Visitor Reviews - Red Shoot Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > New Forest & Hampshire > Site Reviews

Red Shoot Camping Park
Linwood
(new Forest)
Ringwood
Hampshire   (Browse area)
BH24 3QT   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m  10m   5m  5m

Reviews:  160 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16

Reviewer: Crystal 41 2 reviews from this member

The camp site itself is in a nice location.

Pros

Plenty of hot water for washing pots.

Fresh baked bread

Staff very helpful

Level ground

lovely walks in the forst

Ideal place for bird watching

Cons

Groups of people together don't consider other campers through noise

Just over 2. 5 miles to get to main road then 3miles to ringwood nearest town.

Could do with toilet blocks for tents that are furthest away

No bins close by everything is by the enterance.

Using showers spray came into the drying area

Park is out of site from main tenting area so you have to go with the children

Have to use their ice blocks 25p a time to freeze

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Frazzle- 2 reviews from this member

Our family visited by this site for a weekend (us and 8, 6 & 2). It is in the New Forest, which was one of our requirements, and is family orientated. It is a very clean and flat site and is mostly tents with a few campervans and the odd caravan (probably as there are no hard standings). NO STATICS.

Positives:

. Is in the New Forest

. Has a spotless washblock with modern facilities.

. Flat pitches and welcoming staff.

. Croissants, pain au chocolat and rolls offered at shop (pre order the night before) -didn't try them.

. Cattle grid at entrance so no ponies walking around.

Negatives:

. When washing hands (in wash basins) water is scalding hot water.

. Pot wash - scalding hot water, no plugs in sinks. 2 drainers above the sinks for 5 sinks.

. Playground is at the entrance and behind (from the pitches) the washblock. Could not let the children go there alone. Could not see from any pitches or the Washing up area. The floor is sandy - so sand in shoes.

. Showers have a dressing area with small pegs (hold one towel or underwear). This dressing area still gets sprayed - floor is wet. Showers are sandy on the floor (could have something to do with the playground).

. Lots of groups on site such as 2 families together. Put me off going as there was no chatting or friendliness from people to us.

. Expensive at 38 per night for a weekend for a family of 4 (had 1 under the age =free)

Facilities:

. Modern washblock about 8 showers, 10 toilets, 7 wash basins, 2 hand dryers and 1 or 2 20p hairdryers (son said same in men's as ladies).

. Potwash 2 sinks undercover -5 sinks total with 2 high up drainers. No plugs.

. Laundry - didn't use

. Family bathroom didn't use

. Electric hook up didn't use

. Playground - sandy for 5s and up. Bad location for it.

. Shop - didn't use

. Entertainment - none

. Pub -it is situated behind the pub and car park of the same name. Didn't use.

Went crabbing at Muddeford. You can buy all the kit at the shop but we took our own. Bought a bag of bait 1 for a bag. Has toilets cafe and pay for parking. It is at Muddeford quay. Grassy area, good play park and picnic tables. Can walk -about 2 mins to the beach. Think it is called Avon beach. Did some kit flying up a hill with some walking too. Went to visit Boulder wood car park (all seem to be named in the forest). Has deer, picnic grassy area, walks, branches to make dens, ice cream van, horrible toilets and when walking around I believe this is an arboretum with lots of special trees.

Check in 2pm, check out 1pm (which is great for weekends away and for us). You may arrive from 9am but they cannot guarantee your pitch is vacant and there is nowhere to wait (except for the pub car park same
name) in front of the campsite). I believe the lady quoted me 5 to stay longer on the pitch. Have ice block freezing service which we did not use.

All in all a lovely site which is mostly tents on level ground and is great for small groups. The play area I would say (IMHO) is not child friendly and unsuitable for under 10,s (see above).

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Birthdayboy60 5 reviews from this member

A small friendly campsite in the grounds of a micro-brewery and pub - almost nothing else to be said !

Pitches are numbered but not separated, many with hook up. New clean shower/toilet block. Lovely walks through the New Forest and of course the pub for meals etc. Small shop selling essentials. Not much nearby, but for a quite weekend in the Forest it is an ideal site, especially for beer lovers - spend the evening in the Pub then a hundred yards or so back to the pitches

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Nukes67 7 reviews from this member

Fabulous site, good facilities, and having the Redshoot Inn on it's doorstep makes this campsite my, so far, TOP SPOT. We go with 2 other couples in April and Oct each year for the Pub Beer Festival (since Oct 12) and always have a great holiday.

Would recommend to anybody, but perhaps not family with small peeps during the Beer Festival periods.

Date of Visit: March 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: J Lo 4 reviews from this member

We picked this site to be in the heart of the new forest for a short break. Its a beautiful location. We had a EHU pitch, and a fab location next to a field of spring lambs. My little one was delighted!

The toilet block was always very clean, with plenty of hot water, even with a large race event taking place the same weekend we stayed. The underfloor heating was very welcome as we stayed in chilly March. Plenty of washing up space and a nice little play area, mostly climbing frame and sand pit. Its only small, so kept our 3 year old happy for a little while. It's a little limited, and I suspect much older children would not find it very entertaining for too long.

The pub at the entrance to the site, whilst looking very pretty was a little pricey, with a rather limited menu and with no kids choice, but the staff were friendly.

All in all the location is lovely, and if your looking for new Forest ponies and pretty walks its a fab location, we enjoyed our stay.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Rob2cv 3 reviews from this member

My Wife and I, along with our dog, visited Red Shoot at the end of September for a long weekend. The camp site is very peaceful set, as it is, right in the heart of the New Forest. There is miles and miles of gentle walking or cycling right on the doorstep and one always seems to have the the resident ponies or cattle to keep you company.

The showers and toilets were excellent, modern, very clean at all times and nice and warm too, as they are heated. The on site shop was stocked with basic essentials and the morning bread delivery was a service which we enjoyed. The campsite staff were all very friendly and helpful right from the telephone booking up to our leaving.

We tried the Red Shoot pub for one of our evening meals. Despite the mouth watering description of the dishes offered, our meals did not live up to the promise of the menu and would best be described as mediocre. Thankfully, the beer was better!

We would not hesitate to come back to this wonderfully peaceful and beautiful site.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Tlck9 24 reviews from this member

This is my 4th visit to this site. I do like this site overall, but it does get busy in the summer with lots of families and children.

I also find it an expensive site compared to others we have stayed on this week - at 30 no hookup grass pitch - when we usually pay 21-24 hardstanding/hookup.

Facilities though are clean, numerous showers and toilets and clean. I have never had cause to complain about how the site is kept.

What draws us to this site, is the pub & location - it serves lovely food, reasonable prices and dogs are allowed. This occasion they were busier than I have ever seen them - which is excellent for them - I wondered if they had new people running it???

Location though - right opposite is the New Forest with lots of walks straight from the door of your campsite

The only thing I have to say about this site. And it isnt really about the site as such - out of 6 sites this week (only one being adults only), this was the only site where the kids seem to shout and scream and cry. And we have had it each visit to this site - perhaps being more open than a terraced site where its less obvious.

I don't have children and perhaps this isnt the best site for people wanting to get away from children. However as I said I like the location and can put up with it out of season

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: BadToTheBone 3 reviews from this member

We visited Red Shoot in September with our neighbours. A tent with hookup for 2 nights and 2 adults was 68, total of 136 for both tents. We felt that it was worth the money.

The site is located in a really nice part of the forest, a lovely drive along picturesque lanes through gently rolling hills, open water in places and small fords in streams to get there. The site itself is quite open with good views of the surrounding heather covered hills. Our pitches were quite flat but some appeared to be gently sloping.

We checked in and were shown to our pitches by a friendly and cheerful warden. After pitching our tent, I found that I had snagged and punctured my airbed. So I didn't open a beer and was just about to head into Ringwood to buy another when I thought I would try the site shop first. It is surprisingly well stocked, and provided me with another double airbed, meaning that I did not waste an hour away from my tent, friends and that beer! The shop caters for most basic needs, including fresh bread baked to order (order the previous night).

The site is well kept, with an excellent toilet / shower block and outdoor but covered wash up area. There is a rubbish bin area by the loos, and although we did not use it, a laundry around the back. Recycling bins are available in the pub car park, and fresh water is never too far away from any pitch. Think I spotted a children's' play area at the top of the site although we do not have kids, so can't comment.

Noise is well policed, with polite, friendly wardens visiting any tents with lights on at about 11pm to ensure that folks are aware of the time and the site curfew. We came back to find the electricity supply tripped on both times we went out, but I think there was a particularly heavy user behind us - difficult to tell as there were about 6 hookups on the post we used. The wardens soon reset it as soon as they were notified.

We ate at the Red Shoot Inn by the site entrance one evening and it was comfortable, with friendly staff and food which while not Cordon Bleu, was not cordoned off either - it was okay for the money.

There is a lot to do in the area apart from walking / cycling in the local natural beauty. We went horse riding at the Burley Villas stables (not in Burley, but in New Milton) which we reached via Ornamental Drive, nipped into the quaint and occult rich Burley village itself for lunch afterwards, then back to the site via Sainsburys about 5 miles away from the site for an evening BBQ. There was a triathlon going on which went right past the site on the Sunday.

Overall, a really nice couple of days away with good friends, nice activities available away from site, fun on site among respectful fellow campers and some lovely memories to cherish. Red Shoot proves that you get what you pay for, certainly not cheap to use, but very good and highly recommended by our party. Just replace the virtually useless mop in the gents and you get 10/10 :)

We hope to return in the future.

Reviewer: Linus 4 reviews from this member

Just come back from 10 nights at Red Shoot. It really is in a lovely location. The views from our tent were lovely as we watched the sun set slowly over the trees in the evenings.

I agree with other reviewers re the well stocked shop. Our children managed to spend a fortune on all things that kids find all important - sweets, souvenirs etc! For us we enjoyed the fresh bread and croissants and the odd bottle of wine which was surprisingly good.

Our children (11 and 8) also enjoyed the play area and had the freedom of the site to use their bikes when they liked. During our stay we witnessed a large play area in the middle of the site close up to nothing as the site became busier. That was a shame as we really did feel like we had no space. Without any natural divisions such as hedging you didn't get much privacy although we weren't really looking for it but I guess others might. I understand that Red Shoot is a business and if they can sell the space they will but it can get a bit uncomfortable at times.

Most campers respected the 10. 30pm quiet time but forgot themselves early in the morning. They might be up well before 7am but it doesn't mean that I want to be. Still, it didn't spoil things really and perhaps I should have been up anyway!

The facilities were good and clean and the underfloor heating in the toilet block was really welcome despite the warm weather tootsies can get cold. If you hit your timing wrong their was the odd queue for the shower and sometimes the loo but we didn't have to wait long.

We ate at the Red Shoot Inn and the Alice Lisle down the road. Both were ok - not brilliant but fine for pub grub.

We did take the opportunity to use the bikes but were worried about taking our boys on road but we didn't really have to worry as we found a great off road route which only involved a bit of road. The shop has a good route map.

All in all a lovely holiday on a good site in a beautiful part of the world.

Reviewer: Clurnady 1 review from this member

Just returned from two weeks at Red Shoot, the site is in an excellent location for some fantastic cycling in the New forest, and the people who work there are lovely, however, there were a few things that we ( a group of three families) were not happy with, we felt that on quieter days, it was lovely and spacious, but the majority of our time there - they pack the tents in which means there is not any space for the children to play. We all felt that they could probably be able to afford to leave an area free of a few tents, which makes for a more pleasant 'feel', and happier children ! Also, you can't freeze your own ice packs ( which we have never known before ), you have to pay to borrow theirs! which seemed like unnecessary 'penny pinching'. We also found that the strict 10. 30 pm QUIET rule was perhaps a bit too strict - most nights we moved inside - to be nearer our sleeping children - who we never woke up once - but we were told off numerous times for being too noisy ! these may seem like petty complaints, or maybe we have been spoilt at other campsites, but we all agreed we wouldn't come back because of it. Also over priced - but I guess that, s for the location !

Previous     160 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Hampshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Dining Package, worth 124.98 from Yeomans Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!