Visitor Reviews - Newton Mill Holiday Park ( Darwin Holiday Parks )

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Site Reviews

Newton Mill Holiday Park ( Darwin Holiday Parks )
Newton Road
Bath
Somerset   (Browse area)
BA2 9JF   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0844 272 9503

5m  5m   5m  5m

Reviews:  210 in total, now showing 81 to 90                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Reviewer: Rcsyoung 4 reviews from this member

I was the organiser for a group booking at Newton Mill. They were one of the few campsites that I contacted that would accept a group of ten pitches.

On arrival they quickly provided us with our pitch number, and a small map that showed us the way round the site.

The site itself is picturesque with some pitches on a raised area near the main exit road, some on a lower area below that and then a little meadow by a stream for tents and a separate area for caravans etc.

We were in a tent and had specified a large pitch with electric hookup. Our pitch was excellent with easy access to everything that we needed and plenty of space for our Gelert Taal 8-person tent and estate car.

Some of the non-electric pitches did look very small and very close to the access road so if you need a big pitch you need to specify it when booking.

There's a small shop on site and a pub which we didn't use. The toilet/shower block is excellent. Despite being the bank holiday I only had to wait once and the only time that it was a bit dirty was on Saturday after a thunderstorm the night before so there was always going to be some mud on the floor.

They also offer a family bathroom with a bath and toilet in. This was a godsend as we used it to bath our boys. There is a £5 deposit for the key and you need tokens for the hot water at £1.35 each.

The playground was small but good though maybe a little old for our 3 year old but it was still a good timewaster when my wife was cooking and needed them to be somewhere other than in the tent.

All in all I was very impressed. A nice site - reasonably quiet and well maintained with very easy access to Bath by bike or bus.

I was concerned when I read about the brook but it is not a factor at all unless you are going to be pitching in the meadow. It is very shallow though and seemed to be a favourite with the pre-teens that were pitched down there.

Reviewer: Eddie Elddis 11 reviews from this member

Faced with a road closed sign at the roundabout at the end of the road leading to the site we telephoned for alternative directions. 'Find Twerton and ask somebody'. Not a good start. Upon arrival, and after realising that access to the site was unrestricted - something the staff should have known? - the grumpy staff allocated us our pitch. Two tents were erected next to the hard standing making it impossible for us to erect our awning. We asked for another pitch after explaining the problem. It seems that, despite booking some weeks before, they thought we had a tent. The alternative pitch was okay. There is not much room between units and the TV hook-up looked like something out of the ark and could not be made to work. No chance of the TV aerial working either due to the geography of the site.

The toilet block we used was excellent - clean, warm, plenty of hot water etc. The main rubbish and recycling bins, however, were full for the duration of our 4 night stay. The grounds generally were well kept and it was good to have the option of having a beer at the site bar. We did not eat there but the food we saw being served up looked good. This site is well situated for visiting Bath with a good local bus service operating nearby. However, they are charging top prices to pitch here and, in our opinion, you are only paying for the location.

Reviewer: MACKAY633 4 reviews from this member

We stayed here for four nights early august this year. This was an attractive site with a pretty setting. Shower blocks were grubby although they had had a lot of rain prior to our arrival. Washing up area was small & cramped and depending where you pitched could be down a steep set of steps.The little children's play park was lovely & safe with gates for added security. Some road noise & aggravation from motorbike riders caused some alarm too.

Reviewer: Rees MJ 12 reviews from this member

Expensive caravan site which is quite cramped. We have a twin axle and found it very difficult to manoeuvre.

It's not a bad caravan site, but I would probably only use it again if I couldn't get into another one in Bath.

There is a pub on site but we did not use it so can't comment.

It is not very close to the centre of Bath but there is public transport available at a cost.

Reviewer: Iain666 1 review from this member

Great location but really expensive, small pitch and cramped.

The cost was £25 per night for a very small pitch, we were on the top raised tent section and the tent next to us was less than 2 meters away - so we didn't get much sleep as it was noisy.

You can walk to Bath but its about an hour so we used the bus which is £3.50 each return.

Didn't eat on site so cant comment on the bar.

The toilets were OK, fairly clean with lots of hot water.

The field by the stream looked better but you cant park near it!

Reviewer: Melicee 1 review from this member

Well, how I wished I had realised that the field next to the pretty little brook on this site wasn't threatening to toddlers at all. That part of the site looked lovely even though you have to lug your stuff from the car over a small bridge to get there, it means it is car free which is nice. This part of the site looked ok.

We, however, were put on a terrace next to a road, next to steps, next to a road, next to steps, next to a road. Very threatening to toddlers and quite knackering for parents following them up and down all the time. Also the smallest pitch I have ever been given, we don't even have a massive tent and our guy ropes were overlapping with the neighbours. The staff were pretty dour, offhand and rude. No babybath so to use an ordinary bath would cost a pound a go. Oh and some kids from the local estate ran round in the wee hours of the morning hollering and screaming. If you have small kids do be careful here, some of the lower terrace sites are next to fences with gaps big enough for them to crawl through and fall.

As I said, the river site looked lovely and if we were to find ourselves back in this area again I would stay here only if we got a place on that part of the site. But the staff.Really, a smile would be nice!

Reviewer: Cherryberry 3 reviews from this member

Where do I start! Luckily I booked this site in January and was quoted £22 a night because others I spoke to were charged over £30.

The site itself is quite picturesque. The pitches are very regimented and very small, I did explain when booking that we have a large caravan and I will be putting up an awning. Unfortunately we were unable to put up the awning because of the size of the pitch and due to there being a large tree in the way! The toilets and showers were not very clean, the pub wasn't serving food when it should have been.

I would say the plus to this site is the short distance to Bath centre. If all the above issues were addressed this would be a half decent site.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mariaclarke101 1 review from this member

The camp site is very nice although I agree with previous reviews saying that it is very regimented and the spaces are not big (we had a micra and a 4 man tent and struggled).

When we arrived we didn't get as much as a hello and then the bare minimum information to find our pitch and the facilities. This put a huge downer on our visit as we were then nervous to ask any further information about getting to and from Bath.

Watch out for the online payment system. We were charged twice and are having trouble getting our money back

The site is in a good location, I think being the closest site to Bath city centre and its on the cycle path which you can also walk along to get into town. The toilets and showers were good, plenty of them and fairly clean (although the site wasn't that busy when we were there).

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Johnnyjpeg 1 review from this member

A very pretty site, well maintained with good clean facilities at the time of writing.

I believe the owners have just changed. Problem with the booking in that we wanted 3 families together - only 2 were actually together. Showed no particular desire to sort the problem out which was caused by ' a computer error'.

Campsite is split between tents and caravans. The caravan part looked adequate in size but we found the tent pitches to be too small and very restricting.

The restaurant was very limited in its menu which put us off, so I have no idea of the quality. The Bar area is pleasant and warm.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Jackiec28 15 reviews from this member

This is a well run site. On arrival you are given a map showing your pitch. There is and area with electric hook-up and a separate tent area without hook-up. One area of the tent side was smaller and very nice being next to the river. My motor home pitch backed on to the river where we were visited by ducks every night

The reception is well run I had read the comments regarding the staff but I had no problems with them and found them helpful and informative regarding transportation walks etc.The shop sells a range of essentials tea coffee, ice-cream etc. They also stocked a few toys and usual bits of camping equipment.

There is a play area for the children and there is a pub on the site that sells evening meals although we did not use this ourselves

There are 2 amenity blocks the main one in the centre of the electric hook-up area has about 8 showers and the same number of toilets and 2 hairdryers which are free and absolutely immaculate.There is also a bath for a small fee. Hubby said that the menís are to the same standard. There is a disabled toilet launderette and dishwasher area with 3 sinks and chemical loo disposal point at the main amenity block. The 2nd block is in the tent area and I believe to the same standard as the second smaller block.

We liked this site s there was a bus stop just outside and a lovely walk into Bath along the river which takes 20 to 30 mins to walk. The site is a busy site with a lot of people just staying one or two nights but was also a very peaceful relaxing ideally positioned site and we would definitely use this site again if we visited the area

Previous     210 Reviews in total, now showing 81 to 90      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Somerset   -   Search for a site

Win a Vehicle and Personal GPS Tracker from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 14/10 to 19/10 NEC Birmingham
Back at the NEC Birmingham this autumn - we have 20 pairs of tickets up for grabs