Visitor Reviews - Port A Bhaigh Campsite

Altandhu
Achiltibuie
Ullapool
Highlands   (Browse area)
IV26 2YR   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m

Pitches: 42 HARD STANDS 50 TENTS
Open: All Year(ring For Notification)

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  35 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Tisfortom 7 reviews from this member

This site is in a great place especially if your planning to tackle the hills in Coigach. It has good facilities. I arrived here on a busy June evening to camp and the site seemed to be very busy.

The main reason I have marked this down is due to other inconsiderate campers and a poorly policed site. On my trips around Scotland I don't think Ive ever had to tell people to keep the noise down at 1am in the morning! I can can understand and live with peeps chatting quietly late at night but laugh out loud balking at 1am and later is out of order. The other issue was peeps cooking by the entrance to the amenity block both in the evening and in the morning where they moved to the middle of the drive hampering campervans trying to leave the site. Had the owners been on site at any of these times I'm sure this would have been sorted. Will I return? Probably, as I think I caught this site at its worse.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Merlin147 1 review from this member

This was our first visit and we will most definitely return! The site facilities are excellent, very well maintained and providing some sitting area with free wi-if for those rainy moments! The site location provides some of the most spectacular views on the west coast and is perfect for water sports, cyclists and hikers. The pub offers wonderful local seafood and also a takeaway menu along with great wine and beer. The locals and staff are friendly and enjoy the Craic.

On arrival we 'checked-in' at the pub and we were able to have our pick of any pitch. We chose a fantastic spot overlooking the beach and the Summer Isles. This alone is worth returning for! It's a good strong but short walk to the Pub for food etc. In all we spent 3 nights here, we will be back.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: HunterHymer 2 reviews from this member

It is an amazing location with excellent views. I was lucky as there were only 2 other units on the site so I had plenty of choice. I booked in at the pub whilst enjoying a beer and seafood. Not necessarily cheap but excellent quality. The site staff are very friendly and the facilities are excellent. It is not particularly cheap but I look forward to returning again as I enjoyed the cycling.

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Jpandsp 6 reviews from this member

The drive to this site was an adventure in itself: 15 miles along a narrow single track road with spectacular views but a little hairy if you met somebody coming the other way. However, when you get there it is all worth it. Spectacular scenery and a lovely little quiet spot

The facilities block was fairly new and included toilets, showers, dishwashing, fridge etc, all kept spotlessly clean and warm.

The grey water point was well situated and accessible for any size motorhome.

Wifi (a rarity in these parts) was an added bonus and could be accessed in the facilities block where there were chairs and tables.

The views were outstanding and we walked across the headland to a little harbour just over the way

The owner was friendly and helpful and also owned the pub over the road which served great food (if a little pricey), and was warm and welcoming (again with wifi)

Our favourite site on this adventure

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Bigyin247 10 reviews from this member

We had decided to take the van and the kids north. On arrival into Ullapool it was bright sunshine and stunning. We looked for a site through my 'caravan buddy' app on my phone.

To my amazement all the sites locally were shut. My last attempt was to the site at Port A Bhaigh and yes they were open! The owner advised me that they were about 28 miles away across from the Summer Islands. I looked on the map its a couple of millimeters away minutes surely?

Wrong. Its about 20 miles off the A835 on a single track road. But don't fear hundreds of passing places and one of the most stunning roads I have ever seen mountains, lochs, sheer drops, and by the way its quite busy so don't think you can rally drive your motorhome you will bump into a local.

Now the site, its brand new bit of a steep slope down but take it easy. We had a pitch at the waterfront and it was right on the beach.

The facilities include free WiFi, (but you need to be in the shower block). There is a wash up area with a couple of sinks, washing machine and a fridge. There is a fantastic baby change and shower area which was great for our 16 month old. The showers (4 in the gents) all brand new and immaculate. The chemical waste area is all stainless steel and looks like something out of a hospital but very clever and clean.

Down sides, none whatsoever the crofters even own the pub at the top of the bank - is this heaven?

My only annoyance is some of my fellow campers messy people they just didn't clean up after them and left the toilet floor swimming. Needless to say my 10 year old spotted this and grabbed a floor wiper and tided up.

Marks out of 10 ? - Easy 12!

But let's keep it our secret.

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Cwilkinsonfamily 16 reviews from this member

Lovely site with breathtaking views of the Summer Isles and sunsets to die for. Wee bit awkward to get to but worth it for the scenery on the way. Owner was very friendly and informative and the shower facilities were lovely. Only little fly in the ointment was the persistent smell of drains! It wasn't too bad to start with but was definitely getting worse. That and the fact that any sort of mobile signal was non-existent - but maybe that's no bad thing. Would definitely return.

Previous     35 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Highlands   -   Search for a site

Win a Wisport SilverFox 30L Rucksack Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 14/08 to 17/08 East Yorkshire
An affordable, fantastic weekend away listening to some great live Top tribute bands. Claim discounted entry!!