Visitor Reviews - Lytton Lawn

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > New Forest & Hampshire > Site Reviews

Lytton Lawn
Lymore Lane
Milford On Sea
Hampshire   (Browse area)
SO41 0TX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

10m  5m  10m  1m  1m  1m   5m  1m  1m  1m

Open: February 10 To January 3

Reviews:  112 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a £300 Prize Package including £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Lms0110 33 reviews from this member

Site is accessed from Lymore Lane just off the main road to Milford on Sea, first impressions were good, lovely small site with very helpful reception staff. Had a pitch in the centre but we asked to move later in the afternoon as the large tree at the end of the pitch blocked out the afternoon sun completely, staff very accommodating in letting us move. Adequate off lead dog walk, just the bin could have been emptied more frequently, especially in the hot weather, not emptied at all in the 3 days we were there. Amenities block clean but dated, but they have the largest shower head I've seen on a campsite and no pushbutton, Id rather this than a new modern block with pushbuttons. Lovely walk down into Milford along the main road pavement then down along the sea road. Nice cafe overlooking shingle beach, dogs allowed and directly opposite The Needles. Plenty of walking direct from the site, along the lane to Keyhaven then around the nature reserve to Lymington Harbour, about 14 miles round trip. Hurst castle was fascinating, you can either access the shingle spit from Keyhaven or Milford on Sea, or you can take a small passenger ferry from keyhaven. Probably my favourite site out of the 5 we stayed at on this tour along the Dorset/Hampshire coast

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Supersprinter 2 reviews from this member

We have just returned from 5 nights at Lytton Lawn. We had a super half term break with lovely weather. The site was full but the facilities never felt overcrowded. This was our 5th visit.

Unfortunately now at £50 a night for a small serviced pitch, we won't be able to afford to return. It has gone from being an affordable decent site, to pricing itself out of our price range, with no discernible upgrade in facilities.

Very disappointed.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Andy McKay 13 reviews from this member

First impression were good, very friendly welcome by wardens and site not too crowded. However pitching was nor the easiest as most of the grass pitches slope and we needed both ramps under caravan wheel to get level, some of the more expensive pitches were more on the level but to be honest the grass pitch was expensive enough. Also a very busy road is just the other site of the boundary fence so from 6:30 in the morning to late at night the traffic noise was very noticeable. Toilet block and showers were kept clean, the actual showers were really good (no silly push buttons and plenty of hot water through a big shower head). There was a good shop on site but Lidle and Tesco were just up the road if you want more choice. Great walk to Lymington through the nature reserve and good cycle routes through Christchurch and on to Bounemouth. Ate in the Smugglers in Milton on Sea which was fine. The access to the pool and Spa facilities on the sister site a couple of miles up the road was a bonus as the pool etc. Were very modern and clean. What really let it down at the end of the stay was what we can only consider as a jobs-worth attitude. We were due to leave on the Sunday morning as pitches need to be vacated by 10:00am (a little early we thought anyway) so I enquired about a late departure as the weather was very good and 17:00 would have suited us better. We were initially told we could pay for a half day which was reasonable only then to be told that there was someone due on our pitch so we couldn’t stay any later then 11:00am. This seemed a bit unreasonable as the site virtually emptied (being the end of the Easter week break) leaving lots of grass pitches all around the pitch we were told to vacate. I our opinion the warden could have been a bit more flexible in allocating the new visitor to an adjacent pitch. Although Litton Lawn had some good points, due to the road noise, sloping site and attitude of the particular warden we won’t be back. Shame really as the two previous sites on our Easter touring break were first rate.

Date of Visit: February 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: BigErnie 21 reviews from this member

We visited the site for the weekend and were blessed with good weather for our stay. When we arrived we were allocated a pitch in the area to the left of reception, we were quite surprised to see that this area was already full apart from our pitch however, being February it was still pretty quiet with mostly older couples visiting.

The site itself is tidy with level pitches, clean facilities and decent showers, the people in reception were friendly and helpful and there is information available for anyone wishing to go site seeing in the area.

Dogs are welcome on the site and there is plenty of walking off of the site, whilst visiting we walked down to Keyhaven and took the ferry over to Hurst Castle (both also dog friendly) then walked back into Milford on Sea for dinner at the Smugglers Inn, we have visited this pub twice and both times the food has been very enjoyable.

For us, this site is great for the winter months as the prices are low and it is nice and quiet, we will definitely be going back next year.

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Nuevoboy 52 reviews from this member

I was really looking forward to staying at this site, having read the Shorefields brochures and scrutinised their website. I was expecting an upmarket site but after a very friendly welcome, found the site to be a bit tatty and forlorn. Our pitch was right in a corner under tall trees and felt dark and depressing. The grass area alongside was unkempt and full of weeds and didn't feel cared for at all.

The facilities block was fine, if a little dated, but very warm with plenty of hot water and free hairdryers etc.

We cycled down to Keyhaven which was quite attractive and rode round to Milford on Sea, which seemed to offer a good variety of things (except bananas!) and we were told the fish and chip shop had closed down.

On the plus side we walked up to Everton village centre and had a meal in the Crown Inn. It was a Sunday evening and we thought that like most pubs they wouldn't be serving meals. However, what we had was absolutely wonderful tasty home cooked food and homemade desserts. The barlady/waitress was really friendly and the chef also came out for a nice chat too. Top class!

We also visited Hurst Castle by walking most of the way along the spit. It didn't look too welcoming but it was fascinating. For someone not remotely interested in history or militaria, I thought it was brilliant. A nice bacon baguette in the café too and we took the opportunity of rounding off the day with a nice ferry trip back to Keyhaven.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bob61 24 reviews from this member

This campsite has very good reviews and I don't want to spoil that, but it just wasn't my type of site being very much like a supermarket car park with caravans (mainly) parked in rows next to each other with just enough space in between to squeeze in an awning and possibly a car. The view from anywhere on the park was basically rows of caravans. Perhaps it didn't help that there was a caravan club meet in progress while I was there but due to how the pitches are positioned it would be pretty much the same at any busy time.

A previous reviewer mentioned views of the Isle of Wight and the Needles through the trees but at this time of year the trees were fully leaved and the field beyond contained tall corn so, in effect, there was no view. Except caravans!

The pitch I was initially allocated was slightly more sloping than the rest of the park, right underneath large trees, and quite damp under foot despite there having been little rain recently. However, on the plus side the warden on duty was extremely kind and helpful (and tolerant) and gave me a map of the site with a choice of available pitches. These were mostly along the edges of the park with one stuck right in the middle of the caravans next to the toilet block which would have meant a procession of campers passing across the pitch to get to the loos. There was just one pitch available that I felt was reasonable. Fairly flat and not quite right under the trees. Fortunate because I was just about ready to go home by that stage.

On the plus side, as mentioned, all the wardens were very nice and happy to have a chat which made for a pleasant atmosphere. There was a small shop for those forgotten items and importantly for many people, the washroom and toilet facilities were quite modern and spotlessly clean. Despite my comments above, if you don't mind regimented sites, this site was pretty nice and a good base for touring but perhaps not too tent orientated.

Beyond the site itself, there was a bus stop right outside but as far as I could tell (never could get to grips with timetables) the buses were infrequent. It is a fairly flat walk on pavement to the town and takes about 20 minutes. Beware that in places due to unkempt hedgerows, the pavement is narrow and traffic is fast. Keep your elbows in or risk a swipe with a wing mirror!

I was not too impressed with Milford itself. There were a couple of posh looking restaurants which one would feel embarrassed walking into with jeans and 't' shirt and the 3 pubs were not all that welcoming. Perhaps the best (and the cheapest since the price of a pint varied dramatically in each) was the Smugglers Inn. I never saw the highly recommended fish and chip shop open when I was there so on this occasion I made do with sandwiches from the little Co-op store which stayed open until 10. 00pm.

The highlight of my stay was the walk to Hurst Castle along the shingle spit early one morning (about an hour). Only to find it closed when I arrived. It opens at 10. 30am and I was too early but I couldn't be bothered to wait as from outside it was more like a WW2 fort than a castle and I decided to save my £4. 50 entrance fee (for more sandwiches). Good views across to the Isle of Wight at that point though.

Although I have lived in Hampshire for many years I had not been to Milford on Sea for many more years and I had an enjoyable couple of days, but not an experience I would want to repeat. But as I said at the beginning. These are personal views and others may well find the campsite and the area much more inviting.

Previous     112 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Hampshire   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth £49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 18 to 21 January 2018
Advanced booking discount plus we have 15 pairs of tickets to give away ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

24 Daily Prizes worth up to £120 and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth £500!
Open Today's Window