Visitor Reviews - Foxes Bank Farm

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Cheshire > Site Reviews

Foxes Bank Farm
Bridgemere Lane
Hunterston
Nantwich
Cheshire   (Browse area)
CW57PN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01270 520224

5m  5m  5m 5m  1m

Reviews:  8 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lindylou10 3 reviews from this member

The site is situated in lovely peaceful country farming area. We stayed 2 nights at the bottom of the main field, had electric hook up. Campsite is a working farm which was peaceful. Shower and toilets are at the back of the main farmhouse, the facilities are dated but adequate, the electric shower costs 50p for 10 mins, it was lovely and hot, there are no washing-up facilities, but we managed in the tent. Had a run out in the area which has numerous single track country lanes and a handful of pubs en-route which served food, sadly non within walking distance, would return as a chill-out weekend.

Reviewer: Pianoninjascott 1 review from this member

Highly recommended!

Booked in at this campsite at the very last minute when the wife said her 'bless'ed' i-phone said the weather would be nice all weekend (it rained, thanks Apple!)

Anyway, after multiple phone calls to various sites all telling me they're fully booked I came across Foxes Bank, read a couple of review and gave them a call. Most reviewers said the lady on the phone was abrupt, but she was great, very friendly and on the whole everything was very laid back which suited me down to the ground as having 3 kids and a wife, my life is complicated enough.

We got there at about 8, 30 and as the weather had gone from sunny to very cloudy and dark we drove straight onto the campsite, located our pitch(or area as nothing is sectioned off) and I found my name stapled to a fence post as promised by Judy, the apparently abrupt owner.

The site itself is based on a farm so expect some 'fresh aroma's' when you get close to the farm but nothing too nasally offensive near your abode.

The facilities were ok, 4 toilets and 1 shower, all at the back of the farmhouse but they were clean and they worked well so I have no complaints. The kids loved seeing all the cows and there was plenty of room near the tent for games and outdoor activities. Everyone was friendly and apart from us having to pitch close to another tent due to our 10m electric cable, we all had a great time.

I would highly recommend this site for a weekend away, as it has all the basic facilities you require and its a refreshing change from the norm. I wouldn't come here though if you want heated floors in the shower room, sky TV and a clubhouse, this place is all about the camping and nothing else but for 12 a night including electric (YES 12!) there are no complaints from me and I will definitely be coming back again, no doubt at the last minute when my wife consults her i-phone for the weather!

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Paul9 3 reviews from this member

This is a very good site in a great location.

The site is quite basic but with all the facilities you need.

We are a group consisting of all ages, and everyone enjoyed their stay here.

The owner is very friendly and helpful.

No silly rules at this site, just common sense and respect for others needed.

Don't be put off by negative reviews, we do scrutinise sites we visit and can't find any fault at all with this site, owners and resident campers all very friendly indeed.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: FamilyTaylor 1 review from this member

We chose this site as it was near to where we live for our first family camping trip (2 adults, 3 children under 5).

A wonderful countryside location in the fields alongside a working farm. Really easy to find.

Facilities included a shower(50p a time) and 3 toilets. Clean and toilet rolls provided, this is basic but acceptable.

Friendly, welcoming, great countryside location - oh and the prices are very good too leaving something extra in the pocket to treat the family!

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Juliajackson 2 reviews from this member

We recently visited foxes bank farm and found the site basic but very helpful and friendly

It is a working farm but was not a problem as the pitch was away from the farm

We enjoyed our 1 night stay very much

If you want peaceful quiet and rural this is the site for you

Bargain price of 11 with hook up

Thanks for a lovely stay.

Hope to return in the near future

The field was very well maintained and clean

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Clairehope 10 reviews from this member

We decided that the weather was too good to waste last weekend and set off for this site which is just down the road really. The scenery is Cheshire at its finest, rolling fields off into the distance in every direction, total peace and quiet.

I had rung to book and the lady I spoke to on the phone did seem a little abrupt, but the booking was no problem and the price 11 per night including hook up an absolute bargain. I like the fact that there were no add ons for dogs etc. When we arrived it is quite a long driveway off the road and I reached a point where I wasn't sure which way to go, but someone soon spotted us and waved us the right way. When we pulled onto the field the lovely lady on the first pitch came out to greet us. She explained that when the owner is otherwise occupied (this is a working dairy farm with all the sights, sounds and smells that brings and obviously the glorious weather means even harder work for farmers) she and her husband take over the meet and greet role - which they did very well, really warm and welcoming. Our name had been written on the little pitch post which I always think is a nice touch. I asked if there was a strict rule about vacating pitches by noon and was told that it would be fine to take our time on Sunday, which is always nice.

The site is a long field with pitches down either side and wonderful views in every direction. The facilities are basic. There are hook ups, a clean water tap, bins, and an Elsan disposal point near the entrance to the field. I found the elsan point a little tricky to use as it is a raised manhole cover so things had to be lifted up onto a little caravan step to be emptied - tricky if they are a little full and heavy - but it was very clean and 'unsmelly' so lots of points for that! There is also a little 'hut' near these with tourist information leaflets.

The toilets and shower were a little way away from the site round a lovely walk lit with pretty lights! They were very simple and basic and not 'gender separated'. There was a little privacy cubicle for washing and a good sized shower cubicle, this needed 50p pieces. We didn't use it, so I can't comment other than it all looked neat and clean enough. Despite my mobility issues the walk at twilight was really lovely, the sounds of the farm, the beautiful farmhouse and its garden were all just lovely! There were even pheasants walking around to add to the effect.

Because of the weather we basically chose to spend Saturday simply enjoying being in such a lovely place. Audlem is a pretty little village, with one of my favourite pubs in the world - the Shroppie Fly on the canalside. There is free parking on the right as you enter the village and the pubs mainly have their own car parks. There is a co-op and a few other shops.

The nearest town is Nantwich, which has a very large Sainsbury's on its eastern edge, a Morrisons and an Aldi both close to the centre. It is a very pretty town, with lots of little lanes to wander up and down and some very good shops, pubs and restaurants. Crewe, a few miles further on, is less aesthetically pleasing, but has all the amenities you could wish for! It's all my home turf so I could go on for hours about the wonders of Cheshire, but I'll leave you to go in the hut and decide for yourself whether you want to go to Jodrell Bank, Chester, Delamere Forest, The Secret Bunker or whatever, I was just there to chill in a field!

On the Saturday evening friends came to visit us as well as several other pitches. My daughter (11) was running about playing with their daughters (2 and 6). A lady emerged from the caravan on the next pitch and said abruptly that they were making too much noise. I was somewhat taken aback, it was 6. 30pm and they were three girls running about and laughing, I didn't see how what they were doing could be taken as unpleasant or inappropriate by anybody, neither did my friends. After the lady had left, a gentleman came out of the caravan and said that he did not wish us to think that any complaint had come from him that he and his wife had grandchildren and liked the sound of children playing. Unfortunately, it really took the edge off our evening and my friends left somewhat earlier than anticipated.

Other than that my few gripes would be that the grass was a little long and the rule regarding people keeping dogs on a lead, which had been stated to me on the telephone when I booked, was not strictly adhered to. I think many of the caravaners here have seasonal pitches and both they and their dogs know each other. I found it a little stressful because my retired greyhounds (never off lead whilst camping, not even inside our folding camper and tethered on 3m chains when outside) are not always predictable in the presence of other dogs, particularly not if they are small and moving!

As we were leaving on the Sunday the lady from the night before returned, she spoke to everyone on all the pitches and was much less abrupt with us this time, she was very helpful as we had misplaced the winder for our corner steadies and she asked someone on another pitch for the loan of theirs so we could get on our way.

It is a beautiful site, admittedly we saw it in the most glorious weather, probably not for those who like the latest in toilet block technology or who wish to leave their children to be free range, but for those wishing for the simplicity of life in a field, there's not much to complain about!

Previous     8 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cheshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Vehicle and Personal GPS Tracker from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 14/10 to 19/10 NEC Birmingham
Back at the NEC Birmingham this autumn - we have 20 pairs of tickets up for grabs