Visitor Reviews - The Oven

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > New Forest & Hampshire > Site Reviews

The Oven
Manor Road
Hayling Island
Hampshire   (Browse area)
PO11 0QX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m   5m  5m  5m  5m   5m

Open: March To November

Reviews:  53 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Tinytina 8 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a week, it was the first time that I have been to the area but I'm sure I would go again, And when I do come back to the area this site is where I would stay again.

Most of the people who stay here do so for the whole season so they seemed to want to look after the place (there was only one teenager who lived there was a bit of a pain, but he never caused me any problems apart from his swearing), The site is very well looked after and very very clean, lovely hot showers(hot water all day) nice cheap cafe on site as well as a little( but very well stocked) shop

If I had to say one bad thing it would have to be the fact that they charge you to use the little outside pool, , we never used the pool but it seemed to be well used.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Abimatt 2 reviews from this member

Ok I will be fair and give the positives first. The shop on the site is very well stocked with a friendly shop assistant and the stock is not overpriced as most campsites are.

I'm afraid that is where it stops.

We arrived (family of 4 with and 11yr old and 9yr old) with our large tent and electric hook up. We were directed to our pitch that had been booked 6 months in advance. Bang smack under overhead power lines, backing on to someone's garden and right next to a main road!

Nevermind, we pitched up and settled in for our 5 night stay. Time for the loo and shower. The tents are the furthest away from the facilities although tents are the places with no facilities - I can never understand this! The toilets have no lights, the showers have nowhere to put anything other than outside your cubicle and when you are done there is no socket anywhere to be found for your hair dryer! (I behave and don't use the tent electric as that is only 12v!). To be fair, the showers were nice and hot and there was toilet paper in the loos but beware if someone comes in to the room after you and leaves the door ajar - it is freezing.

The kids decided to play in the play park which looked good enough. Mistake - it was over-run with smoking, swearing teenagers.

So back to our tent to relax and chill out - next mistake! The field was full of loud obnoxious youths who had no consideration for their fellow campers and played their thumping music for hours on end.

We spent our days in and around Portsmouth dockyard, Southsea etc. Which were great fun even in the British weather! The park and ride into Portsmouth is great - cheap, quick, no hassle.

Now I have just mentioned the British weather - it rained constantly and by the end of day 3 we were pushing our fellow campers cars out of the field in droves! It was horrendous. Rain is not new to England and this campsite had not drainage whatsoever - people were leaving their mud soaked belongings behind.

One other positive was our immediate neighbours who arrived the day after us - they were great fun to be with, and even throughout the rain and noise we had lovely evenings with them drinking Pimms and playing glowstick hoopla - thank you!

However we ended up leaving a day early and will not be returning!

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Zoop90 2 reviews from this member

Just arrived home from a four night stay at The Oven and felt compelled to write a review.

The location of the site is handy. As a family it was easy to get to places once pitched. The on site shop was extremely useful and sold everything we needed over the weekend including a gas canister for our cooker. Our 5 year old daughter enjoyed the free reign of the play park. We could not find the ball field as described.

However, the remainder of the site is a big disappointment. The first night was not too bad, except there were a group of loud, foul-mouthed teenagers who we're running in and out of the park until gone 11. 30pm.

On the Saturday, many more campers arrived, and we were crammed so tightly in together that it was uncomfortable and unlike any other site I have ever visited. There was little notice being paid to the 20m fire precaution sign. Someone in our party likened it to being in the slums. Large parties arrived and were drinking and being loud well into the night, accompanied by their barking dogs. There was no on site management of camping etiquette at all.

Across the site are many dilapidated permanent caravans which give the appearance of a site that has been neglected.

The washing up facilities are adequate and I notice that there was a washer dryer for use. There is a newer toilet block which is better to use than the older version which is not lit and is very eery, especially late at night. I chose to use the older shower block as the cubicles were larger. However, there is nowhere to put your belongings inside the cubicle, only 1 hook on the back of the door. Again, there was no lighting in this shower block, other than coming in through a ceiling window.

Overall we were very disappointed in our stay and would not recommend. We will definitely not be returning here.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Mingmong55 1 review from this member

Liked: I thought the Oven site clean from rubbish

The guy on the desk and running it was very helpful and always around.

The position of the site was ok, we had bikes so as not far for us to get to the sea front, about 15 mins, tesco is about 5-10 mins on bike away.

Small playground, take away, swimming pool and cycling around, and shop all seemed very good, safe.

Disliked:

I found the static camping area a bit scary, people have their own caravans there and never spoke and the kids were foul, walked around to the field area and hung out there and just wrestled each other, played rough, swearing all the time and leaving their rubbish behind, and were not very polite to the general holiday makers.

The shower blocks, they could do with a face lift, were some new ones on the static area, but were dirty with tissues.

The cleaner did clean the tissues up and washed the floor and sink area, shame she left one of the important area, the actual toilets were not cleaned.

Would I go back, no. The people that stay there on a regular basis and some of the people that holidayed there really put me off. Not saying all of them as there were some nice polite people that were also staying on the field camping area.

The shop just needs to keep an eye on the kids from pinching stuff as they tried to get my daughter to do it as they said they do it all the time. But she knows right from wrong!

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Rogvanman 3 reviews from this member

Very family friendly with a cafe and shop on site that supplies most things. The pool is great for kids and can be hired exclusively if you want to. I think the it would be a bit crowded in the school holidays and the caravan side has lots of long term caravans that are a bit run down. The showers and toilets were quite good and the block looked fairly new.

Quite loud in the evenings especially at weekends. We enjoyed our stay here.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kevrow 1 review from this member

We are a 35 years old couple, with two children aged 2 and 4 never been camping before so all very new.

Arrival - pitched up on the Wednesday so park was very empty, staff helpful when booking. We pre booked electric and had the choice of three pitches in the tent area.

Facilities - What I expected as a newbie standard clean didn't have to queue even in peak time. Pool was clean and bin area was always well kept.

Location - Perfect really we cycle so took on a little bit of the famous billy trail. Shops were not far away 2 mins in a car and 5 mins from the beach.

Positives - Wednesday through to Saturday everyone was friendly children all played happily in a large centre area in the middle of tent pitch field which was really nice. All parents were friendly and joined in the fun or rescued the children from other tents when the play shifted

The on site cafe was an area I didn't eat in only purchased cold drinks. The staff were really nice and let us put our cool blocks in there freezer on alternative days.

Negative - There were clear site rules that being new I read and followed. Pitch in the centre of the peg, noise kept to a minimal between certain hours etc etc.

We arrived back from Pepper pig world on the Friday and found a tent had pitched within our guide ropes so very close. Which was slightly annoying as the field was still very empty. On the Saturday this worsened and a group of tents pitched very close to the corner we occupied so we felt quite cramped.

At around 5pm a large group arrived in all around 15-20 people including children. They had one tent 8 berth at the most and heavy drinking commenced which led to foul language and loud music way into the night and a large number of the group all stayed in cars???.

This slightly tarnished the overall feel of the campsite and lost the family friendly atmosphere. If the campsite had been a little stronger with the rules it could have stopped the this situation.

Overall I would go back and enjoyed most of my camping time at The Oven.

Previous     53 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Hampshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers