Visitor Reviews - New House Farm

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Peak District & Derbyshire > Site Reviews

New House Farm
Longrose Lane
Kniveton
Ashbourne
Derbyshire   (Browse area)
DE61JL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  1m  1m 5m  5m  5m   5m  1m  5m

Open: April To Sep Weekends Only

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes

Reviews:  13 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mic60 7 reviews from this member

An unfussy, spacious, quiet site within easy reach of Kirkby Lonsdale. The site is fairly open with hard standing pitches and little screening. There is only one shower block which is some way from the furthest pitches but it is exceptionally well designed and maintained, with plenty of hot water and seats in each shower cubicle and screened off wash cubicles, one of which has a coin operated hair drier. Entrance to the washrooms is by code.

Again, only one water point and waste disposal.

We felt it was a nice campsite and value for money.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Paula53 1 review from this member

What an amazing weekend, back to good old basic camping compost loo the lot, not commercialized the nearest tent to us was well away for your own even a field away in places! A hidden gem of a place! WOW and WOW, the views, the animals horses, cows, chickens, geese and sheep all next to you, fresh organic meat bought and logs for the fire brought from the farm for our bbq, with a golden campfire burning away, lying on the airbed watching the meteor shower at the top of the hill! stress what stress? met a lovely lady called Jill who I got chatting too, she told me all about the animals and the history of the place and where to visit. We as a family will be going back as often as time allows. SHHHHHH please don't tell everyone!

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Wiggydiggypoo 3 reviews from this member

Spent 2 very comfortable nights here courtesy of Bob. The site supplies a field, water and dry toilets - that's it and its lovely. Bob the farmer is great host, very friendly to talk to and offers a great range of meats and eggs for sale. There are three fields and we stayed in the top most which feels very isolated and that is a good thing. The site was empty bar us but I understand can be busy so email ahead to check. Directions and information email from Bob was great and very welcoming. Fires in the supplied burners are allowed, bring your own wood (no nails) or buy from Bob at good rates. We were there for cycling and there are some great routes on and off road, and some dedicated trails for family cycling, in the area. Would recommend and next time am bringing a freezer box so I stock up on meat for taking back!

Ps Ignore the no star rating from me for kids - we had none with us so its n/a!

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: The clampits 5 reviews from this member

I would highly recommend this campsite for those who want a complete break from anything past 1970 :D it is brilliant for allowing kids a taste of their parent's childhood.

First, the information sent by Bob following email contact was accurate and ensured we had no problems finding the site or understanding the set-up.

Our greeting on arrival was friendly and informative and we made our way up a steep hill to find a level pitch with a great view. To the delight of our children (10 and 13) we were surrounded by sheep, geese, lambs, chicken, ponies, goats and a calf which they helped with bottle feeding a little later (the farm supports youth volunteers learning the trade so is good at supporting kids tasting working with animals while camping)

Facilities were basic, a tap and compost toilet but that is what we wanted. As close to wild camping without falling over. Children spent their time running around freely, safely and enjoyed a real freedom there. They also got an insight into animal welfare and the end product of organic, animal friendly farming.

Ashbourne is 10 minutes drive and the supermarkets easy to find to top up supplies as needed. Ashbourne itself is a pretty town and easy to spend a day pottering about. You are near loads of touristy stuff, indoor and outdoor with loads to do for all ages interests and physical ability.

I like a fire and a barbie, the fire pit was great and we lived on meat from the farm (and a bit of salad) buy in the morning so it is defrosted for easier cooking in the evening. I cannot begin to describe the quality of the meat apart from to say my freezer at home is stuffed with lamb and beef steaks and lovely bacon. We have one vegetarian who was comfortable with the process as she could easily see the quality of life the animals had. A truly illuminating experience with education from anyone we approached on the farm and we left far more aware than we arrived.

This is one of the nicest and most interesting places I have stayed and would highly recommend it. I will be back and was aware there were quite a few repeat customers while I was there. My only warning is that if you find happy noisy children irritating come out of school holidays. To be honest there is so much space it is hard to impinge on your fellow camper.

IMPORTANT recycling is key to the sires success, check what you can recycle as you arrive as you will get rid of most of what you use.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gsac44 1 review from this member

Me and my girlfriend searched online for a scenic campsite within the peak district area, and after trying to book a few others and being told they were fully booked, we came across new house organic farm. My first thoughts were, wow no electricity how will we cope? (we're new to camping and haven't yet camped without electricity) the answer is just fine! You do not need electricity when you are in this beautiful place, just set up camp, and enjoy the wonderful views that this site offers, views for miles and miles over beautiful green hills and secret paths. We were also worried that it is a working farm with wondering livestock, as I was bringing my boisterous dog but that was not a problem either as there were 3 large fields, and the one at the top of the hill had a gate to prevent animals entering. The animals ranged from geese to chickens to sheep and horses.

The site is by no means ideal for camping, a lot of it is on hills and uneven, but you can find enough space to set up on level ground if you look hard enough and the views you get from some areas of the site as stated above make it all worthwhile. Treelines block the full view from most of the site but there is enough space to camp with a direct view.

Where we camped at the top provided a sort of half view, with treelines blocking the rest, but the views from the top of the 1st of the 2-3 fields was the best and was spectacular in my opinion! There are fresh water taps located around site to provide drinking water, and its stated that there is a compost toilet but we didn't need to use it during our 1 night stay so I cant comment on that, we didn't actually see it either so there cant be too many of them for a large site that it is. There are no showers or shops on site and the nearest shop I'm told is 3 miles away in Ashbourne. This wasn't a problem though as the lovely owner of the farm (didn't get his name) provided me with enough supplies to make a few cups of tea and cooking oil for my gas hob that we sadly forgot to bring! such a nice guy and for this reason (and the price - 6 pp) we will be going back for sure; who needs electricity and a proper toilet? The site was full of kids which annoyed me slightly on a personal level, I would of preferred not to have them running around my tent shouting but that's just me. What I'm trying to say is that the site must be child friendly. 1 other small problem was the nearby A road. It is in the distance but when you really try to hear the silence, you hear the traffic, and when you don't hear the traffic you hear planes overhead (at least 10 a day) but this really didn't impact on us too much at all as the noises were faint (from the cars, the planes quite loud on the other hand).

The campsite is fire friendly and he sells fire wood on site as well as fresh meat from his cattle (burgers lamb chops etc) 1 tip I would give to the owner based on my own experience is to start selling groceries too! maybe he doesn't want the hassle but I myself needed to buy teabags, butter, sugar, milk and cooking oil which he did rustle up for me out of his own supply thankfully and kindly, but if he didn't have it I would of took my money elsewhere and I'm sure there is money to be made in this area; so don't do as I did and forget any essentials or you will be making a 6 mile round trip to the nearest shop :)

We're planning to go back in august with friends. Great place!

Reviewer: Lynnbym 1 review from this member

I have camped at Newhouse farm for three years now and thought it was time to leave a review, I thought long and hard before doing so as Bobs farm is a hidden gem and a place of serenity for me, but really I should share.

This is a campsite for those of us who don't need to be entertained by anything other than nature or a sunset watched while sipping a tin mug of something warming. Its almost like you crept in unannounced back in 1970 and time stood still, very relaxing for the tired over stimulated brain that is the everyday life for most of us.

planning on a quick overnighter this weekend. Ahhh bliss.

Previous     13 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Derbyshire   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more