Visitor Reviews - Ardnamurchan Campsite & Study Centre

Bogha Caol Ard
Kilchoan
Ardnamurchan
Argyll   (Browse area)
PH36 4LL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01972 510766

1m  5m  5m  1m  1m  1m  1m   1m

Open: April To September

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  14 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin £200 Walkers Camping Kit and Tent AND £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: NEJane 21 reviews from this member

Arrived here, with my son, after a long and tiring drive on single track roads. Staff very welcoming, helping me find a level pitch suitable for my campervan. Struggled a bit to get it placed without encroaching on nearby tents but got there, in the end! No hook-up for us but we didn't want it - had a good view although the trees directly behind us, cut that part of the vista off. Ideally situated for a visit to the lighthouse. We cycled there, strenuous in places but far better doing the 14. 2 ml round trip than having to pitch the 'van again! Facilities are quirky, small but we found them to be clean, although some folks weren't so fussy in the single-sink dishwashing area as I would have liked. My son used the showers before me and said he got loads of hot water. Come my turn, after the long day out on the bikes. I got not a drop of hot water. Stone flippin' cold! Seems I may have left it late in the evening to expect anything else but I had a real strop on as had to try and freshen up in cold water, via a tiny hand-basin or opt to go back to the 'van and wait for the gas to heat up the water - too tired for that, needed my bed. I did bump into the owner, as he did a late-evening clean up, and his reply was 'Been a lot of showers then'. Yeh, worked that one out for myself! Anyway, besides that little glitch, we really did enjoy our stay - one word of warning though, the access in is very steep and, when driving a long vehicle, you just wait for the crunch as it 'belly's-out' - mine didn't but I suspect some low-slung models may. On a final note: recycling centres are like hens teeth in that part of Scotland. There are a couple of bins, on site but, if like us, you're carrying a load of mixed recycling, from your journey, oddly enough there is a big selection of bins, on the road to the lighthouse. We took our load there and discovered that is actually where the site owner takes the contents of his bins as he turned up, at the same time.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bikerphil 16 reviews from this member

We returned here in June, and spent my 50th birthday here! The site is beautiful. The drive here is quite tiring, from Strontian it is over 40 miles of single track road with passing places, but this ensures that it is not too busy. The facilities are basic but clean and adequate. The view is to die for. We stayed for two nights and saw white tailed sea eagle, basking shark, otter, seals and gannets from the tent. Ardnamurchan lighthouse is a short drive away, as is the tropical beach at Sanna. Highly recommended if you can manage the drive after actually driving to Strontian in the first place.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ossian 9 reviews from this member

This is a basic site, but has all you would want. Small washroom facilities shower toilet block and separate washing up area. The site has two levels one grassed nearest the sea which has to be negotiated by a gravel road and a further grassed terrace above. There are some specific hard standing areas for motorhomes with a limited number of electric hookups. Staff friendly and free wi fi

The site offers some fantastic views looking over to Mull.

Access to the site is off a single track road the road has quite a steep gradient so needs care.

The nearest local village stores is about a mile away which has a limited selection of food items but has enough. There is a Hotel that does food inn the village. Attractions Day trip to Mull foot passengers only or Adnamurchan Lighthouse and the fantastic Sanna Bay. Well worth the drive.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bikerphil 16 reviews from this member

This was our second visit to Ardnamurchan, the first was a bed and breakfast holiday. This time we had only one night here as part of a week long driving and camping holiday. After one night here, we left wishing we could spend longer here. This is a basic site at the end of a long and tiring drive, but well worth it. The camp site is perfect. The facilities are all perfectly fine, clean and loads of hot water. We plan to return next year for a few more days. Perfect! To make our overnight stay even better, as we made breakfast next to the beach whilst watching gannets diving into the loch we looked up to see seven white tailed sea eagles soaring overhead.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: PaulaMB 19 reviews from this member

Fantastic campsite. Our idea of the perfect site. Quiet, minimal but functional facilities, fantastic location, nice fellow campers.

The site is on a hill although the marked pitches are on the flattest bits. The pitches at the bottom of the hill are about 6' from a lovely (stone) beach with fabulous views of the bay and a direct view of Mull and three lighthouses which are lovely to see at night time.

We didn't see any while we were there but seals, whales, otters, mink etc. , are frequently spotted from the site.

The toilets/showers are more than adequate, always clean with a good stock of loo roll. There is a bothy with a table and chairs and lots of nature/marine wildlife books and local information. The owner of the site is a lovely man. Showers are hot and free. Washing up facilities in a shed with very hot water and a fridge. Wifi available. Pitch for two adults plus a child £22 a night.

EHU available at the top of the hill - we pitched at the bottom with an uninterrupted sea view. Bit wet at the bottom but that is unprecedented apparently with the dreadful weather this year.

It took almost two hours to get down to the bottom of the Ardnamurchan peninsula towing a camping trailer - single track road with passing places - not fun but definitely worth it.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Andy75 40 reviews from this member

An interesting site very inkeeping with the surroundings.

As previous reviews stated at first glance this place has an unfinished and somewhat 'temporary' feel about it, but once on site for over 5 minutes you begin to appreciate the work put the owner has done here in what is very demanding ground on a steep hillside.

The views are not the best I've stayed at but without doubt somewhere in the top 5 and can be quite something on a fine morning overlooking to Mull; Adrnamurchan can feel like the end of the earth at the best of times and feel this campsite has picked up on that very well.

The washing and toilet facilities are basic but more than adequate and always kept superbly clean and maintained. The small office and information building is well stocked and something of local interest can be found here particularly for those interested in the endless wildlife in the area.

Being a Saturday evening I walked down to the nearby Kilchoan Hotel for food and drink, the bar was full of locals and quite loud which I would imagine a wee bit off putting to family's and quieter people than me, but that said the staff and the owner could not have been more friendly and willing to accommodate me. All in all next time I will try the Sonachan Hotel 3 miles away though which looked much nicer.

Would I return to this site? Yes for sure but maybe not for some time perhaps.

Previous     14 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Buzzwing Tilting and Folding 4 Bike Rack 5 pairs of Weekend Camping Tickets for the UK Autumn Motorhome & Caravan Show

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 18 - 21 August 2017
East Yorkshire - the world’s biggest tribute band music festival, discounted tickets too ...more