along the river which takes 20 to 30 mins to walk. The site is a busy site with a lot of people just staying one or two nights but was also a very peaceful relaxing ideally positioned site and we would definitely use this site again if we visited the area

Reviewer: RibTime 6 reviews from this member

I booked this site by phone in Jan 2009 and was therefore a little surprised to find I was being told that they were fully booked, not a good start. After a bit of tutting and murmuring they started to reel off the spare pitches with hook-up. The reception is also the shop and really doesn't contain the number of items I've seem at most other sites so another minus mark from me.

The pitches are a reasonable size and all adjoin the road so there is some traffic but everyone was taking care to look out for children. As is my knack it was tipping down when I put the tent up, and did so for the rest of the night. The ground round the tents seemed to drain well so there were no issues with a quagmire setting in.

There is a pub/restaurant on site and the food looked nice but was really expensive so we passed. Drink wasn't much cheaper either and during a moment of weakness bought a bottle of wine which set me back £12.

The website for Newton Mill says it was awarded five stars in 2008 for the washrooms/toilets. I would rate them as average and no more. As an example. There was a dedicated room that had a bath ( nice touch ) and there was always plenty of hot water. In the bath room was a sign that said please use cleaner to clean bath and floor. Neither was there a mop or any cleaner and hence the bath was 'hairy'. There is a mop in the gents for cleaning the floors after showering but the water was always very dirty. Two or the three sinks were blocked several days running. On the plus side whatever time you wanted a shower there was hot water.

There are effectively three areas to stay in. The first field you come to has no car access and no hook-up, set across a stream and amongst trees, so it's back to nature. The section we were in is where the tents are set up most pitches were level. Past reception is where the caravans/motor homes set up and also a second toilet block ( which was better than ours ).

The site itself is set back from the road and doesn't suffer from people or road noise.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bayleaf1 2 reviews from this member

To be completely honest I would rate this site as just average.

Despite booking for 3 pitches together (4 months ago) a mistake had been made and only 2 of the pitches were together. This was a big problem as we all had children & wanted to sit out together after the kids had gone to bed. The staff were not particularly apologetic about the mistake & initially told us they couldn't do anything about it as they were fully booked. They did however in the end do some swapping about and sorted the problem (for which we were grateful).

We had booked large pitches - however these were not large at all & left no room for the car beside the tent so we had to park right in front of the tent - obscuring our view. There was no space for children to play near the tent. In my opinion the site is also very overpriced! We have stayed in much nicer places much more cheaply - maybe it is because it is close to Bath.

The facilities were good / clean. The stream was nice and the main draw for us was the great cycle track (Bristol - Bath Railway Track) which was great for traffic free cycling with the kids.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Tipsy620tony 23 reviews from this member

We saw this site advertised in one of the club magazines and thought it sounded ideal for visiting Bath for 3 days. We booked it 3 months in advance over the phone and were given a reference number and a quote of £22 per night. We arrived about 1pm and showed the young woman on the reception our reference number and told her we were staying for 3 nights. She was so offhand and bordering on the downright rude, then asked me for £96. I pointed out that I had been quoted £66. She then stated that the site had changed hands, but the new owners would honour the quote. She gave me a pitch number and directions, but was still offhand.

This site is in a lovely setting as advertised, but it was a shame that the staff could not have been more helpful and civil. This site had stated that they had award winning toilet and shower blocks. Maybe they were once, but certainly are not now. There is no TV reception except from their booster, which was not working in our case. I could not get any member of staff to take an interest in repairing it, so I gave up. The pitches on this site are mixed tent and vehicles and far to close together. We got to visit Bath by bus from a bus stop fairly close to the site. We did use the club house and the prices were reasonable. After 2 days we had seen enough and left a day early. Shame, maybe we just picked the wrong time to visit this site.

Previous     207 Review in total, now showing 81 to 90      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Somerset   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth £467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!