Visitor Reviews - Killiechronan Camping

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Scotland > Isle of Mull > Site Reviews

Killiechronan Camping
Killiechronan
Loch Na Keal
Isle of Mull   (Browse area)
PA72 6JU   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m

Reviews:  11 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: October 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Anderson24 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a couple of nights in October 2017. As stated in other reviews this site is just a strip of grass at the end of Loch na Keal.

When I stayed the grass was almost a swamp, there had been endless days of rain before my visit, and plenty more rain and wind during my stay, which of course is not the owners fault.

As for facilities, there are two toilets (1 x male, 1 x female) and one sink with hot and cold water for pot-washing, these are situated a few hundred yards along the single track road in what looks like a converted tool shed or workshop. This building is grubby and run-down and the toilets looked like they hadn't been cleaned for days when I visited.

The 'site' however is in a superb spot with beautiful views and plenty nature and wildlife to be seen, worth it if you don't mind the very basic and somewhat grubby facilities.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jon77lees 7 reviews from this member

Lovely views and wildlife - Great little site if you can handle roughing it a little. A grassy strip above the beach at the head of the sea loch. There are toilets and plenty of hot water for dishes a little down the road. If you need a daily shower don't bother. There is a well stocked shop 5 miles down the road at Salen. Only criticism would be, please put some soap in the toilet for basic hygiene.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kiyasmum 17 reviews from this member

I have been using this site for years and left a review a few years ago. I am still in love with this site, the location is amazing, eagles, otters and deer can all be seen as well as a wonderful view. There is still no hook-up or chemical disposal. The reason for lack of disposal is due to the sensitive sewage system. I think the more expensive sites will allow you to use their facilities. Water quality is fine but a bit of a hike to fetch, no problem with the barrels. Loos are still basic but clean with plenty of hot water. I spent two weeks here used the shower in the van, I even had snow but was happy and warm. This site is all about wildlife, views and relaxation. It now costs 5. 00 per person a night. I shall be back again very soon.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Weedave 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here for almost a week. Views are amazing. Very quiet site if I remember cost was 4 per person per night. No hookup or chemical waste disposal. But a great site if you want a bit of time away from it all. Also great for the wildlife around the loch na keal area with otters and eagles(golden and white tailed )on you're door step. Toilet block fairly basic but we never really used it and it serves its purpose. For facilities I have rated 5/10 but that's not what this site is about its more of wild camping with small facilities so I wish I could put n/a

Reviewer: Empuddingcat 1 review from this member

Well, we were totally spoiled on our first expedition to Mull. We went straight to Killiechronan as it had been recommended by a friend and we did plan to move about and experience some true wild camping; however we were so blow away by this site that we just decided to stay. We got sea eagles every day, huge salmon and sea trout jumping in the loch and river mouth, being chased by the seals, two sitings of otters and the monarch up in the bracken above us. The flora was spectacular also.

I was concerned about the scrap car comments - as we have two young daughters however you only see them if you really look for them. And if you like landys then you will enjoy looking at the series 1 & 2s etc.

The facilities are basic but more than satisfactory - you can have a good hot wash(ladies just need your dry shampoo!) Absolutely no issues with water quality - and I happily allowed my girls to wander to the loo's alone after a little chat telling them what to do if a car was passing ( hardly any at all).

You pay on a daily basis, if you need any local knowledge they will more than happily offer it to you willingly.

We will be returning for sure. For those complaining about the 4 fee I check out other camp site prices on Mull. I certainly do not want to be paying all that additional cost for the sake of a shower.

Reviewer: Mudcheck 1 review from this member

I came across Killiechronan whilst searching for Mull campsites on google. The location is stunning with terrific views all around, if you are looking to spend your time watching the wildlife this place is perfect.

During my time there I had White Tail and Golden Eagle most days with the White Tail flying directly over my tent on route to Loch Ba. I managed to see an otter and got within fifty feet of him, there were seals chasing the Salmon which were constantly jumping from the Loch. Deer were always on the edges of the hillsides plantations.

The camping area is level but it is was hard to drive tent pegs in my pitch due to the stone under the grassy surface. No problem having a fire, I lit mine in the previous campers pitch with the only problem being finding fuel. Managed to purchase couple of bags of logs from the the petrol station and strap them to my motorbike.

Toilet is very basic and no shower (very good public one in Tobe)but plenty of hot water. The fella said he wants to keep it that way because it keeps his customers to a certain type and he had no plans for motor home electricity hook ups either.

If you want cheap wild camping in a perfect location this is the place, and I say that reluctantly because I would like to keep it a secret but then again it won't suit everyone.

Previous     11 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Isle of Mull   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more